Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Hows the loot in this game?

Is there a lot of different shit you can deck your character out with or is it not like skyrim/diablo(diablo being an extreme example)?
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#2]
hangfire
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is there a lot of different shit you can deck your character out with or is it not like skyrim/diablo(diablo being an extreme example)?
View Quote

Lots of shit to collect but it seems like I am always about 2 levels above the really cool shit.

Rather than find a cool sword/armor during hard fight and getting a sword that might be 2 levels higher than me that I have to wait to use, i get cool swords that I could have used 2 levels ago.

Maybe it is the game telling me to increase difficulty.

I am level 18 and still wearing the old level 14 armor I crafted for it's set bonus.

But then I am not playing the game for a crazy desire to collect loot.   It doesnt have wildly unique loot variations like a Borderlands game.

I would say there is a lack of loot actually given there is light, medium, heavy armor.   How you play the character and spend skill points will be armor based.   So you will be using one set of armor for 4-5 levels until you get into the range of the next higher armor set.

More likely to upgrade swords every 2-3 levels.    But that is where I am stuck getting bitching named relic swords with 3 socket slots but not using them because they are 3-4 levels too low.

So, for now I have refocused on playing gwent...
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's good, though a little different. There are tons of armor and weapon options to choose from and mix and match, but many of them are going to either be too high or too low of a level to use.  And you can't upgrade most low level equipment by tempering it like you could in Skyrim to keep low level armor viable at higher levels, except for specific armor sets called Witcher gear which can only be upgraded at certain levels themselves.

Unlike Skyrim, the Witcher gear actually changes appearances as you upgrade it, which is neat. You won't find random jewels and potions as often. I'd say it's not quite as broad as Skyrim overall, but good enough that I never thought it was a problem. If you are looking for a very loot focused game, this probably isn't your jam.

Some differences would be things like the crossbow not being a viable primary weapon like bows in Skyrim (melee is really the main form of fighting) , and also as an example your weapons and armor will degrade over time. Also, buying new equipment, or having it made, is extremely expensive and you won't be doing it as often.

The big problem, as I've mentioned before, is that there's currently no way to store items you don't use but want to save. This will likely be patched in at some point, but for now is kind of hamstrings your ability to collect cool or unique stuff.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Am I the only one who is overwhelmed by all the different alchemy ingredients and crafting all the other stuff to learn in the game?
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Am I the only one who is overwhelmed by all the different alchemy ingredients and crafting all the other stuff to learn in the game?
View Quote

Nope!

I can't even use half of the oils/potions/decoctions because I only discovered the enhanced/superior version and can't make it without the basic version
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nope!

I can't even use half of the oils/potions/decoctions because I only discovered the enhanced/superior version and can't make it without the basic version
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope!

I found the superior, maybe enhanced, devil's puffball formula, but didn't have the regular. I bought the regular formula from a dwarf herbalist NE of Oxenfurt, and was able to make the better version.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:18:15 PM EDT
[#8]
This game is fucking incredible.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:38:52 AM EDT
[#9]
You guys convinced me to buy it. I was going to hold off until it was on sale. I did pretty much everything in the starting area and got out. In the second area now (Velen?).
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nope!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope!

I've seen you guys say this a lot....but i've found the enhanced versions and later found the regular ones and was just fine.  Maybe you've just caught a bug lol...idk, working for me.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I fucking hate gargoyles.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#12]
White Orchard has tons of places of power and hidden loot to reward you for exploring. Show up in Velen and try that shit and you get eaten by monsters so far above your level you can't even hurt them. Plus, if this were Witcher 1 Geralt would have banged half a dozen maidens by now.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You guys convinced me to buy it. I was going to hold off until it was on sale. I did pretty much everything in the starting area and got out. In the second area now (Velen?).
View Quote

Wow you should have waited, the big annual steam sale starts in 10 days.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you mean more beyond all the "?" marked spots?  I know I've found some loot bundles floating on the edge of the lake and several near a bridge.  May have to explore that area more.  I've cleared all the ?'s.

Killed a lvl 6 bear when I was level 2 or 3.  Just waited for the charge and dodged, then slashed and used the fire sign.  Had to heal a bit, but not bad.

I really dig the environments so far.  Running around in the woods with the wind blowing and all the trees and bushes swaying, sunlight filtering through the trees.

Quoted:
White Orchard has tons of places of power and hidden loot to reward you for exploring. Show up in Velen and try that shit and you get eaten by monsters so far above your level you can't even hurt them. Plus, if this were Witcher 1 Geralt would have banged half a dozen maidens by now.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#15]
What mutagens do you guys have equipped? I have a greater green, a greater blue, and I believe a lesser red.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What mutagens do you guys have equipped? I have a greater green, a greater blue, and I believe a lesser red.
View Quote

One of each. The big thing to remember is to match the mutagen color with the perk color so you get that fat bonus.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#17]
There a way to turn off all of the undiscovered ? on the map as well as the current quest marker/arrow?

