Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2017 10:21:26 PM EDT
My old trusty Microsoft mouse is getting worn out, so I'll be replacing it soon.  Are there any real advantages to having a mouse with buttons dedicated to gaming?  If so, what do you recommend?

UPDATE:  Thanks for all the replies and advice.  I ended up buying a G602.  It's... OK.  It feels smoother than my old cheap microsoft mouse, but I'm still trying to get used to the thumb rest area.  Speaking of which, I was inadvertently hitting the Back button so frequently that I disabled it in the software.

I haven't tried programming any of the buttons for gaming functions yet, so I don't know whether it's better for gaming than any other mouse.  I was hoping that I'd notice a difference in the resolution in FPS games, but I can't say that I have; it seems about the same.

For $40, I'm not complaining, but if it fails I might try something else, unless I discover some wonderful feature that I wasn't aware of.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a Razer Deathadder. Not many gamer buttons really just two on the side but its plenty for me and feels good in the hand. They are nice as you can program them to do whatever you need in game. And it works as a forward and back button when browsing the internet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:55:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My old trusty Microsoft mouse is getting worn out, so I'll be replacing it soon.  Are there any real advantages to having a mouse with buttons dedicated to gaming?  If so, what do you recommend?
View Quote

I'd say it depends. I'd personally steer clear of Razer but that's just me. I haven't owned any of their products but the general consensus that I've seen is that most things blow, their mice are pretty good, but the customer service is terrible.  Then again, everybody has that complaint about all brands.

Anyways, what kind of games do you play? If they're mostly shooters I'd say probably not. I mainly play shooters and like having DPI adjustment buttons on the mouse but it isn't really necessary. If you're mostly playing MMORPGs then a gaming mouse would come in handy, especially the sort that have tons of buttons to reassign.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:59:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a Razer Deathadder. Not many gamer buttons really just two on the side but its plenty for me and feels good in the hand. They are nice as you can program them to do whatever you need in game. And it works as a forward and back button when browsing the internet.
View Quote
This.

I love mine.  It's simple but has enough extra buttons to be useful
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Adjustable DPI and a good sensor goes a long way in fast paced games. There's a guy on youtube "Rocket Jump Ninja" who does really good mouse reviews.

Logitech G502 is what I'm currently using and what I'd recommend as long as you don't prefer ultra light mice, it's one of the most popular gaming mice right now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:33:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been using the Razer Naga for years and I love it.  Haven't done much computer gaming in a little over a year but if I went back to playing MMOs the Razer Naga would definitely be my mouse of choice.  You can program the buttons to whatever you want them to be or add macros or have 1 button copy and another button paste, you get the idea.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Stay away from Razer, I've owned three of them and they are complete garbage. Currently own a Logitech G602 wireless and it's been the most durable one yet. I've always had problems with the mouse wheel's going out first on mice, and in two years this one is still going strong. You can get is now at half price since it's launch price and it has plenty of extra buttons to use. Don't let the notion of it being wireless sway you for gaming, unless you play esports professionally it's fine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think the mouse is one of the more important choices in PC gaming peripherals. 

The Logitech G502 is a safe bet for most anyone. Think of that one as the Glock 19 of the gaming mouse world. 
View Quote
+1

Can't go wrong with Logitech.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey OP, these are all good recommendations but you didn't say what you play and whether or not you prefer wired or wireless. Wired is the way to go for fast paced games and wireless is fine for most others. My recommendations based off personal experience in some form or another:

All around:
Logitech g502 - As stated, the glock 19 of the mouse world
Shooters:
Corsair m65 - Good all around, very quality build construction. This is my personal favorite although there are some legitimate arguments against it. I would consider this to be the H&K VP9 of mice. Love it or hate it.

