Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2015 6:52:36 PM EDT
Fo or no fo? The MMO aspect is a massive turn off but I see it can also be played in a quasi single player mode, albeit with constant online shit to ensure all the data is server side and not susceptible to mucking around with cheatengine. I've got a burning desire for a new space game though.

Is this a good game?
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#1]
The game is fun but a bit shallow. Despite being an MMO, I've only encountered other players a few times. The galaxy is a HUGE place.

I mostly alternate between trading, and exploring.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty tempted.  I got a gift card that I want to put toward a HOTAS for Star Citizen, but I may have to try Elite: Dangerous as well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]
At $26 I'm also tempted...
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 12:30:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought the hell out of it. I've been waiting for a decent sale on Elite and noticed it was on sale earlier today.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 6:12:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The game is fun but a bit shallow. Despite being an MMO, I've only encountered other players a few times. The galaxy is a HUGE place.

I mostly alternate between trading, and exploring.
View Quote

if you want a lot of contact with other players, show up for a CG in open or find one of the super-lucrative rare routes and loiter at an endpoint.  If you're exploring, there are 400,000,000,000 star systems, and slightly fewer players so yah, that can get lonely.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I forgot about the sale and didn't buy it. Guess I'll be waiting for the Halloween sale, that is if Star Citizen hasn't gotten the persistent universe going by then. The head developer said he'd see us "in the verse" in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Sale hell... I bought the damn game on release day.  

I like it, you have to accept the fact that there isn't much story, but there is so much to do and see.  If I'm in a credit crunching mood, I'll fire up a good podcast, get in the Lakon Type 7, and start trading for a few hours and make 20 million credits.  If I want a bit of action, I'll go over to my Cobra III posted in LHS 3505 and go to the RES points and blow shit up.  If I just feel like saying fuck it all, I'll fire up my Asp and go exploring towards the galactic core.... you really don't appreciate how beautiful the game is until you start exploring coreward and the nebulas.  

Conflict zones are also very cool, especially if you get to see the capital ships.

The only problem with this game is that once you get into it you'll be playing, and look up to realize that 8 hours is gone.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#8]

I've been playing since it was a Kickstarter beta with a whopping 5 solar systems.

The learning curve is as steep as Half-Dome, and the tutorials are minimal at best, be warned. There are a bewildering array of keybinds if you play with keyboard/mouse, a HOTAS and Track IR setup will make flying much more intuitive.

The Galaxy is a harsh place, and you can get yourself in Big Trouble without even realizing it...like, don't loiter over the wrong landing pad, because the station WILL blow your ass up.

The MMO aspect...yeah, not so much unless you hang out in the popular areas. It's been ages since I saw another player, but then I'm 13,000 light years away from populated space, aka The Bubble.

Check out the Youtube vids on the new content coming out soon, Close Quarters Combat looks awesome for the guys who like the quick-twitch type gaming.

If you FO, send me a friend request, see sig.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#9]
finally purchased it.  I should not have waited so long.  I love it.

So is there an arfcom sector? and where should I go? What is the bubble right now I am running around in nwebie space Lhs 447 Evrates etc...
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Can someone clue a newb as to what this game is...Maybe something easy like  wiki link? Winter is coming and I'm always up for spending some quality indoor time when the outdoors suck.

Edit: comprehension is good did not realize the game was actually called elite dangerous. Thought it was nerd game speak
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#11]
NVM
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I've been playing since it was a Kickstarter beta with a whopping 5 solar systems.

The learning curve is as steep as Half-Dome, and the tutorials are minimal at best, be warned. There are a bewildering array of keybinds if you play with keyboard/mouse, a HOTAS and Track IR setup will make flying much more intuitive.

The Galaxy is a harsh place, and you can get yourself in Big Trouble without even realizing it...like, don't loiter over the wrong landing pad, because the station WILL blow your ass up.

The MMO aspect...yeah, not so much unless you hang out in the popular areas. It's been ages since I saw another player, but then I'm 13,000 light years away from populated space, aka The Bubble.

Check out the Youtube vids on the new content coming out soon, Close Quarters Combat looks awesome for the guys who like the quick-twitch type gaming.

View Quote
That's the thing. I don't really see the point of an MMO game in which you never see other players. The game world is too large for any size player base IMO. Some people think it's dumb that Star Citizen will only have a bit over 100 planned star systems that are 1/4 scale, but you'll at least run into other people. Not saying a to scale galaxy in a game is dumb, just that it doesn't make sense to make it multiplayer only. Maybe I'll pick it up if it's for sale again during the Halloween or Thanksgiving sale.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's the thing. I don't really see the point of an MMO game in which you never see other players. The game world is too large for any size player base IMO. Some people think it's dumb that Star Citizen will only have a bit over 100 planned star systems that are 1/4 scale, but you'll at least run into other people. Not saying a to scale galaxy in a game is dumb, just that it doesn't make sense to make it multiplayer only. Maybe I'll pick it up if it's for sale again during the Halloween or Thanksgiving sale.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's no argument from me that the game is lacking when it comes to the social aspects of Elite: Dangerous, it could certainly be a lot better.

Same thing with the tutorials, they could also be much better...but the thing is, this is a Kickstarter game, they had to invest in game play first.

The other stuff is coming, if you have the patience.

I'm enjoying it, but I'm since I'm an explorer, I don't want to see other people, or even traces they've been there...however, everyone knows explorers are an odd lot.

As for Star Citizen...no reason I can't play both.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top