Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2017 3:38:37 AM EDT
Holy shit!  Awesome news!  TW3 is the best game I've ever played and I'm reading the books!  This is amazing!!!!!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/17/netflix-to-produce-the-witcher-tv-series

Netflix will develop and produce a new show based on The Witcher Saga, the series of eight novels by Andrzej Sapkowski that inspired the hugely popular CD Projekt Red RPG games.

Sapkowski - who does not profit from the game series  - will serve as a creative consultant on the series. “I’m thrilled that Netflix will be doing an adaptation of my stories," he explained in a press release, "staying true to the source material and the themes that I have spent over thirty years writing."

Tomas Baginski - who directed the intro videos for all three Witcher games as well as the Cyberpunk 2077 teaser trailer, and who also previously announced as being the director of a movie version of The Witcher - will direct at least one episode per season.

It's not clear as yet what specific stories the series will follow. Executive producers Sean Daniel and Jason Brown (The Expanse), said: “The Witcher stories follow an unconventional family that comes together to fight for truth in a dangerous world. The characters are original, funny and constantly surprising and we can’t wait to bring them to life at Netflix, the perfect home for innovative storytelling.”

Platige Image, a Polish production and visual effects house will co-produce. Executive producers Baginski and Jarek Sawko emphasised that the books' subtexts will not be lost in the adaptation: "There is a moral and intellectual depth in these books which goes beyond genre. It is a story about today and today’s challenges, hidden under a fantasy cover. It is a story about us, about the monster and the hero inside all of our hearts.”

No release date, casting, or further directorial choices have been revealed at time of writing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:53:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I must be in the minority and I am aware that I am. Never liked any of the witcher games. Story didn't catch me. Main character was boring.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:04:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I like this new and fearless Netflix. It will be interesting to see what story line they go with.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
In before Triss is black and Geralt is a young, scrawny, 5'6" half Hispanic half Asian, goober with a scraggly beard and short, black hair.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In before Triss is black and Geralt is a young, scrawny, 5'6" half Hispanic half Asian, goober with a scraggly beard and short, black hair.
View Quote

Andrzej Sapkowski, the writer of the books, is a consultant for the series so hopefully he protects it against silly bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#5]
There was a movie or two and at least one TV series already (all foreign language).  

This supposedly will have nothing to do with the games' storyline.  Also, I'm pretty sure the book series still isn't completely translated in to English yet.

I'll check it out, but my expectations are very, very low.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was a movie or two and at least one TV series already (all foreign language).  

This supposedly will have nothing to do with the games' storyline.  Also, I'm pretty sure the book series still isn't completely translated in to English yet.

I'll check it out, but my expectations are very, very low.
View Quote
I have only played the third game and I have only read the first book but they share a whole lot of the same themes and story lines.  The book I'm about to read introduces Siri.  I believe if this series is based off of the books it will be very similar to the games because the games seem to be fairly true to the books.  Andrzej Sapkowski wrote them and he is involved with this series.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top