Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2017 8:06:55 PM EDT
Been looking to build a dirt-cheap gaming rig, and I've been reading up a bit on the T3500 desktop. It sounds like a good starting point, and from what I've read so far, the Xeon is an i7 equivalent. EBay is loaded with them, a lot having 4-6 cores, 12+GB ram (24-32 max), etc, and able to upgrade to better video cards. Starting around $200, too.

I don't need something that will run the newest games maxed out, but anything like the above would be leaps and bounds better than my last desktop.

Does anyone here have any experience with the T3500 series? Thanks. I need a new rig, and my budget is basement level, which makes the T3500 tempting to me.

Google search on specs
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Been looking to build a dirt-cheap gaming rig, and I've been reading up a bit on the T3500 desktop. It sounds like a good starting point, and from what I've read so far, the Xeon is an i7 equivalent. EBay is loaded with them, a lot having 4-6 cores, 12+GB ram (24-32 max), etc, and able to upgrade to better video cards. Starting around $200, too.

I don't need something that will run the newest games maxed out, but anything like the above would be leaps and bounds better than my last desktop.

Does anyone here have any experience with the T3500 series? Thanks. I need a new rig, and my budget is basement level, which makes the T3500 tempting to me.

Google search on specs
View Quote
XEONs are meant for heavy duty computing. Most common use is servers. Some workstations with XEONs were designed for CAD and video editing.  They usually don't have anothing more than a basic video card and sound card  (if they have one at all). 

They are also usually lacking many USB ports.

You could use it, but you would need to invest more that you paid for it in upgrades to make it a gaming PC
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Google search on specs
View Quote

GENERALLY (in bold for you assholes that nitpick with anecdotes) it isn't the core count but the single thread performance that matters. Games like battlefield and what not will generally benefit from more cores, but a dual/quad core with a high clock and higher IPC, cache, etc will smoke a 6, 8 core etc processor since a majority of games aren't optimized to utilize a lot of cores and usually run off just a couple, so anything past that won't benefit much. Some games are starting to become RAM hogs, but generally they're not, just keep in mind usually the RAM in those machines will be slow as shit (1333mhz). Also, the GPU may be trash and/or on it's last legs if you're getting a "lightly used". Keep in mind, as pointed out these are workstation/heavy lifting PCs and if they were used they may have been running at full throttle for quite some time or were crammed in a dusty corner somewhere. If buying new that obviously wouldn't be a concern.

All that negative out the way for $200 or so it's kind of hard to go wrong. If you're planning on upgrading stuff I'd probably just hold off though. Replacing a part here and there adds up quick and if that's the plan it'd be better to just save up a little longer and hunt for deals at fry's or microcenter if you have one near you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:44:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. I don't want to jump on the first desktop I look at, so I'll keep looking around.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Picked up a desktop I think I can work with, and maybe build on in the future. A decent start, anyway. Didn't seem like a completely terrible deal, so I went for it. Let me know what you gents think.

Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.67ghz
8GB RAM
2GB GeForce GTX 750ti video card
1TB hard drive

$200 OTD.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I'm assuming it's a core 2 Qxxxx (8400, 9400 maybe?), everything will be pretty old. The 750ti can still hang in some games, but the CPU will be what is mainly holding you back in that regard. Kind of depends on what you're looking to play to be honest.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#6]
dell refurbs

You won't think it's funny, but these popped up today and I thought of you
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:43:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, I'm assuming it's a core 2 Qxxxx (8400, 9400 maybe?), everything will be pretty old. The 750ti can still hang in some games, but the CPU will be what is mainly holding you back in that regard. Kind of depends on what you're looking to play to be honest.
View Quote

As far as games go, the few I've picked up on DVD are ancient by today's standards, and a couple from Steam aren't much newer. Let me put it this way; my last computer would barely run Battlefield 2 and Half-Life 2 bottomed out.  This rig should be leaps and bounds better than what I'm used to, I'm hoping anyway.  I was wrong on the card, too. It's a GTX 950 2gb, if that's makes any difference over the 750. Been a while since I had anything I could work with, period.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As far as games go, the few I've picked up on DVD are ancient by today's standards, and a couple from Steam aren't much newer. Let me put it this way; my last computer would barely run Battlefield 2 and Half-Life 2 bottomed out.  This rig should be leaps and bounds better than what I'm used to, I'm hoping anyway.  I was wrong on the card, too. It's a GTX 950 2gb, if that's makes any difference over the 750. Been a while since I had anything I could work with, period.
View Quote

Ya, it'll be plenty for what you're looking to do then. If you're looking to upgrade down the road though you'll need to just scrap it and start over. For what you're playing it will be leaps and bounds better. For down the road I'd probably keep an eye out on the new AMD ryzen stuff since it's looking to wipe the floor with comparably priced intel stuff, but we'll see. You could go with one of the new kaby lake pentiums too, tons of single thread performance for the money. So, if you build down the road keep an eye out for fry's/microcenter BOGO deals on kaby lake pentiums or the new budget ryzen stuff then just transfer the gtx950 over. Like I said, the RAM and CPU will be the limiting factor when you feel the need to upgrade. The GPU is old but will serve you fine for a while.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#9]
It finally arrived two days ago. Downloaded War Thunder, not anticipating a whole lot. I spoke too soon. 65-70fps on high settings, no problem. First game with my Tiger 1H, and five kills. What a difference. I'm lucky to get one or two kills max, but going from 15fps on a good day on my old laptop to frame rates like this seems to help a lot. Didn't know what I was missing!
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:42:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It finally arrived two days ago. Downloaded War Thunder, not anticipating a whole lot. I spoke too soon. 65-70fps on high settings, no problem. First game with my Tiger 1H, and five kills. What a difference. I'm lucky to get one or two kills max, but going from 15fps on a good day on my old laptop to frame rates like this seems to help a lot. Didn't know what I was missing!
View Quote

HAHA! Same here! I thought i was the only person in that boat. I have played PC games my whole life on integrated graphics, except for when my friend had a gaming PC when Fallout 3 came out. Then i try out this 750TI. Holly shit what a difference! Red Orchestra 2 isn't just a giant grey blob!
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just be careful, once you get used to 60+ fps on games it's really hard to go back. I barely ever play my ps4 now due to everything just seeming choppy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top