Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/21/2017 8:08:35 PM EDT
Which is the better game? Don't really care about graphics or combat depth

I own Witcher 3 and its pretty good but I remember playing Skyrim when it first came out on last gen consoles and even though I didn't get to spend a lot of time on it I think it was my favorite game.
I am contemplating picking up the remaster for XB1 but not sure if I would enjoy it as much since I think games have come a long way....
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I can say I liked the Witcher better because of the story. With a game like Skyrim, it's hard to get a good story in there that makes you actually care about the characters. Sure, you can care about the world you are saving, but in regard to the people you actually meet and interact with, there seems to be little.
Plus, there's a lot of really gray areas in the Witcher that allow you to be a total asshole if you want to that seem more on a personal level than in skyrim.

Don't get me wrong, though. I loved Skyrim. I just liked the Witcher more. And remember that this is just my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Witcher. Hands down.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I like Skyrim much better than Witcher, but that's primarily because I can't get past Witcher's horrid "hack-n-slash" combat system.  I always get bored with Witcher and stop playing after a few hours, but Skyrim I have 1,000 hours or more in game since release.

I am playing on PC though, and running my Skyrim heavily modded.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Witcher 3 hands down.  It is an absolute masterpiece.

I would recommend getting Skyrim at some point however as if you haven't played it much then perhaps you won't find it to be as outdated as I would if I tried to play it now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:53:47 AM EDT
[#5]
They're both good games that I spent a ton of time playing.

If I was forced to pick between the two I would pick Witcher 3.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:11:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Skyrim. I've upgraded to PS4 with it now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Most already said it.  Witcher 3. 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Morrowind

I can't get into Witcher 3 for whatever reason.  Beat Skyrim several times and the remaster looks good.

There's a game called Divinity Original Sin that is a really amazing little known RPG. More D&D/Baldurs gate style
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Witcher 3, hands down, and I say this as a fan of TES.

Skyrim was good, don't get me wrong, but in terms of story and character development, it was pretty lackluster.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#10]
If you own Skyrim, download the free Enderal total conversion.  Much more depth to its story and characters than Skyrim.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Witcher 3 hands down.  It is an absolute masterpiece.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I think the Witcher 3 is the better game, but Skyrim had more staying power because of how broad it was.  The blank slate approach has its problems, but it allows for almost limitless replayability.  Mage, archer, swordsman, assassin, etc, morally good, morally bad, warrior or tradesman or farmer, hit all the quests or ignore the story entirely and hunt animals or explore caves or whatever.  Plus all the modding possibilities that never have existed with TW3.  My total playtime with Skyrim was probably doubled with mods.

TW3 was a much stronger and tighter plot and had far more compelling characters and quests, and I actually think the combat was deeper and better in a lot of ways too (Skyrim's sword fighting was basically standing in place and hacking at each other until someone dies) but TW3 was a much more defined path - an established character with a particular arc and particular skills and fighting styles.  Much fewer options to do what you wanted.

All that said, I think TW3 is still my favorite game of the last decade or so.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Get both.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think the Witcher 3 is the better game, but Skyrim had more staying power because of how broad it was.  The blank slate approach has its problems, but it allows for almost limitless replayability.  Mage, archer, swordsman, assassin, etc, morally good, morally bad, warrior or tradesman or farmer, hit all the quests or ignore the story entirely and hunt animals or explore caves or whatever.  Plus all the modding possibilities that never have existed with TW3.  My total playtime with Skyrim was probably doubled with mods.

TW3 was a much stronger and tighter plot and had far more compelling characters and quests, and I actually think the combat was deeper and better in a lot of ways too (Skyrim's sword fighting was basically standing in place and hacking at each other until someone dies) but TW3 was a much more defined path - an established character with a particular arc and particular skills and fighting styles.  Much fewer options to do what you wanted.

All that said, I think TW3 is still my favorite game of the last decade or so.
View Quote

TW3 is my favorite game of all time.  High quality comedy and tragedy, with a dash of great gameplay and amazing settings.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:47:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I've played though Skyrim on ps3, and loved it. I started a new game on xbone, but got side tracked by TW3. I love them both, but the Witcher is a better game hands down. A better story that has characters you care for.

I tried to make good decisions in the game, tried to be good, helped those that needed help, protected those that couldn't protect themselves. I got called names, spit on, robbed, kidnapped, used for slave labor, and still got the bad ending. Next time. I'll be an indifferent prick that does nothing without cash money.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I think TW3 is my favorite game of all time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've played though Skyrim on ps3, and loved it. I started a new game on xbone, but got side tracked by TW3. I love them both, but the Witcher is a better game hands down. A better story that has characters you care for.

