Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2016 6:50:33 PM EDT
I just found out about this game and it sounds like the perfect sandbox space simulation.  18 Quintillion planets to explore.  Released for PC/PS4 June 21st Delayed until August 9th

Anyone else going to play it?

Steam Link
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I want to, but when I heard they scrubbed the Multiplayer from the launch it kinda made me want to wait.

I was expecting to be able to play co-op with friends exploring.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I want to, but when I heard they scrubbed the Multiplayer from the launch it kinda made me want to wait.

View Quote

Multiplayer is still in, it's an online persistent world.  They just said the odds of you actually running into anyone during gameplay are very very remote due to the scale.  You can play with others, if you can find them.

ETA

There is no matchmaking however.  Everyone starts on a random planet, in a random galaxy, at the edge of the universe.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Multiplayer is still in, it's an online persistent world.  They just said the odds of you actually running into anyone during gameplay are very very remote due to the scale.  You can play with others, if you can find them.

ETA

There is no matchmaking however.  Everyone starts on a random planet, in a random galaxy, at the edge of the universe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

In otherwords, it can't be done lol.

The odds of you playing with your friend is near zero.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

My girlfriend and I are going to play it.  The current plan is to work our way towards the center and find a common planet in a ring around that.  How we find each other on an object the size of a planet with no map will be a bit tricky though
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

I feel like people are going to have a really hard time with this. I'm hoping they don't break and listen to the community TOO much (like every other dev ruins their own games). I really think this is one of the few games where matchmaking would kind of ruin the whole thing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I feel like people are going to have a really hard time with this. I'm hoping they don't break and listen to the community TOO much (like every other dev ruins their own games). I really think this is one of the few games where matchmaking would kind of ruin the whole thing.
View Quote

I would like to see the ability to drop some sort of beacon with a limited range that could broadcast a message until it ran out of energy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I will wait for reviews on this one.  The fact that if say 18million people are online that means that each person has what a trillion planets all to themselves?  what the fuck?

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I will wait for reviews on this one.  The fact that if say 18million people are online that means that each person has what a trillion planets all to themselves?  what the fuck?

View Quote

From the comments:

"If 10 million players discovered 10 planets a day for an entire year, they would have collectively discovered 36.5 billion planets.  And if they each lived a 100 years while discovering 10 planets a day, they would still have discovered significantly less than 1%."

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Less than a month from release and I haven't seen very much in the way of game play videos. It is a little worrying especially considering what they are claiming. Details about content, game play, and features also seems very sparse.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Less than a month from release and I haven't seen very much in the way of game play videos. It is a little worrying especially considering what they are claiming. Details about content, game play, and features also seems very sparse.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:10:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah...gonna hold off on this one.  This gets out there a bit too much into uncharted water.  I'll give it a few weeks into release, at least, to see what the consensus is.  Could be apologetically boring or apologetically epic.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:18:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah...gonna hold off on this one.  This gets out there a bit too much into uncharted water.  I'll give it a few weeks into release, at least, to see what the consensus is.  Could be apologetically boring or apologetically epic.
View Quote

Not a bad idea, but unless you preorder you start out with a life pod.  I'd like to start planet hopping right away.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:58:38 AM EDT
[#13]
That is some decent looking game play!
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:16:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That is some decent looking game play!
View Quote

Here's a little more I've found.

ETA

First half is the same part of the planet as the previous demo, second half is new footage where the guy just starts shooting everying .
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:49:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I am going to play.

However this is a game that screams for VR like the Rift or HTC Vive.

Not sure the up coming PS4 VR setup would do it justice.   I really dont want to build a PC right now.

Probably buy the PS4 and play on my 130 inch screen out in the garage with 7.2 surround sound and waste tons of time when I could be working overtime or playing grab ass with the girlfriend instead.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:51:43 AM EDT
[#16]
/derp
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:54:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Found another.  I know they're not showing or saying much because exploration is the core of the game, but god damn does that make it difficult to find gameplay footage

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:07:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I just wish they made it so that you can easily group with friends to explore.  Thats the only thing I wish they would do soon.  The original concept that was in, they scrapped it (for now, put of for way later) because of some BS about they want it to be more immersive.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:09:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just wish they made it so that you can easily group with friends to explore.  Thats the only thing I wish they would do soon.  The original concept that was in, they scrapped it (for now, put of for way later) because of some BS about they want it to be more immersive.
View Quote

From what I've gathered so far, it looks like your steam/playstation network (respectively) friends will show up as a waypoint for you.  They are keeping the distance for random spawns though, so even though you can see them it may take a very very long time to meet up.

