Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been considering one of the 970s. I have an r9 280x and the drivers haven't been very good at least for my card.  Any of you guys know of a card comparison thats out yet?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been considering one of the 970s. I have an r9 280x and the drivers haven't been very good at least for my card.  Any of you guys know of a card comparison thats out yet?
View Quote

There's a few that I've seen that have the 280x in the list.  Can't post any links right now, but check around for benchmark reviews.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Now looking at the MSI.

Sigh
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Now looking at the MSI.

Sigh
View Quote

What was wrong with the msi?

You should just get the asus.  It's where you are going anyway.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There's a few that I've seen that have the 280x in the list.  Can't post any links right now, but check around for benchmark reviews.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MSI GTX 970 vs some others:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/09/29/msi_geforce_gtx_970_gaming_4g_video_card_review/1
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now looking at the MSI.

Sigh

I hate making decisions like this.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have 2 EVGA GTX 780-Ti SC cards

Not worth the upgrade...or rather - sidegrade for me.
View Quote

Bro Dan, are they rattlecanned?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, I have an EVGA GTX 980 SC and NZXT X61 on backorder with Amazon. I'm OK with a reference card since I'll probably throw an X31 on the 980 eventually.

All of this is going into my NZXT S340 that gets here tomorrow!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ok, I have an EVGA GTX 980 SC and NZXT X61 on backorder with Amazon. I'm OK with a reference card since I'll probably throw an X31 on the 980 eventually.

All of this is going into my NZXT S340 that gets here tomorrow!
View Quote

Reference card is the best way to go.

Better cooling upgrade options.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a 780 on release day last year, but my main monitor is 2560x1600. Doesn't look like there's much gain to go to the 980, so I'll probably stay where I'm at for now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:14:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought a 780 on release day last year, but my main monitor is 2560x1600. Doesn't look like there's much gain to go to the 980, so I'll probably stay where I'm at for now.
View Quote

I've always heard that the price to performance ratio for upgrading GPUs isn't great unless you jump at least 2 GPU generations, generally speaking (I'm sure there are exceptions).  So by that metric unless you are currently running a 680 or lower, it's not worth it to upgrade to a 980.  The performance you gain won't be worth the price you pay. Especially if you have a 780, which is generally only what, 10% worse than a 980 on average?  Less if you overclock.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:42:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Still waiting on the Gigabyte 970 or MSI 970 to come back in stock...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#13]
780 users would still benefit if they are running ultra high rez or AA since the 980 has 4GB of vram instead of 3GB.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
780 users would still benefit if they are running ultra high rez or AA since the 980 has 4GB of vram instead of 3GB.
View Quote

I play Arma 3 on max/ultra everything. AA is maxed out. Arma is very graphics intensive.
The only problem I get is on the Altis map. I can't max out view distance and render distance (when flying) because there is too much going on with the texture and detail of that huge map.

However, with the latest driver that came out for the 780s, my FPS has gotten much better.

IIRC, these are the max view distance settings:

View Distance: 12000
Render Distance: 9000
Shadow distance: 200

And I have mine set at:

So not bad
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Most of the people I see using 1440p don't even bother using AA, or at least not much.  Maybe 2-4x.  The extra pixels help smooth out the picture much more than the AA does.

The anisotropic filtering is the real bitch for GPUs to handle though.  That's where you'll really start to see major drops.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#16]
So on the Newegg app under desktop graphics cards I did a power search to single out the 980's and I see an option for an Nvidia GTX 960. Any word on these yet?

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Middle-late this month is what I've read.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So on the Newegg app under desktop graphics cards I did a power search to single out the 980's and I see an option for an Nvidia GTX 960. Any word on these yet?

Middle-late this month is what I've read.

I'm wondering if they will drop at the same time as a ti version of the 980.  Who knows.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Just ordered that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#20]

With a cooler like that, it would be criminal not to overclock that bad boy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I plan on cooking it like a....

Oh, I can't say it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:03:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Oh, I can't say it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I can't say it.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:11:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Ordered an EVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0 and it will be here on the 16th. Decided to save some money and only get the 970. Meh, I'll SLI if I feel the need for more frames down the road.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:18:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ordered an EVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0 and it will be here on the 16th. Decided to save some money and only get the 970. Meh, I'll SLI if I feel the need for more frames down the road.
View Quote

I'm just checking, but you are aware of the heatpipe misalignment problematic to the ACXs right?
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evga-geforce-gtx-970-acx-has-misaligned-gpu-vs-heatpipes.html

On my end, Amazon shipped my reference design MSI 980card. Will be here later today.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm just checking, but you are aware of the heatpipe misalignment problematic to the ACXs right?
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evga-geforce-gtx-970-acx-has-misaligned-gpu-vs-heatpipes.html

On my end, Amazon shipped my reference design MSI 980card. Will be here later today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I'm aware. Temps don't go above 75* right now and my case has bad airflow due to front rad. I have Newegg premier until the 23rd so I might RMA the thing and get a 980 if I'm not totally happy, which I mostly am.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Been running the Gigabyte for a few days now, no coil while good temps.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

970 or 980? What are your temps? I'm contemplating putting on an X31 for the 970.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

970 or 980? What are your temps? I'm contemplating putting on an X31 for the 970.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll let you know when I play a game next time.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Just sitting idle, browsing the net, it is running 29c as per Open Hardware Monitor.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just sitting idle, browsing the net, it is running 29c as per Open Hardware Monitor.
View Quote

Do you happen to have OC temps under load yet?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haven't done it yet, sorry.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If/when you do, could you post them?  I'm curious to see how well that cooler works, never having used that brand.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If/when you do, could you post them?  I'm curious to see how well that cooler works, never having used that brand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give me a few days, I generally post from my phone as I'm rarely home.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#35]
My MSI GTX 980 (reference design) is keeping well around 75°C, no coil whine, and rather silent for a blower.

Able to keep vsync with 3x native resolution DSR  in the Star Citizen hangar module, with occasional drops to 52 FPS or so. Modest 108Mhz overclock. Plenty of OC headroom yet to be tested.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry I haven't been able to do the temps.

My goal is tomorrow.

This is what its running right now...

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Ordered 2 EVGA 970 superclocked models, with the blower.  

I think the heatpipe being "out of alignment" is blown out of proportion.  I also wanted a unit with the blower fan like the reference model, I have an SLI rig with an air cooled CPU and 5 HDDs.  I'm not crazy about how the other models blow the air around your case.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:05:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ordered 2 EVGA 970 superclocked models, with the blower.  

I think the heatpipe being "out of alignment" is blown out of proportion.  I also wanted a unit with the blower fan like the reference model, I have an SLI rig with an air cooled CPU and 5 HDDs.  I'm not crazy about how the other models blow the air around your case.
View Quote

EVGA has addressed that isue, from what I have read it is not a problem.

I will post what stats I can Monday night, I have a Gigabyte 970 Gaming on the way. This series of card really does look like the best bang for the buck out there right now.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top