Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/6/2017 3:37:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Fed up with the shitty connection problems, matchmaking problems, and AFK farmers in For Honor, so it came down to this or Ghost Recon...

Since I have a Zelda tattoo... this won!

Pulling my WiiU out of storage and updating it now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#2]
So after a couple hours of gameplay, all I can say is...

Depending on how Mass Effect is, I think it will come down to this or FFXV for game of the year.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm on "reach Zora's Domain".  Having some trouble getting to the marker.  This game is awesome.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Apparently this happens if you throw a chicken at an enemy

Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:16:50 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife got it last Saturday.

My first impression was: meh.
Graphics are lacking (pc master race) but after watching for a couple hours:

Wow!  Finally appreciating the art style (which is still think is an excuse to disguise the hardware limitations) but the sheer size of the map is overwhelming.

She loved Fable 2 and this is the only thing that's captured her attention since then.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:32:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My wife got it last Saturday.

My first impression was: meh.
Graphics are lacking (pc master race) but after watching for a couple hours:

Wow!  Finally appreciating the art style (which is still think is an excuse to disguise the hardware limitations) but the sheer size of the map is overwhelming.

She loved Fable 2 and this is the only thing that's captured her attention since then.
View Quote

Don't have it and probably won't for a long time (no switch, no wii u...). but as a fellow PCMR brother, yes I'm sure it definitely does disguise the hardware limitations. I am personally not a fan of the whole shit graphics indie wave we're riding right now. BUUUUUUT, good gameplay is good gameplay and looking at videos/reviews has me thinking of how to talk the wife into thinking we need a switch.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Playing on the Wii-U for a week. A couple hours a day. Have about 22 shrines about 35 Korak seeds and about 1/2 the towers. Some armor.

Protips so far :
Buy any and all arrows whenever you can from shops and Beadle.
Scrounge & hunt everything as much as you can so you can sell excess for rupees to buy clothes & armor (in the villages) but keep all the ancient parts you find.
Tame horses (and register them) for getting to places quicker where you don't have travel points yet.
If it's lightning out remove (not drop) anything metal you have on.
The sidequests give you unique items.
Learn to cook and make elixers.
Turn on the towers & complete the shrines. Even if you can't complete a shrine at least the travel point it has works. 
Get the extra chests in the shrines for good items.
3 types of shrines so far: Puzzle, Combat & Blessed
If you abandon or lose your registered horse, the stable guy can get him back.
It rains a lot in certain areas (and you can't climb).
Be ready to fight anytime.

It's an awesome and beautiful game
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Having a lot of fun with it! Got a couple new Amiibo to help. I found the wolf one at Target yesterday. Apparently it's going for ridiculous prices online, as well as the Link one I've had for a while from Smash Bros.

Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a link to the interactive map I've been using that shows the locations of pretty much everything: https://www.zeldadungeon.net/breath-of-the-wild-interactive-map/

I'm currently using it to find Korok Seeds to make my inventory bigger, and Shrines to increase my health and stamina.

ETA: I also just learned of the Great Fairy locations so I can upgrade my armor.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:17:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:55:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I got my wife the switch and this and shes become addicted it. I have to say it looks pretty fun.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:06:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I kind of want to get a Nintendo to play this. I haven't owned a console since the Super Nintendo.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:11:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Posted on Twitter, not sure how accurate.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6heDZJVAAA9vZI.jpg
View Quote
Define map size because Ocarina of Time had a much larger overall outdoor map than .1 km square.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:13:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Define map size because Ocarina of Time had a much larger overall outdoor map than .01 km square.
View Quote

I will say watching my wife, BOTW is massive.

