Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been thinking about TrackIR as well.  Oculus is pretty expensive currently, and I've read that it's pretty easy to build your own version of TrackIR.  Plus, I mess with too much stuff to be totally enclosed visually with the Oculus.  Notes on my desk, the keyboard, alt-tabbing to various IMs, websites, etc.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been thinking about TrackIR as well.  Oculus is pretty expensive currently, and I've read that it's pretty easy to build your own version of TrackIR.  Plus, I mess with too much stuff to be totally enclosed visually with the Oculus.  Notes on my desk, the keyboard, alt-tabbing to various IMs, websites, etc.
View Quote

I've got TrackIR and it works great but VR is where its at.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote

I tried the DIY TrackIR, but the lag made it unusable.  My buddy got the real deal and it was much better.

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Oculus is new technology, and honestly, not that useful right now for any sort of flight based games since you can't see your damned physical controls and keyboard easily.

I have a TrackIR and while it took me a pretty long time to get it configured and comfortable it's indispensable for any flight sim I own. That being said I found Elite to be quite playable without one since the cockpits are generally pretty visually restrictive and you have a radar telling you where other craft are anyway.

In a 109 (or even a warthog) with steam gauges it's a damned miracle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ok, this looks interesting...I've been looking for something new to play, I'm about sick of fantasy MMO's and RTS games.

Thing is, I've never played a flight sim...how's the learning curve for an utter noob?

I can already tell that a HOTAS+TrackIR setup is gonna be the business...I don't mind laying out the cash if I really enjoy the game...and as a retired old fart I sure have plenty of time to play

View Quote

I'd just buy a cheapo stick with the twist feature (for the rudder). As long as it isn't complete junk it'll get you through Elite.

There are single player missions available to get used to the concept, and the first one is specifically designed for testing controls in a non hostile environment.

Also, since it's in space you have way more directions for movement (including flying while facing backwards, strafing, etc). It's certainly less restrictive than aircraft in atmosphere.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'd just buy a cheapo stick with the twist feature (for the rudder). As long as it isn't complete junk it'll get you through Elite.

There are single player missions available to get used to the concept, and the first one is specifically designed for testing controls in a non hostile environment.

Also, since it's in space you have way more directions for movement (including flying while facing backwards, strafing, etc). It's certainly less restrictive than aircraft in atmosphere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, this looks interesting...I've been looking for something new to play, I'm about sick of fantasy MMO's and RTS games.

Thing is, I've never played a flight sim...how's the learning curve for an utter noob?

I can already tell that a HOTAS+TrackIR setup is gonna be the business...I don't mind laying out the cash if I really enjoy the game...and as a retired old fart I sure have plenty of time to play

Too late, already drank the Kool Aid...Thrustmaster HOTAS X and TrackIR 5 bundle on the way

I'm glad the game has a solo mode...I can noob things up without embarrassing myself horribly by crashing into other people

Now off to buy the game...I'll post a user name later.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a pirates life for me

Making 75,000 - 150,000 credits a haul in my cobra
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

How are you doing that?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Too late, already drank the Kool Aid...Thrustmaster HOTAS X and TrackIR 5 bundle on the way

View Quote

Be sure to let us know how you like the new setup.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How are you doing that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How are you doing that?

When you jump into most systems there is a marker called nav beacon, this is the point in which all npc ships converge on when they hyperdrive into a system. Just have to camp the zone and rake in the goods. Be advised though other players can drop in as well as other pirates, patrols, psychopaths, etc.

FYI, tobacco can sell for more than gold at the right stations
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I could always use a wingman or wingmen to pillage and plunder the glaxay
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:11:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Well, got it installed and played for a little while last night...all right, I played ALL night

This is a lot of fun, even with keyboard and mouse. Going to be awesome with stick and throttle. Write your keybinds down, there are a mega shit ton of them.

Only lost one ship early on when I discovered that the Station AI's are just a wee bit touchy about loitering near the entrance...yeah, don't do that. I was sweating hard by the time I accomplished the first landing...it does get easier with practice.

Found a nice profitable 3 way trade run and now have a Hauler with a full load of cargo ready to go when I log in again...soon.

Still some bugs and the occasional crash, to be expected of course, it's still Beta after all.

I really didn't think I would like a space flight sim...I'm glad I was wrong

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Good to hear!

