Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2014 12:44:39 PM EDT
Anyone playing it? Steam has it on sale for 25% off. As a huge Fallout fan, this is of great interest to me. Especially since it was developed by Brian Fargo.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I like it a lot.  I would recommend doing a couple of "practice" run throughs to try to get a feel for how you want to build your team.  Maybe it is just because I have never been into the "hardcore rpg's" but I am not really a big fan of having to make that many game altering decisions before you even start playing.  You can literally set yourself up for failure before the game even starts.

A couple of tips from me (I am not pro.)  Don't try to make anybody in your team a jack of all trades.  There are more skills available than team members, but don't let that tempt you into wanting to cover all of the bases.  The only way to really be successful in the game is to assign everybody a specialty, and to maximize those specialties each for the respective character.
The only exeption to that role is that I gave everybody a medic point so they are all capable of healing one another (but I still have a full time Medic.)

Great game though.  The combat feels almost identical to Xcom.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#2]
been playing it on and off for awhile.

It's super fun.  Don't know how much bigger it is now after the release, but beta was pretty big.  

You'll get your money out of it for sure.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Its fun, and can be tough at times. Make sure to read your dialogues, and don't bother with prerolled characters
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Almost bought it but, gotta hold off buying any games until after Xmas LOL
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Almost bought it but, gotta hold off buying any games until after Xmas LOL
View Quote

Tis the season for the steam sale O' Strykewolf. Gabe hath said unto thee, go forth and trade your coins for video games, at massively discounted prices, for there is no sin greater than to not purchase from steam during this time of giving.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I really liked it, it was what I hoped Fallout 3 would have been.

It is pretty buggy though, but I think they fixed a lot of that since I played through.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It is pretty buggy though, but I think they fixed a lot of that since I played through.
View Quote
I know that it had taxed the shit out of my laptop to play, but now after the release and everything has been updated it runs great. which leads me to believe they cleaned up a lot of the code and issues.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I know that it had taxed the shit out of my laptop to play, but now after the release and everything has been updated it runs great. which leads me to believe they cleaned up a lot of the code and issues.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, my PC is pretty old, but the system requirements were ridiculous considering the end product.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Went ahead bought it. I'll need a new computer to run it better, as it's laggy as shit even at the lowest settings.

Beautiful game, but it still has a lot off work to be done on it. Over the last couple days, I've plugged along, and restarted a handful of times and respeced my rangers according to what I know will be coming up in the first half of the game. So far I've found that a couple skills are pretty useless (like animal whispering. Da fuq?). Combat is well thought out, but I've had a couple glitches where I can't get the target cursor to come up when trying to shoot some one. Also, it think the info text for the M14 is wrong in regards to it's jam rate (listed as 2%) as that motherfucker is a jam-o-matic, and I chuck it for the M16 as soon as possible. I think the devs need to fuck with the heavy weapons as well. I should not have a 16lb M2 chambered in 5.56 as a starting weapon. I mean, what the fuck?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:14:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Went ahead bought it. I'll need a new computer to run it better, as it's laggy as shit even at the lowest settings.

Beautiful game, but it still has a lot off work to be done on it. Over the last couple days, I've plugged along, and restarted a handful of times and respeced my rangers according to what I know will be coming up in the first half of the game. So far I've found that a couple skills are pretty useless (like animal whispering. Da fuq?). Combat is well thought out, but I've had a couple glitches where I can't get the target cursor to come up when trying to shoot some one. Also, it think the info text for the M14 is wrong in regards to it's jam rate (listed as 2%) as that motherfucker is a jam-o-matic, and I chuck it for the M16 as soon as possible. I think the devs need to fuck with the heavy weapons as well. I should not have a 16lb M2 chambered in 5.56 as a starting weapon. I mean, what the fuck?
View Quote

Heavy weapons was a disappointingly useless skill given the weight of HWs, scarcity of ammo, and unimpressive damage. AW on burst seems to do more damage with less cost. I ended up with mostly AW users with energy weapons as a backup skill. The rest of my guys were a mix of snipers and shotgunners. Loved that Pancor Jackhammer.

Skills could definitely use some tweaking. Some were useless and others had way too much overlap. Shouldn't need lockpick, safecracking, computer science, perception, alarm disarming, and demolitions. Too many skills for one good thief character, especially when a stick of dynamite does the trick most of the time. Could have cut out at least two of those and added a stealth/sneak and pickpocket skill.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#11]
So is this like Fallout 1&2 or more like Fallout: Tactics?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:38:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm being a cheap bastard and waiting for it to get cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:41:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

So is this like Fallout 1&2 or more like Fallout: Tactics?
View Quote
Both?

there is no set "main" character, but there's more of a big story like 1 and 2.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:27:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Heavy weapons was a disappointingly useless skill given the weight of HWs, scarcity of ammo, and unimpressive damage. AW on burst seems to do more damage with less cost. I ended up with mostly AW users with energy weapons as a backup skill. The rest of my guys were a mix of snipers and shotgunners. Loved that Pancor Jackhammer.

Skills could definitely use some tweaking. Some were useless and others had way too much overlap. Shouldn't need lockpick, safecracking, computer science, perception, alarm disarming, and demolitions. Too many skills for one good thief character, especially when a stick of dynamite does the trick most of the time. Could have cut out at least two of those and added a stealth/sneak and pickpocket skill.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had to split my thief into to characters because of that. I also found a annoying bug with the demo skill today. Every time I try to dearm a landmine, my toon steps on the fucking thing setting it off, and THEN attempts to disarm it, either succeeding and giving me XP, or not. I haven't had a crit failure on a disarmed mine so I don't know if it trys to blow up again or not, but it is really fucking annoying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top