Probably slightly larger than Ghost recon wildlands map size, but done better.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:29:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Define map size because Ocarina of Time had a much larger overall outdoor map than .1 km square.
View Quote

That graphic is way off. Here's a better one with the math links behind it:

Attachment Attached File

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/zelda/comments/5olf6h/oc_i_fixed_my_zelda_map_size_comparison_graphic/
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:51:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Exploring large worlds is my favorite thing about a new game. I know they are different animals (maps are largely procedurally generated with some extra love from the artists), but Star Citizen's maps are absolutely enormous and it would literally take you probably a year to circumnavigate one moon or planet.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 2:09:26 AM EDT
[#18]
The complete world is apparently .4km square. Obviously modern tech allows the newest Zelda game to have one large continuous world but I think it's still a more fair comparison to include all of the outdoor areas of the old game and not just the area around Hyrule.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The complete world is apparently .4km square. Obviously modern tech allows the newest Zelda game to have one large continuous world but I think it's still a more fair comparison to include all of the outdoor areas of the old game and not just the area around Hyrule.
View Quote

OOT was fairly on rails, mostly just paths with mild exploration.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I had purchased a Switch with BOTW for my nephew on launch, and had stolen it from him enough to knock out a good chunk of the game. Beat the 4 divine beasts and was going around and picking up side missions/outfits before facing Ganon, when I decided I needed to buy my own. Since you can't transfer save files on the switch I'll probably wind up replaying the whole thing, which isn't a whole thing.

Hands down the best game I've ever played, and one of the most well-rounded gaming experiences as a whole. Once I manage to find another switch I'm going to be about $1K into the system between spare docks, games, and those damn Amiibos. Worth it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm on the fence about getting for my WiiU that I never play or shelling out for a switch.  

I'm on the fence about the switch because I'm concerned it'll end up like the Wii U no real software support.

Oh and I got the wii U based on the idea that Breath of the Wild was coming out for it... so I got the Wii U and then it was delayed and delayed and then tadah!  the switch!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm on the fence about getting for my WiiU that I never play or shelling out for a switch.  

I'm on the fence about the switch because I'm concerned it'll end up like the Wii U no real software support.

Oh and I got the wii U based on the idea that Breath of the Wild was coming out for it... so I got the Wii U and then it was delayed and delayed and then tadah!  the switch!  
View Quote
The Wii U severely underperformed sales why which is more than likely they delayed it for the release of a second console. I never actually owned the Wii U, but the Switch basically sounds like the direct response to everyone's complaints with the Wii U.

To me it's sounds like the Switch is currently performing as the success Nintendo was hoping the Wii U was going to be, which will probably lead to more titles and Nintendo utilizing more of their big IPs and development on it.

Either platform will certainly be worth buying the game for, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to grab a switch and the game.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I spent 27 hours just trying to find and get the master sword lol.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
An example of the brilliant combat mechanics in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l7LumChdpI
View Quote
If you shoot a Lynel with a Guardian Arrow, he winks out of existence until the next Blood Moon. You don't get any Lynel goodies like when you kill one. He's just gone.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#32]
I managed to find a Switch at a local Target, so I bought it and Zelda.

Amazing!

I'm not a huge Zelda fan, but I really like Breath of the Wild, so far.

ETA: I'm really impressed with the Switch, too.  I was afraid it would be a gimicky rehash of the Wii and Wii U, but it's definitely not.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:43:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#34]
My copy of Zelda is still sitting on my desk because I can't find a switch that isn't scalper priced.

I've been in two stores recently and was told by people at both that "we had some this morning but they sold out in less than an hour". The Target by me even decorated their entrance with Mario and Luigi stuff for the Mario Kart launch, and they only got in THREE systems to sell but like fifty copies of Mario Kart.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My copy of Zelda is still sitting on my desk because I can't find a switch that isn't scalper priced.

I've been in two stores recently and was told by people at both that "we had some this morning but they sold out in less than an hour". The Target by me even decorated their entrance with Mario and Luigi stuff for the Mario Kart launch, and they only got in THREE systems to sell but like fifty copies of Mario Kart.
View Quote
Someone provided this link in another thread.  It's what I used to find my Switch.

ETA: It also tracks Amiibo stock.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Someone provided this link in another thread.  It's what I used to find my Switch.

