Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2016 9:04:13 PM EDT
Give me some suggestions.  Needs to be

1. High backed (I sometimes sleep or nap in it)

2. Reclining

3. Not cost more than my car payment

ETA - I spend upwards of 10-14 hours at my desk (I work from home), so it does need to be comfy.  The past few years I've been getting a $100 or so chair from Staples and while they have worked perfectly fine, I've usually worn them out (fake/real leather coming off, padding nonexistent or something broken) in 1-2 years.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#1]
look into the executive chairs at Staples or OfficeMax.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:06:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I went by last night and tried every chair in Staples.  Twice.  There were a few that were comfortable, but one of my wife's chief complaints is that the seat cushion is basically gone - very few in the store felt significantly different except for the tempurpedic chairs.  I would buy one, but the chair backs are shit.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:35:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not do some manly reupholstering? I fixed the seat on my faux leather chair. Buy some memory foam and some multicam fabric.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I went by last night and tried every chair in Staples.  Twice.  There were a few that were comfortable, but one of my wife's chief complaints is that the seat cushion is basically gone - very few in the store felt significantly different except for the tempurpedic chairs.  I would buy one, but the chair backs are shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I hear ya. My old chair was nice for 10 years. Went to look recently and its hard to find good quality comfortable chairs

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty much sold on the aeron chair from Herman Miller. They are damn expensive new but keep an eye on Craigslist for used. A lot of times you'll find ones where an office is closing and aren't that old and half the cost (or less) than new.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm pretty much sold on the aeron chair from Herman Miller. They are damn expensive new but keep an eye on Craigslist for used. A lot of times you'll find ones where an office is closing and aren't that old and half the cost (or less) than new.
View Quote

Don't really do CL, and I have to sit in it before I buy it.  If they had HM somewhere in a store close by I could try, I'd give them a whirl.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#7]
D_J, kinda off-topic, but I basically click on your threads just to see your avatar.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
D_J, kinda off-topic, but I basically click on your threads just to see your avatar.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one of these at work:

Wanted to get one for home for gaming/work from home since I can sit in that once comfortably at work for 9 hours plus, then I saw the price... So I tried a few of the more pricey options at office depot/office max, and with those even though they were fairly comfortable in the store after a few hours or so they would give this what I can only describe as butt fatigue heh. Even getting up once per hour for 5 - 10 minutes didn't help, the longer I sat in them the more fatigued and achy around the tailbone I would get. I saw this chair on amazon and figured I would give it a shot since it had almost as many adjustments as the bodybilt, and I could just ship it back if I didn't like it:

I love this chair. $150 (looks like the price went up since I bought mine and it's sitting at $200 now) and I prefer it to the Herman Miller Aerons at work. Read some of the amazon reviews for more details on the adjustments, but even at $200 I think it is worth it. Put it this way, how many hours a day do you spend in bed and how much did you spend on that? If I was full time work from home like you I would seriously consider spending the money on the bodybilt for my office chair, but that's only because I was able to use one at work for so long (it is still as comfy as the day I got it 8 years ago with minimal wear). This chair seems just as sturdy, is definitely as heavy, and has almost the same adjustments as my work chair that cost 7 times as much. Pretty sure it's covered by Amazons return policy too, so if you end up hating it just box it up and ship it back.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a Herman Miller Aeron about 8 years ago after buying a ton of shitty 250-300 chairs.. best $900 I spent, and you can get them way cheaper now.
Buy once. Cry once.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Herman Miller. You can find them used on Craigslist for $400. Best chairs I have ever owned. I have one at the office and one at the home office. They last forever and stay comfortable for any amount of time you sit in them.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag for interest. I've had a couple chairs over the years but never really found one I liked.

Frankly - was halfway thinking about building a computer station around a la-z-boy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#13]
DJ, I see you're in GA. Close to Atlanta?

Edit:

Here's one with the new lumbar support design. I've had both lumbar styles and I prefer the adjustability of the model linked below. Still $400!  You won't regret this purchase.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
DJ, I see you're in GA. Close to Atlanta?

