Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2016 12:10:19 PM EDT
I really like the idea of a PC for gaming, but only have a PS3.  It looks like a PC setup could get very $$, all I have now is an iPad.  Do you guys really prefer the PC?  Can I use a PS like controller on the PC?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You can build a good pc now for around 1400, you can us a ps3 controller for pc, but you have to work with buggy difficult software the vast majority of the time. Its just easier to use an Xbox controller
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#2]
It really depends on the games you want to play and how much money you want to spend. You get the best graphics and, for certain types of games like FPS, most precise aiming with a keyboard and mouse on PC. To run new games you're going to spend much more than the $300 a console costs though. There are downsides to a PC as well: consoles are the bigger market so nowadays many games are designed for them first and then half assed ported to the PC with lots of bugs or just shitty performance. You also deal with cheating which can be pretty bad in some games on the PC, it happens to a lesser degree on console games too but it's not things like aimbots or wallhacks that you can do on a PC. If you just want to pop in a disc and enjoy the game without thinking much about it get a console. If you want to experience the games with better graphics and higher framerates than PC is the way to go. Of course there are games that are only on console and vice versa, so if there's specific games you want to play that could be a factor too.

ETA: also forgot to mention the monthly fee required to play online multiplayer on consoles, which of course is not necessary on PC, but Microsoft and Sony also give out free games every month and some other perks to subscribers.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not really enthusiast enough to go the PC route.  I looked up how much to get started and realized the PS4 would be a better fit. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not really enthusiast enough to go the PC route.  I looked up how much to get started and realized the PS4 would be a better fit. Thanks guys.
View Quote

Woah backup. Just review this before you jump headfirst into a console.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/VvYRVY

Consider the following. The PS4 is having a midlife upgrade that will warrant you purchasing another PS4 Pro if you need to upgrade to a 4k capable PS4.

The PC I partpicked can do 4k on 99.9% of games ever made for the platform (excluding 4:3 games that don't have FOV hacks obviously)
Going console will leave you out of exclusive genres to the PC namely RTSs, Turn based strategy, MOBA, MMORPG, simulators, emulators, etc.
Also screw yourself out of Star Citizen.

You will make up for the price difference from Steam/GOG/HumbleBundle sales, and not having to pay 60 a year to play online.

You can use any controller you want if you go for the appropriate dongle or adapter, or you could look into the Titan One/CronusMaxPLUS.
Controller's supported natively:
Xbone
Ps4 via direct input. There are programs to turn it into Xinput.
Steam Controller - the best once you get used to it but still < KB/M for most games. Great for console centric titles.

The Indy game scene is outright ridiculous on the PC compared to the other options.

You can also upgrade it piece by piece.

Just consider it longer.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Consider the following. The PS4 is having a midlife upgrade that will warrant you purchasing another PS4 Pro if you need to upgrade to a 4k capable PS4.

The PC I partpicked can do 4k on 99.9% of games ever made for the platform (excluding 4:3 games that don't have FOV hacks obviously)
Going console will leave you out of exclusive genres to the PC namely RTSs, Turn based strategy, MOBA, MMORPG, simulators, emulators, etc.

You will make up for the price difference from Steam/GOG/HumbleBundle sales, and not having to pay 60 a year to play online.

You can use any controller you want if you go for the appropriate dongle or adapter, or you could look into the Titan One/CronusMaxPLUS.
Xbone
Steam Controller - the best once you get used to it but still < KB/M for most games. Great for console centric titles.

The Indy game scene is outright ridiculous on the PC compared to the other options.

Just consider it longer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Xbone

Just consider it longer.

4K is a bit of a stretch with that setup, 4k at 30fps maybe in some games but it'll likely struggle, especially if it's CPU intensive. Should be more than fine for 1080p though, probably even 1440p in most games.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
4K is a bit of a stretch with that setup, 4k at 30fps maybe in some games but it'll likely struggle, especially if it's CPU intensive. Should be more than fine for 1080p though, probably even 1440p in most games.
View Quote

Not really considering just how immense the number of games made on or before 2014 that are out there. We are talking 99.9% of all games made.