ETA: It also tracks Amiibo stock.
View Quote
I just looked at that link and can say that their info is out of date.

I was quite literally just at a Target store that that site lists as having "3 in stock" of gray Switch consoles, and the guy at the counter told me they have been sold out all week.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I just looked at that link and can say that their info is out of date.

I was quite literally just at a Target store that that site lists as having "3 in stock" of gray Switch consoles, and the guy at the counter told me they have been sold out all week.
View Quote
Sounds like an issue with that store.  The site just shows what the company (Target.com, in this case) says is in stock at a location.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:33:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#39]
I wish I had the time to plumb the local market to get one, but the only time I can go Switch shopping are on the weekends and usually in the afternoon... by then any at the local stores have been snapped up. I've been using another stock tracker to try and get one online through one of the various places they track, but again by the time I get the stock alert they've all sold out.

Its a real bummer as this is the first Nintendo console since the N64 that I've actually really wanted to play, but just like the N64 it is probably going to be a year before I can actually get one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Ask the local toys r us when they'll be getting them in.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ask the local toys r us when they'll be getting them in.
View Quote
The local TRU's are not in my area. The one I go to I go to when I'm out with a friend and his little boy in their part of town, and that is very infrequently... whereas I have a Target virtually across the street from my subdivision that I go to weekly to pick up prescriptions and other junk.

I figure I'm going to just keep checking the Target until I find one, or until Nintendo finally manages to ship more than five at a time to Amazon or another online retailer. I lived through the N64 drought... hell I worked as a manager at a Target electronics section back then when that scarce thing came out... so I'm comfortable waiting to get one at my convenience as opposed to leaving my office during a weekday and making a special trip to a place I never go on the off chance I might be able to get one. If I had a kid who wanted it and it was Christmas or their birthday then maybe... but for a 40 something man who has a lot of other stuff to do, I'm comfortable waiting.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm new to the Amiibo thing, and not really familiar with them.  Are they still being produced (the Breath of the Wild ones)?  The price on Amazon is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm new to the Amiibo thing, and not really familiar with them.  Are they still being produced (the Breath of the Wild ones)?  The price on Amazon is ridiculous.
View Quote
Check out "NFC tags" on ebay. I've bought a few for $9 each.

I have a Super Smash Brothers "Zelda" that will give you the "Twilight Bow" which is awesome.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Check out "NFC tags" on ebay. I've bought a few for $9 each.

I have a Super Smash Brothers "Zelda" that will give you the "Twilight Bow" which is awesome.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If you use the link for Istocknow, best method I've found is to check it first thing in the morning for walmarts. Walmarts stock counter updates at midnight. If you actually click on the item it'll link you over to the Walmart page, and I've found it to be reliable for one of my switches as well as a few friends I've helped get one, as long as it is early in the morning.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, my daughter being the Zelda series scholar has let me know which are worth getting and using for BotW.

She has a Zelda (smash series) and a Guardian.

Currently we're looking for the Ocarina one and it's never available.
They are still being produced(BotW), but I warn you they are addicting. I have hunted down all but the Smash Shiek for my nephew.  It's pretty fun to get the old Link outfits, as well as the Sword of the Seven Sages and the Bigoron sword.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Btw,

the Pro Controller is a must own, it's literally the most comfortable current-gen controller I've ever used and I've used all of them.

http://i.imgur.com/sQxUlnqm.jpg
View Quote
Picked one up based on your recommendation.

Thank you!  It's very, very nice.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Guess who has two thumbs and a Nintendo Switch?

Went into the Target by us this morning on my way to the office and they actually had ONE single Switch available, so I bought it. I'm not keen on the red and blue controllers but beggars can't be choosers.

The only game I have is Zelda, that I'll be firing up tonight, but I have to ask:

Are the stock controllers all that bad and do I really need a pro controller? Question being asked by someone who only owns Zelda and will probably not be buying any more games until something else big comes out.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top