Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/10/2014 1:09:53 PM EDT
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/10/sony-reveals-new-mmo-h1z1

Sony Online Entertainment president John Smedley revealed today that the company has been developing a free-to-play MMO called H1Z1.

"It’s a massively multiplayer game in which players fight for survival in a world where death is the only sure thing," Smedley said. "The H1Z1 virus devastated mankind and left nothing but death and destruction in its wake and a world nearly empty of human life where the remnants of humanity are in a fight against extinction against those infected with the virus."

I will be very interested in this game if game play pushes more toward realism then an arcade experience.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/22nr99/what_weve_learned_now/

Gameplay Details
Takes place 15 years after the zombie apocalypse started
First Person or Third Person shooter
Zombie Survival
Night is dark and full of terrors
Player versus Player at it's core.
More than just zombies in the world
Base Building, Town building, Fortress creation
Can burn down things others build.
Lots of crafting. Probably the biggest thing about the game.
Vehicles are already in. Possibility of aircraft in the future.
Based off the United States.
If you die, you lose your gear. It stays on your corpse.
"No skills or levels".
"Thousands of players". I'm willing to bet this will be larger, playercount wise, than planetside 2.
There will be Hunting.
Horses will be a mode of transportation
Camping was added recently
Pets are being considered.

Tech Details
PC first, PS4 later. "Well, we are Sony" when asked about the PS4 version.
In terms of cross-platform play, Planetside 2 will not be doing cross platform due to the logistics of updating the game on the PS4 vs the PC. I expect that this has not changed so I don't see cross-platform play happening. SOE has made no comment on this point however, so I could be talking out of my ass.
"If you can run Planetside 2, you can run H1Z1 better".
"Orders of magnitude larger than Planetside 2".
Based of Planetside 2. Shares no tech with Everquest Next (so no Voxels).
Built in voice chat options.

Monetization Details
Free to play
Part of the All-Access subscription that SOE is launching this month. $15/mo for premium sub in all SOE games.
"you seriously don't need to spend a dime. We're still figuring out the monetization but we will telegraph our plans early and let people comment and we'll listen if they don't like something and come to a place where people feel good about it." -Smed, in this thread
Early Access ($20ish, on steam) in 4-6 weeks.

When do we get more details?
Screenshots will start coming out almost immediately.
The next playtest will be Live streamed (I have good intel that it will be Monday).
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a solid competitor to DayZ.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Bohemia Interactive and Rocket really dropped the ball with DZSA IMHO. They had an opportunity to make something really cool, and ended up making dayzmod with a nicer inventory system. Some other company with a lot of $$$ is going to get it done and crush them. That said, I don't think Sony Entertainment is going to be the one to do it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bohemia Interactive and Rocket really dropped the ball with DZSA IMHO. They had an opportunity to make something really cool, and ended up making dayzmod with a nicer inventory system. Some other company with a lot of $$$ is going to get it done and crush them. That said, I don't think Sony Entertainment is going to be the one to do it.
View Quote

Second anti SOE comment I have heard today on this. I admittedly don't know another about SOE's track record since I don't play their game. What is the main issue(s)?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I disagree Stand Alone is going great abet at what seems like a snails pace. I don't think it is fair to call a game in Alpha a"dayzmod with a nicer inventory system" since it isn't finished. I am concerned that the Take on Helicopters engine was never up to the task because it was never designed to be used for a MMO game like DayZ.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:11:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/22nr99/what_weve_learned_now/

Gameplay Details
Takes place 15 years after the zombie apocalypse started
First Person or Third Person shooter
Zombie Survival
Night is dark and full of terrors
Player versus Player at it's core.
More than just zombies in the world
Base Building, Town building, Fortress creation
Can burn down things others build.
Lots of crafting. Probably the biggest thing about the game.
Vehicles are already in. Possibility of aircraft in the future.
Based off the United States.
If you die, you lose your gear. It stays on your corpse.
"No skills or levels".
"Thousands of players". I'm willing to bet this will be larger, playercount wise, than planetside 2.
There will be Hunting.
Horses will be a mode of transportation
Camping was added recently
Pets are being considered.

Tech Details
PC first, PS4 later. "Well, we are Sony" when asked about the PS4 version.
In terms of cross-platform play, Planetside 2 will not be doing cross platform due to the logistics of updating the game on the PS4 vs the PC. I expect that this has not changed so I don't see cross-platform play happening. SOE has made no comment on this point however, so I could be talking out of my ass.
"If you can run Planetside 2, you can run H1Z1 better".
"Orders of magnitude larger than Planetside 2".
Based of Planetside 2. Shares no tech with Everquest Next (so no Voxels).
Built in voice chat options.

Monetization Details
Free to play
Part of the All-Access subscription that SOE is launching this month. $15/mo for premium sub in all SOE games.
"you seriously don't need to spend a dime. We're still figuring out the monetization but we will telegraph our plans early and let people comment and we'll listen if they don't like something and come to a place where people feel good about it." -Smed, in this thread
Early Access ($20ish, on steam) in 4-6 weeks.

