Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2014 11:57:51 AM EDT
I am just getting into playing CSGO.   I played a little a few months ago, but never really got into it enough to pay much attention to the inventories.  

Anyway, I was watching a player stream some of the gameplay.  I noticed that every once and awhile he would open these cases that he would get.  I thought that looked kind of fun so I bought three cases and keys so I could open some.   I had no idea at the time, but I guess I got this rare knife in the first case that I opened.  I asked a couple of people about it, and they went crazy saying it was worth $300-$400.   They also said that a lot of people collect rare items and stuff like that in the game.  I was told that people will pay a lot of money for certain things.  

I can't imagine spending that much on an item in a game.  I was told that a lot of people buy and trade all of this expensive rare stuff all the time.  I opened a few more cases after that and got run of the mill stuff like people usually get.  

Does anybody here collect stuff like that?   This isn't a for sale thread or anything.  I was just wondering if collectors spend a lot of money opening cases or if they just buy and trade rare stuff with others.  

I admit that it is kind of fun opening a couple cases every now and again.  However, it isn't so much fun when you end up with 3 Kami Five-Sevens...  
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll take it!!!

On one condition, does the knife work in Black Ops? The knifing in BO is so broken and I need a new one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah knife that looks like a rainbow is like $400. Butterfly knife I have seen from 400 to 1000.  I was actually thinking of playing last night but didn't maybe this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, the one I got is a factory new Karambit Fade.

I actually had more fun opening the cases I bought because I am horrible at the game..... Like really horrible.   Somehow I manage to do 6 damage with 87 hits.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#4]
No. I think I got my  $3.50 or so back from selling skins. Have some more on the market. But I'll take your knife if you don't want it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If I get a case I open it. Its no big deal to me. I've ended up with quite a collection while playing CS:GO although I wouldnt mind getting a knife. I got some pretty rare items. Sometimes its just cheaper to buy them on the market place than keep spending money to get them.

Case Simulator

Try that link to test your luck. And see how much you would spend on getting what you want.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I get a case I open it. Its no big deal to me. I've ended up with quite a collection while playing CS:GO although I wouldnt mind getting a knife. I got some pretty rare items. Sometimes its just cheaper to buy them on the market place than keep spending money to get them.

Case Simulator

Try that link to test your luck. And see how much you would spend on getting what you want.
View Quote

Well that is the thing... Literally, the very first case I ever opened in CS had that knife in it.   That's why the people I told were making such a big deal out of it.  

There is a guy who streams on twitch that just did an an experiment to see how much money it would take before he got a knife.  His name on Twitch is Lyric or something like that.   He spent something like $1,500 on cases and keys and never got a knife.  I guess that's why the collectors will pay a lot of money, because they never know how many cases it will take.

I spent $0.17 on the case and $2.00 on the key and got a knife on my first try.... lol  I bought two other cases with the case that had the knife in it.  They both had the regular stuff in it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#7]
nice! yah the knives are the money items, you lucked out big time, sell that shit and buy a bunch of games with the profit, (during a steam sale of course to make that money go even further :D)

the weapon crates in CS:GO is a copy of the team fortress 2 stuff basically, you have crates you can open with keys (that cost like 2$) and you have chances to unlock purple rated unusual hats, unusual hats depending on the style and the animation effect on it can go for 200-300$ as well.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#8]
There is an auction on ebay for the same knife that I have.   The starting bid was $800.00 and somebody actually bid on it.  That is just crazy.. And no, that is not my ebay account..  

I heard it is sort of easy to steal stuff like that through paypal because people get them to charge the card back.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:29:50 PM EDT
[#9]
As has been mentioned, I would sell the knife and live off the next 50 summer and winter sales like the son of gaben.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd sell that.  I've never understood why video game stuff like that is worth anything, but what do I know.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:39:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'd sell that.  I've never understood why video game stuff like that is worth anything, but what do I know.
View Quote

People will pay tons of money to go "LOOK AT THIS".
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I have likely opened 50+ cases and never received a knife. As you stated, they are exceptionally rare! Is it stattrak as well?
I recommend posting it for sale on the steam marketplace... starting at $350+.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have likely opened 50+ cases and never received a knife. As you stated, they are exceptionally rare! Is it stattrak as well?I recommend posting it for sale on the steam marketplace... starting at $350+.
View Quote

No, it is not a stat track.   I admit that getting a knife in my first case prompted me to open a few more..     However, the cases after that were 90% stuff in the blue category.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No, it is not a stat track.   I admit that getting a knife in my first case prompted me to open a few more..     However, the cases after that were 90% stuff in the blue category.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have likely opened 50+ cases and never received a knife. As you stated, they are exceptionally rare! Is it stattrak as well?I recommend posting it for sale on the steam marketplace... starting at $350+.

Yea who knows how much I've spent on keys. I play once in a blue moon now or get a blood lust urge for a firefight. Man just really jealous you got a knife.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#15]
forgot to mention, if you want you can post it for trade on http://csgolounge.com/

get rid of the knife, but in return get tons of skins you would like ($300+ dollars worth of inventory).

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#16]
i opened some cases yesturday for giggles 4 case in got the bayonet slaughter.  Gonna be selling it I think.  Sells on average for 300-400 but has been sold for as much as 1000.  Will be playing a crap load of games I guess.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:20:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
i opened some cases yesturday for giggles 4 case in got the bayonet slaughter.  Gonna be selling it I think.  Sells on average for 300-400 but has been sold for as much as 1000.  Will be playing a crap load of games I guess.
View Quote

Is it factory new?  I might be interested in trading knives with you if you are.   The reason they sell for 300-400 on steam is because I think steam limits your wallet at $400 at one time.  So people sell them for what they can get, not necessarily what they are worth.  At least that's what I heard.

I have been banned for trading for a week because I logged into steam from more than one device.  That ends this weekend I think so you would have to hold onto it until then.   If you aren't interested that's totally fine.

ETA:  It looks like they are both going for about the same on steam if they are factory new.  So it will be about the same value.   They only reason I am suggesting it is because you want to sell it anyway, and I prefer bayonets usually.

ETA #2:   lol.... I went into a pros stream from Cloud 9, and they pretty much laughed me out of the stream for even suggesting that a slaughter is worth as much as the fade.  They confirmed the only reason they sell for $400 is because that is the cap on steam... That goes for both knives.    

So apparently, I have no clue what anything is actually worth.  I hate being ignorant...  
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#18]
You should have laughed back at that guy from cloud 9 who got their collective asses handed to them and blew a lead like a bunch of dumbasses at the Colonge tournament.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top