Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/24/2014 1:32:48 PM EDT
Who has one or who is going to get 1 or 2?

I think I'll pick up a Gigabyte 980 or EVGA 980 once the non-reference models are release next month.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#1]
My current SLI 670's seem to perform well enough still for me.

Unless GTA5 totally buttholes them I plan to wait for the next gen after the 900.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Read an article about evga I think cooler not align with the actual gpu.

Awesome power efficiency by nvidia.

Amd is announcing something tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Tempting.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 2 EVGA GTX 780-Ti SC cards

Not worth the upgrade...or rather - sidegrade for me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I did read that. I believe the problem so far has been associated with the 970.

Upon further inspection I think I'll go with the ASUS Strix GTX 980.

Upgrading from 2x GTX 560 Ti in SLI.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Non referenced?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Might get one at some point.  Gets a few more frames than a 780 while using a heck of a lot less power.  Driving down the prices of other models down significantly, too.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Might get one at some point.  Gets a few more frames than a 780 while using a heck of a lot less power.  Driving down the prices of other models down significantly, too.
View Quote
780-Ti SCs haven't dropped in price

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Also heard people are blowing it out of proportion....

I'll wait for the reviews.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:28:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I should have said "will drive down."  After all, the 980 outdoes the 780ti from what I've read, and at a much lower price and power draw.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, I should have said "will drive down."  After all, the 980 outdoes the 780ti from what I've read, and at a much lower price and power draw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

780 Ti DCU II

$449 after mail in rebate. The prices of 780's are coming down quite a bit already to make room for new product.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 980 is marginally better. Probably about 8% better.

I'll wait and see what the 980 Ti has to offer.

I'd really like to sport a couple Titan-Z cards
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a GTX 760 for now which is working alright for me at 1440p in everything. I'll probably pick up a couple of GTX 980s eventually or the refresh in anticipation of Star Citizen.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Couple of reviews on one of the new EVGA cards.

On newegg.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#16]
My two 780's work just fine. I usually get the high end of a generation which holds me over for a couple years.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My two 780's work just fine. I usually get the high end of a generation which holds me over for a couple years.
View Quote

Yeah I'm way behind (560 Ti SLI) so I need an upgrade badly. A 980 non-reference should hold me over for a looooong time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah I'm way behind (560 Ti SLI) so I need an upgrade badly. A 980 non-reference should hold me over for a looooong time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The review above runs a close second behind the 980, for $200 ish less.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:38:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just something to consider - I'm seeing 780 (non-ti) cards popping up for the same price, or even less, than 970s now.  In fact, newegg has the highest end (IIRC it launched last summer at ~$7-800ish) Asus OCed 780 with a non-reference PCB & cooler for $295 after discount code and MIR (and you get a Borderlands presequel code to boot).  That's $50+ dollars cheaper than OCed 970s.  The 780 appears to generally get about 10 frames better performance than the 970 at stock/equally OCed specs, so for a 1440 or 4k monitor where you want to squeeze out all the frames you can, picking up a 780 on the cheap here before they all go out of stock might be the better option.

On the other hand, the 970 uses less power, has an extra gig of vram and also does full DX12, while earlier card series like the 780 apparently won't be able to run certain DX12 features.  So for the long-term future, the 970 is probably your better bet.

The EVGA ACX 2.0 cooler has been getting poor reviews wherever I'm seeing it, apparently because of build quality and perceived flimsiness.  People are saying it comes without a backplate, oddly enough.  I'm looking pretty closely at the Asus Strix model right now, myself.  A bit lower on the base clock (Asus cards always seem to have pretty lame clocks from the factory), but the cooler looks hella efficient, to the point that the fans will completely shut off when not under heavy load.  Asus non-reference cards have always OCed really well while still staying cool and quiet, so I think I could push that rather anemic clock up quite a bit without hurting anything.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:50:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just something to consider - I'm seeing 780 (non-ti) cards popping up for the same price, or even less, than 970s now.  In fact, newegg has the highest end (IIRC it launched last summer at ~$7-800ish) Asus OCed 780 with a non-reference PCB & cooler for $295 after discount code and MIR (and you get a Borderlands presequel code to boot).  That's $50+ dollars cheaper than OCed 970s.  The 780 appears to generally get about 10 frames better performance than the 970 at stock/equally OCed specs, so for a 1440 or 4k monitor where you want to squeeze out all the frames you can, picking up a 780 on the cheap here before they all go out of stock might be the better option.