We should expect a better mission system with the next patch too IIRC, that'll be cool as there's only so much to do right now besides trading.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Regarding the economy, I hope this game copies a lot from Eve Online.  I would still be playing Eve if it wasn't like flying a spreadsheet.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone know if you get to keep your credits when they do a version wipe?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anyone know if you get to keep your credits when they do a version wipe?
View Quote

Not likely, otherwise people could amass fortunes before the actual launch making things too imbalanced.

Last haul got me 250,000 approximately. Im sitting at almost a million credits in 2-3 days of playing, imagine what that could be in a month or two.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well, got it installed and played for a little while last night...all right, I played ALL night

This is a lot of fun, even with keyboard and mouse. Going to be awesome with stick and throttle. Write your keybinds down, there are a mega shit ton of them.

Only lost one ship early on when I discovered that the Station AI's are just a wee bit touchy about loitering near the entrance...yeah, don't do that. I was sweating hard by the time I accomplished the first landing...it does get easier with practice.

Found a nice profitable 3 way trade run and now have a Hauler with a full load of cargo ready to go when I log in again...soon.

Still some bugs and the occasional crash, to be expected of course, it's still Beta after all.

I really didn't think I would like a space flight sim...I'm glad I was wrong

View Quote

And, even easier once you discover that you have vertical thrusters.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Speaking of making things easier. Once I figured out why your throttle indicator turns blue in supercruise, I now love cruising around systems. I used to despise it. It took me quite a while to figure that out.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Speaking of making things easier. Once I figured out why your throttle indicator turns blue in supercruise, I now love cruising around systems. I used to despise it. It took me quite a while to figure that out.
View Quote

Hmmm, I don't know that one.  Does it make it easier to know when to slow down when approaching a system?  I hate that the 'Slow Down' alert pops up just in time to throttle down and zip right past the system.  Turn around, and then have to supercruise back 30 LS...  
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Might need to invest in a stick and throttle system, I cant see dog fighting with keyboard and mouse working well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm really looking forward to seeing ED and Star Citizen reach maturity and comparing the two.  I expect them both to be great games.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hmmm, I don't know that one.  Does it make it easier to know when to slow down when approaching a system?  I hate that the 'Slow Down' alert pops up just in time to throttle down and zip right past the system.  Turn around, and then have to supercruise back 30 LS...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's supposed to give you your recommended speed setting in supercruise. I find going a tiny bit under tends to prevent overshoots more though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's supposed to give you your recommended speed setting in supercruise. I find going a tiny bit under tends to prevent overshoots more though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you set the throttle so the dot is blue in supercruise, the throttle will automatically adjust itself so you don't overshoot at all.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:26:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you set the throttle so the dot is blue in supercruise, the throttle will automatically adjust itself so you don't overshoot at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very cool, I will check that out.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found it faster to go full throttle and swing around as your velocity decreases once you pass, the computer takes too long for the guided approach

Just dont slam into anything like say a planet, asteroid belt, star, etc. lol
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Nice!  They reduced the price for the beta.  Last I looked it was $150.  Today its $60.  I think I'm going to pick it up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#27]
I just ordered Track IR for it.  (Well, and star citizen and will probably fire up War Thunder again as well.)

Also, for those of us that pre-ordered, looks like we're getting a second ship and base to keep it in!  Yay!
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I just ordered Track IR for it.  (Well, and star citizen and will probably fire up War Thunder again as well.)

Also, for those of us that pre-ordered, looks like we're getting a second ship and base to keep it in!  Yay!
View Quote

Yeah, I'm pumped about that

Pro tip-The Anaconda stuffed with Multi-Cannon (G) in every available gun mount makes pirates sad indeed.

And is ridiculously fun to play, too...

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Confirmed: Track IR is fucking AWESOME!

After years of 'training' to reduce the whole 'moving-the-controller-through-the-air-to-help-the-onscreen-action' syndrome, the Wii came out. And that used the aforementioned syndrome. And then the motion controls in 3DS, Dualshock 3, and smartphones. And now, I have Track IR, so all my head craning in flight sims trying to keep the enemy in sight, or glance out a side window while flying a pattern has come to be a benefit! Very cool, and so easy to setup! Literally plugged it in, updated the software, selected Elite, hopped in my Sidewinder and was looking around my cockpit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:37:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

If we're already in, that covers all the required preorders?

Or do I need to add on some sort of "mercenary" tag?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:05:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe it was anyone who got in early, all the way up to and including, PB folks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I believe it was anyone who got in early, all the way up to and including, PB folks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking it's anyone who preorders up to release date, which is still just Q4 2014.

But, yeah, if you're in now, you have it.  Well, will have it.  I don't think we get the second ship and stuff till release.