MMOs
Logitech G602 - Wireless with plenty of buttons
Wired, also tons of buttons

Honarable mention:
Razer Naga - Extremely popular. Once again, no experience with it but I have plenty of friends that have it and none have anything bad to say about it. That said, more than a few of those same friends have had problems with other razer peripherals and had horrible experiences with their customer service.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hey OP, these are all good recommendations but you didn't say what you play and whether or not you prefer wired or wireless. Wired is the way to go for fast paced games and wireless is fine for most others. My recommendations based off personal experience in some form or another:

All around:
Logitech g502 - As stated, the glock 19 of the mouse world
Shooters:
Corsair m65 - Good all around, very quality build construction. This is my personal favorite although there are some legitimate arguments against it. I would consider this to be the H&K VP9 of mice. Love it or hate it.

MMOs
Logitech G602 - Wireless with plenty of buttons
Wired, also tons of buttons

Honarable mention:
Razer Naga - Extremely popular. Once again, no experience with it but I have plenty of friends that have it and none have anything bad to say about it. That said, more than a few of those same friends have had problems with other razer peripherals and had horrible experiences with their customer service.
View Quote
Thanks (and to everyone else who has responded so far as well).  I mostly like FPS games.  I'm currently playing Fallout 4, Doom, and Mass Effect 2. 

My current mouse is wireless, and I would prefer not to get a corded mouse; the cord annoys me sometimes.

I looked at the G602; I'll take a look at the others that have been mentioned so far also.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:52:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I hate mice. There has only been one mouse that has ever felt good using and they fucking discontinued it.

ETA: Yes, I'm a PC gamer. Been through about 30 mice in the last 3 years because every one of them fucking sucks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I wrecked my left arm and hand a few years ago. (Ulnar nerve damage and peripheral neurothopy)

The razor Naga saved my gaming habit.

12 buttons on the thumb a wheel, and 2 buttons on top+ the normal 2 mouse buttons.

I can still play wow like I used to. (Retired. True hardcore addict). If not better.

$75 best buy.  I love it.  I need to buy a spare.

If I had it 10 years ago I might not have nerve entrapment  in my left elbow.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I once spent $80 on a logitec mouse thinking it would be the best for both worlds, gaming and graphic design.  

It broke within 6mo.  Thinking it might be a one-off flaw, I searched and found out it was a very common problem.

I'm using a standard wired mouse now I got for $15.  Haven't played much games with it though.  Moral is, don't spend a ton of money on a mouse.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I am using a Corsair M65 and loving it.  In the past I have had various gaming mice from Logitech, etekcity, and Steelcase and the Corsair is the best fit.

I don't use a lot of extra buttons, but the snipe button on the M65 is useful.  (Makes for very precise shots, quickly.)  I don't usually mess with DPI on the fly or other stuff.

The Steelcase was a mouse for World of Warcraft, and the number of buttons and macro app was cool for WoW, but the feel of the mouse was chunky.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Corsair M65 here.  Corsair makes good stuff.  There was an ND thread in GD recently and the guy's Corsair power supply stopped the bullet and kept working 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I like my Deathadder, had it a couple years now. I've been through a few logitechs (cables break at the strain relief).

I consider the side buttons must have for web browsing and certain functions in FPS games.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#17]
logitech g400s here...
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Another vote for the G502.  I replaced my G700 with it but keep using the 700 on another machine.  Still going strong after 7 years. The 502 is a few years old.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am using a Corsair M65 and loving it.  In the past I have had various gaming mice from Logitech, etekcity, and Steelcase and the Corsair is the best fit.

I don't use a lot of extra buttons, but the snipe button on the M65 is useful.  (Makes for very precise shots, quickly.)  I don't usually mess with DPI on the fly or other stuff.

The Steelcase was a mouse for World of Warcraft, and the number of buttons and macro app was cool for WoW, but the feel of the mouse was chunky.
View Quote
I really like Corsair products.  I have a Corsair power supply, water cooler, and keyboard.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, Corsair doesn't make wireless mice.  If they made a wireless version of the M65, that would probably be my first choice.  As it is, I'm currently leaning towards the Logitech G602.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the Logitech G500s.  I use it for coding and graphics doing web development and other IT related stuff. 

Has weights for extra precision and "stick to desk" ability.  

