Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2016 2:09:30 PM EDT
Game's kind of a turd but for those of us with the Season Pass we have some new content to play with...

Death Star expansion is out for Season Pass owners, October 4th for everyone else. A big patch just landed as well for everyone. This expansion and patch include:

5 new maps around/in the Death Star
New game mode: Battle Station
2 new weapons
2 new Star Cards
Chewbacca and Bossk heroes
Red Five (X-wing) and TIE Advanced hero vehicles
Level cap raised to 90
6 new Hutt Contracts
A handful of new appearance options
and lots of tweaks to traits, cards, weapons, vehicles, as well as bug fixes.

The new game mode is probably the best part and if they had more varieties of this from the start, the game would have been a lot better. The Battle Station matches are split up into phases

First, you're in a space dogfight attacking/defending a Star Destroyer. Why they didn't implement something like this sooner is beyond me. It's like Walker Assault, but in space and everyone's in a fighter.

Then everyone gets put on foot in the Death Star trying to defend/attack a droid. Lots of action.

Lastly, everyone's back in fighters attacking/defending the Death Star. Another really fun objective mode to break up the monotonous old Fighter Squadron mode. You're either in waves of rebel fighters trying to get a torpedo into the Death Star, or defending with TIE fighters. This part includes some pretty fun trench gameplay that mirrors the last scene of Star Wars IV.

There are also B-Wing, Y-Wing, TIE Defender, and TIE Bomber power ups in the vehicle modes. You don't get to control them but they appear on the battlefield and fight for you.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I was all in on Battlefront.  Even used that as an excuse to get the Darth Vader PS4.  Okay, it was actually the other way, I wanted a PS4, and the Vader edition is awesome!

Anyway, I played it a bit, but while it looks and sounds awesome, it's pretty shallow.

Haven't got the other two DLC packs, but was going to get the Death Star pack.  I'm a 'veteran' of the old X-Wing and TIE Fighter PC games, so I was really looking forward to running that trench again, with modern graphics!

Then I watched a game play video of it.  What the hell is up with the tight twists and turns?!  It wasn't a maze, that was DStar II!  Oh, and look....there's the funky Blue Plus Shaped section right before they broke out into the core of DStar II....what the....

So, that really killed my enthusiasm for the pack.  I might still get it if they put it and/or the others on sale, maybe.

Oh, and yeah, I know Defenders and TIE Bombers have been added.  But....unplayable?!  wow....
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:16:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the game still even populated?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#3]
It's populated, but this new expansion is a dud, and I say that as someone who has thoroughly enjoyed the previous expansions. The new guns are overpowered but the map options are poor. It's worth playing if you have the Season Pass, otherwise it's a good idea to avoid this expansion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top