On the other hand, the 970 uses less power, has an extra gig of vram and also does full DX12, while earlier card series like the 780 apparently won't be able to run certain DX12 features.  So for the long-term future, the 970 is probably your better bet.

The EVGA ACX 2.0 cooler has been getting poor reviews wherever I'm seeing it, apparently because of build quality and perceived flimsiness.  People are saying it comes without a backplate, oddly enough.  I'm looking pretty closely at the Asus Strix model right now, myself.  A bit lower on the base clock (Asus cards always seem to have pretty lame clocks from the factory), but the cooler looks hella efficient, to the point that the fans will completely shut off when not under heavy load.  Asus non-reference cards have always OCed really well while still staying cool and quiet, so I think I could push that rather anemic clock up quite a bit without hurting anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The EVGA FTW seems to not have the problems you described... maybe a little bit nosier than the others, but it prove to be cooler than the other cards.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I am going to look into the Gigabyte one... as a comparison.

Its too bad, I generally always bought EVGA.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

The FTW might well have a backplate or better stuff.  I'm not seeing it for sale yet so who knows.  I was only going off the other 970s with the ACX cooler on it.  And supposedly EVGA was telling at least some people that they would ship a backplate to them after the fact, so it might not be an issue long term anyway.  I'm certainly not trying to rain on anyone's parade here.  

I've used EVGA, Asus, and Gigabyte cards so far in the Nvidia line.  Some other AMD brands as well.  EVGA always seems to have the best warranties and customer support, but I've always preferred Asus' build quality.

Oh man, I just remembered that I had a BFGTech GTX260 a long time ago too.  I think they died a while ago though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The FTW might well have a backplate or better stuff.  I'm not seeing it for sale yet so who knows.  I was only going off the other 970s with the ACX cooler on it.  And supposedly EVGA was telling at least some people that they would ship a backplate to them after the fact, so it might not be an issue long term anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The FTW might well have a backplate or better stuff.  I'm not seeing it for sale yet so who knows.  I was only going off the other 970s with the ACX cooler on it.  And supposedly EVGA was telling at least some people that they would ship a backplate to them after the fact, so it might not be an issue long term anyway.

The FTW review is above. Don't know if it has a backplate?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't look like it from the photos.  People were complying on amazon and newegg that things were not quite rigid enough for their tastes, and that the cooler didn't seem to be attached very well..  I have no idea what they are like in the wild though.  And again, at least some people heard that EVGA was shipping backplates after the fact?  Since these cards are all so new, it's hard to say for sure right now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Whats the word on DX12? Is there anything in the pipe that is going to use it?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Whats the word on DX12? Is there anything in the pipe that is going to use it?
View Quote

Nothing major has been announced yet AFAIK.  That was part of some xbox push, IIRC.  And older gen cards down to (I believe) the 400 series will be patched to DX12 with driver updates.  From what I've read certain niche features of DX12 won't run on these older cards, however, most people won't utilize them anyway.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#28]
oops
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hey Voodoo, might want to check this out too before buying an EVGA 970 with a non-reference cooler.  Looks like somebody fucked up the design.

970 cooler is misaligned
View Quote

Non reference? What's that?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey Voodoo, might want to check this out too before buying an EVGA 970 with a non-reference cooler.  Looks like somebody fucked up the design.

970 cooler is misaligned

Non stock, as in not the standard cooling design that Nvidia starts out with.  YOu can have non-reference PCBs as well, where companies use the original chip (970 in this case) but change the board it's sitting on.