ETA

Also the ships, weapons, gear, etc are generated in the same manner as the planets.  So there will be more to find then can ever possibly be found.  There's everything from melee to sniper rifles with countless variations so what you find is really unique to your inventory unless you share it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:20:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

From what I've gathered so far, it looks like your steam/playstation network (respectively) friends will show up as a waypoint for you.  They are keeping the distance for random spawns though, so even though you can see them it may take a very very long time to meet up.

ETA

Also the ships, weapons, gear, etc are generated in the same manner as the planets.  So there will be more to find then can ever possibly be found.  There's everything from melee to sniper rifles with countless variations so what you find is really unique to your inventory unless you share it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

Which is pretty pointless if you never encounter single other player
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:25:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Trade is done through NPCs who will be working for their faction and carrying out their daily routine.  Either through space stations or outposts on planets if you can find one (and it's occupied).
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:29:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Trade is done through NPCs who will be working for their faction and carrying out their daily routine.  Either through space stations or outposts on planets if you can find one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trade is done through NPCs who will be working for their faction and carrying out their daily routine.  Either through space stations or outposts on planets if you can find one.

Not what I meant.

Having all the unique weapons, the badassery type shit that is just OP that you found.  What good will it really do if you cant use it against other players?  

Still, I look forward to the game.  I simply wish I could team up with a friend and go have fun.  I don't like playing games solo. I like multiplayer, especially in exploration sandbox games.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:32:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not what I meant.

Having all the unique weapons, the badassery type shit that is just OP that you found.  What good will it really do if you cant use it against other players?  

Still, I look forward to the game.  I simply wish I could team up with a friend and go have fun.  I don't like playing games solo. I like multiplayer, especially in exploration sandbox games.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not what I meant.

Idk man, this game to me is pretty appealing because I can come home after a 16 hour shift, pop a beer, and just zone out and explore without worrying about some troll stealing all your shit. What you're describing is star citizen, I built a PC just because of that. I do think it would be cool to have an arena mode or something similar to scratch that pvp itch.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not what I meant.

View Quote

I think this is one area where the devs are going to have to give in eventually and it's going to be interesting to see how it plays out.  I understand the scale of the game, but with the millions of pre orders I think you're going to see natural trade hubs/routes arise close to the core of the galaxy (apparently everyone starts in the same galaxy, but at random places around its edge).  While finding these with the ingame tools would be difficult, within the first month of the game the coordinates of resource rich central planets will be widely known.  Obviously these would be just a few out of countless planets, but they would be the ones people know about and will naturally seek them out.  I think the developers have gotten so engrossed by the scale of the game that they forget players are not limited by the tools the developers provided

ETA

I've been watching discussions between EvE players about this game and there is going to be a huge race to see who can build the "New Jita" in the starting galaxy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

ETA

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

They were commenting on how one person might not make a big impact on a planet...

But what about 10 people?

If we could get enough of us together we could all find planet 87 and try to terraform it into a giant cock&balls.    Do enough damage to a planet and it will upload/save to the server.

Planet cock&balls, not named that due to profanity filters, but coming in from orbit you could maybe see the depression created by 10-20 guys working for a week or two to make a giant cavern in the planet's surface.

On that note...    gaping hole....

Planet gape or planet goatse....

I cannot wait.

It sounds like the point of the game is to try to find the center of the universe.

It seems as you get closer, if the central point/goal is the same across all game play experiences, you will be more likely to find other players the closer to the center you get.

From there teaming up may be possible then going to find various planets to screw with.    Hopefully saving close by will be your spawn point for new return game play after logging off.

Could jump back in and head to planet cock&balls.    