Now, I wish they would re-open the chance to 'pre-order' future expansions.  But, I think that was only on the $150 Alpha pre-order.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#33]
My setup for SC/ED

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Sweetness dude!

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I am thinking of picking this game up. Should I FO? The system requirements are pretty low.

Thoughts?

Do youget the final game when you pick up the beta?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I am thinking of picking this game up. Should I FO? The system requirements are pretty low.

Thoughts?

Do youget the final game when you pick up the beta?
View Quote

I'm glad I FO'ed, even though it's still in beta...even added a TM HOTAS X set-up to my already cluttered desk.

The learning curve is steep, especially with a keyboard and mouse set-up. Stick with it, it's worth it.

Be prepared for bugs, it's beta after all...

Beta 2.0 is scheduled for release 9/30, increases the available star systems from 55 to 500, new ship, individual performance ratings, etc.

You do get the final game when you buy the beta, but you will not get all the later upgrades for free, that's reserved for the Alpha backers only...I missed it by 4 days

There will be vanity items (custom paint jobs, for example) for sale for real money, but not pay-to-win stuff. There will also be in-game ads...it's a turn-off for some, but no monthly bill means I'll put up with it.

I never thought I'd enjoy a flight/space sim, but I'm digging Elite:Dangerous

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Definitey FO!  Especially if you're an old school space simmer from the X-Wing/Wing Commander/Freelancer days.  It's very much like that, but MAOR!

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#38]
So, guys.  A few questions:

There's all these combat zones where you go kill Feds.  Do we want to do this?  I mean, I go to a lot of places that are in Fed space, I don't want to suddenly be kill on sight there.  Or, is that a war only place and you don't have to worry about factions and stuff if you participate in there?

Reason I ask, is I am tired of doing trade runs in my Sidewinder making at most a couple hundred credits.  I want to try out different ships, and I'm never going to get one at that rate, so I'm ready to start some combat.  That seems to pay better.

All my trade run info is old, and I am currently losing a lot of money on runs.  Any good sites that are up-to-date on the commodities?

I got to see my first capital ship tonight!  I was enroute somewhere, and saw a Federal Distress Signal, and for once, dropped out of Supercruise and found the spot.  So, a dreadnaught was under attack from the Eranins.  Since I have no dog in the fight, I sat and watched them for a bit.  Was fun.

EDIT:

(I am seeing stuff on the forums that the Eranins are communist.  But, the Feds and them are in a dispute over alcohol.  So...I dunno still!)  
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So, guys.  A few questions:

There's all these combat zones where you go kill Feds.  Do we want to do this?  I mean, I go to a lot of places that are in Fed space, I don't want to suddenly be kill on sight there.  Or, is that a war only place and you don't have to worry about factions and stuff if you participate in there?

Reason I ask, is I am tired of doing trade runs in my Sidewinder making at most a couple hundred credits.  I want to try out different ships, and I'm never going to get one at that rate, so I'm ready to start some combat.  That seems to pay better.

All my trade run info is old, and I am currently losing a lot of money on runs.  Any good sites that are up-to-date on the commodities?

I got to see my first capital ship tonight!  I was enroute somewhere, and saw a Federal Distress Signal, and for once, dropped out of Supercruise and found the spot.  So, a dreadnaught was under attack from the Eranins.  Since I have no dog in the fight, I sat and watched them for a bit.  Was fun.

EDIT:

(I am seeing stuff on the forums that the Eranins are communist.  But, the Feds and them are in a dispute over alcohol.  So...I dunno still!)  
View Quote

Reputation doesn't matter much right now...but it will in the next build. Don't really know much, the devs are keeping it close to the vest. We'll know more on the 30th...

Hoping they don't wipe my Lakon Type-9 and 12 million credits...but they probably will.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:48:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Yeah, I've been reading a bunch of threads on the various factions.  We'll just have to see.  However, the Feds sure are coming off bad, with these black ops missions to kill civilians in some kind of false flag setup.  I think I'll just try to stay neutral till we see if factions matter or not.

And yeah, I hope there's no wipe.  I have nothing to lose, honestly, but I know how much work goes into getting the bigger ships, so it would suck for those guys. Although, I am looking forward to a larger universe and hopefully a more stable economy so that I can finally start to make some money on runs.  Only being able to haul 4 tons makes for slow going on finances!
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#41]
are you guys enjoying the Beta 2, I just saw a guy on youtube run out of fuel.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Yeah.  The nerfed the commodity markets to 'force' us to test out the missions.  Which is fine.  I made enough money in one night that I was able to buy a hauler.  Course, I just flew it around to get a feel for it, and none of the missions were doing the 16T of cargo I configured it for.  So, I sold it and got an eagle to try.  And, of course, all the missions then were for 8 and 16T runs.  

