Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I really hated this game initially, but damnit, I've been sucked in.

Tips for the handful of folk getting started late:

Max the Rifleman perk (I think that's what it's called) and keep it maxed out.

Shotguns are rifles for perk purposes.  Indoors, an Advanced Combat Shotgun is the Supreme Weapon.

Make yourself an awesome sniper rifle...then make an exact clone of it in .38.  With Rifleman and Sniper perks, it will still take out any human with 1 headshot, or 2 to the body.  And you'll never run low on ammo for it.

Need lots of nuclear material for all those sites and scopes?  Find a plasma-infused weapon and use that...most bodies killed with it will contain 1 to 2 nuclear material.  Also makes the bodies easy to find when they become glowing green pools.

Tracking scopes continue to work after you swap weapons, so use one to scout out a target area and mark targets, even if that isn't the weapon you plan on using.

Strip mods off existing armor or weapons by installing the standard mod.

If you find your inventory space is getting low...check your aid inventory.  I found out last night I was carrying about 150 lbs of Nuka Cola Quantum, I've slimmed down considerably.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 4:22:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Currently at Level 62.
Maxed out rifleman & pistol perks and killing everything with a fully modded combat rifle & a Kellog's pistol.
Even though I never wear them, I've collected over 40 suits of power armor (it's a weird addiction I guess).
Also just maxed out the pickpocket perk so I can start stealing BoS fusion cores/power armor
Been banging Piper for a while & am really close to getting in Cait's pants too!
This game is a blast lol!
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I hardly wear power armor either.  I have a couple of sets built for specific purpose, one all lead lined for running around the glowing sea, and another with maxed out energy resistance that I used in the CIT mission.

I've been lucky to get some really good legendary items.  Jut about every weapon I carry is legendary, with the best being an explosive assault rifle.  I know they look like crap, but maxed out with all mods it very effective.  The only problem is it sometimes blows them all over the map and I can't find the bodies to loot afterwards.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hardly wear power armor either.  I have a couple of sets built for specific purpose, one all lead lined for running around the glowing sea, and another with maxed out energy resistance that I used in the CIT mission.

I've been lucky to get some really good legendary items.  Jut about every weapon I carry is legendary, with the best being an explosive assault rifle.  I know they look like crap, but maxed out with all mods it very effective.  The only problem is it sometimes blows them all over the map and I can't find the bodies to loot afterwards.
View Quote

I just started futzing with power armor last night for the first time.  I've got 50 or so fusion cores, I could probably go for days in a suit, but I just don't see the need.  I love the lead-lined Glowing Sea suit idea...but I already cleared the area without a suit, not sure there will be a reason to go back.

I've gotten a lot of cool legendary stuff, too, most recently a 10mm Two-shot pistol...on top of improved damage, I think each projectile can proc the Gunslinger disarm.  Not sure yet, I may just be on a lucky streak with the procs.  I set myself back hours last night though, because I accidentally scrapped my plasma-infused sniper rifle, and that's just not acceptable...had to backtrack to the last point I had it.  

The legendary armor that slows time when your health drops below a certain %, though....that's the tits.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I always run around in power armor.  I use the targeting HUD which I absolutely love especially at night.  Or if I grab a suit without the targeting HUD I make sure my companion has a suit with the targeting HUD.

I like being able to carry more crap than normal and not having to resort to telling my companion to pick everything up all the time.

I just wish the /steal tag would go away on PA that you get the enemy to step out of.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I always run around in power armor.  I use the targeting HUD which I absolutely love especially at night.  Or if I grab a suit without the targeting HUD I make sure my companion has a suit with the targeting HUD.

I like being able to carry more crap than normal and not having to resort to telling my companion to pick everything up all the time.

I just wish the /steal tag would go away on PA that you get the enemy to step out of.
View Quote

If your on PC open the console, target the PA frame and type "setownership"

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Question for those of you who have been playing for awhile.  I understand that in order for a settler at one of your settlements to have a gun they also need some ammo for that firearm in order for them to be able to use it.  How much ammo do you need to give them?  If there is a raid do they use up all that ammo?  