I tried to make good decisions in the game, tried to be good, helped those that needed help, protected those that couldn't protect themselves. I got called names, spit on, robbed, kidnapped, used for slave labor, and still got the bad ending. Next time. I'll be an indifferent prick that does nothing without cash money.
View Quote

That's the thing, though- TW3 really nails home the point that 'no deed goes unpunished, righteous or wicked'.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I ended up finding skyrim for xbox one for like 30 bucks so I picked it up and I'm glad I did I liked witcher ok but Skyrim is much more my style
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 4:19:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's the thing, though- TW3 really nails home the point that 'no deed goes unpunished, righteous or wicked'.
View Quote

Save a village, kids die. Save the kids, a village dies.

I did defeat O'dimm though, and got that good ending.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I finished the hearts of stone DLC.  Still need to finish up the blood and wine DLC.  I've been putting it off; I really don't want to see it end, lol.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:29:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I finished the hearts of stone DLC.  Still need to finish up the blood and wine DLC.  I've been putting it off; I really don't want to see it end, lol.  
View Quote

I've been dicking around at all the question marks on the map to prolong the game. I plan to go through it again at some point on game +

The blood and wine has been kicking my ass. Even at the level I am, I still get my ass handed to me by some of the monsters in that addon. The only thing that killed me in hearts of stone, was the toad prince.

Blood and wine though, it full of monsters that are harder than hell to kill. I actually had to run away from a fight with an Alp. It was the first time I encountered one, and had no advanced warning as to what I was walking into. I was able to pop a black blood and went charging back in to slay the beast.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you want to get the good ending for the main game:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:04:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you want to get the good ending for the main game:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

I turned down A when offered, but still helped in the end.

Did B

I thought I did C well, though I never took her to see her Dad. I let her choose not to.

I mostly did D, but didn't do all the Gwent card bullshit. I also failed to meet some of the other characters at designated times, and had some of the quests fail.

I did E.

As for F. He knocked both, but never committed to either. I think I must have ruined the ending by missing a couple of their quests.

Ciri went off to stop the white frost, never to be seen again. I ended up killing the witch and being surrounded by monsters.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:35:43 AM EDT
[#24]
If only Bethesda could write a good main plot line
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Witcher 3 actually had a story that wasn't some cliche cheesy bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:38:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I turned down A when offered, but still helped in the end.

Did B

I thought I did C well, though I never took her to see her Dad. I let her choose not to.

I mostly did D, but didn't do all the Gwent card bullshit. I also failed to meet some of the other characters at designated times, and had some of the quests fail.

I did E.

As for F. He knocked both, but never committed to either. I think I must have ruined the ending by missing a couple of their quests.

Ciri went off to stop the white frost, never to be seen again. I ended up killing the witch and being surrounded by monsters.
View Quote

To avoid the "Ciri dies ending"

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 3:19:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

To avoid the "Ciri dies ending"

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Thanks! I'll make sure to do those on game +.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:10:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Witcher 3 is on sale on GOG for $30, just FYI
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Witcher 3 vote, and do yourself a favor and get the GOTY edition. You get both expansions and 5 or 6 new quests, alternate looks for a few characters and like 1.5 gigs of artwork, interactive comics, the soundtracks to the main game and both expansions.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:26:44 AM EDT
[#30]
I finally ended the last Witcher 3 expansion pack.

I tell you though, it was a hell of a ride. I don't think I have ever played a game I liked this much, and I love Skyrim.
I started my second play through in game+ so I got to keep most of my shit. When I ended the last game I was about level 53 and there wasn't a beast alive that could take me down.

In game plus my top items are now low barrel shit. I am frequently running into monsters that are way over my current (57) level, and getting my life force drained almost to zero. It makes me happy for my mutation that makes me invulnerable for a short time and runs my health back to 100%. I use the shit out of dodging and found my favorite ability is quen.

Quen saved my ass more than once.
I'm still using the vampire health sucking armor, sword, and Lady of the Lake silver sword.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:45:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I like Skyrim much better than Witcher, but that's primarily because I can't get past Witcher's horrid "hack-n-slash" combat system.  I always get bored with Witcher and stop playing after a few hours, but Skyrim I have 1,000 hours or more in game since release.

