Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2017 10:18:47 PM EDT
http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/rNTwrH/great-gaming-build

Does this build seem good?

I want to play some HQ games with a 1080 monitor and want great performance.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:27:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Latest i7 with at least 32GB RAM and at least 4GB VRAM on the video card and you will be good to go. Here is my gaming box I build a little over two years ago. Still boots to windows in less than 6 seconds.

Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:07:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Wait a few weeks if you can. AMD just released their new CPUs and shipping on March 2. See what real world reviews are like.

nVidia is also most likely going to release the 1080Ti within the next few weeks as well. That coupled with the new AMD graphics cards should push current pricing down a little bit.

In short, the PC parts world is going to change a lot in the next 2 months or less. Right now is just about the worst time to build a gaming PC.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait a few weeks if you can. AMD just released their new CPUs and shipping on March 2. See what real world reviews are like.

nVidia is also most likely going to release the 1080Ti within the next few weeks as well. That coupled with the new AMD graphics cards should push current pricing down a little bit.

In short, the PC parts world is going to change a lot in the next 2 months or less. Right now is just about the worst time to build a gaming PC.
View Quote
^^

Completely agree.  Even if you dont' want those new products, they will push prices down a bit on current stuff.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Latest i7 with at least 32GB RAM and at least 4GB VRAM on the video card and you will be good to go. Here is my gaming box I build a little over two years ago. Still boots to windows in less than 6 seconds.

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l610/Sith_Yarael/20141228_104528_zpsoxntjtux.jpg
View Quote

You really don't need 32 GB of RAM. Most games show minimal improvement going from 8GB to 16GB. 16 is the most you need for gaming.
Similarly, i7s don't provide a huge boost in gaming speed for the 50% higher cost. But feel free to spend the extra money if it makes you feel good about yourself.

OP: That build looks fine to me. Could maybe do a bit of tweaking, I'm not a huge fan of that case, and I would splurge for a Samsung M.2 SSD, but yeah, that build is good to go.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but like everyone else said I'd wait. The GTX1070 is plenty for 1080p BUUUUT if you are planning on using a 144hz or faster monitor the gtx1080 might be worth looking into. I majority of games don't make it break a sweat but it can't push everything out there at 1080p 144hz. Definitely wait for RYZEN reviews, if it does any of what AMD is claiming you will get a lot of bang for your buck

That said, if you do wait I would absolutely buy the SSDs and RAM right NOW! The SSDs aren't going to be changing soon and whether you go intel or new AMD stuff it will use DDR4 so buy it now since SSD and RAM prices have been steadily going through the roof with no signs of stopping. It'll only get more expensive so buy now. You could actually buy your PSU and case as well since those won't be part specific.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You really don't need 32 GB of RAM. Most games show minimal improvement going from 8GB to 16GB. 16 is the most you need for gaming.
View Quote

True, for almost everything. However DCS 2.0 for me regularly pushes my RAM usage past 17GB, so there are exceptions.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l610/Sith_Yarael/20141228_104528_zpsoxntjtux.jpg
View Quote
nice looking build
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would wait for Ryzen benchmark before going for i5. IMO i5 isn't good for gaming with the CPU hitting 100% on certain AAA games recently came out. The current i5 spec will become i3 spec within a year. The new i5 will have hyper threading just like i7 to complete with Ryzen. I prefer 32gig RAM min but 16 is fine. Stick with video cards with at least 8gb of VRAM. PSU should be upgraded to at least 750.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

True, for almost everything. However DCS 2.0 for me regularly pushes my RAM usage past 17GB, so there are exceptions.
View Quote
I consider 32gig of ram to be min. My next build will have at least 32gig of ram. I want to go to 64gig. My current rig have 20gig of ram build 5 years ago. The more ram the better your gaming experience. If I'm going to upgrade to Ryzen it will be something like this. Ryzen 1800x, 64 gig of ram, ASROCK Taichi Mother Board. The rest of the hardwares I'll reuse. Only need those three items.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I just could never justify spending $600 on a graphics card
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Similarly, i7s don't provide a huge boost in gaming speed for the 50% higher cost. But feel free to spend the extra money if it makes you feel good about yourself.

OP: That build looks fine to me. Could maybe do a bit of tweaking, I'm not a huge fan of that case, and I would splurge for a Samsung M.2 SSD, but yeah, that build is good to go.
View Quote

I agree, 16 is more than enough.  So long as it's a modern processor with at least 4 cores that won't matter much either.  The two biggest bottlenecks are storage and graphics.

