Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#1]
If you find a planet named "OMG It Spins", you'll know who's been there.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Speaking of naming planets, anyone come up with a naming convention that you're going to use?

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Speaking of naming planets, anyone come up with a naming convention that you're going to use?

View Quote

I'm a huge rocket league fan, so I plan to find at least one galaxy and try to name each planet there after one of the Rocket League quick chat options.

after that, i'll probably make fun of my friends via planetary names.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

(Something) Prime for the first planet I land on. (Something) Prime (letter) for its moons.  (Something)(number) for the other planets and (Something) (number) (letter) for their moons.

(Something) System

Anything bigger than that will be picked at the time of discovery.

ETA

My plan is to map all the planets and moons in a system.  I'll probably spend an hour or two on the more interesting planets in the system before hopping to the next one.

I'm in no rush to get to the center
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Ah, fuck it... I just pre-ordered it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

ETA

Post patch Twitch live stream Link
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ETA

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

Nobanssky....

Lol
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
Hodor

Hodorhodor

Hodorhodorhodor  

etc

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#10]

I have a feeling this is going to be surprisingly accurate.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Aw come on, I think we could come up with more original names than those...

.... XxDickbuttxX11!!1!...

I'm at GameStop right now for a midnight release. There's only 10 of us so far and we're just hanging out in the store.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 11:41:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Here's a good read on the console certification process and why you wind up with first day patches.

http://ramiismail.com/2016/08/patch-the-process/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gee, funny that someone didn't see this coming

I didn't. I was expecting a somewhat buggy release with a meh day 1 patch. Pretty decent amount of work since going gold, especially for a 12 or 15 man team or whatever they have. Guess we'll find out tonight if it lives up or not. It does seem as though this is stuff that should have been in the final version anyways. I'm thinking they probably went gold to get sony to stfu and then went on a lot of all nighters to get this stuff in.

Here's a good read on the console certification process and why you wind up with first day patches.

http://ramiismail.com/2016/08/patch-the-process/

I knew some of the stuff in the article already. I can't remember the last game I played that didn't have a patch on day 1 or 2 on ps4 due to the reasons outlined in that article. It just seemed surprising how much stuff they fit into the first patch even considering the time.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I knew some of the stuff in the article already. I can't remember the last game I played that didn't have a patch on day 1 or 2 on ps4 due to the reasons outlined in that article. It just seemed surprising how much stuff they fit into the first patch even considering the time.
View Quote

I'm floored by the difference pre and post patch.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This wait right now is probably the slowest 5 minutes of my life.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 11:57:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This wait right now is probably the slowest 5 minutes of my life.
View Quote

Good luck out there
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 2:32:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Been watching live streams.

There is a profanity filter for naming planets...

Which is funny because the predictive text pulled up "Satanic" for a name they were typing and then it wouldnt let them use it.

Game looks like an interesting time sink.   Probably wait for the newer higher power PS4 to get it and then hope VR support drops.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 4:58:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Spent all night playing. Online services don't work; you can't search for other people's discoveries nor can you upload a fully-discovered planet of your own for the big rewards.

I found myself sitting in a space station hangar for an hour just watching all the NPC ships come in. The variety is astounding. You can interact with each one and offer to buy their ship.

The game crashed once while I was in hyperdrive. Reading Reddit, it looks like a lot of people are plagued with crashes. Here's to hoping the fix the online server problems and crashes.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:03:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Spent all night playing. Online services don't work; you can't search for other people's discoveries nor can you upload a fully-discovered planet of your own for the big rewards.

I found myself sitting in a space station hangar for an hour just watching all the NPC ships come in. The variety is astounding. You can interact with each one and offer to buy their ship.

The game crashed once while I was in hyperdrive. Reading Reddit, it looks like a lot of people are plagued with crashes. Here's to hoping the fix the online server problems and crashes.
View Quote

First impressions?
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 7:07:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Would love to hear first impressions.

I got raped hard by the failure that was Battleborn, no more will I randomly pre-order games.

LOL they pushed it back to the 12th now.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#20]
played for 30 minutes before work today, just enough to get part of my ship fixed and get the basics down.  

So what does everyone's starting planet look like?    Mine is really lush, big forests and hills, haven't named it yet
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only for PC.  It's out for PS4.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Would love to hear first impressions.

I got raped hard by the failure that was Battleborn, no more will I randomly pre-order games.

View Quote

I grabbed it on PS4 because the wife wanted to play too. If I had fun I was going to get it on Steam too... which I will be doing. I'm at work so it'll be brief.

The variety is pretty crazy. I only had time to heit about 4 different systems last night and about 9 planets. Some of the fauna looked similar, maybe just a couple things, but plants are hard to make look unique every single time IMHO. For the most part even the plant life was wildly different between planet. I'm sure it'll get old eventually but there seems to be a ton of combinations for plant and animal life visually speaking before you even get into temperament, predatory characteristics, size, etc.