I am playing on PC though, and running my Skyrim heavily modded.
View Quote
This mirrors my own experience. I always get bored playing The Witcher 3. I am going to give it a third chance, but it just doesn't feel as epic as Skyrim.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Witcher felt lame compared to Skyrim.

Don't waste your time with it.

Controls felt clumsy to me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:20:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Witcher felt lame compared to Skyrim.

Don't waste your time with it.

Controls felt clumsy to me.
View Quote
I thought the combat was better.

Then again, I have only played them on console. I played through Skyrim on PS3 and loved the game even with the slow load times. I received Skyrim along with an Xbone for Christmas this past year, and started it again. While I loved the new look of it, the combat was not the same as on PS. It took some changes to the controls to make it feel right. I got sidetracked by Witcher a month ago and have played nothing else.

What sucks in Witcher is that while you can pick attributes, your slots for them are limited. Even with the mutagen lab opened and more slots to use. I have like one more of those to unlock, and only one space for a new attribute.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:27:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I haven't played Skyrim, but everyone i know that does play it did a vanilla playthrough and then modded the hell out of it. With all the mods, the game never ends. From what I understand it's about a 200-300 hr game to finish story and side quests. You'll put 200 hrs in the GOTY year of Witcher 3. The first playthrough you'll figure out the game mechanics and what "not to do" in the storyline. The Blood and wine expansion gives you another skill tree to play with and the new game +, restarts you at your current level with your gear and skill pts so you can play again for different endings. There's a lot of hidden content that you pick up on in the second go around.

or get both.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:53:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I haven't played Skyrim, but everyone i know that does play it did a vanilla playthrough and then modded the hell out of it. With all the mods, the game never ends. From what I understand it's about a 200-300 hr game to finish story and side quests. You'll put 200 hrs in the GOTY year of Witcher 3. The first playthrough you'll figure out the game mechanics and what "not to do" in the storyline. The Blood and wine expansion gives you another skill tree to play with and the new game +, restarts you at your current level with your gear and skill pts so you can play again for different endings. There's a lot of hidden content that you pick up on in the second go around.

or get both.
View Quote
I played Skyrim for about four months. Main story was done, best armor, weapons, all the shouts. I'd hate to see the actual numbers, but I know it“s in the hundreds of hours.

Witcher took me a solid month to play through. Now I am taking my time to do and see everything. I don't even use roads, or Roach much anymore. Only when I'm over carry weight.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:58:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#38]
I played both beat both, and I still absolutely loved skyrim way better in my opinion. I liked witcher I just didn't love it. I truly wish they would do a true new skyrim type just better built than the rehashed ps3 version. I may still get the remaster.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I played both beat both, and I still absolutely loved skyrim way better in my opinion. I liked witcher I just didn't love it. I truly wish they would do a true new skyrim type just better built than the rehashed ps3 version. I may still get the remaster.
View Quote
Hopefully Elder Scrolls 6 is much better story-wise, and they don't do a massive timeskip like they did for Skyrim.

And it's either set in Elsewyr or Alinor. Possibly Hammerfell.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#40]
That's kind of like asking which is the better car, a Maserati Ghibli or a Local Motors Rally Fighter: they're two completely different animals.  If you like large sandbox games where you can do pretty much anything with very little consequences, then Skyrim is hands down the better game.  If you like a story with incredible depth actions with consequences, then Witcher 3 has no equal in today's crop of games.  

Personally, I think Witcher 3 is the best game that has been produced in the last decade, and might possible be the best RPG of all time.  Every aspect of the game is challenging, from mastering the swordplay to making the necessary decisions to get the most advantageous ending (note I didn't say "best").  The story is excellent, the game play has massive depth, the visuals are awe inspiring (assuming you have the hardware, otherwise, go be poor somewhere else), and the fighting is brutal.  Skyrim is fun, but Witcher 3 is emotionally rewarding (well, unless you suck at gaming and end up with the bad ending).

Regarding the combat: the thing about combat in Witcher is that no matter how powerful Geralt becomes, if you suck, he will die.  As Geralt becomes more powerful, your skills have to level right along with his: you have to be able to dodge and cast and fight, and if your still using the same panic hack mash techniques that you did when Geralt was LV1 and fighting street vermin when he's LV20 and fighting a bog hag, you're going to die... a lot.  You can't just play the game, you have to learn, and get better, or you will fail. This is part of what makes Witcher such a great game.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:34:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That's kind of like asking which is the better car, a Maserati Ghibli or a Local Motors Rally Fighter: they're two completely different animals.  If you like large sandbox games where you can do pretty much anything with very little consequences, then Skyrim is hands down the better game.  If you like a story with incredible depth actions with consequences, then Witcher 3 has no equal in today's crop of games.  

