Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I just did a directory search in my GTA5 Steam folder and I do not have a Playgtav.exe file... not sure what is going on with your set...
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I got the alienware alpha. Can this be played with the controller?
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got the alienware alpha. Can this be played with the controller?
View Quote

Settings say full controller support and show an Xbox controller. Layout appears to be just like the Xbox version.

I'm debating plugging in my Xbox controller and using it to drive and fly as the keyboard and mouse are far too twitchy for me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#4]
OK I think with the tweaking I've done I have the sweet spot graphics wise for my setup.

Running at 3560x1440 with the settings set mostly to very high and highs. Frame rate locks at 59.

Benchmark tool shows the framerate all over the place, but it feels very solid when playing.

(reduced screencap)

I like the depth the game has... lots of near and far field blur and good fluid motion.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Good fucking GOD is there a way to disable Steam voice chat?

Its like being in a loud bus terminal full of retards, racists and idiots who leave their mic open so bad I hear more of THEIR game than my own game...
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't wait till I get home.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:12:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Its like being in a loud bus terminal full of retards, racists and idiots who leave their mic open so bad I hear more of THEIR game than my own game...
View Quote

You playing mp?

Yes children are very racist. Its crazy on some of the crap they say.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You playing mp?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You playing mp?

I was just on doing the first few missions (got my first car) but this one guy had his mic wide open. It was so loud I couldn't hear my own game... all I could hear was his game... LOUD... and him calling everyone ni##ers.

I can't find my headset so I'm just screwing around for right now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I got it working by disabling my gtx780,using the on board video to launch the app, then re enabling the 780. Don't ask me why this worked but I am in single player.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I'm done for the night, we'll all have to link up tomorrow night and try to get something going if people are up for it. I'll have to find my headset though.

I plugged in my Xbox controller and yup I can hoof it with KB+M and then switch on the fly to the controller to drive. The transition getting in and out of the vehicles is just enough time to pick up and put down the controller in my lap.

My initial opinion of the game is that while it feels a little clunky in spots (mostly the initial menu system) it plays like a smooth animal.

The only problem I'm having is a slight audio delay... it is as if the audio is a half second ahead or behind of the action on screen. I'll have to do some research and figure out if it is a setting problem or what.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Got it up and running. My name is the same as my name on here so Jinxsters. I'll be playing story for a awhile, but I'll cross over to mp here soon.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 1:29:32 AM EDT
[#12]
So I was out walking around and was attacked by a freaking mountain lion or some shit.

Killed it, took pictures of it with my phone. Even took a selfie with the thing.

...and they are nowhere to be found. Fuck you, rockstar.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 6:37:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So I was out walking around and was attacked by a freaking mountain lion or some shit.

Killed it, took pictures of it with my phone. Even took a selfie with the thing.

View Quote

Lol give it time they will show up, did the same thing when we tried to change the crew emblem it showed up 3 hours later.

My copy from steam ran fine at 4k the settings come default with vsync enabled so thats probably why you couldn't get over 60 frames arc. As for the voice chat it can also be disabled in sound.

The only problem i ran into was that i couldn't connect to gta online which we all know is due to  high server load hopefully i can get in when i get off of work.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Lol give it time they will show up, did the same thing when we tried to change the crew emblem it showed up 3 hours later.

My copy from steam ran fine at 4k the settings come default with vsync enabled so thats probably why you couldn't get over 60 frames arc. As for the voice chat it can also be disabled in sound.

The only problem i ran into was that i couldn't connect to gta online which we all know is due to  high server load hopefully i can get in when i get off of work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should know better by now Unified, online won't be playable for at least a week because Cockstar.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I generally run with vsync on. I know the die hards always say to leave it off, but that usually causes tearing in cutscenes and in slow scenes that drives me bonkers. And from what I could see at the 1080p+ resolutions it doesn't give you an option for 60, everything is drop frame (29, 49, 59). Makes no difference to me though as it runs smooth on my monitor from what I can tell.

And I did find the teamspeak off switch in the GTA options this morning, so I'll have to try it out again tonight and see if things are more tollerable. I'll also have to find my headset and download teamspeak. When I was online I was able to get in just fine with no real hiccups.

Edit: Does anyone else have audio delay in their game? I see no talk of it anywhere on the Steam forums, just "audio not working at all".

In my game all the audio plays, but it plays like a half second behind the video... which means all the lip sync is off, the sound effects happen noticeably after the events and it gives everything kind of a wonky imbalanced feel.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#16]
My pictures finally showed up

So first, the kitteh that tried to kill me:

And the bus driver that pissed me off, so I fucked his shit up good:

Yes, I used a bulldozer from the construction site in the background to lift the bus off the ground, essentially high centering it. Why kill people you don't have to?

