User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

*Whoosh* Over your head again.  Lack of reading comprehension FTL...
If  you can't follow along please stop responding to my posts.
View Quote

Maybe you're trying to speak greek and failing?
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#3]
This guy on Twitch did some meter testing and it looks like the GPU is sharing it's VCore between the six pin and PCIe slot. They designed the cards power draw for a 8 pin spec then for whatever reason decided to split it up between the 6pin and PCIe it seems causing the overdraw from the slot.

https://www.twitch.tv/buildzoid/v/75850933

ETA: Start at 53:30

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#4]
AMD has released a fix for the power draw.

AMD's New Radeon RX 480 Driver Fixes Power Issues
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone seen how this will compare to the GTX1060 that is coming soon? Seems like it will be the direct competitor?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Has anyone seen how this will compare to the GTX1060 that is coming soon? Seems like it will be the direct competitor?
View Quote

Depends on what rumors you believe.

If you believe it is GP106 based or a drastically cut-down GP104...
If you believe it will really perform faster than a GTX980...
If you believe that Nvidia is having supply issues with GP104...
If you believe this is a knee-jerk reaction to RX480 and is nothing more than a PR stunt with no real plans of volume availability...

One thing is certain though... if you are interested in DX12 and/or Vulkan, AMD has a pretty significant advantage there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:22:34 AM EDT
[#7]
This is awesome for everybody. I'm a loyal Nvidia customer, but love that people cab get their hands on a capable graphics card for a reasonable price. Sure there are diminishing returns when buying a high end Nvidia card, but that's why there's the XX60 series. It'll be similar in price and performance to the AMD. I don't feel threatened in the least by competition for Nvidia. Competition is good.

Of course I've got a shiny new GTX 1080.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

This is awesome for everybody. I'm a loyal Nvidia customer, but love that people cab get their hands on a capable graphics card for a reasonable price. Sure there are diminishing returns when buying a high end Nvidia card, but that's why there's the XX60 series. It'll be similar in price and performance to the AMD. I don't feel threatened in the least by competition for Nvidia. Competition is good.

Of course I've got a shiny new GTX 1080.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I agree, it really helped open up the market for people like me that needed a nice upgrade without breaking the bank for a top of the line card. I think I'll go with the GTX1060 because I've always used Nvidia and the early problems with the Radeon scared me away a bit, but props to them for targeting us filthy casuals.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:18:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Well I've got a 1060 founders edition that should arrive tomorrow. Too bad I'll be out of town and can't use it till Sunday

I'm coming from a shitty R9 270oc so it'll be a huge upgrade either way
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Out of stock currently, but this is what I'll be buying.

Sapphire RX 480 Nitro 8GB $280
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top