Would love to have to physically explore rather than, oh, lets go to that ? over there. Would also prefer to have to figure shit out instead of, oh, the quest wants me to go here next.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

2 blue
1 red
1 green

I might actually get rid of the green and add another red.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

2 blue
1 red
1 green

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 blue
1 red
1 green

What red perks do you use?  Arrow deflection, the crossbow one, and light attacks are the only ones I find useful.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What red perks do you use?  Arrow deflection, the crossbow one, and light attacks are the only ones I find useful.
View Quote

Muscle Memory, Precise Blows, and Crippling Strikes.

I focus on fast attacks, Igni, and Quen, combined with the full set of cat school gear.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Welp, I ran into my first quest-breaking bug.  Trying to finish the fistfighting sidequest in Velen, but I can't seem to trigger one of the cutscenes to fight a guy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Welp, I ran into my first quest-breaking bug.  Trying to finish the fistfighting sidequest in Velen, but I can't seem to trigger one of the cutscenes to fight a guy.
View Quote

Feck

I ran into a similar issue with the hen quest in Novigrad.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There a way to turn off all of the undiscovered ? on the map as well as the current quest marker/arrow?

Would love to have to physically explore rather than, oh, lets go to that ? over there. Would also prefer to have to figure shit out instead of, oh, the quest wants me to go here next.
View Quote

There's a filter button up in the top right of the map which lets you toggle what shows up.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone else romancing both Triss & Yennefer? Pretty sure that it won't end well for Geralt. I may have to replay a side mission to dump Yennefer. She's kind of a bitch.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Anyone else romancing both Triss & Yennefer? Pretty sure that it won't end well for Geralt. I may have to replay a side mission to dump Yennefer. She's kind of a bitch.
View Quote

I'm slightly more biased for Triss.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Triss for me, since she was in TW1 and the main squeeze TW2.  Yennefer seems to be a good character, but hamstrung IMO by the fact that this is the only game where she actually appears (only gets some mentions in previous games), and much of the relationship relies on backstory that the player never saw.  Meanwhile, you spent the whole first and second games getting to know Triss, if you played them.  

My guess is that people who have played the first or second games will generally be biased toward Triss, while people who haven't played any other titles in the series will be biased toward Yennefer, since she shows up first and has stronger implied bonds to Geralt.

I have heard that romancing both does lead to a poor outcome at the end of the game.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

W3 will probably not be on sale until November or Christmas and even then maybe 10-15 percent off, 20 at the most.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Triss for me, since she was in TW1 and the main squeeze TW2.  Yennefer seems to be a good character, but hamstrung IMO by the fact that this is the only game where she actually appears (only gets some mentions in previous games), and much of the relationship relies on backstory that the player never saw.  Meanwhile, you spent the whole first and second games getting to know Triss, if you played them.  

My guess is that people who have played the first or second games will generally be biased toward Triss, while people who haven't played any other titles in the series will be biased toward Yennefer, since she shows up first and has stronger implied bonds to Geralt.

I have heard that romancing both does lead to a poor outcome at the end of the game.
View Quote

This is what I'm afraid of, I'm going to replay that side mission.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm moving really slowly through this game.  Just got through the Bloody Baron sidequest.  What great writing.

The story writing in this game really does blow Skyrim away.  Almost every sidequest has a fleshed out story, cutscenes, and specific voice acting.  Random quests show up in the world, consequences of your choices make a visible impact later on, and so on.  It's worlds away from the Skyrim brand of fetchquests, random encounters, and story lines that have zero impact on the world.  I love Elder Scrolls/Fallout games, but I really hope that Bethesda is taking notes here.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm moving really slowly through this game.  Just got through the Bloody Baron sidequest.  What great writing.

The story writing in this game really does blow Skyrim away.  Almost every sidequest has a fleshed out story, cutscenes, and specific voice acting.  Random quests show up in the world, consequences of your choices make a visible impact later on, and so on.  It's worlds away from the Skyrim brand of fetchquests, random encounters, and story lines that have zero impact on the world.  I love Elder Scrolls/Fallout games, but I really hope that Bethesda is taking notes here.
View Quote

It seems like the Fyke Isle quest could have been its own novella, or at the very least a short story.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:36:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Beat it. Great game/story. Although I messed up and accidentally skipped a quest, which caused this to happen:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It seems like the Fyke Isle quest could have been its own novella, or at the very least a short story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The whole game could score a dozen plus of its own completely apart from the book series.  Which is why it's so damn good!  

Haven't made too much progress since last time I posted.  Still level 21 well I gained a level.  Going back and doing the old quests I skipped when I was focused on 1 set of quests and wanted to know wtf was happening lol.

Just made it to a part in the game where once I continue, it fails a bunch of quests.  Time to go back and finish those first.  