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#17]
After playing for two nights I have to be honest... the GTA Online side of the game is very clunky and not much fun.

The first mission I played started off well then quickly dissolved into every man for himself. If I hadn't run back the briefcase I think the thing would have ended in stalemate.

So I took a break and went clothes shopping since I got some unlocks, and this one guy tried to steal my car the second I parked it to go into a store... so he had to die.

After buying my clothes I decided to go for a drive when this other guy followed me all stalker like as I drove around until he finally decided to attack me... so he had to die.

Getting bored I tried my hand at a few more of the missions and they all again dissolved quickly into every man for himself clusterfucks with no real coordination or tactics.

Then after all that  finally I took one car repo mission and got paired up with a decent guy. We did the mission easily, got paid and went our separate ways... no assholeishness or douchebaggery.

So one good mission out of all of them so far.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:52:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm having a blast so far, mostly just goofing around.  I spent around 3 hours riding around on a bicycle yesterday and I was crying from laughing so hard.  Pro tip - Don't get chased by the police when you are on a bike.  Endless fun to be had though.

Got serious and leveled up to 5 so I can buy an apartment/garage and stuff.  Did a couple races for some easy cash.

Overall I am enjoying the online side.  I haven't had any issues joining and haven't had many issues with lag.  The game runs flawlessly and looks great on my old GTX 660 and I imagine it would be awesome on a newer system in 4K.

In-game name is Heavenisalie.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:54:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I have not yet attempted the GTA online portion.

I'll give it a whack when I get back from this assignment, probably a week +/-
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:54:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Without changing any settings I'll get CTD's the first couple of startups between 2-15 minutes into the game. Then after that I can get a few hours out of it in one run. This is super frustrating, it usually means I pass one mission and end up replaying it a couple times before I get a solid game in. Even if it saves after the mission in game, after the CTD I'll load up and it hasn't actually saved. I always get super nervous and cut my games shorter than I would like just to make sure I exit properly and everything I have done gets saved for my next play.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:11:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Haven't had any save issues but when I transferred my character they deleted all my cars because i duped 2 of them and i had a tank glitched into my garage

arclight thats what crews are for  when you get online join ts and hit join crew to get in our room.we keep trying to do missions but then we get lost in the insanity and have a blast. The first time we tried to do a mission a bounty popped and there were 5 arfcommers rushing through town in 5 different vehicles killing everything in sight and we ended up plunging the entire server into anarchy.

The only problem were having now is we cant find a whole lot of main missions for 6+ players.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:22:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Btw
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Without changing any settings I'll get CTD's the first couple of startups between 2-15 minutes into the game. Then after that I can get a few hours out of it in one run. This is super frustrating, it usually means I pass one mission and end up replaying it a couple times before I get a solid game in. Even if it saves after the mission in game, after the CTD I'll load up and it hasn't actually saved. I always get super nervous and cut my games shorter than I would like just to make sure I exit properly and everything I have done gets saved for my next play.
View Quote

What hardware are you running?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Off to look at prices on graphics cards.... I have a 650 or 660TI, I forget which, but it seems to struggle on higher settings for most games. Slapping in a bit more RAM probably wouldn't hurt either.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Haven't had any save issues but when I transferred my character they deleted all my cars because i duped 2 of them and i had a tank glitched into my garage

arclight thats what crews are for  when you get online join ts and hit join crew to get in our room.we keep trying to do missions but then we get lost in the insanity and have a blast. The first time we tried to do a mission a bounty popped and there were 5 arfcommers rushing through town in 5 different vehicles killing everything in sight and we ended up plunging the entire server into anarchy.

The only problem were having now is we cant find a whole lot of main missions for 6+ players.
View Quote

I still can't find my headset for TS. I bought a headset years ago to play BF3 with the ARFcom crew and when that all fell apart I don't know what I did with it. I'd hate to buy another one then find my old one in a box somewhere.

I'll try to get on TS tonight even if I don't have a headset. At least then I'd be able to hear other people... other people not screaming the n word that is.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Off to look at prices on graphics cards.... I have a 650 or 660TI, I forget which, but it seems to struggle on higher settings for most games. Slapping in a bit more RAM probably wouldn't hurt either.
View Quote

I have a 670 FTW. Seems to be doing alright. No hiccups, everything looks solid. Could also help I have an i7-3770 processor and 8GB of ram.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I still can't find my headset for TS. I bought a headset years ago to play BF3 with the ARFcom crew and when that all fell apart I don't know what I did with it. I'd hate to buy another one then find my old one in a box somewhere.

