Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:28:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How does co-op work?

If my friend is 30% through the game can I jump in and play co-op with him at that point or do we have to restart our own 'campaign?'
View Quote

Yeah you can join in with him, thing is, you will be dealing with his progress. Vice versa. So spoiler alerts, and also replaying missions once you do his. If that makes sense.

Everything remains the same as if you are playing individually, you will just have a partner.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:30:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

How does co-op work?

If my friend is 30% through the game can I jump in and play co-op with him at that point or do we have to restart our own 'campaign?'
View Quote
i would imagine its like every other game with limited co-op. if the ppl you are playing with arent all around the same level its usually not very fun. he joins your game, and kills everything super easy. you join his game and you get rolled by harder enemies. etc.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i would imagine its like every other game with limited co-op. if the ppl you are playing with arent all around the same level its usually not very fun. he joins your game, and kills everything super easy. you join his game and you get rolled by harder enemies. etc.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does co-op work?

Exactly, but I don't think the bad guys get any harder. However, I could be wrong?

Eta: Yeah, you definitely  come across stronger mofos  as you progress
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:13:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Exactly, but I don't think the bad guys get any harder. However, I could be wrong?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does co-op work?

I think the enemy populace is still gated by the story, so if you haven't unlocked specific enemies they still won't appear in your game as the host.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 5:49:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think the enemy populace is still gated by the story, so if you haven't unlocked specific enemies they still won't appear in your game as the host.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does co-op work?

Honestly, I don't know. Me and the fella I normally play with are about at the same progress
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in absolute love with this game. Like 4 hours of sleep a night since I picked it up.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm in absolute love with this game. Like 4 hours of sleep a night since I picked it up.
View Quote

Me too, played until 4:30 am Saturday. Wife just laughed at me.
Right now I stopped the main story and am working on side missions. Having a blast!
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty early in the game I found a "military rifle" on a guy I kicked to death. Only have 17 rounds for it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm enjoying it so far.  Other than the intro, I've only been playing co-op.  This is the first game I've really played that has parkour in it.  I generally sort of suck at platforming/jumping in games.  Thankfully, this seems to be an exception to that sucking.  

Also, EXPcalibur Sword

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shit, tell me about it. I've been drinking beer and had a nonstop headache for two days.

Brb. Out of beer.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been seriously thinking about buying this thanks to all the feedback...

But can anyone tell me why this game is $60 on Steam but is $50 in retail packaging?... for what is more or less a Steam code?
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've been seriously thinking about buying this thanks to all the feedback...

But can anyone tell me why this game is $60 on Steam but is $50 in retail packaging?... for what is more or less a Steam code?
View Quote

$10 convenience fee for not having to go get the steam code somewhere else?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Are the concerns that it's Dead Island redux not true?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

I suppose it depends on what your concerns with Dead Island were.

I'd say the biggest similarity is the near endless amount of "fetch quests" that some people may find repetitive. So far I don't mind them because the parkour elements make traversing the city pretty fun. Just because you're going to the same places repeatedly doesn't mean you have to take the same routes. Plus the locations where you can scavenge supplies "respawn" after you pass through, so you can always take your time and gather more materials along the way.

Weapon breakage is still a thing, but they're easy to repair and there are generally a good number of decent quality weapons to be found. It's nowhere near as annoying as it was in Dead Island, in my opinion.

Storyline is an improvement, but it's not going to win any awards for writing.  

Combat feels smooth and visceral. It's pretty satisfying smacking a zombie upside the head with a pipe wrench and the parkour abilities also mean it's easier to escape a bad predicament, provided you keep your wits about you.

Adding verticality to the game is the best thing they could have done. It improves everything from combat strategies to escape options and general travel around the city.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'd say the biggest similarity is the near endless amount of "fetch quests" that some people may find repetitive. So far I don't mind them because the parkour elements make traversing the city pretty fun. Just because you're going to the same places repeatedly doesn't mean you have to take the same routes. Plus the locations where you can scavenge supplies "respawn" after you pass through, so you can always take your time and gather more materials along the way.

Weapon breakage is still a thing, but they're easy to repair and there are generally a good number of decent quality weapons to be found. It's nowhere near as annoying as it was in Dead Island, in my opinion.

Combat feels smooth and visceral. It's pretty satisfying smacking a zombie upside the head with a pipe wrench and the parkour abilities also mean it's easier to escape a bad predicament, provided you keep your wits about you.

Adding verticality to the game is the best thing they could have done. It improves everything from combat strategies to escape options and general travel around the city.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This dude nailed it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Going home, getting a quick bite. Then off to slay some zombies!

I hope I can stop at a reasonable hour since last session went until 4 am.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#17]
After patch it deleted all my weapons, blueprints, skill points but left me at the same point in the game....

God damn glitches
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I picked it up at Best Buy today, had a discount coupon.

