Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2017 12:39:53 PM EDT
Hope this is the correct forum for this.  Anyone play the X-wing miniatures game?  I just got into it because the prepainted ships are absolutely amazing!  Gameplay seems relatively well designed too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have played it for years!

Really fun and fast paced.  

Are you sticking with one faction?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, buying...er...everything.  I bought someone's near complete collection through Wave 9 and am filling in the blanks.  Scored a great deal on the lot including promos, acrylic tokens, etc.

I think I will start by playing scum, however.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not into the game, but the models are so cool I thought about buying a few to put around my PC gaming rig.

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a starter Rebel list and only played a few times.  I ended up buying into Armada and sold all my X-Wing stuff.  X-Wing is too meta driven for my liking.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#5]
For sure it looks like at the high tourney level, this is true.  Casual games, at least locally, are not as meta driven, though I have yet to play any local tourneys either, so maybe all those meta lists will start coming out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#6]
It all depends on who you play with. The tournament scene is really competitive and crazy.  I usually casually play with friends while we drink.

Armada is something I have not gotten into.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The models are amazing. It's a great, fun and fast to learn game. I have most of the early models. I need to get the set with Poes X-wing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Poe's black Xwing is amazing from the Heroes of the Resistance expansion, and his pilot card is better than the Core set one.

What is with thr acrylic tokens going for so much?  I understand they are nicer than cardboard, but $30, $5, $100 for plastics tokens?  Not sure I get that side of it yet.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a few and play infrequently.  It's a fun game and the minis are great, especially considering the price vs other miniatures games.  I just wanted a few to see how the game worked... ended up with 8 Ties, a Lambda Shuttle, Firespray, a few xwings.  I play too little to really keep up with having the best pilots and add-ons, and certainly don't buy every expansion for the crew, etc.  I just take what I have and hope for the best.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Playing a bit now, it seems like Scum can be very dominant.  I enjoy playing classics like Han in the Falcon and Luke in the X-wing too!  Now I just need to start understanding the combos with all the upgrade cards...
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been playing for a few years.  Many store championships & regionals under my belt.  Even went to the North American Championship at GenCon in 2015.  Got 51st place out of 200+ entrants.

I did get a bit burned out on it though, after all that Super Serious play.  And now, the last couple waves have just pissed me off.  Game has gotten more and more complicated, and balance is all over the place, heavily favoring Scum Large ships.

So, I did what any frustrated mini-wargamer does: Got into Warhammer 40K.  

(8th Edition is very cool so far, the new Primaris Marines kick major ass, and look cool too.)
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:47:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I just found out you can play this in Tabletop Simulator on Steam.  Excited.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been playing for a few years.  Many store championships & regionals under my belt.  Even went to the North American Championship at GenCon in 2015.  Got 51st place out of 200+ entrants.

I did get a bit burned out on it though, after all that Super Serious play.  And now, the last couple waves have just pissed me off.  Game has gotten more and more complicated, and balance is all over the place, heavily favoring Scum Large ships.

So, I did what any frustrated mini-wargamer does: Got into Warhammer 40K.  

(8th Edition is very cool so far, the new Primaris Marines kick major ass, and look cool too.)
View Quote
I started in Age of Sigmar last year and have kicked around 40k, playing Kill Team and Shadow War.  8th looks awesome, it's just a matter of time until I get into it, I'm sure.  My favorite thing about Sigmar is being able to play down to as low as 800 pts and have a decent game.  It sounds like with Power Levels you can do the same thing with 40k.  And I agree those Primaris Marines look so damn cool...
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought the core set for my 11yr old son, along with a couple other ships like the Tie Defender & B wing.  What a kick ass little game!

We've only played for about an hour but it was almost like video game intensity.  We are both hooked. We have grand plans for a battle royale this weekend
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Having played for a couple months now, I think this is a very well designed game from the gameplay perspective.  Games arent too short or too long, relatively easy to understand, and it is simple and complex enough to reach a wide audience.  Started playing with the 6yo without the upgrades and it's still fun!

On top of all that, the models are great.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#16]
It's a little harder to find, but D&D Attack Wing uses the same game mechanics only instead of X-wings fighting TIE Fighters, you're making little plastic dragons fuck each other up.  I actually prefer it by just the slightest margin to X-wing.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's a little harder to find, but D&D Attack Wing uses the same game mechanics only instead of X-wings fighting TIE Fighters, you're making little plastic dragons fuck each other up.  I actually prefer it by just the slightest margin to X-wing.
View Quote
I'm interested to see how the ground troops mechanic effects the game. The archers and ballistas and giants are all interesting to me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm interested to see how the ground troops mechanic effects the game. The archers and ballistas and giants are all interesting to me.
View Quote
All the dragons come with two movement dials.  One for flight, and one for ground.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

All the dragons come with two movement dials.  One for flight, and one for ground.
View Quote
See, I find that pretty cool. If wiz kids minis weren't ass, I'd have picked up that game a while ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top