Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2017 10:22:15 AM EDT
A coworker brought over his super computer and HTC Vive VR setup to my house last night.  We made a party out of it my my step kids, wife and another friend.  Got to try a bunch of games.  It was a lot of fun for everyone including my wife who doesn't play much games on my xbox1.   Anyone here have a similar setup.  Wish the hardware prices and specs weren't so steep.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A coworker brought over his super computer and HTC Vive VR setup to my house last night.  We made a party out of it my my step kids, wife and another friend.  Got to try a bunch of games.  It was a lot of fun for everyone including my wife who doesn't play much games on my xbox1.   Anyone here have a similar setup.  Wish the hardware prices and specs weren't so steep.
View Quote

I have everything but the VR headset... seriously though, started building a PC with the intent of VR down the road but at this point I don't think it's worth it. Of course if one had money to wipe one's ass with then sure, why not. I figure VR or augmented reality (AR) will be the wave of the future but right now I think we're still in that Gen 1 phase where everything is still pricey. There is a lot of cool tech being developed though that could bring the price down quite a bit in a few years. Microsoft is really trying to build AR to the masses too which is another cool prospect.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A coworker brought over his super computer and HTC Vive VR setup to my house last night.  We made a party out of it my my step kids, wife and another friend.  Got to try a bunch of games.  It was a lot of fun for everyone including my wife who doesn't play much games on my xbox1.  Anyone here have a similar setup.  Wish the hardware prices and specs weren't so steep.
View Quote

Vive owner checking in.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Just bought a vive. Runnning a gtx 780 3gb and for MOST games it actually works just fine. I can run warthunder VR with headset and it's absolutely incredible. The tank play is a bit too much as the stuttering makes me nauseous and I generally have a stomach like steel. Never been carsick, airsick, motion sick but the stuttering did it for me when playing with tanks. Keep in mind the vive does have a feature called "reprojection" that downscales the graphics a bit to prevent stuttering. However, in tanks it downscales things so much that it looks like an nintendo 64 game. This is the ONLY game I've really experienced a significant issue with. DCS world works fine and the cockpit modeling is insane.

If you want a really fun game Arizona Sunshine is also crazy fun. It's a zombie wave based game but the weapon handling is a blast. You can shoot arms, limbs, heads off... all sorts of good stuff. First time I got it I practically killed myself running into the wall trying to get away from the encroaching horde.

And if there are "other" forms of entertainment I've sampled that are quite well done.

I probably won't upgrade my graphics card as my setup can handle it just fine. IMO you won't be disappointed with this generation but it's not "perfect". The sharpness of the graphics is not desktop display quality but it's still very engrossing. It was worth the cash for me but if you aren't super into gaming and stuff you can probably wait for gen 2. Granted you're going to need a killer setup more than likely but if the headset runs 4k the graphics will be insane.

Like anything you can always wait for a better model but I'd buy it again in hindsight. HTC pulled it off incredibly well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#4]
And if you do get warthunder with a graphics card a bit below recommended spec mess with the retroprojection for most games. I turned it off for warthunder airplanes and the gameplay improved considerably without stuttering. With it off things ran smooth but were just a bit too grainy for it to be enjoyably played.

I almost fell out of my chair looking above and behind me for incoming fighters the first 5 minutes I tried it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top