Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2015 7:04:45 PM EDT
Ran into a rut  and need a new game / games to keep me busy. I thought there would be better games out with how long the PS4 has been out.

I currently have a PS4  and a great gaming computer. Looking for a good FPS ( single player, as I have no interest in multi player ) or RPG ( not a hack and slash labeled as a RPG ) for either one. Have looked online and not really finding anything I'd be interested in. Hoping ARFcom can come to the rescue again. Bonus points for a game with zombies.

Games I currently have for PC:
Doom 3
Diablo 3
Borderlands 1, 2, and Pre-sequel
WoW
FF XIV: ARR

PS4:

Destiny ( came with the PS4 ) have only played it for about 15 hours and not fond of it.
Uncharted collection ( came with the PS4 and beat them on the PS3 )
Tales of Zestiria

No CoD type games, as their single player normally sucks and their selling point is multi player.
No Fall out 4. I wasted money on 3 and not making the same mistake again.

And go.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#1]
So when you say RPG, do you prefer western or eastern? Either way, I've got you covered. I'll make a list of both in just a minute.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So when you say RPG, do you prefer western or eastern? Either way, I've got you covered. I'll make a list of both in just a minute.
View Quote

Prefer JRPG, but a good WRPG will work.

Just not fond of games that get labeled as RPG, when it's a hack and slash. Examples are Demon's Souls, Dragon's Age, newer Final Fantasy games, etc...
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ran into a rut  and need a new game / games to keep me busy. I thought there would be better games out with how long the PS4 has been out.

Tales of Zestiria
 -Awesome game, play it to completion.

No CoD type games, as their single player normally sucks and their selling point is multi player.
No Fall out 4. I wasted money on 3 and not making the same mistake again.

And go.

View Quote

Tales of Zestiria, love it, hope you do too.  Playing to completion ftw.

Your comment about Fallout 4.  I don't see how you wasted money on 3, 3 was a pretty damn good game.  Vegas was good, but I thought 3 was better.  Fallout 4 was amazing.  I really enjoyed it.  I have completed my first playthrough, going to start my 2nd soon.

Cheap zombie game:

How to Survive: http://store.steampowered.com/app/250400/  It's a top-down type game.  Fun, mindless pretty much.

If you liked Zombie game Left 4 Dead....and you like Warhammer...I give you!

Warhammer End Times:  Vermintide! http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/235540/

Plays pretty much exactly like L4D.  It's basically L4D with Warhammer themed over it so to speak.  It's fun, but not my type of game.  Play it with a friend every now and then.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291650/

Great old school RPG.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/373420/

It's co-op but I never play it like that, so single player for me.

That's about all I can offer right now.

My games currently are Albion Online, Rainbow Six Siege, and that's basically it.  

Not going to find very many good single player games right now.

No interest in multiplayer at all?

ETA:  Just re-read your OP, no interest, took multiplayer only games out.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Tales of Zestiria, love it, hope you do too.  Playing to completion ftw.

Played it for about 20 hours and lost interest. Xillia was good for 1 play through. Vesperia is a really great game, but it's on Xbox.

Your comment about Fallout 4.  I don't see how you wasted money on 3, 3 was a pretty damn good game.  Vegas was good, but I thought 3 was better.  Fallout 4 was amazing.  I really enjoyed it.  I have completed my first playthrough, going to start my 2nd soon.

Everyone has likes and dislikes. 3 just sucked for me.

Cheap zombie game:
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/250400/header.jpg?t=1445939898

How to Survive: http://store.steampowered.com/app/250400/  It's a top-down type game.  Fun, mindless pretty much.

If you liked Zombie game Left 4 Dead....and you like Warhammer...I give you!