Oh, and Triss > all.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 12:06:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Well I'm a level 22 and am stuck on a bug that causes you to get stuck on the black loading screen. Apparently there are lots of people with this same problem and CD Project Red is releasing another patch any day for this. Luckily I recovered my save before I got stuck and was able to leave that quest for now and continue with side quests and exploring...,however I can't complete any more main quests until this bug is patched.

FML.

At least I can explore and stuff tho...the story is gripping tho and I'm dying to keep going.

Remember to alternate save slots!!!! Encase you get suck you can jump back to you other save slot and continue without losing much gameplay...assuming you manually save often.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 12:18:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well I'm a level 22 and am stuck on a bug that causes you to get stuck on the black loading screen. Apparently there are lots of people with this same problem and CD Project Red is releasing another patch any day for this. Luckily I recovered my save before I got stuck and was able to leave that quest for now and continue with side quests and exploring...,however I can't complete any more main quests until this bug is patched.

FML.

At least I can explore and stuff tho...the story is gripping tho and I'm dying to keep going.

Remember to alternate save slots!!!! Encase you get suck you can jump back to you other save slot and continue without losing much gameplay...assuming you manually save often.
View Quote

Platform?
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Last night, I tried every different way of ending the fencing lessons quest.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Just finished defending Kaer Horhen.  Epic.  I love this game.

Also, Superior Feline gear is awesome
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#37]
What horse gear are you guys using?

I need to do more races.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#38]
How does eating work?

When something says 5second heal time vs 20 seconds does that mean it heals the same number of hit points but faster or does it heal at the same rate but for a lesser total because it only does it for 5 seconds?
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#39]
From todays patch notes :

"Deploys the Bovine Defense Force Initiative."

You have been warned. Mess with the cows at your peril.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How does eating work?

When something says 5second heal time vs 20 seconds does that mean it heals the same number of hit points but faster or does it heal at the same rate but for a lesser total because it only does it for 5 seconds?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
How does eating work?

All food/drink heal for the same amount, just the timer is different.  While bread and water are 5 seconds, something like apple juice and a pork sandwich or something is 10 seconds, some are 20s etc.  It's just duration based, all heal the same just some give more overall due to being longer duration.

Quoted:

Because of all the senseless cow slaughtering in White Orchard to gain massive gold....

Don't need the gold really...I have 10k and I don't have anything to spend it on right now lol.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

All food/drink heal for the same amount, just the timer is different.  While bread and water are 5 seconds, something like apple juice and a pork sandwich or something is 10 seconds, some are 20s etc.  It's just duration based, all heal the same just some give more overall due to being longer duration.

Because of all the senseless cow slaughtering in White Orchard to gain massive gold....

Don't need the gold really...I have 10k and I don't have anything to spend it on right now lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does eating work?

Quoted:

I wont connect to the net for fear of updates.     I use the pearl/black pearl buy/sell loop in Velen.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I wont connect to the net for fear of updates.     I use the pearl/black pearl buy/sell loop in Velen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does eating work?

Quoted:

To what end though?  I've not had a need to even spend gold lol.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does eating work?

Quoted:

Someone's spending their crowns on hookers and fisstech.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Someone's spending their crowns on hookers and fisstech.
View Quote

lol.  That can get expensive!    
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Is it just me or is Geralt the same guy who does Solid Snake's voice?

Also, anyone happen to know who Ciri is modeled after(if anyone)?  Mien Gott that ass is mesmerizing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#46]
I dont really sell anything.

I usually deconstruct for crafting components and repairs.   That shit gets kinda expensive.

I also buy every set of cards I can
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Is it just me or is Geralt the same guy who does Solid Snake's voice?

Also, anyone happen to know who Ciri is modeled after(if anyone)?  Mien Gott that ass is mesmerizing.
View Quote

It's not same guy who does Snake. Or did Snake. They replaced him with Kiefer Sutherland for the latest Metal Gear. Fuck be upon that decision.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I need to do more races.
View Quote

A plus 100 weight set of zerrikanian saddlebags, and an enhanced cavalry saddle that gives +65 stamina.  Both bought from merchants early on in skellige.  None of the stuff I've won in races even comes close to that so far.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 12:30:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

A plus 100 weight set of zerrikanian saddlebags, and an enhanced cavalry saddle that gives +65 stamina.  Both bought from merchants early on in skellige.  None of the stuff I've won in races even comes close to that so far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I need to do more races.

Got my Cavalry Saddle from the race at the rich lady's place, forget the damn name.  You do a quest there with Tris, a masquerade and what not.  There's a race there, finished the entire thing and got that saddle.  So they do give you something nice, just meh the other one I found sucked, gave crap.

I need to go buy that 100 weight saddlebag, I only have a 70 one.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 5:24:22 AM EDT
[#50]
This damn place. Now I'm hooked on another game, downloaded it yesterday morning on my peasant PS4 and played all damn day. Pretty sweet so far.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top