Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2015 3:21:11 PM EDT
Always loved the games.

Bought the new PS 2 years ago when I saw MGS5 Ground zero was released thinking it was the real MGS5 game.

Now 2 years later I finally have the game downloading and waiting for me when I get off work.

Which has me thinking, WTF is up with the story line of Metal Gear?

Can someone try and explain what happens chronologically?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#1]
You ask a hard question.

Obviously, we don't know what the Phantom Pain holds for this particular period, but in Chronological order in the METAL GEAR series:

1. 1963/64 MGS3: Snake Eater (PS2)
2. 1970 MGS: Portable Ops (PSP)
3. 1974 MGS: Peace Walker (PSP)
4. 1975 MGS: Ground Zeroes (8th Gen)
5. 1984 MGS: The Phantom Pain (8th Gen)
6. 1995 Metal Gear (NES)
7. 1999 Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (NES)
8. 2005 Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
9. 2007/2009 Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)
10. 2014 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)

TPP tells the story of the further dispute between Major Zero/Cipher/The Philosophers/LaLiLuLeLo and Big Boss. Starts Diamond Dogs from the ashes of Militaire Sans Frontier after waking from a coma. He creates his own military nation free from government control. It's the bookend of the stories that focus on Big Boss, and transitions into the stories of the clones, whom have appearances in the game (at least Liquid).

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Just head on over to youtube and follow up on the story. Pretty deep and interesting in my opinion
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just head on over to youtube and follow up on the story. Pretty deep and interesting in my opinion
View Quote

Any good link?

Im not a gamer, much less a youtuber.

I just always enjoyed playing metal gear but have always been lost by the story. I didn't realize there were clones until the last game
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Fucking 75 minute prologue. Jesus.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fucking 75 minute prologue. Jesus.
View Quote

That's fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Lol the game starts off fucking weird.

Whatever

Fun stuff
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Metal Gear Solid 5 The Phantom Pain is pretty good about acting as a story on its own. It tells you everything you need to know. Just remember this whole thing is about revenge. XOF came and destroyed MSF (your previous private military and base). That's really it. You're on a mission to fuck them up
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Metal Gear Solid 5 The Phantom Pain is pretty good about acting as a story on its own. It tells you everything you need to know. Just remember this whole thing is about revenge. XOF came and destroyed MSF (your previous private military and base). That's really it. You're on a mission to fuck them up
View Quote

Yup that's what Im understand so far as well.

Turns out its the events after snake eater which I did play as well so my memory is starting to come back somewhat on the story line.

I wish it didn't have those stupid things with superpowers though
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#10]

A whole lot of wtf. All I know is the Japanese sure love their tactical shooters and robot fantasy shit, Metal Gear Solid seems to combine both of them together.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Whatever

Fun stuff
View Quote

You don't like bullet asborbing fire guy?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever

Fun stuff

I kinda sat there like

Ever since I have been pleased though raising hell in Afghanistan however

Getting use to the R&D thing where you scoop up people for slave labor. Kinda cool feature I suppose. Theres a lot going on with this game that's vastly different from the others
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngySxUOj-VI

A whole lot of wtf. All I know is the Japanese sure love their tactical shooters and robot fantasy shit, Metal Gear Solid seems to combine both of them together.
View Quote

Lol tag for later
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I kinda sat there like

Getting use to the R&D thing where you scoop up people for slave labor. Kinda cool feature I suppose. Theres a lot going on with this game that's vastly different from the others
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever

Fun stuff

I kinda sat there like

Yea MGS has alway had a little sci-fi fantasy in it. But this time its WAAAAY out there.
What I really dislike is they didn't use real guns in this one, while the made up ones are alright it's just not the same.
I would also prefer if it was more realistic but I'm not gonna let that ruin the game for me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yea MGS has alway had a little sci-fi fantasy in it. But this time its WAAAAY out there.
What I really dislike is they didn't use real guns in this one, while the made up ones are alright it's just not the same.
I would also prefer if it was more realistic but I'm not gonna let that ruin the game for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever

Fun stuff

I kinda sat there like

Yeah same here.

At the moment I am only using "real" guns. But Im only an hour or two into the game. That's kinda lame their using made up guns for a game set in the 80's

Its been great so far as long as I don't put too much thought into the weird shit

Maybe Im just getting old. I don't remember the MGS I played in the past to be too far out there, but then again, its been awhile
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:22:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yeah same here.

At the moment I am only using "real" guns. But Im only an hour or two into the game. That's kinda lame their using made up guns for a game set in the 80's

Its been great so far as long as I don't put too much thought into the weird shit

Maybe Im just getting old. I don't remember the MGS I played in the past to be too far out there, but then again, its been awhile
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever

Fun stuff

I kinda sat there like

Yeah same here.

Like many Japanese, Kojima is a hard core pacifist. He stopped liking the idea of paying weapons manufactures royalty fees to use their guns in game. That said, i like the in-game gun. It is sort of like a FAL / G3 / AR hodgepodge. :)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top