Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2014 4:04:28 AM EDT
I have a BenQ RL2455HM monitor which has a 75Hz refresh rate.   I was in the stream of a professional CS player the other night.  I asked him directly how noticeable the difference between the two was.  He told me the difference was night and day.  

Has anyone here had experience with both?    Is it worth upgrading?   I don't mind upgrading because the price difference between the two isn't massive.   The problem would be selling this one and shipping it safely.  I would probably have to buy 50 bucks worth of packing materials before I felt safe sending it...   Unfortunately, I don't have the box anymore.   I also hate selling on ebay now.. too many scammers.  

If there really is that big of a difference I will probably try to find a way to unload this one and upgrade.  I just thought I would get some first hand experiences before I went through the trouble.  My connection isn't all that great, and my skill level is even worse.   If what I am hearing about the difference is true I could probably use that advantage.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I have my 1440p monitor overclocked to 110hz and can clearly see the difference between it and a 60hz monitor, so I'd guess that there is a similar difference between 75 and 144 hz.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have a high end video card yes if not then no.

When I first built my rig and was only using one 780TI and I was getting horrible screen tearing on a 37' 60 Hz samsung tv and an old dell 60 Hz 15" inch monitor I borrowed. The picture wasn't at all what you would expect from running a top of the line graphics card nor what would justify the price of the card. I then bought three Asus 24" 144hz monitors with a 1ms response time and not only did it clear up the screen tearing I could see every blade of grass on bf4 I could see people running miles away. Also at least in my experience I could detect movement alot quicker no matter how brief it was.

When you pick up a monitor you need to look at more then the refresh rate that's only part of the equation IE most of these 4k monitors only run at 60hz yet their ultra high def.

You gotta get a monitor that has the best balance of  Pixel density, refresh rate, and response times.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I am not running I high end GPU.   I have a Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 ti.  

I haven't noticed any issues with the picture, but I also don't play any games that are graphics intensive.  I upgraded this computer to mainly play Counter Strike, and the people I talked to said the newer monitors with faster refresh rates make all the difference in the world.  

My monitor has the 75Hz refresh rate, 1ms GTG response time,  1920x1080 resolution.  

Obviously, if my GPU makes the difference in refresh rate moot then I will save my money and keep the one I have.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#4]
If I'm remembering right, with a 75Hz display, your video card would have to be able to produce more than 75 frames per second for the display to be a bottleneck.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am not running I high end GPU.   I have a Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 ti.  

I haven't noticed any issues with the picture, but I also don't play any games that are graphics intensive.  I upgraded this computer to mainly play Counter Strike, and the people I talked to said the newer monitors with faster refresh rates make all the difference in the world.  

My monitor has the 75Hz refresh rate, 1ms GTG response time,  1920x1080 resolution.  

Obviously, if my GPU makes the difference in refresh rate moot then I will save my money and keep the one I have.
View Quote

Well a 750ti should be fine for 144hz in CS.  You should be playing that game on the lowest graphics settings anyway.  CS is also the most important game to have high refresh rate monitor.  You will notice the difference even just doing things in windows.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If I'm remembering right, with a 75Hz display, your video card would have to be able to produce more than 75 frames per second for the display to be a bottleneck.
View Quote

Correct.  OP, you should download fraps and see what your fps from the card is.  If its significantly more than 75 fps, then going to a higher refresh rate might be good.  Ideally you'd match your monitor refresh rate as closely as possible to your graphics card fps.  So you might be better served with a 120hz monitor if your card can't push 144.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Correct.  OP, you should download fraps and see what your fps from the card is.  If its significantly more than 75 fps, then going to a higher refresh rate might be good.  Ideally you'd match your monitor refresh rate as closely as possible to your graphics card fps.  So you might be better served with a 120hz monitor if your card can't push 144.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or since he mainly plays cs he can just type net_graph 1 or cl_showfps 1 in the console.  Curious op, what is your mm rank?

Eta: make sure you have vsync turned off.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Or since he mainly plays cs he can just type net_graph 1 or cl_showfps 1 in the console.  Curious op, what is your mm rank?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will check how many frames I am getting currently later tonight.  How do I turn Vsync off?   Is that in the nvidia control panel or on the computer settings?  

I am assuming by mm rank you mean in CS?  I am not ranked.  I am not really good enough to play competitive yet.  I am just trying to deathmatch a lot and occasionally play a casual here and there.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I will check how many frames I am getting currently later tonight.  How do I turn Vsync off?   Is that in the nvidia control panel or on the computer settings?  