Terrain destruction is cool, I got caught in a storm on a tropical looking planet and the temp dropped really fast. Grenade blasted my way a tunnel into a cavern system which acted as shelter.

I had the preorder ship, but the process to get it fixed was the same, don't want to spoil that toooo much. You can offer to buy any ship (not freighters, cruisers, etc for now) you see at a space station (so everything more or less the similar class as what you have). Then you get into crashed ships on planets as well if you don't want to pay for a new ship and don't mind doing some work to repair it.

The multitool/exo/ship upgrade glitches from the leaked gameplay is fixed. For the most part everything will be an upgrade from waht you have, but not always.

On ps4 there is pop in on the more lush planets. Beyond that the game is pretty smooth. The only thing that really messed me up was the FOV, but there will be a slider on the PC version so I think that will be the version to get.

The ground combat isn't bad, isn't great, but not terrible. It's pretty straight forward, gun upgrades keep it interesting but it isn't really a core gameplay mechanic. I'd say gun play in NMS is like carrying an airweight .357 for a CCW. It works for self defense, but it isn't something most get excited for shooting for fun. Some may disagree but I found nothing wrong with the gunplay, it isn't anything revolutionary in the slightest though. Although to be fair I haven't touched my PS4 controller in about 4 months and I've been playing a lot of PC shooters so I may be really rusty. Come to think of it though there doesn't appear to be auto aim in game which makes the shooting a little clunkier. Controls in general on foot need a little tweaking (devs need to tweak acceleration I think, there isn't much right now, not bad, not good though).

Space flight controls are simple but seem much more polished than foot controls. Space combat is very simple but it isn't bad at all IMHO. It's interesting enough to be engaging, but it is VERY simple so be warned. Don't go in looking for star citizen or elite here for combat.

The alien language stuff is cool, a little rudimentary but it is actually a lot of fun. A lot of stuff actually is pretty simple but that's good IMHO. This is a game you play if you want to chill out and explore.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Heck, I just ordered it on steam.  It looks like the kind of game I would like.  The fact that i can play at my own pace and not have to keep leveled with other players appeals to me.  I will have limited time to play. My daughter goes to kindergarten next month which should give me a couple of hours a day free to explore.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Heck, I just ordered it on steam.  It looks like the kind of game I would like.  The fact that i can play at my own pace and not have to keep leveled with other players appeals to me.  I will have limited time to play. My daughter goes to kindergarten next month which should give me a couple of hours a day free to explore.
View Quote

Just um, be careful, 2 hours goes by pretty fast. Fired the game up at 9pm. I had to be at work at 6am, although I was going to bang in anyways for my quarterly mental health day (it counts right?). Played until 4am, sat on the bed to check some emails before calling my supervisor for sick leave and that was it, passed out. Woke up at 7am to the sound of coworkers banging on the door because I missed 7 calls from work and they had to send someone to grab me. Moral of the story, set alarms, timers, whatever BEFORE you sit down and play, it can be a  huge time sink. It's one of those "just one more thing and then I'm done" kind of games, reminds me of skyrim in that regard.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Just um, be careful, 2 hours goes by pretty fast. Fired the game up at 9pm. I had to be at work at 6am, although I was going to bang in anyways for my quarterly mental health day (it counts right?). Played until 4am, sat on the bed to check some emails before calling my supervisor for sick leave and that was it, passed out. Woke up at 7am to the sound of coworkers banging on the door because I missed 7 calls from work and they had to send someone to grab me. Moral of the story, set alarms, timers, whatever BEFORE you sit down and play, it can be a  huge time sink. It's one of those "just one more thing and then I'm done" kind of games, reminds me of skyrim in that regard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I know I will have to do a good job of self monitoring my play time.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a clock on my desk for just that reason.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Multiplayer officially debunked. Check out one of the top Reddit posts right now...

There are two guys standing on the same planet and they can't see each other at all.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
played for 30 minutes before work today, just enough to get part of my ship fixed and get the basics down.  

So what does everyone's starting planet look like?    Mine is really lush, big forests and hills, haven't named it yet
View Quote

It seems like everyone started out on a beautiful, lush planets except me. I started on a hot, rocky planet with weird alien foliage, and no water or big trees. I had to walk forever to get my resources.

I didn't get off my starting planet for at least 2 hours, but when I finally did it was really worth it. I appreciate that they had to make me work for it. I love how you point at a waypoint and the HUD states how long it will take to get there at your current velocity. 3 hours (real time) to the nearest planet at "Impulse" speed? I guess I better engage the pulse engines.

I regret not renaming my starting planet before I uploaded the discovery.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Multiplayer officially debunked. Check out one of the top Reddit posts right now...