4k Star citizen on low settings set vsnc to half adaptive refresh rate wasn't bad, not the best either. got some smoothness out of it in GTA:V it is about 35-50 stable in semi rough areas. I base this on my old single gtx 980 days, before I SLI'd it.

You'll be surprised what the 1060 series can do, but again the bigger and newer the game the harder it is to do 4k.

Fine tuning is needed with the new 1060 cards, but a great benefit about 4k is that you can be less aggressive with AA effects, and gain some great performance out of that.

Then there is always the fast progress on the Wii-U emulation project, and the X360 ones They've both go a list of playable games now. Get entrenched now and reap the rewards from emulators when they near perfection I say.

And of course not all PS game will play at 4k. The Witcher 3 team chimed in basically saying "we have are hands tied up in a digital card game, and Cyberpunk.

I now have 2x 1080s and ultra all the things in 4k. for now.
You could literally choke somebody with all things he can do with a PC over consoles.

I only mentioned possible TV resolutions since that seems to be where he was going with this build. This build would murder the hell out of 1440p.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know how much you think you had to spend, but keep in mind there are almost always free game codes bundled with CPUs/GPUs, all the gaming services are free, and the game sales make PS/Xbox sales look stupid. I have owned every sony console thus far in addition to most of the nintendo ones and an xbox. Since putting my PC together last year I've fired my ps4 up for netflix/hulu, and that's about it. If I had chromecast/firetv/whatever it wouldn't even be used for that. Keep in mind psplus/xbox gold are both about $60 a year a now. I'll post a build that out will outperform the ps4 pro:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($95.77 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.71 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 4GB NITRO+ 4G Video Card  ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer  ($13.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $588.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-26 13:48 EDT-0400

There's a lot there that could be better, but it'd be a capable machine and if you live near a fry's/microcenter or wait til black friday you could cut $80 from that. Doesn't include monitor/OS/KB/Mouse since most have those sitting around. If a KB/Mouse was needed lthere are decent combos for $25. OS is the only inescapable part unless you can get it through work/school. A lot of people use their TVs as monitors now, but you can get a decent 1080p monitor for $90 easy enough, or save a lot of cash and just load linux/steamOS onto it for free.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not really considering just how immense the number of games made on or before 2014 that are out there. We are talking 99.9% of all games made.

4k Star citizen on low settings set vsnc to half adaptive refresh rate wasn't bad, not the best either. got some smoothness out of it in GTA:V it is about 35-50 stable in semi rough areas. I base this on my old single gtx 980 days, before I SLI'd it.

You'll be surprised what the 1060 series can do, but again the bigger and newer the game the harder it is to do 4k.

Fine tuning is needed with the new 1060 cards, but a great benefit about 4k is that you can be less aggressive with AA effects, and gain some great performance out of that.

Then there is always the fast progress on the Wii-U emulation project, and the X360 ones They've both go a list of playable games now. Get entrenched now and reap the rewards from emulators when they near perfection I say.

And of course not all noPS game will play at 4k. The Witcher 3 team chimed in basically saying "we have are hands tied up in a digital card game, and Cyberpunk.

You could literally choke somebody with all things he can do with a PC over consoles.

I only mentioned possible TV resolutions since that seems to be where he was going with this build. This build would murder the hell out of 1440p.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And of course not all noPS game will play at 4k. The Witcher 3 team chimed in basically saying "we have are hands tied up in a digital card game, and Cyberpunk.

Fixed that for you... you know, because it can't actually do 4k and will be scaling everything up from a lower res. REAALLLLLYYYY glad I bit the bullet and put a PC together before the 2-3yr upgrade lifecycle starts for consoles. The PS4 Pro announcement was a joke.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#9]
It depends on what you're looking for. I much prefer the console community and am picking up the PS4 Pro at launch. If graphics are your absolute priority, go with a PC.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I really like the idea of a PC for gaming, but only have a PS3.  It looks like a PC setup could get very $$, all I have now is an iPad.  Do you guys really prefer the PC?  Can I use a PS like controller on the PC?
View Quote

Heh I use a PC specifically so I do not have to use a controller!
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#11]
i already have a pc but looking at getting a console for the games that don't get ported like destiny and what not...trying to decide which would be the better choice the xbone or the ps4
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i already have a pc but looking at getting a console for the games that don't get ported like destiny and what not...trying to decide which would be the better choice the xbone or the ps4
View Quote

Upcoming xbox scorpio would be the most powerful option.  And xbox play anywhere games (xbox/windows pc) is a nice option.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#13]
#1 PC
#2 XBOX1
#3 Ps4
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#14]
PC, hands down.  Why?

