Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
My day 1 purchase games from this conference are Wolfenstein 2 and Far Cry 5.  

Wolfenstein looks fucking badass.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nintendo has won E3 so far...
View Quote
Indeed. They seem to be the only developer who focuses on fun gameplay experience first while everyone else treats it as a tertiary concern after 1) muh diversity and 2) "cinematic experience".
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My day 1 purchase games from this conference are Wolfenstein 2 and Far Cry 5.  

Wolfenstein looks fucking badass.
View Quote
Wolfenstein for sure.  The last one was an amazing single player shooter.  Really polished with a compelling story.  Glad to see BJ is back.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There's a lot of really cool looking trailers I'm hoping will be fantastic games.  Anthem, Dishonored, Wolfenstein II, Metro Exodus, God of War.  Looks like a lot of fun stuff in the pipeline for this fall/winter and 2018.
View Quote
I forgot about Metro.  That looked great as well.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:12:05 AM EDT
[#7]
"The most powerful console of all time" still runs Destiny 2 at 30fps

lol
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:15:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"The most powerful console of all time" still runs Destiny 2 at 30fps

lol
View Quote
Because just like the PS4 Pro and it's 30fps, they are throttling the framerate to let the older iterations of hardware run it without needing extra backend tweaks.  Code for the lowest tier that can run it.

Now when the current gen Xbox and PS go the way of the dodo, I fully expect 60fps on more games.  Just some can't run at 60fps with the system load.  Is what it is.  Tech wise the X still stomps the Pro though, so MS isn't wrong in their statement.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:49:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Because just like the PS4 Pro and it's 30fps, they are throttling the framerate to let the older iterations of hardware run it without needing extra backend tweaks.  Code for the lowest tier that can run it.

Now when the current gen Xbox and PS go the way of the dodo, I fully expect 60fps on more games.  Just some can't run at 60fps with the system load.  Is what it is.  Tech wise the X still stomps the Pro though, so MS isn't wrong in their statement.
View Quote
Either that or maybe all of the marketing hype shouldn't be believed
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:55:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a fair handful of xbox games that can run at 60fps already.  It all comes down to system usage and stability under load, which they can't handle the frame rate and 'high' resolution output on larger open games like Destiny and the like.  The X might be able to, but they still have to tailor the games to other supported systems.  

I'm waiting for a benchmark but spec wise the X does beat the Pro pretty soundly.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:09:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There's a fair handful of xbox games that can run at 60fps already.  It all comes down to system usage and stability under load, which they can't handle the frame rate and 'high' resolution output on larger open games like Destiny and the like.  The X might be able to, but they still have to tailor the games to other supported systems.  

I'm waiting for a benchmark but spec wise the X does beat the Pro pretty soundly.
View Quote
Sorry, didn't want to type up a few paragraphs.

Destiny 2 has a lot of stuff going on, it's primarily going to be a CPU intensive game. The xXboxoneXx and the ps4prowhythefuckdoesntithave4kbluray both have bullshit 8 core AMD jaguar processors at ~2.0ghz more or less (nobody gives a shit if it's overclocked, it's a very small gain). These are the slightly overclocked versions of the jaguar processors that are in the current xbone and ps4. The main changes are in the overall available GDDR5/RAM. The xbox one x handidly beats the ps4 in this department. The fact of the matter is that while the pro and x are both much faster systems than the vanilla versions, they're all still running on what is essentially the same general architecture of their base versions. The ps4 and xbone being older and slower in no way justifies why they'd be running at 30fps because they had to "tailor the games to other supported systems.". Keep in mind Source engine games, Doom 2016, gears 4 (to an extent) all run on potato PCs well and also run extremely well on high end PCs. I think they both probably could especially because the ps4 pro has some nifty fake checkerboarding 4k bullshit going on.

I'm not sure if it's the point you were trying to make or not but they're capped at 30 because the base xbone and ps4 can't lower settings to run at a higher frame rate. A shooter with any sort of competitive mode needs a relatively even playing field. This is easy for PC developers to do because even if everybody has wildly different gaming rigs the people with lower end systems can always just crank settings way down and get comparable frame rates (most of the time). There is generally no option on console games to lower settings in favor of higher fps so they gimped the xbox one x and pro to be level with the less powerful siblings. That said it's entirely possible neither console is capable of running d2 in true 4k without parlor tricks and bungie may have opted for a smooth capped 30 instead of a sometimes 30, sometimes 15 stutter fuck that some devs are likely to do.