I'll try to get on TS tonight even if I don't have a headset. At least then I'd be able to hear other people... other people not screaming the n word that is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a vent server, isn't that close to TS?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no vent sucks ts3 owns
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have a 670 FTW. Seems to be doing alright. No hiccups, everything looks solid. Could also help I have an i7-3770 processor and 8GB of ram.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have an 3rd Gen i5. As far as gaming goes the i7 vs i5 shouldn't make any difference since 99% of games can't/don't use hyperthreading. I have 8 gigs of RAM as well but I always meant to buy more.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Intel core I7-3770 @3.4Ghz

GTX 970

8 GB of g.skill ripjaw X at 1600Mhz

In game resolution of 1920x1080 and with all of my graphics settings it says it uses 2700mb out of 4000ish. It runs very smoothly when it runs, but those first couple of start ups just crash. The game freezes and the "This program has crashed" from windows comes up behind the frozen GTA screen so I have to alt+tab and click "close program"

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:05:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm downloading as we speak. Haven't played many pic games in a long time. Steam name is HammrSmashdFace.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:17:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Just realized all of the in game money for preordering goes to Franklin. WTF.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:34:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah story mode gets 500,000 of your million plus dollars
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is probably for the best, as Franklin has the least money of the three main characters over the scope of the single player game... and when you finally have the final heist loot and do the stock market manipulation missions all three have more money than god, so it all probably washes out in the end.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That is probably for the best, as Franklin has the least money of the three main characters over the scope of the single player game... and when you finally have the final heist loot and do the stock market manipulation missions all three have more money than god, so it all probably washes out in the end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It still should have went to online though i blew through the rest of the cash they gave me i would be on gta welfare if i hadnt had maxed all my weps ammo to 100000 and bought a tank 2 years ago when i played on 360.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#37]
That actually brings up a question I was asking myself a few nights ago: where can you actually use, say, a tank that you buy online outside of just driving around in it in roaming mode?

Every mission I've played won't even let you use your player car or anything besides a basic handgun. I know I'm still early in the game, but the vast majority of the online purchases aside from ammunition seem to be a waste of money just put there for the sake of being there. I understand all the balancing issues as what fun would the game be if you were level 6 like I am and some level 120 bastard shows up in a tank with infinite rocket launcher ammo. But still, there seems to be very little reason to buy much of anything in the game. Get your outfit the way you want it, get weapons as they unlock and you are pretty much set. All the cars and property seem to just be there for your own vanity.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That actually brings up a question I was asking myself a few nights ago: where can you actually use, say, a tank that you buy online outside of just driving around in it in roaming mode?

Every mission I've played won't even let you use your player car or anything besides a basic handgun. I know I'm still early in the game, but the vast majority of the online purchases aside from ammunition seem to be a waste of money just put there for the sake of being there. I understand all the balancing issues as what fun would the game be if you were level 6 like I am and some level 120 bastard shows up in a tank with infinite rocket launcher ammo. But still, there seems to be very little reason to buy much of anything in the game. Get your outfit the way you want it, get weapons as they unlock and you are pretty much set. All the cars and property seem to just be there for your own vanity.
View Quote

Have you bought a garage yet? When you buy a garage, you get access to a mechanic that fixes your cars for free and you can call to deliver them to you. All the missions (excluding heists) will let you call in whatever you want. When you buy a tank or attack helo or whatever, you get access to pegasus which you can use to call your assets in. I don't know how many missions I've done with my buzzard/tank...it makes making money easy.

Now if you're talking about the PVP things like last team standing/team deathmatch, it's a little different. You can pretty much only use your owned weapons. But who plays GTA for PVP shit anyways?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#39]
The PVP crap is about all I have available to me at level 6... unless I want to jerk off playing tennis or something goofy like that.

I bought a condo and a garage, which houses my single car. All the good cars that I want to steal the game won't let me steal, it forces me to buy them... which kind of defeats the purpose of naming a game "grand theft auto"... they should have named it "conspicuous consumption the game: criminal consumerism".

I guess I'm too accustomed to the single player game where if you see it, you take it... then if it gets blown up, who cares go steal another.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The PVP crap is about all I have available to me at level 6... unless I want to jerk off playing tennis or something goofy like that.

I bought a condo and a garage, which houses my single car. All the good cars that I want to steal the game won't let me steal, it forces me to buy them... which kind of defeats the purpose of naming a game "grand theft auto"... they should have named it "conspicuous consumption the game: criminal consumerism".

I guess I'm too accustomed to the single player game where if you see it, you take it... then if it gets blown up, who cares go steal another.
View Quote

Hmmm mp sounds lame. I'll check it out this weekend though, just send in invite to jinxsters.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hmmm mp sounds lame. I'll check it out this weekend though, just send in invite to jinxsters.
View Quote

That's the trick though, I don't think that MP is supposed to be this lame... I think not playing with a crew is what makes it lame. My problem is that I can never seem to sync up with the crew, so I wind up at the kids table with all the stunted MP activities.