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/fuo/5429251546.html

Edit:

Here's one with the new lumbar support design. I've had both lumbar styles and I prefer the adjustability of the model linked below. Still $400!  You won't regret this purchase.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/fuo/5377283846.html

View Quote

That's actually my city in the Atlanta suburbs. I may give him a ring tomorrow.

Thanks - awesome find.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Herman Miller. You can find them used on Craigslist for $400. Best chairs I have ever owned. I have one at the office and one at the home office. They last forever and stay comfortable for any amount of time you sit in them.  

http://johnlewis.scene7.com/is/image/JohnLewis/230627151alt1?$prod_main$

View Quote

Bunches of them on ebay too.  Fantastic throne, only way it could be better is if it was made of skulls and had a built in toilet
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Cost some cash but a great chair going on 8 years...

http://www.humanscale.com/products/product.cfm?group=FreedomTaskChairWithHeadrest

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just bought a 3rd one for our office. (second used) This one has the blue mesh, found it used on CL from Weyerhaeuser surplus for $250. They originally had 4 but only had this one left. I have sat my ass in a LOT of chairs in the last 10 years (probably purchased close to 1.5 mil in furniture) and this one is my favorite.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just bought a 3rd one for our office. (second used) This one has the blue mesh, found it used on CL from Weyerhaeuser surplus for $250. They originally had 4 but only had this one left. I have sat my ass in a LOT of chairs in the last 10 years (probably purchased close to 1.5 mil in furniture) and this one is my favorite.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The two CL ads further up show three different back rests. I don't know what the differences are, and the page on HM's site for the Aeron is less than helpful.

Does the Aeron seat tilt with the backrest? Or independently? That's a deal killer if it does not tilt together - I can't stand chairs where only the back leans, leaving you feeling like you might slide off the seat.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:04:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The two CL ads further up show three different back rests. I don't know what the differences are, and the page on HM's site for the Aeron is less than helpful.

Does the Aeron seat tilt with the backrest? Or independently? That's a deal killer if it does not tilt together - I can't stand chairs where only the back leans, leaving you feeling like you might slide off the seat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They 3 that we have are together. The seat and the back. Like a lazy boy minus the foot rest.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:45:03 AM EDT
[#20]
You want the back rest I linked a pic to earlier. It has a "Y" design. The seat and back tilt together. Trust me and just buy it.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#21]
So, did you buy one?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So, did you buy one?
View Quote

We exchanged emails.  He's out of town for a couple of weeks, so I'm waiting for him to email me that he's back and I'll go give them a test drive.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:37:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Just bought an aeron for 300 bucks off cragslist. I recommend getting a size C if you're a mid to large size fella.  This chair is so good I wouldn't even think about going with one of those 150 dollar chairs. Thanks for starting the discussion.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just bought an aeron for 300 bucks off cragslist. I recommend getting a size C if you're a mid to large size fella.  This chair is so good I wouldn't even think about going with one of those 150 dollar chairs. Thanks for starting the discussion.
View Quote

Hmm... I think this guy only has size B chairs.  I'm 6'1" and 230 lbs.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW, the ones we have are size B. I am 6' and 200#. Not sure what your body type is but the B is good for me. Go try it out. If you don't fit or don't like like it, don't buy it. Not that we think you won't like it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Stock photo, but I've got this model from DX Racer. It's been really good to me over the last 18 months or so that I've had it. My only real complaint is that those plastic inserts tend to pop out if I'm not careful with my feet.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm also 6'1" and 230 lbs. The B is perfect. There is a sizing chart floating around. I'll try to find it.

Edit 2:

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:49:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Put me in the Aeron group. I've had mine for almost 2 years now. The Office Depot chairs tend to be worn out/broken in 2-2 1/2 years at $200 or better. If the Aeron lasts it's 12 year warranty, I'll be ahead a few hundred, and I can still(hopefully) rebuild the old chair.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Well.....????
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well.....????
View Quote

Sorry - he never emailed me back, and I forgot about it. I'll shoot him an email.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:46:54 AM EDT
[#31]
we have the herman miller chairs at work they are uncomfortable as hell and you cant lean back in them whatsoever lol.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
we have the herman miller chairs at work they are uncomfortable as hell and you cant lean back in them whatsoever lol.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top