Played and beat Left 4 Dead. Was an okay game. Never got into warhammer.

http://im.ziffdavisinternational.com/t/ign_ru/boxart/w/warhammer-end-times-vermintide/warhammer-end-times-vermintide_xjfk.210.jpg

Warhammer End Times:  Vermintide! http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/235540/

Plays pretty much exactly like L4D.  It's basically L4D with Warhammer themed over it so to speak.  It's fun, but not my type of game.  Play it with a friend every now and then.

http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Pillars-of-Eterniyu-1.png
http://store.steampowered.com/app/291650/

Great old school RPG.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/divinity2/images/8/8d/DOS_EE.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20151013034228
http://store.steampowered.com/app/373420/

It's co-op but I never play it like that, so single player for me.

That's about all I can offer right now.

My games currently are Albion Online, Rainbow Six Siege, and that's basically it.  

Not going to find very many good single player games right now.

No interest in multiplayer at all?

ETA:  Just re-read your OP, no interest, took multiplayer only games out.
View Quote

Thanks for the list will look through them. I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]

I think it fits all criteria and is a bad ass game.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Alright, here we go. All of these are on Steam.

Western RPG:

Icewind Dale 1 and 2

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2

Fallout 1 and 2 (completely different from the new games)

Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2 (2 is in my top 10 best games of all time, you don't need to play the 1st to play the 2nd)

Lords of Xulima

Might and Magic X - Legacy

Drakensang: The River of Time (very hard game, a bit obtuse but amazing)

Wizardry 6, 7, and 8 (8 is the most modern of the bunch, solid game)

Shadowrun Returns (along with the other games in the revitalized series)

Neverwinter Nights 2

Blackguards 1 and 2 (the 2nd game is just ok and the first one is decent)

Wasteland 2

Divinity: Original Sin

Starcrawlers (dungeon delver, still in beta but decent)

Exanima (very early in development, however, it is extremely unique and, while at its core is an action game, it's not an ARPG)
JRPG:

Agarest: Generations of War (multiple games in this series, loooooong fucking game)

Ys series

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (long game, unique spell system, sequel is out)

The Last Remnant

Valkyria Chronicles (in my top 10 best games of all time)
And here's a list of games that I think are fantastic that may have a spot in your library.
Zombie Army Trilogy

Door Kickers

Sanctum 1 and 2

Orcs Must Die! 2 (the second is just a more complete game)

X-COM (could be seen as a western RPG)

Civilization 5

FTL: Faster Than Light

Crusader Kings 2 (read the steam reviews... just awesome)

The Banner Saga (not everyones cup of tea)

Trackmania (the newer the better with these, although all are great)

Tabletop Simulator (someone always has something fun going on)

L4D 1 and 2

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Mirror's Edge

Dungeon of the Endless (one of the best games ever made, nobody knows about it)

Metro 2033 (but only the enhanced edition)

Call of Juarez Gunslinger

Company of Heroes 1 and 2 (the single campaigns are actually great)
If you want opinions on any of these, let me know.

ETA: Warhammer Vermintide is Left 4 Dead but with rats, equipment, and just more fleshed out except it has no competitive multiplayer (yet). I left it out of the list because you didn't want multiplayer.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Vesperia was awesome.  All of the tales games are awesome lol.

We, as gamers, are going through a rather long slump in games to play.  We get maybe 1 excellent RPG every couple years if we're lucky it seems.  I love RPGs, there just hasn't been many true RPGs that are worth playing in recent years.

Same goes for shooters.  It's either CoD or a CoD clone.  I don't play shooters for single player, only multiplayer.  There's a few out/coming out that are excellent but have to wait on final release.

2016 has some great games coming out, hope they don't flop!  2015 was Zestiria, Rainbow Six Siege, Fallout 4 for me.

We need a golden age of awesome RPGs.....with so many to choose from not enough time to play all!  

Quoted:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/46/Video_Game_Cover_-_The_Last_of_Us.jpg  

View Quote

Yes!!

ETA:  If we're talking old school games, I can list a ton of them RPG wise.  I was thinking releases in the past 5 years or so.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#8]
If you like single player FPS style games with zombies there is always the Dead Island series, or its more polished cousin Dying Light.

