Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2017 4:41:17 PM EDT
Is it just me, or is this way more hassle than it needs to be?

I set this machine up for my kid last year, with no intention of playing online games. We are rural, so internet connection is subpar and inconsistent. We only play stuff like CoD, Batman, Wolfenstein, etc. No MMORPG stuff.
Every game we buy requires 12-24hrs to download "updates" before we can play and they all require a Live account to sign in before playing.
I just bought him the 360 version of Black Ops, because we missed playing it, but it won't let us sign in a second player for split screen.
The password restrictions are tougher than PayPal or any online banking site. I just don't get it.
Am I doing something wrong, or is this just modern gaming?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got to admit I hate the f-ing Xbox. My step son spends his life on the damn thing day and night.

His mother and I grounded it from him for 2 weeks because he managed to fail every one of his classes for not doing and school work. Resulted in an 11pm knock on door from local PD doing a welfare check because he was posting on social media he was going to kill himself with out it. Of course mom gives it right back, with limited hours that he ignores.

Did I say I hate that thing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#3]
My older son has the PlayStation. He says it's not anywhere near as much trouble as the xbox.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:32:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The PlayStation UI is much friendlier and easier to navigate than the XB1 UI.

But as far as game installation and updates go, they're both function in the same way.
View Quote

I haven't messed with it, but he said that he could start playing the games immediately after installing the disks, whereas the xbox forces you to update first. At least that is how I interpreted what he was saying. The last game system I personally owned was a Sega genesis, lol.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I haven't messed with it, but he said that he could start playing the games immediately after installing the disks, whereas the xbox forces you to update first. At least that is how I interpreted what he was saying. The last game system I personally owned was a Sega genesis, lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The PlayStation UI is much friendlier and easier to navigate than the XB1 UI.

But as far as game installation and updates go, they're both function in the same way.

The trick for downloading and installing stuff is to go to settings>network>go offline.

Then put the game disk in and it'll install off the disk instead of trying to download it.  Considering the sizes of games these days, patches and updates are kinda necessary, but keeping the console in 'instant on' power mode or just offline fixes either.  Instant on will download updates in the background even while it's turned off, so unless it is an update that needs to be logged into a game to get, you're good to go.  Offline is just offline.

I'm on DSL so I leave my console on instant on.  Zero issues.  Unless you are playing online or want the latest upgrades for the game, offline play = zero downloads.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks! I didn't even realize that was an option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top