Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2016 11:06:09 AM EDT
I got the bug pretty bad, stopped buying gaming stuff a long time ago and gave most of my stuff away.  Then I found Bolt Action a couple of weeks ago, when I was a kid we were using the old Tractics rules for 1/72 scale WWII miniatures and this brought me back to the good old days.  

Hide your wallet

Far cheaper than 40K, you can find the stuff at a decent discount online.  Have 1000 points of German Heer in the assembly process, got the boxed set for under a hundred shipped and that includes two vehicles.  You can get the rule books in Hardcover, PDF or Kindle format too, ($10 a book via Kindle vs $20+ for hard copy) There are a ton of other sources for figures and models in 28MM (1/48 - 1/56 scale are acceptable too) too so you are not tied to a single source for your addiction. (No GW tax) Have paints on the way and will post pics after I get a squad or two painted up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 8:13:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Actually saw those this weekend in a local shop.  Looked cool but I'm over paint it yourself minis.  I was looking at X-Wing and Armada.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Actually saw those this weekend in a local shop.  Looked cool but I'm over paint it yourself minis.  I was looking at X-Wing and Armada.
View Quote

The assortment of minis is excellent, the rules cover even minor axis allies and things like home-guard, Gurkhas, Chindits, etc.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:08:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn you... Went and watched x-wing videos on YouTube.  Have over $100 worth of shit coming from amazon.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Damn you... Went and watched x-wing videos on YouTube. Have over $100 worth of shit coming from amazon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually saw those this weekend in a local shop. Looked cool but I'm over paint it yourself minis. I was looking at X-Wing and Armada.

Damn you... Went and watched x-wing videos on YouTube. Have over $100 worth of shit coming from amazon.

Should have done more research or asked.  Cool Stuff Inc beats Amazon's prices by about 20% and free shipping on orders over $100.  I priced a complete set of Armada at around $120 less through them than Amazon, plus they had everything in stock where Amazon is back ordered on some things.  X-Wing looks like it would be around that same dollar amount but with X-Wing you kind of need multiples of some things so I haven't looked hard at it yet.  I'm selling off some older games I've got and don't play anymore, once I have the cash from that to get into something new I'll look at it more.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the heads up on cool stuff, I'll check them out.  Have a core set coming but everything else I got is out of stock for a few days, I figured my bro and I could get the core set figured out while we wait for the other stuff to arrive.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up on cool stuff, I'll check them out.  Have a core set coming but everything else I got is out of stock for a few days, I figured my bro and I could get the core set figured out while we wait for the other stuff to arrive.
View Quote

They're actually only about 50 cents different on the core sets, the individual minis though you end up getting 4 from Cool Stuff for the price of 3 on Amazon.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:41:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They're actually only about 50 cents different on the core sets, the individual minis though you end up getting 4 from Cool Stuff for the price of 3 on Amazon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I bought the original core set, the force awakens core set, millennium falcon and the boba fett expansion.  

think that should be enough to get started. Will probably only play this with my brother, we had wanted to start playing 40k but neither of us wanted to spend the money and paint the shit. This seems like an easy somewhat cheap way to play this type of game.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm watching a demo game on YouTube right now. Looks badass, I love how it looks like a diorama. I do know I wouldn't have the patience for that style of game or learning it's complexities.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LGS has 50% off all games and minis a couple of times a year. I cleaned up on Xwing stuff last time. It in the to be played pile still.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm watching a demo game on YouTube right now. Looks badass, I love how it looks like a diorama. I do know I wouldn't have the patience for that style of game or learning it's complexities.
View Quote

Its not that tough really, the game was designed by ex-employees from Games Workshop who set out to make a cheaper and easier to play game.  The army lists go into detail for just about every country, theater and time frame for the entire war.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Miniature games are kind of cool, but cost way too much.  I thought Axis & Allies mini's were freakishly awesome, but its too hard to get people to play.  Even Board games are hard to get people to play.  Its why Card games are more popular as they are cheaper and easier to carry around.  They also tend to have simpler rules.  Everything else gaming related is Video game now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top