I wonder what the moderating and terms of use will be, or the tracking for that matter, when people wind up spelling words in the surface of planets?

Could you speed the process up by shooting the surface of the planet with the space ship at close range straffing runs?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They were commenting on how one person might not make a big impact on a planet...

If we could get enough of us together we could all find planet 87 and try to terraform it into a giant cock&balls.    Do enough damage to a planet and it will upload/save to the server.

Planet cock&balls, not named that due to profanity filters, but coming in from orbit you could maybe see the depression created by 10-20 guys working for a week or two to make a giant cavern in the planet's surface.

I cannot wait.
View Quote

What we're really trying to build is a set of waypoints.  Once someone finds a central planet that isn't just empty they'll claim it and start posting the coordinates online for others to find.  So now we have a waypoint in space, but planets are well... big so we need a waypoint on the ground that can be seen from space.  Large changes to a planet are visible to everyone... so what about giant pyramid carved along a natural axis of the planet?  Now we have an easily recognizable waypoint on the ground and the players will do the rest.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What we're really trying to build is a set of waypoints.  Once someone finds a central planet that isn't just empty they'll claim it and start posting the coordinates online for others to find.  So now we have a waypoint in space, but planets are well... big so we need a waypoint on the ground that can be seen from space.  Large changes to a planet are visible to everyone... so what about giant pyramid carved along a natural axis of the planet?  Now we have an easily recognizable waypoint on the ground and the players will do the rest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cannot wait.

Good points all around.   Pure speculation for me as I havent seen enough of the videos yet to get a good feel for it.

If getting a waypoint for a planet I would suspect it would be easier to goto the nearest mega space base as a point in space to meet up at.    Not sure if the multiplayer experience is saved for the planets alone or if pilots of space craft can coordinate in space.  Hoping people can group up in space to take on convoys or take on sentinels.

Flying down to the planet in formation on a giant planet could simply save time.

I dont have a PS4 but do they have a party chat system that is seperate of the actual game similar to Xbox?

If a person is on the ground they might visually be able to guide in a craft as it enters orbit depending on draw distances and how the world  shows in coming space craft along with a good description of planet geography/orientation.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Good points all around.   Pure speculation for me as I havent seen enough of the videos yet to get a good feel for it.

If getting a waypoint for a planet I would suspect it would be easier to goto the nearest mega space base as a point in space to meet up at.    Not sure if the multiplayer experience is saved for the planets alone or if pilots of space craft can coordinate in space.  Hoping people can group up in space to take on convoys or take on sentinels.

Flying down to the planet in formation on a giant planet could simply save time.

I dont have a PS4 but do they have a party chat system that is seperate of the actual game similar to Xbox?

If a person is on the ground they might visually be able to guide in a craft as it enters orbit depending on draw distances and how the world  shows in coming space craft along with a good description of planet geography/orientation.
View Quote

Well the problem with meetups outside a small radius of the core, even with out of game tools, is the sheer scale of the game.  Within "just" a 10 light year radius of the galactic core there will most likely be more planets than anyone could ever hope to explore.  Travel costs fuel/time and the inner core planets are much harsher than the outer rim planets (per the devs) which means you'll already need to have an impressive ship/suit/weapon/and inventory just to get there.  Also keep in mind the devs have stated that even if you make a direct charge to the core from your starter planet, while doing nothing else, it's still well over 100 hours of real life gameplay.

ETA
I'll be playing on Steam, so I'm not sure what features the ps network will have for chat.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#29]
One of the videos I saw suggested a rush to the core might be 40ish hours.

But thanks for the insight to other mechanics.   It certainly could take weeks/months to meet up and find eachother.

It would be a fun challenge.    Also should note any planets that would become open season for us to mess with.   Like green peace planet clearly needs massive strip mining to be done and needs to be destroyed as much as possible.

I forsee 4chan doing epic things.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
One of the videos I saw suggested a rush to the core might be 40ish hours.

But thanks for the insight to other mechanics.   It certainly could take weeks/months to meet up and find eachother.