OP I absolutely could not believe the performance boost I saw from getting a SSD. It was far and away the biggest impact on system performance.  The other thing is to just get the best video card you can afford.   March is traditionally a good month because the new hardware releases hit the market.  Wait and watch for a few weeks, do some research and start watching component prices.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:07:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I consider 32gig of ram to be min. My next build will have at least 32gig of ram. I want to go to 64gig. My current rig have 20gig of ram build 5 years ago. The more ram the better your gaming experience. If I'm going to upgrade to Ryzen it will be something like this. Ryzen 1800x, 64 gig of ram, ASROCK Taichi Mother Board. The rest of the hardwares I'll reuse. Only need those three items.
View Quote

Sorry but this just isn't based in reality. Please show me benchmarks that show improvements with 32 or 64 GB of RAM.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sorry but this just isn't based in reality. Please show me benchmarks that show improvements with 32 or 64 GB of RAM.
View Quote

Certain games recently have shown that more than 16gb might be better, but these titles are few and far between and usually poorly optimized. If it were my money I'd buy 16gb (2x8gb) which would allow for an extra 16gb down the road. I'd imagine if one were to want 32 chrome tabs open along with several games at once then 32-64gb would be nice.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Beans for choosing EVGA cards. I have never had an issue with my EVGA stuff.  Within the last year I went with a Samsung 850 Evo and the difference is amazing.  I also am a fan of WD Cavier black HDD's so I would like to know how that HD works for you.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Honestly, you really can't go wrong with a PC build nowadays using reputable brands, so it's hard to say much more than "it's acceptable" without more specific information.  Obviously price is an issue, you aren't gong for the latest and greatest...but then you're throwing money at some LED lighting, which could otherwise get you some performance gains.  

As many have said before me...wait for the new AMD chip to hit the market.  If the rumors I hear are true, it's a fucking winner, and prices are going to be dropping across the board, Intel prices due to direct competition, everything else to get in on the wave of purchases that accompany a new CPU release.

Oh, and white cases are ugly.  Who are you, Elton John?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Building your own is the way to go. 

Just get a decent CPU and GPU and the rest is gravy 
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Intel-wise, what is g2g and won't be crap in a year? I5? I7? 
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Gaming?  Get the latest i5 from intel.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a ton of steam games for windows.  I've thought about building a tower but I'd much rather stick to a laptop.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:16:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a ton of steam games for windows.  I've thought about building a tower but I'd much rather stick to a laptop.
View Quote
Go ahead a build one. The price/performance ratio definitely is worth it. If you sit at a desk with the laptop it makes even more sense. If you like to sit on the couch/recliner there are some decent wireless mice and keyboards out there.

I have my PC hooked up to my projector with a 150" screen and do everything sitting in a recliner with my feet up. I could never go back to a desk and a tiny screen...
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Go ahead a build one. The price/performance ratio definitely is worth it. If you sit at a desk with the laptop it makes even more sense. If you like to sit on the couch/recliner there are some decent wireless mice and keyboards out there.

I have my PC hooked up to my projector with a 150" screen and do everything sitting in a recliner with my feet up. I could never go back to a desk and a tiny screen...
View Quote
My wife would disown me if I had a (i'm guessing ceiling mounted) projector for 150" screen.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

What do you want to play? i5 will be g2g for 90% of games and will run pretty much 100% of everything OK.

If you're planning on playing any huge RTS games, battlefield 1, or star citizen for example I'd go i7. Just to be clear, an i5 will run all of those just fine but for any cpu intensive games (star citizen, bf1, etc), then an i7 is what you want if you want maximum performance and no bottlenecks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

As stated, can't beat the price:performance of a desktop. Upgrades down the road are much cheaper too since you can salvage the case, monitor, PSU, etc. If you want something to game on the couch with I'd build a small PC and just hook it up to your tv and use a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse/steam controller.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What do you want to play? i5 will be g2g for 90% of games and will run pretty much 100% of everything OK.

If you're planning on playing any huge RTS games, battlefield 1, or star citizen for example I'd go i7. Just to be clear, an i5 will run all of those just fine but for any cpu intensive games (star citizen, bf1, etc), then an i7 is what you want if you want maximum performance and no bottlenecks.
View Quote
How is a i5-7500 with ASRock H110M-ITX motherboard?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd agree with this.  I have *one* game which would *rarely* have trouble at 8GB, 16GB is more than enough for now.  And yeah, a high-clock i5 is a a much better bang for the buck than an i7.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just could never justify spending $600 on a graphics card
View Quote

To be fair, that buys you the baddest card there is, so you'd only do that if you were pretty hardcore about gaming.

But it's easy to justify.   Even if you spend $2000 on a fancy setup and games, that's still WORLDS cheaper than a lot of people's hobbies.  And if that lasts two years, it's less than a lot of people will spend on cable/satellite during that time period.  And if you're smart about it, you can have a perfectly reasonably build, including monitor, for less than that, if a *measly* 60fps@1080 is enough for you.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How is a i5-7500 with ASRock H110M-ITX motherboard?
View Quote

Nothing to complain about. Keep in mind you can't overclock but if you don't care about that then it's not a big deal. Overclocking isn't a must, I do it but to be honest it does introduce an extra step and it's honestly more hassle for what could be considered minuscule gains. Also, an ITX board is the smallest you can get more or less so if you're trying to save on size then that's great but just be aware they can be a pain in the ass to work on depending on which case you go with so be sure to look into an easy to work with case. PCpartpicker is a good resource with guides and reviews.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's just dumb.  64 gigs of RAM for gaming is a huge waste unless you're just trying to show of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top