I am assuming by mm rank you mean in CS?  I am not ranked.  I am not really good enough to play competitive yet.  I am just trying to deathmatch a lot and occasionally play a casual here and there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can force it off in nvidia control panel (my preferred method) or turn it off in the game options.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:34:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I hope you all can forgive the fact that I am a complete n00b in terms of PC gaming.

However, I am having trouble getting console to come up in game.  I noticed it was mapped to the " ' " key in the settings so I changed it to "p" because I saw it wasn't being used, and I thought it would easier to hit in game.

Can I not do that?   I can't get that grey console screen to come up no matter what I do.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:39:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I hope you all can forgive the fact that I am a complete n00b in terms of PC gaming.

However, I am having trouble getting console to come up in game.  I noticed it was mapped to the " ' " key in the settings so I changed it to "p" because I saw it wasn't being used, and I thought it would easier to hit in game.

Can I not do that?   I can't get that grey console screen to come up no matter what I do.
View Quote

You have to enable developer console in the game settings.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:43:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, thanks... That worked.   I used the cl_showfps 1 command.   It put the frames per second up in the left hand corner.   The numbers were moving so fast that it was hard to see what I was actually getting.  However, it seemed that my FPS was mostly between 100-200 fps.  Occasionally, it would drop down a little lower.  I think I saw 75 and 90- something at one point.   Also, I saw it go as high as 300 when the game was sort of idling with nothing going on.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:42:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ok, thanks... That worked.   I used the cl_showfps 1 command.   It put the frames per second up in the left hand corner.   The numbers were moving so fast that it was hard to see what I was actually getting.  However, it seemed that my FPS was mostly between 100-200 fps.  Occasionally, it would drop down a little lower.  I think I saw 75 and 90- something at one point.   Also, I saw it go as high as 300 when the game was sort of idling with nothing going on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are looking for an average, not the extreme highs and lows.  I'm not sure if CS can record an FPS average for a session?  Maybe moklakins can answer that.  But generally, I'd look at the FPS counter and see what appears to be about average - it doesn't need to be a scientific test, and generally you can get a pretty good idea of what's "average" by just running around in a match and keeping an eye on the counter.  If you are pretty consistently getting 150ish FPS or more on average (not counting the occasional slowdown), then a 144hz monitor would be a good idea.

Also remember that if you are going to upgrade to a 144hz monitor try to also get one with an extremely fast response time, like 1 or 2 milliseconds, so that those extra frames don't go to waste via lag.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:26:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You are looking for an average, not the extreme highs and lows.  I'm not sure if CS can record an FPS average for a session?  Maybe moklakins can answer that.  But generally, I'd look at the FPS counter and see what appears to be about average - it doesn't need to be a scientific test, and generally you can get a pretty good idea of what's "average" by just running around in a match and keeping an eye on the counter.  If you are pretty consistently getting 150ish FPS or more on average (not counting the occasional slowdown), then a 144hz monitor would be a good idea.

Also remember that if you are going to upgrade to a 144hz monitor try to also get one with an extremely fast response time, like 1 or 2 milliseconds, so that those extra frames don't go to waste via lag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, thanks..  It is just really hard to see what the numbers are.   I can tell whether the FPS is in the 100's or 200's, but what the average actually is would be hard to tell unless I can slow them down.  If there was a way to show an average that would be great.  It seems to be moving much faster than other FPS displays I have seen.  I might try to tinker with other methods to get a better idea of what it is.  

ETA:  The net_graph command seems to be a lot better so I will try that one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:26:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Using the net graph it looks like I am averaging about 120 fps.    Of course, as soon as I put that net graph on the game started having problems.    My player just starts vibrating on screen and won't move forward at normal speed to the point where it is unplayable.   The only thing I changed was adding the net_graph.  

So now I have uninstalled the game so I can download it again.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:35:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Figured out the problem is my keyboard.  My new Ducky Shine 3 doesn't work either.  I put my old keyboard back on, which is wireless, and it worked just fine.  

Is it possible that keyboards like the ducky shine and the corsair RGB won't work with my older computer even though I meet the minimum specs?   Could my USB ports not be up to par?  I am assuming that my PC has USB 2.0.  The Corsair RGB came with 2 USB cords.  If you have USB 2.0 ports you have to use both of them, but it should have still worked.  

Think maybe I should try to find a mechanical keyboard without any lights or anything.  Maybe that is it.. I don't know.

ETA:  Sorry for the multiple posts.   I didn't want it to get confusing by combining them together.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#17]

144hz monitor will be smooth as glass. But it depends on your system too.