It would be a fun challenge.    Also should note any planets that would become open season for us to mess with.   Like green peace planet clearly needs massive strip mining to be done and needs to be destroyed as much as possible.
View Quote

Yeah I saw the 40 hour thing, but in another video he mentions the fuel costs (it's very expensive apparently) and that will slow your progress down.  Maybe that's something they changed?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#31]
They also mentioned they're going for a 70s/80s grand sci fi feel for the game in the same interview he mentioned black holes.  Which makes me wonder wtf they're going to be used for in that context.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I want to say I watched a stream of the dev at one point say that even if someone else manages to reach a planet you're on, you won't see them.

I can't remember which stream it was, it was a game company, pre-E3.

IDK, we'll see.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I want to say I watched a stream of the dev at one point say that even if someone else manages to reach a planet you're on, you won't see them.

IDK, we'll see.
View Quote

The info is in the "10 things you need to know" video.  The game functions as a set of lobbies.  If two people are playing together their lobbies merge.  Although there is apparently a player limit, which the devs won't give, and after that no you wouldn't see them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The info is in the "10 things you need to know" video.  The game functions as a set of lobbies.  If two people are playing together their lobbies merge.  Although there is apparently a player limit, which the devs won't give, and after that no you wouldn't see them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IDK, we'll see.

So if I mine resources on a planet or use explosive to deform the terrain(into giant dicks) when another player visits that planet everything gets reset back to its original state or what?

How do the lobbies work?  If I am on a planet and another player is on the same planet, if, by chance, he happens to be in the same 'lobby' as me I will see him or are lobbies something you have to physically join with your friends?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So if I mine resources on a planet or use explosive to deform the terrain(into giant dicks) when another player visits that planet everything gets reset back to its original state or what?

How do the lobbies work?  If I am on a planet and another player is on the same planet, if, by chance, he happens to be in the same 'lobby' as me I will see him or are lobbies something you have to physically join with your friends?
View Quote

Lobbies are all done server side, not something you ever need to worry about.  You will both be able to see each other and your changes (even if you leave and come back), but once you leave other players won't see those changes unless it crosses some threshold.  The only specific thing that was mentioned is destroying a space station.  You can never bring the number of stations in a system down to zero, but if you manage to destroy one in a multi station system it's gone for everybody .  The threshold on planets is something we're supposed to discover for ourselves.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Hmm...starting to lean towards giving this game a shot.  What about ships?  Do they vary greatly in size and ability?  Can you upgrade them beyond just stat upgrades?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hmm...starting to lean towards giving this game a shot.  What about ships?  Do they vary greatly in size and ability?  Can you upgrade them beyond just stat upgrades?
View Quote

At launch all player ships will be single seat ships.  They fall into four classes: Fighter/Explorer/Scientific/Trader.  Each will have its own benefits and look for its type, but they can be outfitted and used anyway you choose.  The only named benefit so far is that the explorer class ships will generally have more powerful engines and cloaking devices.  From the videos I think there are 12 or so upgrade sections on each ship, I imagine it varies ship to ship but nothing's been released.  Your ship/suit/and multi tool-weapon are the RPG elements in the game.  If you die in space you will restart with the base model of your current ship and lose all cargo and upgrades.  The upgrades for your suit and multi tool are never lost.

ETA

Also found part 2 of the 21 min game video I posted earlier.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Cool concept, but the scale turns me off.

I played Elite Dangerous for a quite a while and only ever saw one real person...That, and 18 bazillion repeating planets/systems, doesn't sound that much fun.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Always trust a journalist to break an NDA

The skype connection for the interview sucks, but lots of new info.  Like being able to customize the power output of your ship for different systems depending on your particular needs.

ETA

You can to strafing runs from space with your ship
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#40]
This game is piquing my interest.  I would need to see about getting a second PS4 to put downstairs.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Notice the different categories for life you've discovered.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:31:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Game Delayed till August 9th
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:35:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Game Delayed till August 9th
View Quote

Yup, cancelled my preorder of the limited edition. People keep comparing it to when UC4 or TW3 were delayed. Those games were part of established IPs by proven devs, this game being delayed this many times as part of a fresh IP and unknown dev isn't confidence inspiring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top