Like this:

Reference card
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I plan on keeping my GTX 780 for the next several (4, probably) years. If you don't have a good card, these look like good upgrade options, but with video games being largely limited by what they can make work with this generation of consoles, I just don't see myself needing anything for a long ass time.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm currently running a EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked w/4G, it's pretty stable with a mild overclock so I'm not in any rush to upgrade yet.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I plan on keeping my GTX 780 for the next several (4, probably) years. If you don't have a good card, these look like good upgrade options, but with video games being largely limited by what they can make work with this generation of consoles, I just don't see myself needing anything for a long ass time.

View Quote

I think the bigger jump for PC gaming this gen will be higher resolutions rather than pure graphical fidelity.  That's where more and more powerful cards are still going to be useful.  Current cards like the 780 and the 970/980 series can of course max out settings of pretty much all games at 1080 and still hit the 60fps mark, but good luck maxing out and still hitting 60 at say 1440p or 4k resolutions.  Not even the Titan can do 60fps on 4k with maxed settings on many games.

So I think newer cards will still come out and still be really useful as we move into higher and higher resolutions over the next few years.  But for now you are right, it's kinda 6 of one, half-dozen of the other.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same boat.  Plan to keep my 780 for a couple years.  Runs 1440p great.  Maybe in about 4 years, I'll upgrade to multi 4K and buy a nice card to go with it.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Non stock, as in not the standard cooling design that Nvidia starts out with.  YOu can have non-reference PCBs as well, where companies use the original chip (970 in this case) but change the board it's sitting on.

Like this:

Reference card
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

970 cooler is misaligned

Like this:

Reference card

Are all EVGA 970 misaligned?  Or just the type in the article?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

970 cooler is misaligned

Like this:

Reference card

From some basic research I've been doing over the last few minutes, it appears that the ACX 1.0  (2.0 is the same cooler, just different fans) was designed for a different chip that had a larger die size, which is why it has the larger surface area.  No one is quite sure what chip; it might even have been for an AMD chip.  It sounds like this same issue occurred on the 700 series of card coolers as well.  

It sounds like EVGA is trying to save some R&D costs and use a one-size-fits-all approach here by using the same cooler for a bunch of different cards.  That's not necessarily a big issue, but it does mean that for the 970 at least that third heatpipe is almost useless, as it doesn't directly contact the die or the other heatpipes.  So when EVGA calls it a "3 heatpipe design" they are kinda full of shit.  It's really a 2 heatpipe cooler with a vestigal 3rd pipe that just kinda sits there.

It's why the 970 ACX models run hotter and louder than gthe MSI or Asus non-reference models, apparently.  Under load and overclocked, both of the other brands run both cooler and quieter than the ACX, which starts to have a hard time keeping up.

ETA:  to more directly answer your question, yes, all EVGA cards with the ACX cooler will be misaligned/poorly designed/not matching/whatever you want to call it.  The cooler is the same for all of them.  EVGA cards with the reference closed blower design are supposed to be fine, like the one I linked.  There's at least a couple of EVGA 970s with the blower on them.  OTOH, these blower designs tend to run a bit hotter and louder than cards with non-reference coolers.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

From some basic research I've been doing over the last few minutes, it appears that the ACX 1.0  (2.0 is the same cooler, just different fans) was designed for a different chip that had a larger die size, which is why it has the larger surface area.  No one is quite sure what chip; it might even have been for an AMD chip.  It sounds like this same issue occurred on the 700 series of card coolers as well.  

It sounds like EVGA is trying to save some R&D costs and use a one-size-fits-all approach here by using the same cooler for a bunch of different cards.  That's not necessarily a big issue, but it does mean that for the 970 at least that third heatpipe is almost useless, as it doesn't directly contact the die or the other heatpipes.  So when EVGA calls it a "3 heatpipe design" they are kinda full of shit.  It's really a 2 heatpipe cooler with a vestigal 3rd pipe that just kinda sits there.

It's why the 970 ACX models run hotter and louder than gthe MSI or Asus non-reference models, apparently.  Under load and overclocked, both of the other brands run both cooler and quieter than the ACX, which starts to have a hard time keeping up.