I outfitted my guards with body armor, rifles, some ammo and molotov cocktails as well as a Stimpak each.  Hoping that will be enough to repel any raiders although I added several of those automated machine guns as well.  Is it worth arming all of the settlers with decent guns?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I just stack machine gun turrets high and deep, haven't had any issues with invasions.

If you happen to find a sequined dress, and you put it on a female settler, she'll immediately begin acting like a total bitch...and the dress disappears from her inventory, so you can't take it back, lol.  Just a public service announcement.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Thanks for your response and I can't get the fence nice and tight at one of my settlements and they came through and took out one of my light machine gun turrets and damaged some food.  Thankfully I was there when they attacked and with the help of my guards we killed all of them (super mutants).  I have added a heavy machine gun turret to backup the light one until I can figure out how to plug the hole in my wall.

It was nice to see my settlers using the molotov cocktails I gave them.  I need to work on giving them better weapons when I can.

For now I have one gate to get into the settlement but they seem to always leave it open.  I guess that is what I get for paying them minimum wage.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just stack machine gun turrets high and deep, haven't had any issues with invasions.

If you happen to find a sequined dress, and you put it on a female settler, she'll immediately begin acting like a total bitch...and the dress disappears from her inventory, so you can't take it back, lol.  Just a public service announcement.
View Quote

Have her put on something else and it will appear in her inventory again
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks for your response and I can't get the fence nice and tight at one of my settlements and they came through and took out one of my light machine gun turrets and damaged some food.  Thankfully I was there when they attacked and with the help of my guards we killed all of them (super mutants).  I have added a heavy machine gun turret to backup the light one until I can figure out how to plug the hole in my wall.

It was nice to see my settlers using the molotov cocktails I gave them.  I need to work on giving them better weapons when I can.

For now I have one gate to get into the settlement but they seem to always leave it open.  I guess that is what I get for paying them minimum wage.  
View Quote

If you open the console on PC with ~ then type TCL.  Then go to the spot you wish to block off in your fence and select the fence on one side, move it and hit tab to cancel the movement.  Do the same thing to the fence piece on the other side.  Both of those pieces should not be un-selectable.  Now pull up whatever fence piece you wish to use to plug the hole.  The TCL command and moving the previously placed items will let you clip them into each other.

If you build your whole fence while in TCL mode you'll be able to clip the entire thing so you have no gaps at all.  Just remember anything you placed prior to the TCL command will not be able to be clipped into until you select it, move it and then cancel the movement.

Just hit TCL again when you are done to restore normal clipping.  It's also a good command to know for places where you get stuck in the terrain.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Question for those of you who have been playing for awhile.  I understand that in order for a settler at one of your settlements to have a gun they also need some ammo for that firearm in order for them to be able to use it.  How much ammo do you need to give them?  If there is a raid do they use up all that ammo?  

I outfitted my guards with body armor, rifles, some ammo and molotov cocktails as well as a Stimpak each.  Hoping that will be enough to repel any raiders although I added several of those automated machine guns as well.  Is it worth arming all of the settlers with decent guns?
View Quote

I read somewhere that default weapons on settlers are unlimited in ammo.  If you change the weapon then they could run out of ammo for the weapon you give them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#13]

I checked and my players all still have molotov cocktails and I arrived back during a raid and they were throwing them at the enemy so maybe that only applies to companions and not settlers?  I will keep an eye on them as I have changed out just about all the weapons for more effective stuff in preparation to the next attempted raid.

As for the fence building I am playing on Xbox One and it is not quite as sophisticated as the PC version.  At least there is only one area they can sneak in that I know of and I have 2 machine gun turrets guarding the gap.  