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Upcoming xbox scorpio would be the most powerful option.  And xbox play anywhere games (xbox/windows pc) is a nice option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

but with xbox play anywhere having a pc and an xbox is kinda redundant
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:03:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not necessarily.  You do your home gaming primarily on your xbox.  On the road, on your laptop.  

Not everyone actually likes using a keyboard/mouse over a controller.  Another scenario is doing mp on the xbox, and sp on the PC.

Aside from that, sony has become lazy/complacent.  You can see that with their PS4 slim vs the slim xbox one and the PS4 pro vs the scorpio.  The xbox one slim provides the better value and the scorpio will provide the superior experience.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:43:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, as a lifetime sony fanboy the obvious answer for me is the xbox. Seriously, sony dun goofed big time. I was pretty damn close to getting the xbone even with having a pc and ps4 just because there are a lot of coworkers I want to play with. The play anywhere stuff kind of swayed me from that. I would love if destiny were to come to pc, and at this point while I wouldn't expect destiny 2 to come to PC, I wouldn't be surprised either. Destiny 2 will definitely not be for last gen consoles at all, and with the state of current gen consoles it's becoming lazier and lazier to not release on PC as well since ps4/xbone are just closed OS PCs at this point. If you have the patience I'd hold off until the scorpio comes out. I don't think it will meet expectations, and if it does I'm sure it'll be at a hefty price point... but the xbone slim and ps4/pro should at least go on sale if nothing else.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:47:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

True, but you are also paying once for the game on both platforms, so not really a loss there.

Quoted:

Not everyone actually likes using a keyboard/mouse over a controller.  Another scenario is doing mp on the xbox, and sp on the PC.

Which is why it's nice to use the xbox, ps4, steam, or whatever controller you want.

Quoted:
It depends on what you're looking for. I much prefer the console community and am picking up the PS4 Pro at launch. If graphics are your absolute priority, go with a PC.

While I enjoy my friends on PS4, PC for a lot of games has a better community IMHO. Not to mention sales, no questions asked refunds, complete control over the system, upgrade ability, actual mod support, huge library of free games, etc.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I have learned a lot from this thread.   If I go the PC route I will build it myself for sure.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

True, but you are also paying once for the game on both platforms, so not really a loss there.

Which is why it's nice to use the xbox, ps4, steam, or whatever controller you want.

While I enjoy my friends on PS4, PC for a lot of games has a better community IMHO. Not to mention sales, no questions asked refunds, complete control over the system, upgrade ability, actual mod support, huge library of free games, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't really use a controller with PC multiplayer and expect to have a good experience.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Can't really use a controller with PC multiplayer and expect to have a good experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on what you're playing, for FPS yes that's definitely true but for other genres like racing or fighting games a controller is preferable to a kb/mouse. I use a xb1 controller with my pc for pretty much everything except FPS'es.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Depends on what you're playing, for FPS yes that's definitely true but for other genres like racing or fighting games a controller is preferable to a kb/mouse. I use a xb1 controller with my pc for pretty much everything except FPS'es.
View Quote

I'm the same. The only games I really use KB&M on anymore are FPS games, everything else I use an XB1 controller.

Mostly because most PC games that I play nowadays are console ports anyway and the whole user experience is so tailored to using a controller. Off the top of my head the two main games I'm playing on PC right now are both controller only games (Batman Arkham Knight and Forza Horizon 3).
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is true for FPS and MMO/RPG, or MOBA games for the most part.

Most "action", flight, fighting, and racing games would benefit hugely from a controller. There are people that play overwatch with steam controllers and do decent, not ideal though. Still goes back to being able to use whatever the hell you want in whatever flavor you want.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#24]
If you're a nerd who cares about seeing individual, detailed snowflakes in a game, get a PC.  If you're a casual gamer who likes to kill an hour every now and then, get a PS4.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you're a nerd who cares about seeing individual, detailed snowflakes in a game, get a PC.  If you're a casual gamer who likes to kill an hour every now and then, get a PS4.