Corded, laser. Ambidextrous (more or less) and software to program is flexible.

About $70 online.  A total steal considering how long they last and how well they work.  (My previous G5 discontinued model lasted more than 12 years, some of those years I did lots of gaming.)
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:55:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Been PC gaming since late 1998, or early 1999. Had many "Gaming" mice. Logitech used to be king, IMO. Hated Razer when they 1st came out.

The Razer Death Adders, for me are great. December 2012, I bought the Death Adder 3500 and really liked it. After a few years I decided I might need an upgrade and August 2015, I decided to try the Logitech G502. In December 2016 I went back to a Death Adder, the Chroma version.

Razer also updates their drivers very regularly.

The G502 is sitting in a spare PC parts storage bin in the garage.

Edit: I also tried the Corsair Vengeance M65 in January 2015. Its a very good mouse, but it doesn't have the more traditional mouse shape I've been used to over the years. Its sitting in the same storage bin as the G502.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I mostly play first person shooters like arma 3 and squad and got tired of getting killed from 600 yards away because my mouse didn't have the precision I needed to make the shot.
I got a steelseries something or the other for like 80 dollars at Wal-Mart and it is awesome. Has adjustable dpi and a great program to adjust smoothing and lighting and other settings. Not a lot of extra buttons but I don't need buttons I need precision. I think you can pick them up from Amazon for like thirty dollars nowadays. I highly recommend it and the software is top notch.
Unfortunately I left it at a friends house a few months ago and got stuck using a standard wireless mouse. It sucked and I didn't play any games for awhile.
Went to Wal-Mart the other day and picked up a black web gaming mouse for like 30 dollars. Its no steelseries but I'm back on Arma 3 and it works ok.
 Sure do miss the software and performance of the steelseries tthough, can't wait to get it back.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I've always liked the razor naga.  They were always a good size (smaller) and with the 12 side buttons.  Great for MMOs.  The only downside is that they have plastic contacts that WILL wear out.  This causes undesired behaviors for clicking.  
I'm currently using my old Logitech G600.  It also has the same 12 side buttons.  My 2 complaints of this mouse is 1) bigger than the Naga so it feels strange and 2.) The side buttons are not flat so they don't feel the same or as good as the Naga.  

This is my problem with buying gaming mice.  If you can't try them in a store, its a crap shoot if you will like it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:03:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Depends on the types of games that you play. I play a lot of competitive FPS. Zowie EC2-A works the best for me.

-Great shape
-very light
-very precise sensor
-DPI button on the bottom of the mouse (to prevent inadvertent presses)
-Solid build quality
-All of the buttons are in the right place and have the right feel to them.

Zowie EC2-A Review (Amazing FPS Gaming Mouse)
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I got this after my Logitech MX518 died. I couldn't tell much of a difference.

Plus, there's a red, glowing dragon on it. Totally badass, man
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:49:54 AM EDT
[#27]
G502 4 LYFE

I also use G430s and I like them a lot.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:40:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Fpni

Deathadder is tier 1, best mouse na
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thanks (and to everyone else who has responded so far as well).  I mostly like FPS games.  I'm currently playing Fallout 4, Doom, and Mass Effect 2. 

My current mouse is wireless, and I would prefer not to get a corded mouse; the cord annoys me sometimes.

I looked at the G602; I'll take a look at the others that have been mentioned so far also.
View Quote
ive been using the G602 and love it. plenty on buttons for gaming
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:58:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Adjustable DPI and a good sensor goes a long way in fast paced games. There's a guy on youtube "Rocket Jump Ninja" who does really good mouse reviews.

Logitech G502 is what I'm currently using and what I'd recommend as long as you don't prefer ultra light mice, it's one of the most popular gaming mice right now.
View Quote
Also what I am using. Love it. Great for Arma 3.

Y
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm not exaggerating when I say if you get a Razer DeathAdder your life will get better, its that good.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Been PC gaming since late 1998, or early 1999. Had many "Gaming" mice. Logitech used to be king, IMO. Hated Razer when they 1st came out.