So far it seems like a decent enough game. It is INFINITELY more polished than Dead Island.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#19]
How is the nightime, or, you don't go out at all unless you have to?
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How is the nightime, or, you don't go out at all unless you have to?
View Quote

I did not at first, but now do in certain areas because you get more points going out at night.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#21]
So my biggest problem with Dead Island was that the further you got in the game, when you went back to the earlier levels, the enemies still scaled with you, the player.  Normally, the enemies would stay the same level range no matter what your level was.  Does Dying Light still have that problem?
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 1:39:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Need one on ps4 to do polyamory trophy. Psn Id is conju. I have 5 quests front loaded
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 1:53:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So my biggest problem with Dead Island was that the further you got in the game, when you went back to the earlier levels, the enemies still scaled with you, the player.  Normally, the enemies would stay the same level range no matter what your level was.  Does Dying Light still have that problem?
View Quote

Yeah the main ones do, however, you come across new breeds that are nothing short of a huge pain in the ass
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Has anyone picked this up yet?

Is it a letdown? how's the coop?

Picked it up and love it!

ETA: Title to official
View Quote

What do you play on?

I'm on Xbox one

Gamertag ADE1990
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#26]

I wish they would put out some DLC with new weapons with suppressors and NVGs. That would make the game truly awesome.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Does anyone have any tips on fighting humans early in the game?

It seems like no matter what I do they auto block 90% of my attacks, I seemingly don't have the ability to block anything of theirs and even when I leap dodge clean out of the way the game still registers their hits on me. Its like trying to play the game over a terrible internet connection when fighting humans and I always feel like I'm a half second behind them.

The same thing happens with those big concrete mallet carrying zombies. I can dodge like a spider monkey but the game still registers hits on me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Does anyone have any tips on fighting humans early in the game?

It seems like no matter what I do they auto block 90% of my attacks, I seemingly don't have the ability to block anything of theirs and even when I leap dodge clean out of the way the game still registers their hits on me. Its like trying to play the game over a terrible internet connection when fighting humans and I always feel like I'm a half second behind them.

The same thing happens with those big concrete mallet carrying zombies. I can dodge like a spider monkey but the game still registers hits on me.
View Quote
Molotovs. Light them bitches up, man.  

I always carry at least half a dozen of them. They're awesome for humans and tightly packed groups of walkers. The game considers them "silent" too, in terms of attracting virals.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Is there a good source for Alcohol in the game? The rare few I encounter I always use to make medkits, which I am in constant need of from falling off of things or getting sucker hit by things that should have missed me by a mile.

I swear the player character hit box is the size of a winnebago.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I honestly don't remember having too much problem with finding alcohol. I also tend to spend more time scavenging than fighting though, so that may not be typical. Make sure you check fridges as that seems to be one of the highest percentage spots. The footlockers and locked chests on rooftops often have it as well. I seem to remember pharmacies having it, too.

Another thing you might try is the Dying Light Companion app on iTunes or Android. It's a free scouting mini-game that links to your game account (not sure how it works on PC, but supposedly it does). Any game materials that your scouts find can be sent to your quartermaster in-game so you can pick them up. That's another way to score alcohol. It's actually a fairly fun little mini-game in itself.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Just picked it up. It's my first game purchase since November when Smash Bros WiiU came out

Waiting for PSN to come back up to download updates so I can play it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What do you play on?

I'm on Xbox one

Gamertag ADE1990
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has anyone picked this up yet?

Is it a letdown? how's the coop?

Picked it up and love it!

ETA: Title to official

What do you play on?

I'm on Xbox one

Gamertag ADE1990

Sorry. Ps4
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Now that I have the shield and have started slinging molotovs the game is not quite as hard as it was.

Did anyone else find the "destiny loot cave"? I guess you have to be playing co-op to get the chest as the zombies just keep spawning.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Now that I have the shield and have started slinging molotovs the game is not quite as hard as it was.

Did anyone else find the "destiny loot cave"? I guess you have to be playing co-op to get the chest as the zombies just keep spawning.
View Quote

I saw somebody playing it.  I laughed.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I can't tell if I like this game or don't like it I get bored pretty quickly while playing.

I haven't tried multilayer yet though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm kind of in the same boat on the "do I really like this game" musing.

The game has moments of awesome surrounded by miles and miles of yawn / blah punctuated with the odd "what the fuck? Well, fuck THIS shit".

I can really appreciate what they TRIED to do and I can also appreciate how far they've come since Dead Island, but this is by no means a [GameGrumps] "den outta den" [/GameGrumps] game. It still has a whole lot of rough edges and some outright flaws that could be tightened up with future patches.

Every game has flaws though, and some of them are possibly intentional to balance the game out. I have to admit that almost every time I've died it has been under what I consider to be "cheap" circumstances. Hordes of enemies beaming in from the enterprise in once cleared rooms, goons with concrete sledge hammers and their magic ability to spin in place 180 degrees and hit you even though you dodged, and my biggest enemy gripe the fucking endless waves of fast movers who glitch and just keep coming no matter how many you kill with no apparent noise source drawing them to you. I can accept it when I over-reached and was caught... I can chock that up as life in the video game world. But when enemy attacks and spawn patterns feel like glitches it just really makes a good play session turn sour and make you want to rage quit.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm definitely enjoying it.