View Quote

Or if you really like paying a subscription fee to play online and get "free" games that disappear from your account if you ever drop your service. But it is nice to sit on the couch and enjoy beautiful upscaled resolutions in cinematic 24-30fps. Once again, as a lifelong console fanboy, I'm surprised I wasn't buying hipoints and sigmas and saying how great they are for the casual gun owner.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Hmmm....let's are here.

$500 for a ps4 and games that is essentially plug and play and has standardized specs so every game made for it is going to work as well as it's code will allow.

Or

$1400 for a PC that will need a refresh of hardware in a couple years, and is not standardized.

Granted, the pc is probably capable of a "better experience" but the ps4 is damn good in its own right for the games I play.....and I can buy a big ass 4k tv with the left over $ compared to just the pc.

Yeah.....for someone who's life isn't gaming who doesn't have unlimited funds......ps4 is the clear winner here.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Or if you really like paying a subscription fee to play online and get "free" games that disappear from your account if you ever drop your service. But it is nice to sit on the couch and enjoy beautiful upscaled resolutions in cinematic 24-30fps. Once again, as a lifelong console fanboy, I'm surprised I wasn't buying hipoints and sigmas and saying how great they are for the casual gun owner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Xbox has always had a pay-to-play service and no one bitched.  I spend more than the $45/year it costs on dumber shit.  If that's gonna break the bank, then an expensive computer is already off the table, anyway.

PC and consoles both have their place and the gun analogy isn't a good one, IMO.  Maybe my "nerd" comment came off wrong.  I'm just talking shit, and mean no offense.

For someone like me who only plays a few hours a week, a PS4 was just easier and gets the job done more than well enough.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hmmm....let's are here.

$500 for a ps4 and games that is essentially plug and play and has standardized specs so every game made for it is going to work as well as it's code will allow.

Or

$1400 for a PC that will need a refresh of hardware in a couple years, and is not standardized.

Granted, the pc is probably capable of a "better experience" but the ps4 is damn good in its own right for the games I play.....and I can buy a big ass 4k tv with the left over $ compared to just the pc.

Yeah.....for someone who's life isn't gaming who doesn't have unlimited funds......ps4 is the clear winner here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Hmmm....let's are here.

Or

I wouldn't say the ps4 or the pc is the winner each time, but as you pointed out, it does absolutely come down to budget in a lot of cases. Saying $1400 is a baseline for a capable pc is complete bullshit though. Refresh every 2 years? I'm really interested in seeing how valid that point will be when consoles finish their transition to a 2-3 year upgrade cycle, especially considering 3-4 year old setups are still running things on medium/high at higher framerates than console games and will continue to do so for another year or two on low. I don't have unlimited funds by any means but I have a lot of time to play games, I've paid it off just in savings on games and what not already over the past 10 months. Insisting a decent setup is 1400 is no different than the noveske circle jerkers that insist everybody must own one and there is nothing below that price that functions.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Xbox has always had a pay-to-play service and no one bitched.  I spend more than the $45/year it costs on dumber shit.  If that's gonna break the bank, then an expensive computer is already off the table, anyway.

PC and consoles both have their place and the gun analogy isn't a good one, IMO.  Maybe my "nerd" comment came off wrong.  I'm just talking shit, and mean no offense.

For someone like me who only plays a few hours a week, a PS4 was just easier and gets the job done more than well enough.

For a few hours a week I'd agree PS4 is probably the clear choice. I absolutely hate people that have a "I'm right and you're wrong" mindset (aka, the trump), but one point I really don't think is up for debate is the long term cost of actual game purchases. Steam sales, humble, gog, etc puts PC far ahead in that regard. If it's for an hour or so here and there that's a moot point though by all means. The three strongest reasons to go console every time IMHO are:
1) "I wanna flop on the couch and play for an hour or so after work"
2) "All of my friends/family are on platform"
3) "I have a hard budget of $300 or so, need a game included in that budget, and don't want to build something for $500" (money gets tight and what not).

