Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#1]
OK, the platform jumping shit on level 4 (or is it 5... argent tower, whichever that is) is pure grade A bullshit.

I want to shoot demons in the face then stomp on said face, not try to double jump hop around from moving ledge to moving ledge like a flying wolenda. I HATE platforming elements in FPS games. Consider my vertigo triggered.

I also laughed out loud at:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK, the platform jumping shit on level 4 (or is it 5... argent tower, whichever that is) is pure grade A bullshit.

I want to shoot demons in the face then stomp on said face, not try to double jump hop around from moving ledge to moving ledge like a flying wolenda. I HATE platforming elements in FPS games. Consider my vertigo triggered.

I also laughed out loud at:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

You will be thankful for double jump when you meet the barons of hell.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't hate the double jump, I hate the section of this level when you have to precision jump from moving ledge to moving ledge up the inside of the tower. The other areas in the game that are catwalks or ledge filled rooms are fun... this argent tower thing is just annoying.

This is Doom, not super mario.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This is Doom, not super mario Destiny.
View Quote

FIFY  
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I am liking the SP so far.  Its Brutal Doom mod added to Doom 3 as a whole campaign.

Haters are gonna hate on it anyway.  I don't care for the MP anyway and have Battlefield for that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't hate the double jump, I hate the section of this level when you have to precision jump from moving ledge to moving ledge up the inside of the tower. The other areas in the game that are catwalks or ledge filled rooms are fun... this argent tower thing is just annoying.

This is Doom, not super mario.
View Quote

Jumping in Doom 4 is almost exactly like jumping in Halo 5, with the ledge grab.  Pretty easy compared to say...Turok.  LOL
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Found someone who ripped & tore all the music files.  Scroll down to the lengthy ones for the actual music, the rest are just chords and chimes.

https://soundcloud.com/retard4

Good job retard4!

To get these on your PC just open sound recorder and make sure your input device is "What U Hear".

Just hit play on the file, and record on the sound recorder and viola!
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#8]
This feels like an honest to God ID Software game.  

I haven't bought an FPS in years, but this is fucking fun!
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I already had a close call with my game this afternoon.

I fired it up to play a round only to be met with a warning message saying I was in "developer mode" and that online was locked out and any saves used would be seen as "cheating" and locked out from winning achievements. I of course did not play and shut down to go look for a fix. I found a lot of threads online of people having this same problem, but no one seemed to have any fixes. So I tried validating the files on steam a few times then fired it back up and bloop the warning went away.

Not sure what caused it, not sure if the file validation fixed it.

I do know that my Steam account isn't updating to show my achievements or even that I own the game. When I click on the "my achievements" tab on the DOOM game page on steam it sends me to my user page, with no sign of the DOOM achievements... but when I check global achievements, sure enough my achievements show up on the right hand side. Not sure if that is steam being borked or DOOM. Either way its been a weird road.

And a question for everyone else: what do you find more difficult, the game itself or the rune challenges? I personally find the game itself to be a walk in the park. Sure they've killed me a few times, but those few times have been when I knew I was pushing too far too hard and was going to get kacked. But the rune challenges are somewhat annoying... mostly because it takes me a few tries to figure out the very narrow path the challenge is looking for me to take then attempting to take that path. The "run for the altar" one was particularly obnoxious and took me like twenty tries before I finally got the path right and beat it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a solid rental.  Not worth $60.  Outdated corridor shooting with two generic boss battles.  The hardest part of the game is the jumping puzzles.

Much better than the last reboot they did.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:23:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:56:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Just tested it and the elite controller works. The game detects it as an Xbox One controller and has what I can only assume are the Xbox One controls premapped with corresponding screen prompts.

I don't see where you can change the functions of the elite P buttons in game and they seem to default to duplicate face buttons (meaning P2, P3 and P4 perform the Y, X and A button functions). Like most console to PC ports, the native gamepad support lets you pick from like five different preset configurations with no real ability to alter them.

Edit: I didn't do much other than test that the controller worked and that the buttons and P buttons worked. I absolutely loathe controllers on FPS games... I have my elite on PC for driving games only it seems. And Witcher 3. For some reason I'm absolute shit trying to sword fight in Witcher with KB&M but on controller I can bust heads.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can anyone confirm whether or not the Xbox Elite controller works with Doom PC?

I have an elite controller, let me test it and I'll get back with the results.

Just tested it and the elite controller works. The game detects it as an Xbox One controller and has what I can only assume are the Xbox One controls premapped with corresponding screen prompts.

I don't see where you can change the functions of the elite P buttons in game and they seem to default to duplicate face buttons (meaning P2, P3 and P4 perform the Y, X and A button functions). Like most console to PC ports, the native gamepad support lets you pick from like five different preset configurations with no real ability to alter them.

Edit: I didn't do much other than test that the controller worked and that the buttons and P buttons worked. I absolutely loathe controllers on FPS games... I have my elite on PC for driving games only it seems. And Witcher 3. For some reason I'm absolute shit trying to sword fight in Witcher with KB&M but on controller I can bust heads.

Good to hear it works.  The button mapping is done via the Xbox accessories app.  The stick sensitivity can be adjusted (some) also. I'm hoping that will yield better accuracy as well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is a solid rental.  Not worth $60.  Outdated corridor shooting with two generic boss battles.  The hardest part of the game is the jumping puzzles.