Check out the Stalker games if you want to fall down the Russian Shooty RPG hole.

And I always recommend the Rocksteady Arkham games if you like beating the ever-living shit out of people as Batman and doing metroidvania style platforming and puzzles.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:12:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

We, as gamers, are going through a rather long slump in games to play.  We get maybe 1 excellent RPG every couple years if we're lucky it seems.  I love RPGs, there just hasn't been many true RPGs that are worth playing in recent years.

Same goes for shooters.  It's either CoD or a CoD clone.  I don't play shooters for single player, only multiplayer.  There's a few out/coming out that are excellent but have to wait on final release.

2016 has some great games coming out, hope they don't flop!  2015 was Zestiria, Rainbow Six Siege, Fallout 4 for me.

We need a golden age of awesome RPGs.....with so many to choose from not enough time to play all!  

Yes!!

ETA:  If we're talking old school games, I can list a ton of them RPG wise.  I was thinking releases in the past 5 years or so.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/46/Video_Game_Cover_-_The_Last_of_Us.jpg  

Yes!!

I absolutely agree with you on all those points. I'm hoping Dragon Quest XI comes to NA. I love that series. I still have VIII on PS2.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you like single player FPS style games with zombies there is always the Dead Island series, or its more polished cousin Dying Light.

Check out the Stalker games if you want to fall down the Russian Shooty RPG hole.

And I always recommend the Rocksteady Arkham games if you like beating the ever-living shit out of people as Batman and doing metroidvania style platforming and puzzles.
View Quote

Dying light is amazing and fun as hell.  It just gets a bit repetitive and boring towards the end of the game, at least for me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Will check out Dying Light. Wasn't a fan of Dead Island with having to make almost anything and it decayed after some uses.

Edit: Seems like a good game, but more of a hack and slash and not a shooter from the videos I watched.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Will check out Dying Light. Wasn't a fan of Dead Island with having to make almost anything and it decayed after some uses.
View Quote

Dying Light is more or less Dead Island plus Parkour. Same "build crazy weapons out of shit you find" mechanics, same "loot everything to build shit" mechanic, same "special zombies" more or less, just now you can jump around like a spider monkey.

So if you don't like Dead Island then you may not like Dying Light, but consider Dying Light to be the furthest evolution of the Dead Island game style... fixing things that were wrong and adding new things.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dying light is amazing and fun as hell.  It just gets a bit repetitive and boring towards the end of the game, at least for me.
View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#14]
All three Mass Effects
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Dying Light is more or less Dead Island plus Parkour. Same "build crazy weapons out of shit you find" mechanics, same "loot everything to build shit" mechanic, same "special zombies" more or less, just now you can jump around like a spider monkey.

So if you don't like Dead Island then you may not like Dying Light, but consider Dying Light to be the furthest evolution of the Dead Island game style... fixing things that were wrong and adding new things.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You posted before I added my edit. Seems more like a hack and slash and not a shooter.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You posted before I added my edit. Seems more like a hack and slash and not a shooter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah it's not really a shooter, just a fun mindless Zombie kill game.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#17]
If shooting is the make it or break it point, then I fall back on STALKER.

The three games are all more or less the same game with minor tweaks, so get the latest one Call of Pripyat.

STALKER is a good mix of exploration, shooting people and boogens, resource management and crazy Russians.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:56:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If shooting is the make it or break it point, then I fall back on STALKER.

The three games are all more or less the same game with minor tweaks, so get the latest one Call of Pripyat.

STALKER is a good mix of exploration, shooting people and boogens, resource management and crazy Russians.
View Quote

STALKER is fun.  It's a nice game, good story.  The actual gun-play sucks.  The accuracy on the weapons is horrid.

The games do have a story, best to have all 3.  Then download the "complete" mod that just makes it so much better.

clear sky, shadow of chernobyl, call of pripyat in that order.  

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

There is a "complete" mod for each of the games.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:32:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Dying Light is about the most repetitious game I have ever played aside from Destiny...  