If somebody fits in one of those 3 categories, then console is the clear choice. I went PC because my laptop took a dump and needed a new computer anyways, figured it'd make sense to spend an extra $200 over what I was going to blow on a laptop and get something functional and fun as well. If it's just for games and nothing else that makes less sense, most households have some kind of computer and I think that's where my mindset of it being a smart financial choice makes sense.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:05:19 AM EDT
[#29]
I agree with your points.  For #2, I don't know anyone who plays games on PC (aside from the Arfcommers I used to play with who left Playstation for PC).  Being that multiplayer is the only part of a game I bother with (I haven't played a campaign in years), that is a big deal.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I agree with your points.  For #2, I don't know anyone who plays games on PC (aside from the Arfcommers I used to play with who left Playstation for PC).  Being that multiplayer is the only part of a game I bother with (I haven't played a campaign in years), that is a big deal.

View Quote

Absolutely, gets boring playing with yourself all the time (badum tsss)

I have coworkers on ps4 but a majority of active people are on xbox. I was inches away from picking up the xbox when microsoft announced the play anywhere stuff so they saved me from spending more cash on another console. I mostly built mine for star citizen which is likely never coming to console, and there is a huge arfcom player base for it. For rocket league, CoD, BF, etc, doesn't make much sense. Competitive FPSes sure, but if one doesn't have interest in the usual PC exclusives or modded single player games then it could be a waste
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#31]
The cost argument is not really fair. It depends on how you game and when you buy your games.

I used to game exclusively on a 360 after moving away from PC gaming to save money. I did a tally on my game library. Holy cow, even with used games I spent a shit ton of money on games.

I built a gaming PC in 2013 for a few more hundred than a new xbone and it's still running games fine. My library is twice the size my 360 library was and I spent half as much on games. Steam,gog,amazon,etc all run real sales where I get games for 45%-%75 off retail. That kind of discount never happens with consoles.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The cost argument is not really fair. It depends on how you game and when you buy your games.

I used to game exclusively on a 360 after moving away from PC gaming to save money. I did a tally on my game library. Holy cow, even with used games I spent a shit ton of money on games.

I built a gaming PC in 2013 for a few more hundred than a new xbone and it's still running games fine. My library is twice the size my 360 library was and I spent half as much on games. Steam,gog,amazon,etc all run real sales where I get games for 45%-%75 off retail. That kind of discount never happens with consoles.
View Quote

I have a 12 year old steam account, valued at about $1800 with 96 games, actual cost paid was about $500. I have about 20 ps4 games, about $1000 in between them all. Shit hurts man
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Steam,gog,amazon,etc all run real sales where I get games for 45%-%75 off retail. That kind of discount never happens with consoles.
View Quote

except for when it does... all the time. Xbox Live and PSN are always running sales with deals comparable to what you can find on steam.

and I say that as an owner of all 3 platforms.

Just the other day, Battlefield 4 was on sale for $5 or PSN... and both services offer you a handful of free games every month, to download and keep.

in the last year, i've added and played (all for free)

Forza Horizon
Journey
Mirror's Edge
The Crew
Broforce
Rocket League
Tropico 5
Dead Star
Saint's Row IV
Dead Space
The Wolf Among Us
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

just to name some of the highlights.

here's the complete list of free games that have been available through games with gold on XBL

https://www.tekrevue.com/complete-xbox-games-with-gold-list-details/

here's PSN's Free offerings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(North_America)
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

except for when it does... all the time. Xbox Live and PSN are always running sales with deals comparable to what you can find on steam.

Just the other day, Battlefield 4 was on sale for $5 or PSN... and both services offer you a handful of free games every month, to download and keep.

Forza Horizon
Journey
Mirror's Edge
The Crew
Broforce
Rocket League
Tropico 5
Dead Star
Saint's Row IV
Dead Space
The Wolf Among Us

here's the complete list of free games that have been available through games with gold on XBL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(North_America)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Steam,gog,amazon,etc all run real sales where I get games for 45%-%75 off retail. That kind of discount never happens with consoles.