Does anyone know if your settlers can be killed by raiders?  I gave each one a stimpak to use in case they get hurt during an assault.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I read somewhere that default weapons on settlers are unlimited in ammo.  If you change the weapon then they could run out of ammo for the weapon you give them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NPC's (non-follower) do not consume ammo, as long as they have at least 1 round in their inventory for the weapon you equip them with they will never run out of ammo
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow...talk about opening the floodgates. Not sure if it's a level thing or random chance, but all the sudden there's a legendary around every corner, and my bases are getting attacked by packs of Deathclaws.

Just got an Assassin's plasma gun last night...turned it into a maxed-out plasma sniper rifle...humans don't stand a chance anymore.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I checked and my players all still have molotov cocktails and I arrived back during a raid and they were throwing them at the enemy so maybe that only applies to companions and not settlers?  I will keep an eye on them as I have changed out just about all the weapons for more effective stuff in preparation to the next attempted raid.

As for the fence building I am playing on Xbox One and it is not quite as sophisticated as the PC version.  At least there is only one area they can sneak in that I know of and I have 2 machine gun turrets guarding the gap.  

Does anyone know if your settlers can be killed by raiders?  I gave each one a stimpak to use in case they get hurt during an assault.
View Quote

I'm playing on Xbox also.  If you have a gap between fence sections that someone can squeeze through just put a half wall in front of it, or a few single white picket fence posts.

I've gotten pretty good at walling off my settlements.  If you have the resources to spare it sometimes helps if you lay down the the small floor panels first, then snap the full sized wall sections to them.  Once the wall is up you can recycle the floors or store in workshop.  Only the full wall panels will snap to the floors though.

Yes, your settlers can be killed by raiders.  I've had a few killed.

Has anyone had Sanctuary Hills attacked?  I have never had one call or notification that it was under attack.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm playing on Xbox also.  If you have a gap between fence sections that someone can squeeze through just put a half wall in front of it, or a few single white picket fence posts.

I've gotten pretty good at walling off my settlements.  If you have the resources to spare it sometimes helps if you lay down the the small floor panels first, then snap the full sized wall sections to them.  Once the wall is up you can recycle the floors or store in workshop.  Only the full wall panels will snap to the floors though.

Has anyone had Sanctuary Hills attacked?  I have never had one call or notification that it was under attack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah...twice in about 10 minutes last night.  First was a couple of those bear things, then a pack of Deathclaws.  Before that, though, not so much, I think there was one raider attack and a super mutant raid a few days ago.

Spectacle Island has had my biggest raid yet, though.  Super mutants, 2 legendaries, and one with a minigun, and attacking from all directions.  It was exciting, I almost had to use a stimpak.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Wow just did a mission for the Cabbot house, how does that stupid spoiler button work?  I found something pretty neat.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

NPC's (non-follower) do not consume ammo, as long as they have at least 1 round in their inventory for the weapon you equip them with they will never run out of ammo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.  I equip at least one settler at each of my settlements with a minigun and one round of 5mm, and they can blast shit for days.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Good to hear.  I only have one mini-gun so far but for some reason I have 3 of those Fatman nuclear launchers and I think a settler with one of those would kick some butt.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Correct.  I equip at least one settler at each of my settlements with a minigun and one round of 5mm, and they can blast shit for days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow....did not know this.  I've been scrapping them all, I've had at least a dozen.  Rocket launchers, too.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I load my settlers up with automatic assault rifles and a few with sniper rifles of the .50cal flavor.  Then anyone I put on guard duty gets full armor so I can recognize the guards easily.  Feels a bit more professional when the guards are in a uniform as well.  But that's my OCD kicking in.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Wow....did not know this.  I've been scrapping them all, I've had at least a dozen.  Rocket launchers, too.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't want to arm settlers with rockets, trust me.