There are two guys standing on the same planet and they can't see each other at all.
View Quote

TBH, I don't think they were on the same planet.  The screenshots showed 2 different drastic temp change.  If they were on the same planet at the same time in the same place, the temp would be constant.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Played for bout a half hour.  Don't know if it's possible to meet others out there and co op, but I hope so.  Otherwise it's just a big online single player game.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

TBH, I don't think they were on the same planet.  The screenshots showed 2 different drastic temp change.  If they were on the same planet at the same time in the same place, the temp would be constant.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/rzaja7jy0b8j0e0cjatp.PNG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A better test would be going to the space station, there is only one
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the problem is that one of them was online and the other couldn't connect to the server (devs tweeted that they're getting crushed).  They're going to try again tonight at nine forty five.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#33]
On the no man's sky Facebook page some guy said a couple guys killed him when he was in space and destroyed his ship and took everything he had. So running into rabdoms May not be fun.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
On the no man's sky Facebook page some guy said a couple guys killed him when he was in space and destroyed his ship and took everything he had. So running into rabdoms May not be fun.
View Quote

I somewhat doubt that.

If anything, he ran into NPCs, he tried to kill them, and got roflstomped lol.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Two crashes so far for me, first time was when i warped to the next system, second time was entering a planets atmosphere.  Other than that runs smooth.

Now if i could find a storage upgrade for the multitool

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow...

That sucks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#37]
So far so good?  Still on the fence on picking this up.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So far so good?  Still on the fence on picking this up.
View Quote

Been watching all the live streams and I'm enjoying it.  Have my preorder in on steam.

Twitch Link
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:04:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Had the PS4 and a copy in my hands and decided to wait another week or two.  Got other shit I can spend 400 bucks on.   I wish it was on xbone.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#40]
If you're someone who has to chase every shiny in view this game is gonna be hell and take years to get to the center... Spent 4 hours in game (which didn't feel like 4 hours) and I haven't even left the first planet yet. Got everything I needed to leave but kept getting new way points, then while travelling to said way point discover something else that gives you another way point repeat ad infinitum...

Inventory management is already a bitch too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 12:24:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If you're someone who has to chase every shiny in view this game is gonna be hell and take years to get to the center... Spent 4 hours in game (which didn't feel like 4 hours) and I haven't even left the first planet yet. Got everything I needed to leave but kept getting new way points, then while travelling to said way point discover something else that gives you another way point repeat ad infinitum...

View Quote

I'm planning on checking every exploration box in my starting system
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 12:59:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See you when you report back to the thread with your discoveries in 5 years.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 1:02:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

(Something) Prime for the first planet I land on. (Something) Prime (letter) for its moons.  (Something)(number) for the other planets and (Something) (number) (letter) for their moons.

(Something) System

ETA

My plan is to map all the planets and moons in a system.  I'll probably spend an hour or two on the more interesting planets in the system before hopping to the next one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Something) System

ETA

I think I'm going to name the stars after Navy battleships or SSBNs, planets after cruisers or SSNs, and moons after destroyers. That should get me a little ways.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 1:08:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to name the stars after Navy battleships or SSBNs, planets after cruisers or SSNs, and moons after destroyers. That should get me a little ways.
View Quote

My ideas so far are:

Real constellations
Women's Names
Firearms Companies
Corporate Names as an homage to Fight Club (Starbucks Galaxy, Ford Nebula, etc)

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 1:40:31 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
It seems like everyone started out on a beautiful, lush planets except me. I started on a hot, rocky planet with weird alien foliage, and no water or big trees. I had to walk forever to get my resources.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, my planet is a balmy -56c.

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 1:56:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Finally bought my first ship after passing up a lot of crashed ships that I didn't like. I got it for about 450k and it has 19 slots plus a lot of upgraded weaponry and shields. First thing I did was fly out in search of pirates... I found them and start shooting... Uhhh.... My auto-aim doesn't work anymore... WTF? It's almost impossible to hit the ships without auto-aim or the lead-indicator.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 3:46:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Sean Murray just woke up and started tweeting about what happened overnight

Twitter Feed

Sean Murray
?@NoMansSky

For instance over night we hit 10 million species discovered in NMS... that's more than has been discovered on earth.
WHAT IS GOING ON!!!
View Quote

In regards to the two players not being able to see each other... the servers are basically on fire right now

Sean Murray
?@NoMansSky

We hope to see those happening... but too many of you are playing right now. More than we could have predicted

Sean Murray
?@NoMansSky

It is a testament to how amazing our network coders are that Discoveries are still working at all.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 7:26:00 AM EDT
[#48]
some pics from playing yesterday.   I'm 5 or 6 star systems in, pretty much have the hang of things.   Found a planet with an item that you can collect for serious money, the sentinels go ape shit when you grab them, but after a few dine and dashes I was able to collect enough to pay for the $800,000 ship I wanted.

anyways heres pics

My starting planet

randome shots

my new best friend

ship shopping

loving this game so far.   I like the barren planets/moons
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#49]
ARFCOM is a bad influence.  Preordered PC version today.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top