I figure this weekend is my best chance to finally link up and do some crimes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MP is the best part of the game. The reason for the "you can't steal that" is because cockstar wants to sell shark cards.

You need to find someone to carry you through a contact mission or 12.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Im still annoyed. Apparently, in addition to unlocking more powerful weapons, vehicles, and armor, higher level players also take reduced damage (strength stat) AND have a significantly higher health cap (per level). This games leveling system makes it WOW with cars. Engaged (got the drop on) some level 70 shitbucket last night and, after 6-8 hits from my assault rifle, one (ONE!) of his spray and prey luck-bullets hit me and ended it.

Better weapons? Fine. AI help? Fine. Fucking bulletproof armor covering an entire car? Fine. Nothing game breaking when it comes to skill. Triple health boosts and damage reduction? Fuck that. Might as well ask everyone what their rank is and just suicide if its more than 10 over mine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Crap, so higher strength gives better damage reduction?

Looks like I'm going to be playing a lot of tennis and golf then.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Im still annoyed. Apparently, in addition to unlocking more powerful weapons, vehicles, and armor, higher level players also take reduced damage (strength stat) AND have a significantly higher health cap (per level). This games leveling system makes it WOW with cars. Engaged (got the drop on) some level 70 shitbucket last night and, after 6-8 hits from my assault rifle, one (ONE!) of his spray and prey luck-bullets hit me and ended it.

Better weapons? Fine. AI help? Fine. Fucking bulletproof armor covering an entire car? Fine. Nothing game breaking when it comes to skill. Triple health boosts and damage reduction? Fuck that. Might as well ask everyone what their rank is and just suicide if its more than 10 over mine.
View Quote

Not being a dick when I say this, but learn how to headshot. Headshots are pretty much one hit kills no matter what level.

Also, controlled bursts. 3-4 shots max.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not being a dick when I say this, but learn how to headshot. Headshots are pretty much one hit kills no matter what level.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not really an accuracy issue - I'm a pretty competent point hands clicker. I'm sure headshots make a big difference but they're not going to happen from a vehicle or at a distance of 50m+ where the aiming dot is bigger than the target :). Someone did some testing... Looks like one AR hit center mass on a low level player, 4 on a high level.

I guess I'll grind out the shooting skill so that my player doesnt suck it up even when I'm doing my part!
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Its not really an accuracy issue - I'm a pretty competent point hands clicker. I'm sure headshots make a big difference but they're not going to happen from a vehicle or at a distance of 50m+ where the aiming dot is bigger than the target :). Someone did some testing... Looks like one AR hit center mass on a low level player, 4 on a high level.

I guess I'll grind out the shooting skill so that my player doesnt suck it up even when I'm doing my part!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another hint: switch to the complex reticle. And set it so that you can aim without firing for drivebys.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not hard to build up your stats to compete. If you want strength /stamina go to the gym or ride a bike around town.

You want to up your shooting skills go to the gun range or play tdm.

Wanna up your driving skills drive around town or compete in pub races.

As for players being harder to kill im a level 80 and even low level people give us a fight if there quick on their feet and use some tactics but all in all with the bullet proof vests and helmets in ample supply we all gotta aim for the head and spray its never an easy kill unless someones not paying attention or they just suck.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can use your personal vehicles in any regular mission that involves you driving somwhere so they are pretty useful especially when you have bullet proof tires and turbos when your chasing down moving targets.

Also as stryker said you can also call in your special cars and planes for missions.

Lol, if you ever do hook up with us we will rank you up pretty quickly i played with al bundy yesterday morning and he jumped 5 levels in 2 hours plus you earn 200 rp every 10 minutes of cruising with friends plus you rank up in the crew so you can buy more crew oriented gear.

hell we even rank up just screwing around because well get bored and roll around gunning people down they'll get pissed start killing others and the server turns into complete anarchy, bounties start flying ,hours start passing like minutes before we know it cops are everywhere and you notice all 30 people are in a 4 square block radius shooting everything in sight.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You can use your personal vehicles in any regular mission that involves you driving somwhere so they are pretty useful especially when you have bullet proof tires and turbos when your chasing down moving targets.

Also as stryker said you can also call in your special cars and planes for missions.

Lol, if you ever do hook up with us we will rank you up pretty quickly i played with al bundy yesterday morning and he jumped 5 levels in 2 hours plus you earn 200 rp every 10 minutes of cruising with friends plus you rank up in the crew so you can buy more crew oriented gear.

hell we even rank up just screwing around because well get bored and roll around gunning people down they'll get pissed start killing others and the server turns into complete anarchy, bounties start flying ,hours start passing like minutes before we know it cops are everywhere and you notice all 30 people are in a 4 square block radius shooting everything in sight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that sounds fun. I have to work out and mow the lawn. After that I'll play some MP, if anyone is down.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top