At least not in settlements you want to survive.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Story?  The reason I ask is I was thinking of outfitting one of the guards with the Fatman and then give the rest grenades.  They currently have Molotov cocktails and during the one attack I have had since then they were throwing plenty of them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#25]
"Deathclaws are assholes." - classic.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Story?  The reason I ask is I was thinking of outfitting one of the guards with the Fatman and then give the rest grenades.  They currently have Molotov cocktails and during the one attack I have had since then they were throwing plenty of them.
View Quote

Settlers and companions have a way of firing rockets, grenades etc with zero regard for collateral damage to you or themselves.  They will happily blast off a rocket or mini nuke at the super mutant wailing on them with melee weapons.  Might be fun to stand off and watch but only in a settlement that you don't like.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Thanks.  I have been slowly outfitting the settlers with better weapons as I can but I will keep the explosive stuff out of their hands.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:51:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Goingto buy a PS4 tomorrow and fallout 4. I can't wait!. I put an unreasonable amount of hours into FO3 and new Vegas
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't know WTF is going on but Curie keeps attacking me and trying to kill me.  I try and send her to a different settlement and bitch goes nuts.  Even when I am traveling with her she is trying to kill me...
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't know WTF is going on but Curie keeps attacking me and trying to kill me.  I try and send her to a different settlement and bitch goes nuts.  Even when I am traveling with her she is trying to kill me...
View Quote

She attacked me as well when I dismissed her.  After you put her down she moves along quietly to where ever you told her to go to.  Just be ready for her to pester you every time you return to that settlement.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Just started playing this week and trying to get a handle on the few changes they made to game play.  
Still slightly confused on weapon modding.  
Question:  In Fallout 3 and New Vegas, weapons deteriorated as you kept using them and you would use the same weapons to feed parts into them to keep them going.  Is that aspect completely gone and I can just use a weapon forever without having to keep it up?

Also still a little confused about leveling up, the perk system, and where reading magazines fits in.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just started playing this week and trying to get a handle on the few changes they made to game play.  
Question:  In Fallout 3 and New Vegas, weapons deteriorated as you kept using them and you would use the same weapons to feed parts into them to keep them going.  Is that aspect completely gone and I can just use a weapon forever without having to keep it up?

Also still a little confused about leveling up, the perk system, and where reading magazines fits in.
View Quote

Yes, weapons needing to be repaired has gone completely away.  In its place, power armor deteriorates and must be repaired.  

The perk system is a bit different.  You can add +1 to a SPECIAL attribute like intelligence with a perk, OR you can scroll down the perk menu and click on a perk below.  If your INT is 7, you can pick any 1 of the first 7 perks under INT, for example.  Ultimately, you can have 10s on all SPECIALs and also have every perk, since there is no level cap, but you're going to be playing a long time to get all that.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes, weapons needing to be repaired has gone completely away.  In its place, power armor deteriorates and must be repaired.  

The perk system is a bit different.  You can add +1 to a SPECIAL attribute like intelligence with a perk, OR you can scroll down the perk menu and click on a perk below.  If your INT is 7, you can pick any 1 of the first 7 perks under INT, for example.  Ultimately, you can have 10s on all SPECIALs and also have every perk, since there is no level cap, but you're going to be playing a long time to get all that.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, helpful info.  
I feel like a noob all over again getting used to this.  Really need to find a long range scoped rifle so I can scout at distance.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#34]
I was able to build a scoped pipe rifle at a pretty low level. Maybe Gun Nut rank 1? I can't remember for sure. I've been sucked back into Destiny lately and haven't touched Fallout.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Finished the story line last night.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:05:02 AM EDT
[#36]
They need to make it more obvious when some place is getting attacked rather than a little green bar opening up in the corner I went to one of my settlements that had like 2 people in it and all the food was destroyed. And how do I get more settlers, I have a radio beacon in the settlements I want them and they have been working but sanctuary just seems to have stalled at 13 people for last day or two ( real time ) my happiness is around 75% and climbing but nobody is showing up
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

