Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2017 8:13:54 AM EDT
I recently finished my first PC build, and now I need a monitor for it, my old monitor is a 1024X800(?) VGA only . I'm using the new PC on a 65" 1080p TV right now, which is not ideal for most games/tasks!

I think I'll stick with 1080p, games have already been absolutely incredible looking compared to what I'm used to on the PS3, and with a 6GB GTX-1060 it's probably about all it can run well with some new games. I've also been playing quite a few older games and you're lucky to have on 1080 as an option!

This being my first monitor purchase, I'm overwhelmed with all the choices out there! I'd like to stay around a $200-$250 max if possible. I don't play online at all so the "competition" grade stuff may be overkill for me, although I've been curious about 144hz since I could probably run some games well past 60.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#1]
i use asus monitors
look for one witht he inputs you like (hdmi? displayport?)
something @ 2ms is what i usually get.  
heck some even have speakers

oh and get 2, its just better with 2 monitors
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:34:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i use asus monitors

View Quote
I'm currently using HDMI since it's on a TV, but my card has a couple display ports and one DVI as well. I've never used those others before, my old PC and monitor is still on VGA! 

I'd like to get 2 eventually but for now I'm spending plenty on PC stuff, between the build itself, and now a monitor, and I really need a new keyboard/mouse as well, not to mention newer games!
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:35:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Asus PG248Q
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm currently using HDMI since it's on a TV, but my card has a couple display ports and one DVI as well. I've never used the others before, my old PC and monitor is still on VGA! 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i use asus monitors

I'm currently using HDMI since it's on a TV, but my card has a couple display ports and one DVI as well. I've never used the others before, my old PC and monitor is still on VGA! 
Displayport is what you want to use, it's required for high refresh rates and adaptive refresh (G-sync).
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Asus PG248Q
View Quote
That's about 2x what I was hoping to spend!
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:41:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Asus PG248Q
ASUS VG248QE

144hz vs 180hz and no G-sync, otherwise very similar in specs. G-sync is worth the additional money though IMO, it makes a huge difference in perceived smoothness. You have a GPU that supports it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ASUS VG248QE

144hz vs 180hz and no G-sync, otherwise very similar in specs. G-sync is worth the additional money though IMO, it makes a huge difference in perceived smoothness. You have a GPU that supports it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Asus PG248Q
ASUS VG248QE

That sounds more like it! My most "up-to-date" gaming has been on a PS3, which is 720p and I think 30fps, so I'm sure I'll be very happy with just about anything like this. I won't know what I'm missing with the high end stuff! 
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#8]
this is the last on ei bought

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010VG2456?tag=vglnk-c102-20

its been a very good monitor
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#9]
144hz is beautiful. Your budget isn't really big enough to go for G-sync, so I recommend sticking to 1080p. I run a 27" which is HUGE for 1080p but I'm a big competitive FPS player.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I had an asus vg248qe. The colors were pretty meh but can be improved with some tweaking. Other than that it's a solid option especially if you can find it for $180 or so on sale. I'd whole heartedly recommend going 144hz, it's a pretty nice jump.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had an asus vg248qe. The colors were pretty meh but can be improved with some tweaking. Other than that it's a solid option especially if you can find it for $180 or so on sale. I'd whole heartedly recommend going 144hz, it's a pretty nice jump.
View Quote
Mediocre color reproduction is the trade off for the fast response and refresh rates of a TN panel. Inside the Nvidia control panel there is a slider for "digital vibrancy", bumping this up significantly makes colors look much better on TN monitors.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mediocre color reproduction is the trade off for the fast response and refresh rates of a TN panel. Inside the Nvidia control panel there is a slider for "digital vibrancy", bumping this up significantly makes colors look much better on TN monitors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had to look up the specs, but the newest display I've used is my Lenovo Edge 15 laptop, which appears to have an IPS touchscreen. I can't complain about the screen on that thing, I've played some 2004/2005 and older games on it that I grew up with, but now I'm getting a real desktop setup to run newer stuff!
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had to look up the specs, but the newest display I've used is my Lenovo Edge 15 laptop, which appears to have an IPS touchscreen. I can't complain about the screen on that thing at all, but I was ready for a real PC that could run newer games. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had to look up the specs, but the newest display I've used is my Lenovo Edge 15 laptop, which appears to have an IPS touchscreen. I can't complain about the screen on that thing at all, but I was ready for a real PC that could run newer games. 
IPS = better color reproduction and viewing angles
TN = better response times and refresh rates

For strictly picture quality IPS is better, for smooth motion and minimal latency TN is best. There are monitors out there with 144hz 4ms IPS panels, but they are expensive (~$700).
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

For strictly picture quality IPS is better, for smooth motion and minimal latency TN is best. There are monitors out there with 144hz 4ms IPS panels, but they are expensive (~$700).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I guess for my budget I better go TN, I'd really like to stay around $250 or less, I'm going to have more money than I'd like in gaming before its all done! 
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well I guess for my budget I better go TN, I'd really like to stay around $250 or less, I'm getting a lot of money tied up in gaming! 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I guess for my budget I better go TN, I'd really like to stay around $250 or less, I'm getting a lot of money tied up in gaming! 
If you have a store nearby you might want to go and compare a IPS monitor to a TN. If you don't sit directly in front of your TN monitor you get color shift, it bothers a lot of people. It also will probably look a bit washed out if you're used to IPS colors.

