Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2017 7:23:22 PM EDT
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series - OFFICIAL TRAILER

I played the first episode.  It was great!  Highly recommended if you're a fan of Marvel and/or Telltale games.  So far this is one of the best Telltale games yet!  They keep getting better and better.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#1]
After the disappointments of the last two Walking Dead games I've cooled on Telltale games.

This game is in my Steam wish list, but I'm not buying until it hits a deep sale.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After the disappointments of the last two Walking Dead games I've cooled on Telltale games.

This game is in my Steam wish list, but I'm not buying until it hits a deep sale.
View Quote
I bought it for the wife because she loves them. It's ok. They really cleaned up the gameplay but the character models are just weird, textures are weird, voice acting is hit or miss, and the performance is pretty meh.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I bought it for the wife because she loves them. It's ok. They really cleaned up the gameplay but the character models are just weird, textures are weird, voice acting is hit or miss, and the performance is pretty meh.
View Quote
The character models in Telltale games are always weird.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I feel like the high water mark for Telltale was Wolf Among Us... after that all their following games seem kind of meh to me.

The Batman game started out pretty good but quickly devolved into formulaic blah, the Michonne game had sparks of good but most of it was pretty awful and the last Walking Dead game (New Frontier) just fell apart halfway through like the Batman game.

Their earlier games all felt like they had a decent plan for the whole series and followed through, while the more recent games feel like they almost get sidetracked then rush to just close off the story as fast as they can.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I feel like the high water mark for Telltale was Wolf Among Us... after that all their following games seem kind of meh to me.

The Batman game started out pretty good but quickly devolved into formulaic blah, the Michonne game had sparks of good but most of it was pretty awful and the last Walking Dead game (New Frontier) just fell apart halfway through like the Batman game.

Their earlier games all felt like they had a decent plan for the whole series and followed through, while the more recent games feel like they almost get sidetracked then rush to just close off the story as fast as they can.
View Quote
They stick to a basic formula for all of the games.  I believe telltale should up their game and pump up production costs.  After making so many games using the same formula they're at a time when they need to make a paradigm shift, IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#6]
It was on sale so I broke down and bought it. I just finished playing the first episode, and while it really nails the visual and audio flair of the movies I can't help but feel that it really didn't "grab" me that much.

I'm willing to chalk it up to initial version shock for now. What I mean by "version shock" is that feeling you get when you are so used to seeing characters portrayed by certain actors, and the vibe of the thing being a certain way, that when you are presented with something that is supposed to be "the same"... but isn't... your mind kind of rejects it at first. And it will take repeated exposure to acclimate to the new version. I had the same thing with the Telltale Batman game... it was just different -enough- that it tweaked the version shock in my brain, and it took a good three episodes before I became invested in the presentation. I think Guardians will be the same.

But I do have to admit that Telltale really did go all out on the musical cues and the look of the game. I think this is the best looking game they've ever made, they really updated their engine. The Batman game looked pretty good, but it still had that kind of clunky hand drawn effect going on that they use on most of their games. I think it was a wise choice to ditch that for Guardians and go with the more CGI character approach they took. It feels like it fits with the thematic presentation of the movies, being this big neon play-doh and chrome galaxy.

Edit: I think I should also mention the in-game animation feels very smooth in Guardians compared to some of the more recent Telltale games, which all felt very stiff and "video gamey". Guardians animations all looked and played very smooth, like watching a CGI television show (how the game SHOULD be) as opposed to looking like you playing some clunky video in Gary's Mod.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:13:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Just finished episode 2.  Holy feels.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I liked wolf among us and Guardians was on sale so I picked it up.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top