Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2017 7:39:32 AM EDT
This has been out almost two weeks now. Anyone else played it? It's pretty solid for being free. I know some of the dev team and they worked really hard to make sure it wasn't a shitty port from PC onto the console. If you're into teamwork you can really kick ass and take names with this. Three's a few different gameplay types and maps. I got sick of Battlefield and CoD awhile ago so this is holding me over until a new console FPS comes out that doesn't suck.

It strikes a good balance between run and gun or just straight up camping too so all the 12 year olds that love to run around with sniper scopes get stomped pretty easily. The weapons work pretty well and are pretty realistic of just a tad under-powered. For the most part sticking with the M4A1 and the Aimpoint is the way to go but you've got an M16A4, M249, M24, M14EBR, and 870 to choose from along with an M9 and M1911 for sidearms. You have a primary and secondary grenade with your choice of frag, stun, and smoke. You get one frag but two stun/smoke. There's a party feature though so you can roll in with your homies and clean house though.

My biggest nitpicks so far are sometimes it takes a couple try's to get onto a server and a lot of people just play it like regular deathmatch and don't try to attack/defend, capture, or place bombs. When you get on a team that has a party in it or people actually decide to use a headset and talk it only takes a couple folks working together to really make a difference though.

I don't have a lot of time to play games anymore so for a casual gamer i'd rate this at an 8/10 because of the gameplay, audio, and maps (not a ton but they do have good variety). Plus hey it's freaking free so that makes it worth it right there after constantly getting raped by the new pay to play models of almost all the FPS' out there.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#1]
This is the first I've heard of it. I played the original game on PC back when it came out, I'll probably give this a try.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think they advertised it very well. I know one of the engineers and another one of my friend's guns were used for in-game audio so that's why I know lol.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I played the first one a lot, I might have to check this one out if it's free why not I wonder if my old cheap laptop will support it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is the first I've heard of it. I played the original game on PC back when it came out, I'll probably give this a try.
View Quote
Same here it was fun until all the hackers showed up and ruined it.  The SF servers were always crap and it was a constant bitch fest about getting sniper.  If you got it people would try and kick you because they wanted it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:47:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Very true it was the wild west at times.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#6]
It's not bad on PC either but Im used to playing FPS on console now. I miss playing Bridge from the original though.

Snipers don't do too well the way they designed the maps. Most people stick with the M4/Aimpoint setup. The M14/ACOG isn't bad either.

You can't beat it for free and I actually like it better than the last couple CoD and BF games. I figured ARFCOM would dominate if we squadded up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 3:41:32 AM EDT
[#7]
It's a good game. A definite improvement over AA3.

I started with the original "America's Army". Oh the nostalgia.

Also, technically it's not free. Paid for with our tax dollars
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the heads up.  Did not know it had arrived on PS4.  Will load it up and try it out this weekend.

I have been playing through the campaigns on the old COD games to kill time waiting for the fall/winter releases.  Still enjoy multi on BF1 too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a good game. A definite improvement over AA3.

I started with the original "America's Army". Oh the nostalgia.

Also, technically it's not free. Paid for with our tax dollars
View Quote
It's a recruitment tool for sure. The team that does this game spends a lot time doing actual simulations for the Army too. It's run out of AMRDEC's Software Engineering Directorate. SAIC is the prime contractor for the Army Game Studio here in Huntsville.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top