There are plenty of affordable IPS monitors, they are all just 60hz. In gaming there is a huge difference in 144hz vs 60hz, everything feels much smoother with the higher refresh rate. You notice it even just moving the mouse around on the desktop or when web browsing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Asus PG248Q
View Quote
I use one of these. It's spendy, but if you play FPS games, it's definitely worth it. Color Repro is not great tho.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you have a store nearby you might want to go and compare a IPS monitor to a TN. If you don't sit directly in front of your TN monitor you get color shift, it bothers a lot of people. It also will probably look a bit washed out if you're used to IPS colors.

There are plenty of affordable IPS monitors, they are all just 60hz. In gaming there is a huge difference in 144hz vs 60hz, everything feels much smoother with the higher refresh rate. You notice it even just moving the mouse around on the desktop or when web browsing.
View Quote
Hmm, Staples would be my only option to look at monitors without driving 75 miles! Haven't been there in years, so I don't know what kind of selection they have. 
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hmm, Staples would be my only option to look at monitors without driving 75 miles! Haven't been there in years, so I don't know what kind of selection they have. 
View Quote
Sounds like you're in a small town, but if you did have a costco near by they usually carry a couple decent monitors in store.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup, I understand that. I have a dell s2716dg which is also a TN panel but the color reproduction is lightyears ahead of the asus. I think for a low latency/response time high refresh monitor it's hard to beat the vg248qe especially if on sale at $180. I owned one until recently and I would still say that the colors are worse than your average TN monitor. It's still a good monitor as long as people understand what it excels at (shooters).
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I recently finished my first PC build, and now I need a monitor for it, my old monitor is a 1024X800(?) VGA only . I'm using the new PC on a 65" 1080p TV right now, which is not ideal for most games/tasks!

I think I'll stick with 1080p, games have already been absolutely incredible looking compared to what I'm used to on the PS3, and with a 6GB GTX-1060 it's probably about all it can run well with some new games. I've also been playing quite a few older games and you're lucky to have on 1080 as an option!

This being my first monitor purchase, I'm overwhelmed with all the choices out there! I'd like to stay around a $200-$250 max if possible. I don't play online at all so the "competition" grade stuff may be overkill for me, although I've been curious about 144hz since I could probably run some games well past 60.
View Quote
I have a 144hz Viewsonic 27" and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A0ZRQTM?tag=vglnk-c102-20

It's a bit out of your price range, but the 24" is only $259.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sounds like you're in a small town, but if you did have a costco near by they usually carry a couple decent monitors in store.
View Quote
Ha! My town is so small (pop. of 300 or less) we don't have any stores, but we make the 25 mile drive to the nearest "big town" once or twice a week, and it's not even big enough for Costco or anything like that. Basically online shopping is my friend, but I have to know what I want first!
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:06:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yup, I understand that. I have a dell s2716dg which is also a TN panel but the color reproduction is lightyears ahead of the asus. I think for a low latency/response time high refresh monitor it's hard to beat the vg248qe especially if on sale at $180. I owned one until recently and I would still say that the colors are worse than your average TN monitor. It's still a good monitor as long as people understand what it excels at (shooters).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a S2716DG as well, definitely one of the better TN panels I've ever used. I'm waiting on the Asus PG27UQ to come out, that's like the holy grail of gaming monitors right now with a 4K IPS 144hz Gsync HDR Quantum Dot panel.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#24]
So the consensus seems to be the Asus VG248QE, I guess I'll go with that unless there's anything else for the same money I need to look at?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I looked around a little on some "tech" sites and This Viewsonic Monitor seems to be recommended over the Asus, something about backlight flicker and color quality.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:46:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I looked around a little on some "tech" sites and This Viewsonic Monitor seems to be recommended over the Asus, something about backlight flicker and color quality.
View Quote
Some people are sensitive to the pulse width modulation (very rapid backlight strobing essentially) used in some monitors. The Asus monitor uses it, the Viewsonic doesn't.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Some people are sensitive to the pulse width modulation (very rapid backlight strobing essentially) used in some monitors. The Asus monitor uses it, the Viewsonic doesn't.
View Quote
Yeah that was my understanding of it! Supposedly the color quality is better on this ViewSonic as well, some claimed it's close to the best color of the TN panels.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I went ahead and ordered the ViewSonic today, now I just have to wait 2-3 days! 
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I went ahead and ordered the ViewSonic today, now I just have to wait 2-3 days! 
View Quote
What do you think of the monitor? Do you like it?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What do you think of the monitor? Do you like it?
View Quote
Well it's actually coming tomorrow, I forgot it wasn't Amazon Prime eligible! 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Got the monitor set up and tested it out this evening! I'm probably not the best judge of quality, given my limited experience with more modern monitors, but it seems great!