I've only had one notable glitch so far, one of the endless waves of virals that you mentioned. For the most part it was okay, because it happened after I got the head stomp ability. Climbing up onto a structure makes them pretty easy since you can stomp their heads as they try to climb after you. I did find that running a good distance from the area where they were spawning seemed to end the wave.

Most of my deaths have been of the, "Let's see what this does..." variety. Or like the time I ran into a building and shut the door behind me, only to turn around and see one of the boomer guys standing there.  

I did have one death that I felt was cheap. I got grappled when crawling through one of the holes in the spike barriers. When I pushed the zombie away I apparently impaled myself on the barrier. From 135 life to dead.  

I tried drop kicking one of the rebar guys. It didn't work out well, but I went into it knowing it probably wouldn't work. He swatted me out of the air and did about 90 damage.

Generally those guys are easy though. Just carry 1 or 2 of the Heavy Rebar that they use. You can actually throw them a fair distance and they do ridiculous damage. I have 2 that I carry that do 210 damage, and I'm almost certain that throwing a weapon increases its damage. You can usually kill a heavy (What are these called; Grunts?) with one or two throws. After they die, pick up their rebar to replace yours if it's getting worn out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Finally picked this up Friday and was able to run through the entire main story this weekend. I plan on focusing on exploring, clearing safe houses and doing challenges and side quests. This game is a ton of fun, it feels like a far cry meets a zombie apocalypse. I am looking for co-op players on xbox one GT:Lambshot23
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:33:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just found the Destiny loot cave.  That cracked me up.  I (playing solo) did not have trouble getting the chest since I just used gore camo.  But after some more kills they announced a patch & told you to better do some missions now.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm sure everyone else has beaten this game and moved on by now, but I finally finished it this weekend.

My personal grade now that the game is done is a solid C.

Everything this game does right is discolored by the litany of things it does wrong in my opinion. What could have been one of my all time favorite games is marred by tons of control glitches, gameplay wonkiness and (without spoilers) one of the most frustrating and disappointing ending missions I have played in recent years. All the goodwill this game earned with me it wasted in the last hour or so of gameplay. I actually caught myself saying "really? REALLY?" more times than I was having fun, and the final mission literally made me rage quit like two times before I finally cooled off enough to try it again and beat it.

Pretty much every failing of Dead Island comes back to haunt this game in one form or another. Yes it has improved graphics, yes the characters don't make you want to stab yourself in the head and yes the plot is a step up (but a step up from shit makes this plot... what... puke? snot? Still not something good, but not absolutely terrible). However the inconsistent freerunning controls, the control glitches and quirks (enemies hitting you drop you out of run, using certain times creates an unavoidable delay cycle before you can use another item or weapon, switching between aim and hip fire with rifles occasionally causes a very noticable and at times dangerous lag, doorway clipping with thrown weapons is inconsistent, crafting menu is clunky and tedious, I could go on for weeks) the completely random enemy strikes (including some enemies who stunlock you and insta-hit or insta-kill you despite you getting hits on them), the player hitbox the size of a bus (enemies track you far too easily even in the middle of swings or locked in movements, they hit you easily and from a distance away at times while the player must be laser beam accurate with their strikes) and don't even get me started on the "boss" fights.

I agree with Yahtzee's review of the game... it is kind of a tired "been there, done that" game with nice graphics and not much else going for it. It falls prey to cliche and cop-out more than it excels. It does have sporadic moments of excitement, but those moments quickly fade once you realize you will do them over and over again. The repetition and the glitches quickly gave way to frustration and boredom for me as I started pushing faster and faster to finish the game. There is not much to savor when every building looks alike, every zombie looks alike, every weapon looks alike and every mission feels like the ten you did before.

So 6/10... a solid C. Nothing terrible, but nothing really outstanding. Wish I would have waited for the inevitable Steam 75% off sale rather than paying full retail... but in the end it did the job I needed it to do, which was fill time while I'm waiting for GTA5.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:56:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
one of the most frustrating and disappointing ending missions I have played in recent years.
View Quote

Disappointing mechanically or story-wise?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 3:06:48 AM EDT
[#42]
still waiting for it to be on sale for 5$
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
one of the most frustrating and disappointing ending missions I have played in recent years.

Both.

Spoilers ahead for anyone who cares:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Has anyone played since the latest patch? Supposedly over 50 weapons were added and other content. Didnt notice any of it in last nights gameplay
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Im only about 20% in so no idea, i did play and noticed nothing different from the update though.

GT is Favre44 if anyone wants to play on xbone.

my biggest gripe is how long these assholes make you intro the game. Anyone who plays video games can figure out what / how to do shit in about 35-45 seconds. But game devs seem to enjoy locking you into 15+ minutes of shitty intros and loading screens and showing off what they want to before they let you play.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top