Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2014 11:48:41 PM EDT
I had a G72GX years ago and loved it.  playd all the latest games on it (or atleasy latest up till diablo 3).  Unfortunately the GFX card went tits up.  I dont like to use the credit card and I dont game as much as i use to so buying new is kind of out of the question..  I "bought" the dell laptop i am currently using from my G/F (had to buy a new LCD screen since she cracked it). its good for internet and office but thats really about it.  Even trying to run youtube vids on 1080P are taxing (sound will first be off then video will start to skip/freeze) so i just use 720P and its fine.  

anywho, Ive been looking online for used G72gx's and found a few for around $150-300 (they restore to factory new default).  I almost pulled the trigger then I looked at a few other models and ran across the G75VW.  To me its light years ahead of the G72GX.  I can find them used for around 300-500.  Main question is should i just go with the G75?   As far as what do i want to do with the laptop.  Id like to play my games again.  Right now i mainly play BF4 on XBOX but i liked crysis and other shooters I had on PC.   Also, I am looking to go the STEAM route here soon for gaming.  would the G72 or G75 be able to do that without being to taxing?  Id be using the HDMI on the TV to the laptop and a xbox controller (or wireless mouse/keyboard).
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I had a G72GX years ago and loved it.  playd all the latest games on it (or atleasy latest up till diablo 3).  Unfortunately the GFX card went tits up.  I dont like to use the credit card and I dont game as much as i use to so buying new is kind of out of the question..  I "bought" the dell laptop i am currently using from my G/F (had to buy a new LCD screen since she cracked it). its good for internet and office but thats really about it.  Even trying to run youtube vids on 1080P are taxing (sound will first be off then video will start to skip/freeze) so i just use 720P and its fine.  

anywho, Ive been looking online for used G72gx's and found a few for around $150-300 (they restore to factory new default).  I almost pulled the trigger then I looked at a few other models and ran across the G75VW.  To me its light years ahead of the G72GX.  I can find them used for around 300-500.  Main question is should i just go with the G75?   As far as what do i want to do with the laptop.  Id like to play my games again.  Right now i mainly play BF4 on XBOX but i liked crysis and other shooters I had on PC.   Also, I am looking to go the STEAM route here soon for gaming.  would the G72 or G75 be able to do that without being to taxing?  Id be using the HDMI on the TV to the laptop and a xbox controller (or wireless mouse/keyboard).
View Quote

Specs?

CPU
GPU
?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#3]
G75 is the better option.  You may have to reduce the resolution, but it should run whatever you want to play.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I enjoy mine.  It has to be plugged in a lot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I enjoy mine.  It has to be plugged in a lot.
View Quote

my old G72GX was pretty much always plugged in.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#6]
watch woot.com
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Forget the laptop and build a pc. Mobile laptop gaming is a ripoff.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:03:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a G73sh that has been pretty good to me for the past 3 years, I payed 900$ for it on newegg. I just built a gaming computer however but use the laptop when I am traveling.  It will still play battlefield 4 on medium settings and most stuff before that on high.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top