Forza Horizon
Journey
Mirror's Edge
The Crew
Broforce
Rocket League
Tropico 5
Dead Star
Saint's Row IV
Dead Space
The Wolf Among Us

As somebody that has had both for a lil while, if hypothetically speaking sony raises the prices of their online service and you decide not to renew, those "free" games are gone until you pay up for plus again. There isn't really any such thing as a free lunch on any platform, but between the huge library of actually free games on steam, uplay give aways, humble bundle monthly sub games, etc, I'd still give the value to the PC as far as game purchases go. Like I said a couple posts up, it pays itlself off if you're a heavy gamer. If somebody is going to buy destiny, battlefield, or whatever, and play that for a year straight before branching out, then it isn't going to pay itself off in savings.

In any which case I think it's cool both sides have strong arguments again. Consoles keep falling in price as do PC games/hardware. There are tons of AAA games to choose from at any time on console, PC is getting what were once console exclusives, consoles are getting what were once PC exclusive games, and both sides look to have decent VR offerings. Even a few years ago I don't think PC had as strong an argument going for it, but it's a great thing for the consumer today to have that many viable options IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

As somebody that has had both for a lil while, if hypothetically speaking sony raises the prices of their online service and you decide not to renew, those "free" games are gone until you pay up for plus again. There isn't really any such thing as a free lunch on any platform, but between the huge library of actually free games on steam, uplay give aways, humble bundle monthly sub games, etc, I'd still give the value to the PC as far as game purchases go. Like I said a couple posts up, it pays itlself off if you're a heavy gamer. If somebody is going to buy destiny, battlefield, or whatever, and play that for a year straight before branching out, then it isn't going to pay itself off in savings.

In any which case I think it's cool both sides have strong arguments again. Consoles keep falling in price as do PC games/hardware. There are tons of AAA games to choose from at any time on console, PC is getting what were once console exclusives, consoles are getting what were once PC exclusive games, and both sides look to have decent VR offerings. Even a few years ago I don't think PC had as strong an argument going for it, but it's a great thing for the consumer today to have that many viable options IMHO.
View Quote

I won't argue with you for a second that right now is probably one of the best times to be a gamer in the history of gaming, regardless of your platform choice. It's frustrating as a (prefer console) gamer to watch the mindset exist like the poster i quoted earlier - to still equate consoles with physical media. MS really wanted to go to a steam-style delivery service with the XBO that would have been GREAT for their customers, and developers... Steam is a great platform for the gaming market. Unfortunately, the majority of the fanboy gamer base went into mouth-breathe rage over "muh used games and gamestop and nothing goes on sale and digital sucks"...

both sony and MS are starting to get the digital markets going on their consoles, but we could have been so much further down that road...
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I won't argue with you for a second that right now is probably one of the best times to be a gamer in the history of gaming, regardless of your platform choice. It's frustrating as a (prefer console) gamer to watch the mindset exist like the poster i quoted earlier - to still equate consoles with physical media. MS really wanted to go to a steam-style delivery service with the XBO that would have been GREAT for their customers, and developers... Steam is a great platform for the gaming market. Unfortunately, the majority of the fanboy gamer base went into mouth-breathe rage over "muh used games and gamestop and nothing goes on sale and digital sucks"...