If your graphics cards can't keep up, then you won't get 144hz.

My free (old) 17" dell monitors are 75hz. When playing Arma 3 with everything maxed out, I get 30-60 fps depending on certain conditions and areas, and I have 2 GTX 780 Ti SC cards in SLI that have a slight overclock.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

My free (old) 17" dell monitors are 75hz. When playing Arma 3 with everything maxed out, I get 30-60 fps depending on certain conditions and areas, and I have 2 GTX 780 Ti SC cards in SLI that have a slight overclock.

Shouldn't you be getting tearing like a motherfucker with 75hz while only getting 30-65fps?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shouldn't you be getting tearing like a motherfucker with 75hz while only getting 30-65fps?

Not really. If I do, I don't notice it.

BF 4 and CS:GO run at 75hz no problem Arma 2 also runs pretty smoothly at 70-75hz. Arma 3 is very graphic intensive

Also keep in mind that I have 3 monitors in Suround

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Figured out the problem is my keyboard.  My new Ducky Shine 3 doesn't work either.  I put my old keyboard back on, which is wireless, and it worked just fine.  

Is it possible that keyboards like the ducky shine and the corsair RGB won't work with my older computer even though I meet the minimum specs?   Could my USB ports not be up to par?  I am assuming that my PC has USB 2.0.  The Corsair RGB came with 2 USB cords.  If you have USB 2.0 ports you have to use both of them, but it should have still worked.  

Think maybe I should try to find a mechanical keyboard without any lights or anything.  Maybe that is it.. I don't know.

ETA:  Sorry for the multiple posts.   I didn't want it to get confusing by combining them together.
View Quote
Try plugging it in via the PS2 port (hopefully the keyboard came with a usb / ps2 adapter). This should make it work better, though the lights may not work.

And / or just order a cheap PCI USB 2.0 card.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Try plugging it in via the PS2 port (hopefully the keyboard came with a usb / ps2 adapter). This should make it work better, though the lights may not work.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think it came with an adapter.  So you are saying my PC may not have 2.0 ports?   Here is the thread that shows my PC:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_119/1661043_Is_it_worth_upgrading_an_old_ish_PC_to_play_one_or_two_games_.html&page=2

So I can put one of these adapters in the black PCI slot at the bottom?  Can I unplug one of the power cords going to my stock USB ports and plug it into USB card?  

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3AUSB%202.0%20PCI%20card
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't think it came with an adapter.  So you are saying my PC may not have 2.0 ports?   Here is the thread that shows my PC:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_119/1661043_Is_it_worth_upgrading_an_old_ish_PC_to_play_one_or_two_games_.html&page=2

So I can put one of these adapters in the black PCI slot at the bottom?  Can I unplug one of the power cords going to my stock USB ports and plug it into USB card?  

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3AUSB%202.0%20PCI%20card
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's possible that something isn't talking back and forth correctly.  Any USB card you buy SHOULD draw all its power from the motherboard, so you shouldn't have to connect anything else internally.

You just can't catch a break here.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's possible that something isn't talking back and forth correctly.  Any USB card you buy SHOULD draw all its power from the motherboard, so you shouldn't have to connect anything else internally.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, that has been my experience with PC's... just constant things I have to fiddle with.  

So even though there is a plug on the card I might not have to use it?    Does brand matter on USB PCI cards?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:32:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, that has been my experience with PC's... just constant things I have to fiddle with.  

So even though there is a plug on the card I might not have to use it?    Does brand matter on USB PCI cards?
View Quote

Well, you know what they say - the only constant in all your troubles is you.  

Honestly though, upgrading super old PCs are a pain in the ass.  And IIRC yours is pretty old.

Generally those USB cards will have a spot to plug the front USB header into.  Whether you do it or not depends on whether it works with what you are using it for already.  If it works with USB thumb drives and whatnot, no need to fix what isn't broken.  Most people plug the kb/m into the rear of the PC.

Brand doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:30:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Honestly though, upgrading super old PCs are a pain in the ass.  And IIRC yours is pretty old.

Generally those USB cards will have a spot to plug the front USB header into.  Whether you do it or not depends on whether it works with what you are using it for already.  If it works with USB thumb drives and whatnot, no need to fix what isn't broken.  Most people plug the kb/m into the rear of the PC.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well.. If that was honestly the case I wouldn't have spent the money trying to upgrade it the first place.    I am just going to scrap it.  I am not spending any more money on it.

This will just be a few hundred dollar lesson that I was absolutely correct in every way imaginable switching to macs....    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top