View Quote

The MP is garbage, the SP is really only worth about 40 bucks.  But the level design was good, aside from some of the bullshit platforming.  One thing that pisses me off is when you go into a room and POOF you can't go back at all to do secrets or obtain anything you missed.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is not a corridor shooter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not a corridor shooter.

Ummmmm, yeah, it is.  The levels are completely linear.  Start at point A and go to point B.  

Single player has zero replay value, and the multiplayer would have been amazing 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:39:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:42:24 AM EDT
[#16]
It has areas that look wide open, but you're still confined to a small set path to go from point A to point B.  There isn't anything to explore, and the "secret" areas are easy enough for Stevie Wonder to find.

This game is mediocre at best and is riding on nostalgia.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It has areas that look wide open, but you're still confined to a small set path to go from point A to point B.  There isn't anything to explore, and the "secret" areas are easy enough for Stevie Wonder to find.

View Quote

So you're saying that levels have beginnings and ends?
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I think the game's level design is very reminiscent of the original Doom 1 and 2.

There is a starting point and an ending point (at which you press a button to finish the level). Between those two points is a maze that has several dead ends, several locked doors than can only be passed with button presses or finding color coded keys, and lastly secrets... some of which are preschool easy to find and others are more difficult.

Then populating those levels are a cadre of boogens roaming around, boogens that beam down from the hellterprise and boogens who jump out at you from hidey holes. And like the first game you can get the boogens to shoot each other, you can blow them up with explosive barrels or you can just run and gun them to death.

By modern standards the game's design is very old school. The only really "modern" thing about it are the graphics and the occasional scripted story bits (even though those are kept to a minimum).

I like the game. I like that they kept it simple and "classic". It is not a game that you play to solve puzzles and see a detailed story, its a game you play to shoot demons in the dick. If you are having too easy a time doing that, crank the difficulty up another notch.

I think once I finish my first playthrough I'll probably replay it again on a harder difficulty. Then I'll try my hand at the snap map thing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think the game's level design is very reminiscent of the original Doom 1 and 2.

There is a starting point and an ending point (at which you press a button to finish the level). Between those two points is a maze that has several dead ends, several locked doors than can only be passed with button presses or finding color coded keys, and lastly secrets... some of which are preschool easy to find and others are more difficult.

Then populating those levels are a cadre of boogens roaming around, boogens that beam down from the hellterprise and boogens who jump out at you from hidey holes. And like the first game you can get the boogens to shoot each other, you can blow them up with explosive barrels or you can just run and gun them to death.

By modern standards the game's design is very old school. The only really "modern" thing about it are the graphics and the occasional scripted story bits (even though those are kept to a minimum).

I like the game. I like that they kept it simple and "classic". It is not a game that you play to solve puzzles and see a detailed story, its a game you play to shoot demons in the dick. If you are having too easy a time doing that, crank the difficulty up another notch.

I think once I finish my first playthrough I'll probably replay it again on a harder difficulty. Then I'll try my hand at the snap map thing.
View Quote

I agree, im actually enjoying the multiplayer too, I don't take it seriously.
its good to get drunk and just fuck around for a few hours and watch people get exploded into little meat pieces
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:13:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Gonna wait for my next paycheck to drop before I pick up the game.

Hopefully by then, we'll get a Steam sale.

Oh, and for your viewing pleasure: (Warning, NSFW)

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He doesn't know what "corridor shooter" means.

If my GPU wasn't absolutely fucked and needing a replacement I'd be playing this all the time. First game in a long time that I have a consistent urge to pick up and play.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I love the music in the game gets the adrenaline going great aspect to this game.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I love the music in the game gets the adrenaline going great aspect to this game.
View Quote

Indeed

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#25]
The online multiplayer is slowly getting better as I learn how to survive a tad longer as well.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 2:59:54 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm having a hard time justifying a $60 purchase that doesn't include DLC (Only $40 extra!).  Maybe when there's a Steam sale.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 7:16:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm having a hard time justifying a $60 purchase that doesn't include DL (Only $40 extra!).  Maybe when there's a Steam sale.
View Quote

DL?
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 7:39:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

DL?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm having a hard time justifying a $60 purchase that doesn't include DL (Only $40 extra!).  Maybe when there's a Steam sale.

DL?

Typo.  DLC is what I meant.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I think snapmap is going to be a long lived portion of this game.

http://kotaku.com/how-a-guy-nearly-broke-dooms-snapmap-to-make-a-moba-1780165993
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://kotaku.com/how-a-guy-nearly-broke-dooms-snapmap-to-make-a-moba-1780165993
View Quote

I didn't even know what it was until reading that article. Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Being essentially a GUI object-based editor, it's limited compared to the more code base level WAD file tools of the original game, but it's also more accessible.  I believe id will have to find a way to open it up some to allow for a little more outrageous WAD-style customizing, or else it might not have the lifespan of the originals.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Being essentially a GUI object-based editor, it's limited compared to the more code base level WAD file tools of the original game, but it's also more accessible.  I believe id will have to find a way to open it up some to allow for a little more outrageous WAD-style customizing, or else it might not have the lifespan of the originals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, asking generation ME to have the attention span the original DOOM fan base has had, is like asking for unicorns to save you in the game.

The limiting factor is cross platform, and preventing people from making dildos.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

LOL, asking generation ME to have the attention span the original DOOM fan base has had, is like asking for unicorns to save you in the game.

The limiting factor is cross platform, and preventing people from making dildos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snap map fail
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top