If you could not enjoy the immersion that the Fallout series offers, I would expect you to scoff at Dying Light

Maybe the Battlefield Series (Except Hardline) is what you are looking for

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:34:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Every video game is repetitious... it is just a question of when you notice it.

The best games to me are the ones that engross you so you don't see the cage... and those games are few and far between these days for me.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Every video game is repetitious... it is just a question of when you notice it.

The best games to me are the ones that engross you so you don't see the cage... and those games are few and far between these days for me.
View Quote

Exactly!

I have 111 hours played on Borderlands and 684 hours on Borderlands 2. Probably the most time I've ever sunk into a game.  Some games are really good at hiding the cage. Others are not. For the most part a good amount of games fall into the latter. It's why I'm very picky when it comes to them.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#22]
If you are a big Borderlands fan then you might want to try Telltale's "Tales from the Borderlands" game. I imagine it will hit a deep Steam sale this holiday season as it is complete now with all chapters released.

It is quite a departure from the style of game you say you like (being more of a story driven point and click adventure game) but it is Borderlands to the core. After playing all the shooty Borderlands games, Tales is my favorite out of the entire "world".

Another one I thought of last night was Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It is a shooter with RPG elements and since the director's cut version they fixed most of the quirks it had. I liked it, it had a good story and it gave you tons of options on how to spec out your guy and accomplish the various missions. And with the new one showing up next year I imagine Steam will slash it at the holiday sale again.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#23]
This is the answer you seek:

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/kNZP21te888

https://youtu.be/KmgR4JiYmPY

View Quote

Not a FPS and not a RPG. More of a hack and slash like Demon's Souls.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's like saying an Aston Martin DB9 is the same as a Honda Civic because they both have wheels; the Witcher series is not at all like Demon's Souls.  As someone who has been playing RPGs since Wizardry, I can tell you that they are the best and truest RPGs to have come out in the last decade.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Witcher series is a great RPG.  It is an RPG in the very essence.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's like saying an Aston Martin DB9 is the same as a Honda Civic because they both have wheels; the Witcher series is not at all like Demon's Souls.  As someone who has been playing RPGs since Wizardry, I can tell you that they are the best and truest RPGs to have come out in the last decade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have been playing RPGs for about 30 years now. See, I can do that as well.  The Witcher is not an RPG. I've played the first one and I'm familiar with the series. I've also played Demon's Souls. Both are listed as RPG games and neither one is.  If you read my other posts here you would have known that.
Quoted:

Just not fond of games that get labeled as RPG, when it's a hack and slash. Examples are Demon's Souls, Dragon's Age, newer Final Fantasy games, etc...

Please keep the thread on topics as well. I'm not trying to bring general chat into this thread.

Go to 1:15 in the video. Hack and slash....

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Final Fantasy (for the most part ), Dragon Warrior/ Quest, Lunar, and Xenosaga. Those are RPGs. If I want to play an action game, I'd play The Witcher.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I am definitely NOT a fan of olde tyme hackery slashery, but even I like the Witcher series. Witcher 2 is the first modern game that I've played that I actually felt like my actions changed the course of the story... and not in some shallow "Bioware good guy bad guy story is the same just with slightly different dialog" way. I played Witcher 2 through twice and the last third of the game was totally different.

I'm waiting for Witcher 3 to hit a steam sale... perhaps next month. Plus I'm knee deep in Fallout 4 now.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Final Fantasy (for the most part ), Dragon Warrior/ Quest, Lunar, and Xenosaga. Those are RPGs. If I want to play an action game, I'd play The Witcher.
View Quote

Oh so you like JRPGs. That makes sense now.

I myself prefer western RPGs.

If you like Jerpigs, and want a little more tactics in the pipe, try Valkyria Chronicles. Its an interesting kind of Jerpig but with a more actiony-tacticaly play style.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

RPG stands for Role Playing Game.  These games usually come in a flavor where you level up a character, get new gear, assign stats on level up, etc.  Regardless if it's First Person, Third person, or Turn based.

