Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2016 9:20:24 PM EDT
Hello!

I received some help from here before, but due to monitory issues, I did not build myself a computer. I currently only have 1080p monitors, but I'd love to get a 1440 monitor at some point. So I am hoping the 1070 will do 1440 on high settings.

Here is my current build: pcpartpicker

I'd prefer not to spend as much, but it is what it is. I have never built a computer before, nor do I really know how to overclock, but I am sure I can do it.

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 1:30:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello!

I received some help from here before, but due to monitory issues, I did not build myself a computer. I currently only have 1080p monitors, but I'd love to get a 1440 monitor at some point. So I am hoping the 1070 will do 1440 on high settings.

I'd prefer not to spend as much, but it is what it is. I have never built a computer before, nor do I really know how to overclock, but I am sure I can do it.

View Quote

Looks pretty solid, you could save a pretty good chunk of cash bumping everything down a tier, but the build you have in pcpartpicker is going to be pretty future proof for a long time.

In any which case, here's an alternate list that would save about tree fiddy

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($249.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($152.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($88.48 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($439.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($16.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($88.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1289.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-01 01:27 EDT-0400

Went from i7 to i5 because the i7 is nice and what not, but there usually isn't a noticeable difference unless you're playing an extremely cpu intensive game or do a lot of video editing. Somebody will come along shortly after they finish cleaning their nighthawk inside their aston martin and tell you i7 or nothing. They're nice, and if you have the cash by all means go for it, but if you want to save some cash there is nothing wrong with an i5 at all if it's a gaming machine, there are plenty of benchmarks to back that up.
Went a little cheaper on the memory, the high speed stuff is great, but once again, if you're a budget and want to save cash I don't think you'll be noticing a massive difference in speeds. Some say they do, but it isn't like going from a 60hz monitor to 144hz, there is a difference but it won't be night and day. Once again, your money so decide if that almost imperceptible difference is worth the extra cash.
Went with a different mobo, the one you picked out is a beast but probably unnecessary. Keep in mind Asus has world famous awful RMA experiences, especially with their mobos, so be advised. Just happened to a friend actually, had to go out and buy a new one after getting his mobo sent back 3 separate times and having asus say it's fine right before shipping it back even more broken.
Went smaller SSD, more is always better but if you're just leaving the OS and a couple frequently played games then 250gb is enough.
Case and power supply are both solid but I swapped them out for ones that are also quality but come in a little cheaper.

Anyways, you had a really good build posted, the one I put together would perform nearly as well but a few hundred cheaper. Just throwing some ideas out there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Go 6 core, because Star Citizen..

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/TKcrD8

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($368.82 @ B&H)

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($46.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3P (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($158.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($101.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($156.46 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($439.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.98 @ Amazon)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($92.99 @ B&H)

Total: $1585.45

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hello!

View Quote

What do you have now?

I agree with the others that either a 6600k or a 5820k are better options than a 6700k.

A refurb 980 Ti can be had for ~$380.

Also, you might want to consider a retail Windows license since it is transferable should you ever (re)build a new system in the future (OEM is tied to that specific model of motherboard).
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/TKcrD8

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($368.82 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($46.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3P (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($158.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($101.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($156.46 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.98 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($92.99 @ B&H)

Total: $1585.45

That is a really good point, OP didn't say what he plans to play so the i5 would be a good option if not planning around star citizen. Keep in mind OP that if you had star citizen in mind for the future an i7 will be the better call as the devs have said the full release game will be making use of it. If you want to save cash and plan on playing that game you could sub the i5 for the i7 and still go with slightly cheaper components everywhere else to save a little cash.

edit: Also op, as far as the cpu cooler goes the hyper 212 evo is the best for the money, but as a previous owner I'd really advise ponying up the extra $10 for a cryorig h5 or h7 on sale. I have a windowed case and the 212 is ugly as sin and a PITA to mount. The cryorig looks nicer, performs slightly better, and has a better mounting solution. On sale it's only an extra $10, I'd say it's worth it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#5]
All,

Thanks for the suggestions!  I play a bit of everything to be honest, but my old store bought is on its last leg and has taken all the fun out of gaming.

On motherboards, thank you for informing me about dealing with Asus, I did not know that they were difficult to do with.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top