both sony and MS are starting to get the digital markets going on their consoles, but we could have been so much further down that road...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true. Shareplay and such alleviated people's concerns that you wouldn't be able to share games and such. Living out in the boonies though I somewhat understand the frustration of those that want physical media. I don't have a optical drive on my PC, it's nice to have a smaller case with less clutter and all... except when I try to download a game in my apartment complex which is 90% single males between the ages of 21-35. Pornhub absolutely crushes my download speeds when everybody gets home from work and decides they want to rub out that easy one right about 6-10pm. I'd imagine if I had a xbox/ps4 somewhere overseas and just wanted some local multiplayer without needing to download a game I'd be pissed too. That said, People kind of blew that out of proportion considering it's probably less than 1% of the user base and even those with slow connections like myself should be getting by with just downloading in rest mode. Gamestop pays out so little for trading games in that people should realize MS/Sony were trying to do them a favor. I would like to see both their online stores do what steam does with refunds. Download a game and you just know it's garbage within 2 hrs? Have your money back. Steam has saved me from quite a bit of buyer's remorse (sorry no man's sky)
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Very true. Shareplay and such alleviated people's concerns that you wouldn't be able to share games and such. Living out in the boonies though I somewhat understand the frustration of those that want physical media. I don't have a optical drive on my PC, it's nice to have a smaller case with less clutter and all... except when I try to download a game in my apartment complex which is 90% single males between the ages of 21-35. Pornhub absolutely crushes my download speeds when everybody gets home from work and decides they want to rub out that easy one right about 6-10pm. I'd imagine if I had a xbox/ps4 somewhere overseas and just wanted some local multiplayer without needing to download a game I'd be pissed too. That said, People kind of blew that out of proportion considering it's probably less than 1% of the user base and even those with slow connections like myself should be getting by with just downloading in rest mode. Gamestop pays out so little for trading games in that people should realize MS/Sony were trying to do them a favor. I would like to see both their online stores do what steam does with refunds. Download a game and you just know it's garbage within 2 hrs? Have your money back. Steam has saved me from quite a bit of buyer's remorse (sorry no man's sky)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to point out the fact that we've managed to make it like 4 quotes about video games, game sales, and PS4/PC/XBO and we haven't told each other to fuck off yet. well done, us!

I did just get my first gaming pc in years about 6 months ago, and have been really enjoying it. Hasn't really pulled me away from my consoles entirely, i probably spend a similar amount of time on all 3. They all do different things really well, and they all play the majority of the same games. Sure, the PC looks better, but I'm not the type to get all hung up on graphics being the end-all be-all factor in gameplay.

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'd like to point out the fact that we've managed to make it like 4 quotes about video games, game sales, and PS4/PC/XBO and we haven't told each other to fuck off yet. well done, us!

I did just get my first gaming pc in years about 6 months ago, and have been really enjoying it. Hasn't really pulled me away from my consoles entirely, i probably spend a similar amount of time on all 3. They all do different things really well, and they all play the majority of the same games. Sure, the PC looks better, but I'm not the type to get all hung up on graphics being the end-all be-all factor in gameplay.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hooray civil discussion! I got mine about 10 months ago or so and haven't fired the ps4 up much except for rocket league and Netflix. The thing that really did it for me was that I mostly play shooters so a 144hz monitor and adjustable FOV makes it hard to go back to shooters on PS4. When the wife is back in town it'll probably see more time since we were pretty big on diablo 3 couch co op. I could do it on the pc but my router blows and I don't trust the steam link to keep up.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Hooray civil discussion! I got mine about 10 months ago or so and haven't fired the ps4 up much except for rocket league and Netflix. The thing that really did it for me was that I mostly play shooters so a 144hz monitor and adjustable FOV makes it hard to go back to shooters on PS4. When the wife is back in town it'll probably see more time since we were pretty big on diablo 3 couch co op. I could do it on the pc but my router blows and I don't trust the steam link to keep up.
View Quote

I've kinda done the opposite - mostly built the PC with rocket league in mind (I play competitively)  - so mostly moved my RL play on the PC for those sweet eff pee esses.

still playing a lot of overwatch, fallout, and some other stuff over on consoles.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I've kinda done the opposite - mostly built the PC with rocket league in mind (I play competitively)  - so mostly moved my RL play on the PC for those sweet eff pee esses.

still playing a lot of overwatch, fallout, and some other stuff over on consoles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't know how you do overwatch on console, tried it on a free weekend and torb killed it for me. Rocket league with a controller right? I keep debating whether or not to pick it up since I have it on ps4 already, or I would if I still had ps plus
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Don't know how you do overwatch on console, tried it on a free weekend and torb killed it for me. Rocket league with a controller right? I keep debating whether or not to pick it up since I have it on ps4 already, or I would if I still had ps plus
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

they've nerfed torb - don't really see too much of him right now in the current meta.

yeah, I use my PS4 controller on the pc to play RL. it goes on sale all the time - i think it's actually on sale right now. 25% off the game and DLCs...  (i prefer the xbox one elite controller, but have so many hours on RL that it's easier to stay with that controller for muscle memory purposes.)