I haven't been on for a week or so though.  I believe Beta 3 is going live maybe next week?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
So far Elite is going to release this year and is completely playable and rather polished. SC, while ambitious, is quite honestly a gigantic mess being an alpha and all (I say that as someone that owns both).
Elite just needs features added over time, which is already being taken care of every patch. SC is still very much on a drawing board and (REAL, ACTUAL) alpha level.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got fond memories of playing Elite Plus (SVGA version), so this is pretty exciting. Will be interesting to see how it faces off against SC.

So far Elite is going to release this year and is completely playable and rather polished. SC, while ambitious, is quite honestly a gigantic mess being an alpha and all (I say that as someone that owns both).
Elite just needs features added over time, which is already being taken care of every patch. SC is still very much on a drawing board and (REAL, ACTUAL) alpha level.
You might have to wait a while.  Even when both are out it wont be a totally fair comparison as SC will have more features being worked on post launch and ED will also probably be working on additional stuff at that the time SC releases.
I expect SC to come out on top. Waaaay on top.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You might have to wait a while.  Even when both are out it wont be a totally fair comparison as SC will have more features being worked on post launch and ED will also probably be working on additional stuff at that the time SC releases.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got fond memories of playing Elite Plus (SVGA version), so this is pretty exciting. Will be interesting to see how it faces off against SC.

SC certainly ahs had a lot more hype. It will be an interesting comparison when SC is finnally released vs Elite:D that has upgraded the game a few times. I think we are going to see a lot of similarities. I have played Elite for many many years, and am hoping they will come out on top, but again, SC has had a LOT more press.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
SC certainly ahs had a lot more hype. It will be an interesting comparison when SC is finnally released vs Elite:D that has upgraded the game a few times. I think we are going to see a lot of similarities. I have played Elite for many many years, and am hoping they will come out on top, but again, SC has had a LOT more press.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it will but I imagine that the elite team will still be working on content at that time and SC will definitely have new stuff coming.  The final comparison will have to wait untill SC just has ED beat period or until they both stop updating and its still a toss up.  Going to be a very long time and I imagine fanboys will be saying "your guys just have 'plans' we actually have stuff" while giving their game a pass on its "plans" the entire time these games are developed..  Like is going on now with the ED fan boys that like to bring up SC plans as an negative while giving ED a pass on all the unfulfilled plans they have.

I want SC to come out on top because I like their design better.  Everything from the graphics to the ships look and the complex control panels.  Everything.

I still want ED to do good though.  Because Space Sim, because PC exclusive.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#46]

Beta 3 is going to drop on Tuesday...near 2500 star systems, up from the current 500 or so...

...can own more than 1 ship.

...mining introduced.

And it won't be a complete wipe. Ships will be gone, but you'll get the credits back, plus whatever bank you have.

I'm well set up for cash, so I'm going to outfit a mining ship and bash asteroids.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Just ordered a X-55 Rhino.  It'll be here Tuesday!  Honestly, biggest reason I settled on it after looking at tons of reviews, is it's excessively awesome throttle unit.  All those momentary switches!  

Can't wait to get it, and configure it for both ED and SC.  Man, that thing, along with the Track IR....

Granted, my wife will probably have me summarily executed when she sees it, but...hopefully I get a couple flights in with it first!
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I got Star Trek: Voyagered today!

I picked up a mission from Hay Point to deliver some auto-fabricators to Bresnik Mine in G 239-25 for a little under 10K.  When I got to the station, there was no Bulletin Board to turn in the mission at.

So, I alt-tabbed out, and was typing up the bug report.  Was doing the hardware scan for the ticket, my PC BSoD'ed.  When I logged back in, I was no longer in Bresnik Mine!  I was about 15 LY away, in LFT-880, sitting inside Baker Station.

So, I worked my way back to Hay Point, hoping to re-pick up the Mission, but no go.  Also, the game no longer recognizes my cargo in the commodities market, so I can't sell these auto-fabricators.  I launched, and tried to jettison them in orbit, but they won't jettison.  This is preventing me from upgrading and selling the ship, and of course, taking up 4 tons of cargo space.

I submitted a ticket.  Anyone know how to get rid of that quest cargo in my bay?  No point in having a cargo hauler if half the bay is occupied with ghost crap...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top