Personally, I think Witcher 3 is the best game that has been produced in the last decade, and might possible be the best RPG of all time.  Every aspect of the game is challenging, from mastering the swordplay to making the necessary decisions to get the most advantageous ending (note I didn't say "best").  The story is excellent, the game play has massive depth, the visuals are awe inspiring (assuming you have the hardware, otherwise, go be poor somewhere else), and the fighting is brutal.  Skyrim is fun, but Witcher 3 is emotionally rewarding (well, unless you suck at gaming and end up with the bad ending).

Regarding the combat: the thing about combat in Witcher is that no matter how powerful Geralt becomes, if you suck, he will die.  As Geralt becomes more powerful, your skills have to level right along with his: you have to be able to dodge and cast and fight, and if your still using the same panic hack mash techniques that you did when Geralt was LV1 and fighting street vermin when he's LV20 and fighting a bog hag, you're going to die... a lot.  You can't just play the game, you have to learn, and get better, or you will fail. This is part of what makes Witcher such a great game.
View Quote
My first play through, I had a grave hag kill my ass in Velan. I was dinking around with the question marks, and came ashore from a boat. I never even saw her at all, just the red scull. I only knew what it was by reloading and going back. I spent 40 minutes shooting bolts and fire at her before she died.

Now I'm like level 79, but can dance around the monsters easily. I don't even have to avoid high level scull opponents. If I take damage I can cast a quen shield, and it raises my health every time someone hits it. Then in combat, my vamp armor siphons off the bad guy's life force.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Dark Souls 3
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Dark Souls 3
View Quote
Just because something is hard doesn't make it particularly good.  Dark souls has awesome fight mechanics, but that's about it; the "stories" could have been written by a 12 year old, and is mostly an excuse to run around killing giant monsters.  If Witcher could incorporate the DS combat engine, it would be truly epic.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#44]
IMO, Witcher 3 is superior. The story throughout the main and side quests was great. Skyrim was fun but was a bit bland without mods.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:26:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Saw this video and reminded me of this thread.. NSFW  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wahdoCajLg
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:28:09 PM EDT
[#46]
I really tried to get into Skyrim, but I just couldn't.  IMO it's Fallout with swords instead of guns, and I like Fallout better.

I liked Witcher 3, but I have to admit that I abandoned it for other games when I got stuck fairly early on.  I vote for Witcher 3; I still think I'll probably pick it up again someday, whereas I don't feel the same way about Skyrim.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:26:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I really tried to get into Skyrim, but I just couldn't.  IMO it's Fallout with swords instead of guns, and I like Fallout better.
View Quote
I've always felt the opposite.  Maybe I just like high fantasy more than alt history/scifi, but I always felt the Elder Scrolls series was better than Fallout.  And I especially feel that way about Skyrim vs FO4.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:41:20 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm playing through TW3 for the first time and am around level 13. So far I like Skyrim a lot better, but I play Skyrim pretty heavily modded... 

Also holy CRAP the horse controls are awful in TW3 (and not "haha yeah, those kinda suck" awful... more "holy hell how did this get through Alpha are they retarded?" bad). I'm pretty much running everywhere now  Lots of other control issues too. 

I'll try it with the first person mod at some point. It just doesn't feel right in 3rd person. 

I love Fallout 3/4 FWIW. 
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm playing through TW3 for the first time and am around level 13. So far I like Skyrim a lot better, but I play Skyrim pretty heavily modded... 

Also holy CRAP the horse controls are awful in TW3 (and not "haha yeah, those kinda suck" awful... more "holy hell how did this get through Alpha are they retarded?" bad). I'm pretty much running everywhere now  Lots of other control issues too. 

I'll try it with the first person mod at some point. It just doesn't feel right in 3rd person. 

I love Fallout 3/4 FWIW. 
View Quote
I agree the horse controls for Roach are kind of funky. It took me a bit to figure them out, as well.

But you can get from Crow's Perch to Novigrad with him, faster. In Skellige I prefer not to use him and just walk everywhere. That place and Toussaint are some of the most amazing locations in game.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Witcher is a joke compared to Skyrim, and I am saying that as someone who liked the Witcher.

Skyrim is just so much more, and everything about it is better.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top