Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2016 8:30:47 AM EDT
I'm looking for long term war or civilization building game that I can play off-line.

I get my internet off a phone line so I can't do mega-down loads nor live stream. Heck, you tube videos that are just a few minutes takes almost a hour to download.

So the game would need to be on a disc for me to install.

Do they even do that anymore?

I would be more interested in history based games, but I'm open to space games too.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot me a p.m., I may be able to hook you up.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 3:02:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Total War Series.

Favorites are Shogun 2 and Rome 2.  More of an RTS than a civ builder.  You conquer cities, build them up to suit your needs for diplomacy or military.

They just came out with a Warhammer 40k version of it too.  Total War Warhammer I think it's called.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:16:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Rise of nations
Galactic Civilization
Age of empires II HD
Warcraft III

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2260532

Transfer steam games from one computer to another if you can download elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Transfer steam games from one computer to another if you can download elsewhere.
View Quote

Can I ask how this is done?

I have XCOM on my laptop but would love to have it on my PC.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Total War Series.

Favorites are Shogun 2 and Rome 2.  More of an RTS than a civ builder.  You conquer cities, build them up to suit your needs for diplomacy or military.

They just came out with a Warhammer 40k version of it too.  Total War Warhammer I think it's called.
View Quote

Rome 2 with Mods is a great game.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I still have the original Civ series on my laptop
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Civ 6 is coming October.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been a while since I've done this, but a while back my hard drive was starting to fail so I literally copy and pasted my steam install folder (the entirety of it) to the new hard drive and it worked just fine.  I think it had to revalidate everything after I logged in on the new hard drive but there were no glitches or difficulties with doing this.  It is possible that Steam has changed since then however but I'm not certain.

ETA: Also, the Total War series is excellent.  If you like that style of game then as mentioned Rome 2 with or even without mods is excellent.  

Additionally if you like the Lord of the Rings there's the obscenely good Third Age mod on twcenter.net.

Anyway, good luck!
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Total War Series.

Rome 2: Divide Et Impera is the best mod there is.

I actually had to think in that game.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to dabble in the area...

Age Of Empires Series

Command and Conquer Series

That's been a while!
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#11]
reboot of the Master of Orion by the developer of World of Tanks and World of Warships.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:04:18 AM EDT
[#12]
The original Empire Earth.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Banished....get it and say goodbye to your life
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I enjoyed conquering my enemies and blowing up entire solar systems in Space Empires 5 back in the day.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:19:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Distant Worlds was pretty cool.My all time favorite is Master of Orion.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

U can get a USB hard drive... That's easy and cheap. I used one for years to edit and route plan from home then take my stuff down tot he commercial boat etc
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

MoO 1 and 2 are classics.  3 sucked hard.

A new Master of Orion is in open development.  Early access is available on Steam.  I haven't played in several months...it was still pretty rough.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The original Empire Earth.
View Quote

This. I am such a huge fan of the EE series. I was amazing and II was okay, never got to play III. If there was a way to play this still multiplayer I would reinstall (I think it can be done with the use of Hamachi).

Also, you can get the Command and Conquer series on disk for cheap. There is a set that has like 15 games on it, one disk.  (Command and Conquer: The First Decade)

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:17:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Crusader Kings 2
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm a fan of Empire: Total War. I have a long running 'Road to Independence' campaign going. I own almost all of North and South America (I left one Indian Nation alone since they've been good trade partners and never fucked with me), Spain and the surrounding countries and all of the North African coast (taking out the pirates opens up huge trading opportunities with the Indian subcontinent without the routes getting raided). Invading Florida (it's a required territory to own) sparks a huge response from Spain so first thing I did was build 2 big armies and take Spain, then Gibraltar, it caused their colonies to break off so I could gobble them up one at a time without worrying about a huge Spanish response (they sent almost all of their troops to retake Spain and I just hunkered down and let them wear themselves out attacking Madrid while sending 2 armies down to south America for their gold and gems). I'm thinking about sending a few armies to take Russia to see if it does the same with their conquered territories. Britain was a challenge, I needed a strong country in Europe I could trust and trade with, and didn't want to wipe them out. I tried to buy or trade territories to get what I needed, but ended up taking London, then all of North America, then razed the London territory and traded it back for a peace treaty. They still hate me, but they'll trade with me. A few more gifts and they'll be like 'What invasion of London? Would you like some tea?'
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Hearts of iron
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:10:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

A new Master of Orion is in open development.  Early access is available on Steam.  I haven't played in several months...it was still pretty rough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Combat is real time though. MoO is a turn based game. Kinda sad that they turned their back on the core mechanic of the game.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Rome 2 with mods is fun.

Attila is also fun, and I'm waiting for the Seven Kingdoms mod to come out for it (no campaign, though. ), but I need to save some monies for a new graphics card.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#25]
if you have a steam account you might want to look at Rimworld. Pretty nice game and still being developed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top