i play on the PS4 still, too - but one cool thing about the cross platform and private matches in the game is I can still play with my PS4 teammates in our competitive matches - i just drop into PS4 chat, run a cable to my PC headset, and can chat with them on PS and use my PC to play and still get game audio.

been pretty neat to really get cross platform to work well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:37:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

they've nerfed torb - don't really see too much of him right now in the current meta.

yeah, I use my PS4 controller on the pc to play RL. it goes on sale all the time - i think it's actually on sale right now. 25% off the game and DLCs...  (i prefer the xbox one elite controller, but have so many hours on RL that it's easier to stay with that controller for muscle memory purposes.)

i play on the PS4 still, too - but one cool thing about the cross platform and private matches in the game is I can still play with my PS4 teammates in our competitive matches - i just drop into PS4 chat, run a cable to my PC headset, and can chat with them on PS and use my PC to play and still get game audio.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll probably pick it up while it's still on sale, have a steam controller and some DS4s laying around that I can use. Wouldn't be able to run a line for ps party chat but I keep hearing that discord may come to ps4 which would be amazing
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:49:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'll probably pick it up while it's still on sale, have a steam controller and some DS4s laying around that I can use. Wouldn't be able to run a line for ps party chat but I keep hearing that discord may come to ps4 which would be amazing
View Quote

that would kick ass.

I picked up a set of Logitech G933s - did a bunch of research on headsets to figure out how i could replace the 4 or 5 that were all floating around all the different consoles.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g933-7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset

those were the winners - compatible with all 3 platforms, good quality, and work with up to 3 audio sources at simultaneously.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:38:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

that would kick ass.

I picked up a set of Logitech G933s - did a bunch of research on headsets to figure out how i could replace the 4 or 5 that were all floating around all the different consoles.

those were the winners - compatible with all 3 platforms, good quality, and work with up to 3 audio sources at simultaneously.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that would kick ass.

I'll probably subtly hint to the wife that something like those might make a good christmas gift. Already have some Sennheisser 598s running with extra power to the aux port on my mobo so I'm fairly content for now. Still haven't gotten over my wireless turtle beach set snapping after 4 months with my ps4
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#45]
This has continued to be a great discussion, I have learned much.  But I am going to go console, I'm just not that dedicated ......yet.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'll probably subtly hint to the wife that something like those might make a good christmas gift. Already have some Sennheisser 598s running with extra power to the aux port on my mobo so I'm fairly content for now. Still haven't gotten over my wireless turtle beach set snapping after 4 months with my ps4
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that would kick ass.

sennheisser makes good stuff. Sucks about the TBs - i had a really nice set for my 360 that are sadly obsolete now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This has continued to be a great discussion, I have learned much.  But I am going to go console, I'm just not that dedicated ......yet.
View Quote

now, we can turn this ugly. why ps4 and not xbox?
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, for the 10th time I've been a life long sony fanboy... I'd probably go xbox. They really fumbled the ball with the ps4 pro on a multitude of levels. Especially with the play anywhere stuff microsoft is doing if I were in the market and had a pc or planned on getting one at any point it makes more sense to get an xbox and double dip with cross platform purchases. I still like sony exclusives the most personally, but I don't think that outweighs them making questionable hardware decisions. It sucks because last gen they were getting stomped and really pulled it together this gen. Now that they're ahead again they go back to old money grabbing dipshit calls sony.

Quoted:

Possibly a good call right now. HBM2 is right around the corner, power consumption and temps keep plummeting on hardware pretty fast. If you build one in a couple years I think you'll be jumping in at the cheapest but most performance oriented time in PC gaming. I think if AMD's zen architecture delivers Intel might step it up and have better offerings in a year or two. Intel is top dog right now and is putting out some good processors but they don't really have any competition from AMD except at the extreme budget price point, so if AMD gives them a run for their money I think they'll quit sandbagging it. We're nearing the limits of silicone and graphene is a ways off, but intel hasn't been moving to smaller nm manufacturing as fast as they could IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a ps4. It has been good.

However the console companys talking about upgrading every couple of years.
Along with sony's blowing the fallout4 mods.

Has me trying to accept that I will be building a gaming pc instead of upgrading the console this year.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sold on either, just have more time on the Sony PS.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top