In any which case I hope the xbox one x sells well because between it and the pro I think it's closer to being a "true" 4k console. Microsoft is making a lot of interesting decisions regarding their console lately and I'm hoping it pays off for them (switch cross play, pc play anywhere, etc etc). The price is actually $100 cheaper than I thought it would come in at, if not for just grabbing a xbox one s I'd probably be all over it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sorry, didn't want to type up a few paragraphs.

Destiny 2 has a lot of stuff going on, it's primarily going to be a CPU intensive game. The xXboxoneXx and the ps4prowhythefuckdoesntithave4kbluray both have bullshit 8 core AMD jaguar processors at ~2.0ghz more or less (nobody gives a shit if it's overclocked, it's a very small gain). These are the slightly overclocked versions of the jaguar processors that are in the current xbone and ps4. The main changes are in the overall available GDDR5/RAM. The xbox one x handidly beats the ps4 in this department. The fact of the matter is that while the pro and x are both much faster systems than the vanilla versions, they're all still running on what is essentially the same general architecture of their base versions. The ps4 and xbone being older and slower in no way justifies why they'd be running at 30fps because they had to "tailor the games to other supported systems.". Keep in mind Source engine games, Doom 2016, gears 4 (to an extent) all run on potato PCs well and also run extremely well on high end PCs. I think they both probably could especially because the ps4 pro has some nifty fake checkerboarding 4k bullshit going on.

I'm not sure if it's the point you were trying to make or not but they're capped at 30 because the base xbone and ps4 can't lower settings to run at a higher frame rate. A shooter with any sort of competitive mode needs a relatively even playing field. This is easy for PC developers to do because even if everybody has wildly different gaming rigs the people with lower end systems can always just crank settings way down and get comparable frame rates (most of the time). There is generally no option on console games to lower settings in favor of higher fps so they gimped the xbox one x and pro to be level with the less powerful siblings. That said it's entirely possible neither console is capable of running d2 in true 4k without parlor tricks and bungie may have opted for a smooth capped 30 instead of a sometimes 30, sometimes 15 stutter fuck that some devs are likely to do.

In any which case I hope the xbox one x sells well because between it and the pro I think it's closer to being a "true" 4k console. Microsoft is making a lot of interesting decisions regarding their console lately and I'm hoping it pays off for them (switch cross play, pc play anywhere, etc etc). The price is actually $100 cheaper than I thought it would come in at, if not for just grabbing a xbox one s I'd probably be all over it.
View Quote
Pretty much what I meant with my 1am post, just better put 
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Monster Hunter World on Xbone 
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Going to be some interesting times. I know that the xbox conference seemed lackluster but I believe MS made some calls that will have a pretty lasting impact on the industry going forward. Focusing on hardware for this round while bringing in Nintendo cross play and all the stuff coming for PC is going to set up a united front where sony will be left out.

Quoted:
Monster Hunter World on Xbone
Probably one of my all time favorite franchises. I always loved the games but being forced to play mostly on a handheld for the past years has sucked. I first played monster hunter on the ps2 and it was a blast, it was still the same game on the 3ds but it's just not my favorite form factor for dumping hours into a game. I'm hoping they don't mess this one up because it would be absolutely amazing with modern visuals and modern networking/social features.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:06:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Funny timing, this came from a destiny dev's twitter (mark noseworthy) about why 4k on xboxonex isn't confirmed.

1/4: We would never hold back game performance on a platform to appease a partner. No partners asked us to either.

2/4: We optimize for each platform's tech to deliver the best social action game experience we can. Period.

3/4: All consoles will run at 30fps to deliver D2's AI counts, environment sizes, and # of players. They are all CPU-bound.

4/4: We are currently evaluating 4K for Xbox One X. It launches after D2 and so we are focused on the launch consoles right now.

Sounds like they probably got dev kits for the one x later and are still optimizing/testing. Also confirms that d2 is in fact cpu intensive and the aging amd jaguar either has a rough time with all the physics work, the game is poorly optimized, or a combination of the two.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top