They need to make it more obvious when some place is getting attacked rather than a little green bar opening up in the corner I went to one of my settlements that had like 2 people in it and all the food was destroyed. And how do I get more settlers, I have a radio beacon in the settlements I want them and they have been working but sanctuary just seems to have stalled at 13 people for last day or two ( real time ) my happiness is around 75% and climbing but nobody is showing up
View Quote
Sounds like you need to up your defense.  It will keep your shit from getting wrecked and more people show up (stay) if there's more defense.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sometimes it just takes a while.  It took me forever to finally get 20 settlers at sanctuary hills.  On the other hand I put a beacon up at the coastal cottage, did a mission, and came back and had 15 people there complaining about 6 beds.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Sometimes it just takes a while.  It took me forever to finally get 20 settlers at sanctuary hills.  On the other hand I put a beacon up at the coastal cottage, did a mission, and came back and had 15 people there complaining about 6 beds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys are way ahead of me.  I haven't spend any real time on settlements.  I just got to the part in the Main Quest where I have to infiltrate Fort Hagen and take out Kelllog or whatever his name is.
Hey how do you assign people to things when building settlements?  I built a scavenging station in Sanctuary Hills and its useless unless I assign someone to it.  I have no idea how to do that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#40]
pain train randomly stopped working WTF!!!!! on xbox one so I can't console fix it. fix your stupid coding bethesda.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#41]
When will the DLC drop?
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Jumping in here late in the game.  What is the most functional mod for building unlimited size settlements?  I am reading that some mods of issues, crashes etc.  (For PC)
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 11:42:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
When will the DLC drop?
View Quote

Hoping they have .300 BO as an option so I can have subsonic goodness.

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 12:14:53 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When will the DLC drop?

LOL

I saw a video earlier of a gun that shot deathclaw eggs and when the landed a deathclaw popped out and fucking murdered whoever you shot the egg at.

ProTip:  Don't shoot the egg too close to the ground near yourself.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#45]
I have not been on the game in weeks.  With the warm weather here I have had outdoor chores that have taken up all my time.  I am going to have to play this week and at least finish the main story line.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have not been on the game in weeks.  With the warm weather here I have had outdoor chores that have taken up all my time.  I am going to have to play this week and at least finish the main story line.
View Quote

I haven't played in over a month, but I started XCOM 2. I'll pickup Fallout 4 again when survival mode or wasteland workshop comes out. I might even wait for the Far Harbor DLC, but probably not.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#47]
I loved fall out 3, but never got to play fallout 4, hope its everything its cracked up to be.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 1:20:33 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I loved fall out 3, but never got to play fallout 4, hope its everything its cracked up to be.
View Quote

It's a better game by leaps and bounds. It feels good to play. It's also 10 years newer.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Started messing around with the Automatron DLC stuff last night for a few min. Seems pretty cool & I've been playing long enough I was ready for new stuff to shoot in the face anyway

On a side note, found out certain companions will get into your power armor stash when your not around & the settlement they're in is under attack. Wouldn't be a big deal, but they leave it parked wherever they're at when the battle is over & Cait/McReedy/Hancock keep the helmets and you have to get them back from them

I really wanted to kill them all considering they had cabbaged onto X-01 helmets too.....thieving bastards! I guess I'm going to have to send them all away from my 50+ power armor suits stash at Sanctuary.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Started messing around with the Automatron DLC stuff last night for a few min. Seems pretty cool & I've been playing long enough I was ready for new stuff to shoot in the face anyway

On a side note, found out certain companions will get into your power armor stash when your not around & the settlement they're in is under attack. Wouldn't be a big deal, but they leave it parked wherever they're at when the battle is over & Cait/McReedy/Hancock keep the helmets and you have to get them back from them

I really wanted to kill them all considering they had cabbaged onto X-01 helmets too.....thieving bastards! I guess I'm going to have to send them all away from my 50+ power armor suits stash at Sanctuary.
View Quote

Will they do this even if you take the power cores out?
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top