Colors seem good enough right out of the box, I haven't played with settings much, maybe it can be even better, I don't know.

Picture is clear, motion is smooth, stand and build quality really impressed me, way better than I expected for being a "budget" monitor.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:09:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Got the monitor set up and tested it out this evening! I'm probably not the best judge of quality, given my limited experience with more modern monitors, but it seems great!

Colors seem good enough right out of the box, I haven't played with settings much, maybe it can be even better, I don't know.

Picture is clear, motion is smooth, stand and build quality really impressed me, way better than I expected for being a "budget" monitor.
View Quote
Pretty noticeable jump running at 144fps?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Pretty noticeable jump running at 144fps?
View Quote
So far, no not really, I need to get in MSI afterburner and turn on the FPS counter, I'm not sure where it's running. Might just be the games I tried, I don't know, I'm still learning! 

I've been going through "older" games I never had the chance to play. I've mostly played Crysis 1 and CoD World at War since getting the new monitor, along with a little C&C.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Gave it a little test with the on screen display up, even with GPU usage at 20-50%, CPU around 10-15%, I'm only getting around 90FPS in CoD World at War. The games settings are maxed, 144hz, etc. I guess I'll have to do some digging in Nvidia settings maybe?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So far, no not really, I need to get in MSI afterburner and turn on the FPS counter, I'm not sure where it's running. Might just be the games I tried, I don't know, I'm still learning! 

I've been going through "older" games I never had the chance to play. I've mostly played Crysis 1 and CoD World at War since getting the new monitor, along with a little C&C.
View Quote
Don't want to be insulting, but did you verify that the monitor is set to 144hz refresh rate in windows monitor settings and in the NVidia control panel? A lot of people buy 144hz monitors and forget to change those two settings and end up running it in 60hz for months.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Don't want to be insulting, but did you verify that the monitor is set to 144hz refresh rate in windows monitor settings and in the NVidia control panel? A lot of people buy 144hz monitors and forget to change those two settings and end up running it in 60hz for months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not insulting at all, I hadn't thought of that actually! Nvidia was set to 120hz and Windows to 144hz already though, I changed Nvidia to 144hz, still seem to max around 90FPS in CoD WaW according to MSI Afterburner.

I'll have to try another game and check it I guess!
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Not insulting at all, I hadn't thought of that actually! Nvidia was set to 120hz and Windows to 144hz already though, I changed Nvidia to 144hz, still seem to max around 90FPS in CoD WaW according to MSI Afterburner.

View Quote
What's your CPU usage at when gaming? I'd try counterstrike if you have it, it'll run on 144 or more on pretty much anything. CoD titles aren't generally the best indicator of performance since they're generally very poorly optimized. Turning shadows to low/medium and lighting effects down a little bit will get you a frame boost depending what you're running right now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What's your CPU usage at when gaming? I'd try counterstrike if you have it, it'll run on 144 or more on pretty much anything. CoD titles aren't generally the best indicator of performance since they're generally very poorly optimized. Turning shadows to low/medium and lighting effects down a little bit will get you a frame boost depending what you're running right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In World at War CPU usage was hanging around 10-13%, GPU around 30%, never over 50%

No counter strike, I'm single-player games only here! I do have Half Life 1&2 but I haven't installed them on this PC yet.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

In World at War CPU usage was hanging around 10-13%, GPU around 30%, never over 50%

No counter strike, I'm single-player games only here! I do have Half Life 1&2 but I haven't installed them on this PC yet.
View Quote
I'm at work so can't get past the firewall to most of the sites with a solution but some quick googling makes it look like there is a 91fps limit in world at war and other call of duty titles using that specific iteration of the game engine.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm at work so can't get past the firewall to most of the sites with a solution but some quick googling makes it look like there is a 91fps limit in world at war and other call of duty titles using that specific iteration of the game engine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense because the highest I saw was 90.9! Lol

I loaded up STALKER Shadow Of Cherynobyl (first time playing, not sure how I'll like it! ) and it's running 140-144 fps consistently. It does look smooth, although not as big of difference as I expected.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Makes sense because the highest I saw was 90.9! Lol

I loaded up STALKER Shadow Of Cherynobyl (first time playing, not sure how I'll like it! ) and it's running 140-144 fps consistently. It does look smooth, although not as big of difference as I expected.
View Quote
Plug in your old one and have a go. 144hz is one of those things that doesn't really blow your socks off but if you try to go back you notice in a heartbeat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top