Dragon Warrior, Lunar, Xenosaga are all traditional turn based JRPGs.  What do they have?  A Level system, a loot, system, a story.  They were older, therefore 8/16bit graphic top down gameplay with encounters side by side 2D.  Xenosaga was 3D but it's still a traditional JRPG, which is a turn based RPG.

Make no mistake, The Witcher is by far not a hack and slash.  The term Hack n Slash means going through and mindlessly mashing the attack button to hack and slash your way through enemies.  You cannot do that, and live, in the Witcher series.  Most of the time you simply can't, enemies will counter you and stop you from attacking.  Most of the time they'll just kill you before you can hit them because of that.

TLDR;  RPG's come in many forms.  You have Turn based, and real time combat.  Turn based are mostly traditional JRPG type games: Final Fantasy, Lunar, Chrono Trigger, etc.  Real Time Combat based: The Witcher, the Zelda series while no leveling, Kingdom of Amalur, World of Warcraft, the Tales series, and more.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you like Jerpigs, and want a little more tactics in the pipe, try Valkyria Chronicles. Its an interesting kind of Jerpig but with a more actiony-tacticaly play style.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were called RPG long before the term JRPG came along. If you want to fine tune it, I prefer turn based RPGs to action based RPGs. Tales of Vesperia being an exception. That game was so damned fun to play. I also like SRPG, like Shining Force and Arc the Lad. Disgaea being an exception. I just can't get into the series.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They were called RPG long before the term JRPG came along. If you want to fine tune it, I prefer turn based RPGs to action based RPGs. Tales of Vesperia being an exception. That game was so damned fun to play. I also like SRPG, like Shining Force and Arc the Lad. Disgaea being an exception. I just can't get into the series.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel ya.  You like Turn based stuff.  My brother loves all turn based and the tactical rpgs like Disgaea.  The ones where you have a big scene of squares and you can only move your characters so many times each turn, get extra points for flanking and shit.  Not my cup of tea but some people love it.

I love old school turn based RPGs.  Wish more good MODERN games would come like that.  Bravely Default on the 3DS is a great example.  I loved the game, it was very repetitive at the end as you had to complete the entire game 7 times over to finally finish it, before that and after the game was magnificent.   Can't wait on the new one.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My brother loves all turn based and the tactical rpgs like Disgaea.  The ones where you have a big scene of squares and you can only move your characters so many times each turn, get extra points for flanking and shit.  Not my cup of tea but some people love it.
View Quote

Those kind of games are my wheelhouse. I still to this day play Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre or Front Mission 3 again every now and then to get my fix.

My big qualm about the Jerpigs is that they are waaaaaaay too Jerp for my tastes. I was an anime nut in the early 90s and after seeing enough of it to fill a barn my tolerance level for quirky Japanese-iness is at legendary lows. The last Jerp I played was Valkyria Chronicles, and while I loved the game and the style of play it had, the storyline had me rolling my eyes and going to the kitchen to get a drink while the cutscenes played. I don't know if it is a cultural thing or just how they write but that stuff just sets off my groan alarm like mad these days.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Rocket League is on sale in the PS Store today. Best $11.99 you'll ever spend.

I'm so addicted to that game.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

You mean the worst $11.99 I'll never spend? What part of RPG or FPS didn't you understand? Can you guess what some of my least favorite genres are?  Sports and racing.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You mean the worst $11.99 I'll never spend? What part of RPG or FPS didn't you understand? Can you guess what some of my least favorite genres are?  Sports and racing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you're not the only one reading this thread.

i'll bet you're a lot of fun to hang out with, by the way.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

you're not the only one reading this thread.

i'll bet you're a lot of fun to hang out with, by the way.
View Quote

But it's my thread and I'm trying to keep it on topic.  If you want to post game sales and such, make your own thread and keep your crude remarks to yourself.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:39:54 AM EDT
[#39]
asked to be closed by author.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top