The Razer Death Adders, for me are great. December 2012, I bought the Death Adder 3500 and really liked it. After a few years I decided I might need an upgrade and August 2015, I decided to try the Logitech G502. In December 2016 I went back to a Death Adder, the Chroma version.

Razer also updates their drivers very regularly.

The G502 is sitting in a spare PC parts storage bin in the garage.

Edit: I also tried the Corsair Vengeance M65 in January 2015. Its a very good mouse, but it doesn't have the more traditional mouse shape I've been used to over the years. Its sitting in the same storage bin as the G502.
View Quote
I'm in the exact same boat, I used a Razer Deathadder for years until it finally wore out so I picked up a G502 because of the positive reviews, within a month I returned the G502 and bought the newest model of DeathAdder. The G502 just doesn't compare to the deathadder they are in different leagues. The Deathadder is a performance Ferrari and the G502 is like a really nice new Honda.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I use an old Microsoft Intellimouse.

Sometimes the button acts up. But, its been a faithful servant for a decade so far.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#34]
i been loving my mionix 7000 and 8200. really comfy in my hands. nothing too special about them but one of my favorite.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HGKQ6VY?tag=vglnk-c102-20

Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
I am on my third Deathadder. I love them. Not overly complex. Just feels good in the hand and has a couple more options than a normal mouse.

Software is easy to use and provides excellent sensitivity control.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:48:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I vote Logitech G602.

It looks like an adult would own it, has plenty of buttons for a human hand, works forever without replacing the batteries, and is wireless (because it's 2017 now).
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I vote Logitech G602.

works forever without replacing the batteries, and is wireless (because it's 2017 now).
View Quote
Amazon says 250 hour battery life?  That only gives me a little over 10 days of fapping.  I need a wired mouse.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:57:00 AM EDT
[#38]
I say get one. My Logitech mouse (G500?) is completely programmable. Games that don't support some of the extra buttons are no problem because you can bind the buttons to keyboard keys. You can also program complex scripts. Like in Fallout 4 I have a button assigned to scrap an object I'm pointing at and confirm it and repeat like 20 times in a second so I can walk around scrapping loads of objects quickly.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 2:04:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Amazon says 250 hour battery life?  That only gives me a little over 10 days of fapping.  I need a wired mouse.
View Quote
I replace mine like every 2 or 3 months.
My guess would be that time is the amount of hours of actual continuous bluetooth data transfer? Or something.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#42]
I have a g500
don't really use all the extra buttons when gaming
I do use the forward/back buttons when surfing the web though
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Ducky Secret is another you may wanna look into. Used the Death Adder for a couple years then switched to the Ducky when I got my Ducky keyboard. You won't be disappointed. Been debating getting rid of the Death Adder because the Secret is working out so well.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:10:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I once spent $80 on a logitec mouse thinking it would be the best for both worlds, gaming and graphic design.  

It broke within 6mo.  Thinking it might be a one-off flaw, I searched and found out it was a very common problem.

I'm using a standard wired mouse now I got for $15.  Haven't played much games with it though.  Moral is, don't spend a ton of money on a mouse.
View Quote
I've owned like 4-5 different Logitech mice over the past 20 years. That's 4-5 years per mouse.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#45]
I've used M-65s and M-95s.
They allege 2 million button clicks.
I like the mouses, but they lie about the button clicks.

I was bummed that the R.A.T. turned out to be a crummy as it did, I was hoping for better.

I'm on the verge of trying a Corsair SCIMITAR, but I seriously wish that someone made a decent vertical gaming mouse, my elbow and wrist/forearm are screaming after a half hour with a regular mouse in an MMO.
I've got some big paws, so a gaming mouse that I could hold more like a joystick, but had the slide/laser configuration of a mouse would be swell.

I'd settle for something the size of a navel orange, as long as I could tilt my wrist to about a 45* angle or more towards the vertical.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#46]
I rock a trackball, I don't have to worry about getting a gaming one because nobody really makes a gaming trackball. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top