Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2015 9:54:27 PM EDT
I know a little bit about computers but not enough to feel comfortable with building my own. I've had a bunch of friends tell me how easy it is but I'd rather just buy a complete one and be done with it, especially since I'm staring from scratch.

I really don't need a suped up machine (something tells me I wouldn't really appreciate the difference in performance anyway) but something that should last or at least allow me to keep up with the spec demands of games for the next couple of years or so. As for cost I really can't legitimate over a grand right now, and looking at the price ranges for these desktops that looks to put me in the lower echelon of rigs.

So, any good entry level rigs (or at least a good starting point) for under 1k?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I know a little bit about computers but not enough to feel comfortable with building my own. I've had a bunch of friends tell me how easy it is but I'd rather just buy a complete one and be done with it, especially since I'm staring from scratch.

I really don't need a suped up machine (something tells me I wouldn't really appreciate the difference in performance anyway) but something that should last or at least allow me to keep up with the spec demands of games for the next couple of years or so. As for cost I really can't legitimate over a grand right now, and looking at the price ranges for these desktops that looks to put me in the lower echelon of rigs.

View Quote
Take your friends advice and roll your own. The hardest part is putting the CPU and cooler in and that's really not hard at all. The advantages is that you can get ALL quality parts while saving money at the same time. Nearly all pre builds come with shitty power supplies and that is the most important piece of them all. Why get other quality parts and feed it with unregulated power and with the chance of it going out and taking everything else with it?

For around $1k this would be a solid rig that will be able to handle today's and tomorrow's games.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VX9LNG

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($176.95 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($77.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($97.99 @ Adorama)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($97.95 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.49 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($358.89 @ Amazon)

Case: Raidmax Hyperion MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Amazon)

Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-MFJR-07FK-R1 110.0 CFM 200mm  Fan  ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $1015.21

View Quote

Watch plenty of YouTube videos on how to put together one. Then when you think you've watched enough, watch some more...lol

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:54:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Your friends seem like pretty smart guys.  You should listen to them.

If you can build an AR, you can build a PC.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Who said I can build an AR? Lol.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Take your friends advice and roll your own. The hardest part is putting the CPU and cooler in and that's really not hard at all. The advantages is that you can get ALL quality parts while saving money at the same time. Nearly all pre builds come with shitty power supplies and that is the most important piece of them all. Why get other quality parts and feed it with unregulated power and with the chance of it going out and taking everything else with it?

For around $1k this would be a solid rig that will be able to handle today's and tomorrow's games.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VX9LNG

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($176.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($97.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($97.95 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($358.89 @ Amazon)
Case: Raidmax Hyperion MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-MFJR-07FK-R1 110.0 CFM 200mm  Fan  ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $1015.21

Watch plenty of YouTube videos on how to put together one. Then when you think you've watched enough, watch some more...lol

Thanks for the site, that's exactly what I need for a road map.

So what you're saying is that if something were to go wrong with the power, like a surge or a fault with the unit, a good power supply would contain it whereas a cheap one would distribute it to the rest of the computer destroying everything in the process? Is there a name for this feature that I should be looking for, because that's something that I wouldn't have even thought about and am glad you brought it up.

Thankls for the staring point. It looks like I got some youtube videos to watch.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Not exactly

A good power supply will keep constant voltage to components and be less likely to over volt your stuff

A cheap one not so much

Any lightning storm can and will take out a computer no matter how it's plugged in
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#5]
It's extremely tempting to save $50 and get a cheap power supply.

Not fucking worth it. I'm one of those people that found out the hard way I'm just lucky it didn't damage anything else when it went out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Building a PC is easier than building a lego model. Pieces only go in the places where they are shaped to go.

Do not try and save money on a power supply. You want something that doesn't suck.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:17:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm gonna link up with a coworker next week and he's gonna help guide me through it. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:04:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm gonna link up with a coworker next week and he's gonna help guide me through it. Thanks again!
View Quote

That's a good way to do it.  I built my first PC years ago with the help of a buddy because I was nervous about troubleshooting or breaking something - fears that are almost always unfounded.  After the first one, you likely won't need any help that a quick glance at youtube won't solve.

And as an added bonus, you will know how the parts interact and will be able to upgrade yourself and solve a lot of your own problems without having to take it in because you didn't know the first thing about the inside of the box.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Built my first last year.
Wasn't as hard as I thought
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top