Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2017 1:55:15 AM EDT
Due to a bizarre music licensing issue, Alan wake won't be allowed to removed from digital stores after a few days.

It's a great game; I'd recommend it if you haven't already played it. Definitely get it if you're into horror or Twin Peaks
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember the hype surrounding this game before its release. I had completely forgot about it until I seen the HardOCP post this morning. Not typically a 3rd person fan, but a quick check on Metacritic and I said, meh! I'll spend $3.99 on the "franchise" and give it a go.

After install, the game said my system didn't meet minimum requirements, and settings might be low. I got a chuckle out of that.

Gaming System - Thermaltake Core X5 | Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 6 | 16 GB G-Skill Ripjaws 4 PC4-24000 | Intel Core i5 6600k (@4300) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G Golden Edition - EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW GAMING | Corsair AX1200i | Samsung 850 Evo | OCZ Arc-100 | Seagate 2TB HDD | Samsung UN48JS9000.

Edit: No longer on sale @ Steam
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Due to a bizarre music licensing issue, Alan wake won't be allowed to removed from digital stores after a few days.

It's a great game; I'd recommend it if you haven't already played it. Definitely get it if you're into horror or Twin Peaks
View Quote

To be clear for anyone interested, the original will be pulled from all digital stores TODAY (5/15). Alan Wake: American Dreams or whatever will NOT be pulled but it is on sale too
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:07:28 AM EDT
[#3]
WTF? 

Good game that I'm glad finally came to the PC several years back. I bought it on release and enjoyed it quite a bit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting that the music licensing is killing the game. The musical cues are pretty sparse, but they are very on point and really contribute to the "feel" of the game.

I got it a long time back on a Steam sale and thought it was a pretty good game. An interesting mix of Stephen King-ish horror, episodic Twin Peaks-y tropes and Max Payne-ish gameplay and presentation. I was kind of bummed that a sequel was not made to continue the story. IMO it really needs a controller to play it really well... I was having a hell of a time dodging and moving with KB+M, but once I switched over to a controller the game just felt a lot more fluid to me.

I found the DLC / Expansion / Side Story "American Nightmare" to be kind of meh though. It doesn't continue the story of the main game and it is more or less a standalone, disconnected thing that seems more like a management suit said "hey we have a game engine and a character, let's just shit out an easy, simple, short side-quel to cash in".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top