Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2017 7:55:44 PM EDT
Last thread got archived. I started playing again recently and downloaded the first expansion. Still haven't beat the game; only working on my second Beast.

This game is making me feel old. I feel that I look like my parents when it comes to video games while I'm playing because I find it frustrating. There's just way too much to do and know, and the combat is giving me a hard time.

Regardless, I can't put the game back down now
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The "trick" is to think outside the box. BotW led me to do my best to wage asymmetrical warfare against everything I encountered. Use the environment to your benefit, use your slate powers to your benefit, make the best use of your weapons and gear, and more important than striking learn to BLOCK as soon as possible. Shields are ten times more durable than your weapons and in the right circumstances they can be used to reflect enemy fire back at them.

Also upgrades upgrades upgrades. Upgrade your gear (and the slate powers) ASAP. Then put your chef hat on and cook cook cook, figure out what produces the most powerful meals. But remember that you can't stack food boosts, so don't try to get double bonuses going (gold hearts aside). Use your slate camera to find rare ingredients and materials to get your cooking and upgrades faster. Learn to farm the difficult materials so you can get top level upgrades easier.

Also make sure you have all the photo memories collected before you beat Ganon.

I haven't played much recently but I beat the game with all shrines, all beasts, fully upgraded gear, fully upgraded "of the wild" armor (although the champion's armor gives you the hit points, which can be beneficial when fighting those damn lynels). I'm debating getting the DLC, but I think I'll wait to see what the second one is before I buy in.

Edit: Also locate the champion weapons and their fixers, some of them are pretty good like the Hylian shield in the castle.

Also learn to pair your weapons to the enemies you are attacking. Fast poke pole arms are really beneficial against jumping, scuttering enemies while slower closer swords are better against bigger slower enemies you can flank easier.

Edit Edit: Also when you can game the slowmo arrow shooting mechanic every chance you get. I always looked for any way to get a quick paraglide jump into slowmo arrow aim. Paired with the right arrows against the right enemies you can really fuck shit up fast. Also master the perfect dodge that triggers the rush flurry. That is the only way to tackle lynels without getting into a protracted war of attrition with them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#3]
This game seems like it would be fun but seems like it has it's pit falls like weapon durability.

If it were possible to just turn off certain aspects of the game I would likely get it and the system.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This game seems like it would be fun but seems like it has it's pit falls like weapon durability.

If it were possible to just turn off certain aspects of the game I would likely get it and the system.
View Quote
The weapon durability is really only an issue early on in the game when all you get are garbage weapons. As the game progresses and you unlock more inventory space and more durable, stronger weapons, you quickly discover your inventory is chock full of top tier stuff that you never get around to using. You also learn pretty quickly where to find good gear and how to disarm enemies and use their stuff against them. Nothing is funnier than that first time you disarm a bokoblin, steal his dropped weapon, and shove it up his ass.

Seriously don't let the fragile weapons thing dissuade you. There is nothing more fun than paragliding into a moblin camp screaming SEAL TEAM LINK as you proceed to absolutely take them apart.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:39:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah the master sword is almost a game breaker once you get it, particularly when it powers up around the guardians which allows you to make short work of them.

Lets turn this into a BotW screenshot thread!

Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Why use anything other than a pot lid to take down a guardian?
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why use anything other than a pot lid to take down a guardian?
View Quote
Slash the legs off with the master sword and each leg has a chance to drop an item. Nuke it with two reflect shots and you only get the loot from the body.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I paused on trying to progress the main story and am trying to increase my HP, Stamina, and Inventory. I'm using this interactive map as a guide:

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/breath-of-the-wild-interactive-map/

Anyone have anything better to help?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I ordered the entire 18 piece amiibo set to get all the bonus gear... $20 for the set of cards with the amiibo chip instead of $300 or whatever it costs for the actual figurines.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/533168538/zelda-amiibo-cards-sale-all-18-nfc?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=zelda%20amiibo%20cards&ref=sc_gallery_1&plkey=218caf76feb9e6f05d3c8883ae857ca26ebac64b:533168538

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#12]
That's pretty cool.  If I didn't already have the stickers, I'd buy that, for sure.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Coming along slowly. Beat a second beast, and did a lot of Korok and shrine hunting.

Also picked up the stealth, desert, Gerudo, and snowquill armor sets.

The amiibo chips should be here today or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Amiibo cards came in today. I started it off by using all of the cards that don't have exclusive drops, then tried for the exclusive Sheik Mask.

30 tries later and still no mask
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought the 8 bit Link Amiibo because I wanted the "classic Link" outfit that it supposedly drops, and it took well over 100 tries over a week of using and resetting to get all three pieces of the classic Link outfit to drop... only to find out the outfit is worse than pretty much all the armor in the game without upgrading it, and the Of The Wild outfit that you get for free for beating all the temples has the same specs and requires just as rare of items to upgrade.

IMO the Amiibos are a complete waste of money and effort unless you are buying them to collect them, or if you want to farm them for free rupies and low grade weapons.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:18:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I finally managed to get one piece of exclusive gear from each of the amiibos. Averaged around 30 tries for each. Some I got in the first try, a few within the first couple tries, and the rest were 30+.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:42:39 AM EDT
[#19]
After hundreds of save resets with all the amiibos, I'm only missing a couple pieces of armor and a few weapons. The Twilight Bow, Sea-breeze Boomerang, and Hylian Shield still elude me.

I didn't realize how ridiculously huge Biggeron's Sword is until I equipped it. Its sheath touches the ground

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I grabbed the Hylian shield when I went into the castle to get the 8th memory.

Then once you have the shield if it breaks you can buy a replacement in Tarry Town.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top