ETA:  to more directly answer your question, yes, all EVGA cards with the ACX cooler will be misaligned/poorly designed/not matching/whatever you want to call it.  The cooler is the same for all of them.  EVGA cards with the reference closed blower design are supposed to be fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

970 cooler is misaligned

Like this:

Reference card

ETA:  to more directly answer your question, yes, all EVGA cards with the ACX cooler will be misaligned/poorly designed/not matching/whatever you want to call it.  The cooler is the same for all of them.  EVGA cards with the reference closed blower design are supposed to be fine.

Now,  the FTW runs cooler than most other cards. But it is non referencend, correct?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Now,  the FTW runs cooler than most other cards. But it is non referencend, correct?
View Quote

Correct. It has the same (misaligned) ACX cooler as the rest of the non-reference EVGA models.

As for running cooler, I'd need to re-read that review you posted but I'm assuming that it runs cooler than the stock, reference blower designs, not other non-reference coolers.  Most reviews I'm reading are saying that the Asus Stryx and MSI gaming versions beat the EVGA ACX models  (including the FTW version) in both the temp and volume categories while under load or equally overclocked.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Correct. It has the same (misaligned) ACX cooler as the rest of the non-reference EVGA models.

As for running cooler, I'd need to re-read that review you posted but I'm assuming that it runs cooler than the stock, reference blower designs, not other non-reference coolers.  Most reviews I'm reading are saying that the Asus Stryx and MSI gaming versions beat the EVGA ACX models  (including the FTW version) in both the temp and volume categories while under load or equally overclocked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=14-125-684

I started looking at that one. Saw a review on guro3d and liked the results.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Yep, after reading the review again and looking at the noise and temps ratings, they are comparing it to a stock 970 with reference cooler (the blower design).

Compare it to other brands using a non-reference cooler of their own design like the DCII or Twin Frozr coolers and things are a bit different.  The EVGA design is the least efficient in that comparison.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Linky no worky?

ETA:  Got it to work.  Looks like a good design, and the Windforce cooler has always had great reviews whenever I've seen it.  Has a lower base clock, but all these newer cards have literally one-button overclocking now that is simple and safe, so you can push it up to the EVGA levels and still have a quieter and cooler card.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Linky no worky?

ETA:  Got it to work.  Looks like a good design.  Has a lower base clock, but all these newer cards have literally one-button overclocking now that is simple and safe, so you can push it up to the EVGA levels and still have a quieter and cooler card.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Linky no worky?

ETA:  Got it to work.  Looks like a good design.  Has a lower base clock, but all these newer cards have literally one-button overclocking now that is simple and safe, so you can push it up to the EVGA levels and still have a quieter and cooler card.

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125684&cm_re=GV-N970G1-_-14-125-684-_-Product
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#43]

Looks good to me.  Remember that I'm not a super expert in this though; gaming is just an after-hours hobby for me.  So I'd do as much other research as I could if I was you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Looks good to me.  Remember that I'm not a super expert in this though; gaming is just an after-hours hobby for me.  So I'd do as much other research as I could if I was you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I read the review on the guro3d  website, and the issues of temp and noise don't seem to exist in comparison to the evga.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/review-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-970-g1-gaming.html
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I read the review on the guro3d  website, and the issues of temp and noise don't seem to exist in comparison to the evga.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, sounds like it's running quieter.  The gigabyte cooler has always gotten great reviews.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yeah, sounds like it's running quieter.  The gigabyte cooler has always gotten great reviews.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just gotta wait for it to come back in stock..
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#47]
If this keeps up I'm gonna have to start working more OT to make up for the shortfall.  All these games coming out this fall and next spring, and a new line of cards too.  My wallet is crying hard.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If this keeps up I'm gonna have to start working more OT to make up for the shortfall.  All these games coming out this fall and next spring, and a new line of cards too.  My wallet is crying hard.
View Quote

Just wait till Steam has their next sale...
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm tempted, but don't really have an excuse to upgrade.  My 670 still runs everything I play fairly well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top