When do we get more details?
Screenshots will start coming out almost immediately.
The next playtest will be Live streamed (I have good intel that it will be Monday).
View Quote

sounds like EPOCH. The mod of ARMAII

SOE destroyed SWG the first and really greatest MMORPG ever I think only EVE comes close and even that does not have all depth and breadth of SWG
So that being said........I have my doubts about SONY.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:13:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

With Rocket leaving and Bohemia ( I think) not really committed to the DZSA (It's not really their thing) I pretty sure that the DZSA is over. I don'r believe it will ever be fully built out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:39:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

With Rocket leaving and Bohemia ( I think) not really committed to the DZSA (It's not really their thing) I pretty sure that the DZSA is over. I don'r believe it will ever be fully built out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pure speculation either way. But bohemia has sunk money into a new studio and hired 40+ programmers and artists since standalone launched. Doesn't sound like abandonment to me.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:21:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Pure speculation either way. But bohemia has sunk money into a new studio and hired 40+ programmers and artists since standalone launched. Doesn't sound like abandonment to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You had me at burning people's houses down.

Everyone can cry about how bad SOE is but look at all the people playing Planetside 2, Star Wars The Old Republic, and DC universe just to mention a few.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#10]

If you think donor perks are bad enough in DayZ, Free to Play(pay to win) will be even worse.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Second anti SOE comment I have heard today on this. I admittedly don't know another about SOE's track record since I don't play their game. What is the main issue(s)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They ruined SWG and Planetside 1, which were both at one point excellent games. Also, their Station software is atrocious, just like Origin/Uplay.

Quoted:

Hall said he would leave in a year. As above, Bohemia have invested heavily (for a small niche studio) in DayZ, clearly because they recognised that it makes them a shit load of money.

I agree with Miles that DayZ is progressing well, apart from the issues involved with Bohemia that are unavoidable (weak game engine, small niche developer). With the enlarged team hopefully the development pace will increase. The next few updates look pretty cool.

The problem with SOE is that MMO players don't trust it anymore. Like Blizzard and Bioware (TOR mentioned above), they've thrown away their well-established reputation by producing derivative rubbish. I don't think H1Z1 will compete with DayZ much; it doesn't seem to be about survival, any more than COD is about 'modern warfare'. It's just a theme that's popular at the moment.

Games like Rust show that there's clearly a market for more arcade-type survival/crafting sandbox games, which is cool. Better sandbox than themepark.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I hate third person cheat in FPS games.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, 3rd person used serious affect playstyle in Planetside, the game just became about corner camping and spamming grenades around corners.

Any serious competitive game needs to be 1st only, or have a mode for it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:59:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I enjoy Planetside 2 and would play it more if I had time.  I also enjoy the *idea* of DayZ, but between the clunky Arma 2 engine, the highly buggy player persistence, and the small servers that reboot (at least) once per day, I don't play it.

The market is ripe for a survival MMO, I just hope that SOE can nail it.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Hope their are vehicles in there.  Just because zombies are around, doesn't mean cars don't work.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Hope their are vehicles in there.  Just because zombies are around, doesn't mean cars don't work.
View Quote

Vehicles around 2:00:

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Album of all H1Z1 imagines released to date: http://imgur.com/a/dHndo
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#20]
For all it's faults I'm having a blast playing DayZ SA, the over all concept of it.

So I'm really looking forward to H1Z1; base building, vehicles, and trading right from the get go. I haven't played Planetside 2 yet, so I think I might be downloading it to see what the engine is like.

Well it looks like I'm playing two zombie survival games this year.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:16:15 AM EDT
[#21]
This game makes standalone look like shit and it comes out in 4 weeks. Ill be buying early access

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

This game makes standalone look like shit and it comes out in 4 weeks. Ill be buying early access

View Quote

Likewise.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe they'll be halfway competent and have a polished engine.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That would seem like a luxury in this genre.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Hopefully its running of the updated planetside 2 engine so we know it has something going for it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:50:12 AM EDT
[#26]
As an launch week veteran of Everquest, I love John Smedley.  He has gotten all kinds of shit over the years, some deserved (SWG) some not, but he loves games and loves making them.  I hope H1Z1 is a hit for him and SOE, I will be buying it.

Some EQers, way back, had a "sit in" protesting something in game.  Smed showed up at their sit-in as a giant gnome to talk about their grievances.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:14:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

As an launch week veteran of Everquest, I love John Smedley.  He has gotten all kinds of shit over the years, some deserved (SWG) some not, but he loves games and loves making them.  I hope H1Z1 is a hit for him and SOE, I will be buying it.

Some EQers, way back, had a "sit in" protesting something in game.  Smed showed up at their sit-in as a giant gnome to talk about their grievances.

http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2011/10/smedgnome.jpg
View Quote

I played EQ.  I remember rolling up my first character, a tree elf, spawning in, and running off the side of the tree house platform to see what would happen.  I fell to my death and was instantly hooked.  Most games today would have invisible barriers around the platforms to keep players from accidentally dying.  I hate those barriers.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

IIRC, that's after they dicked-up Rangers with Kunark.  We had a number of events like that on different servers.

That said, H1Z1 looks like it could be a bunch of fun - especially if we had an Arfcom guild.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

IIRC, that's after they dicked-up Rangers with Kunark.  We had a number of events like that on different servers.

That said, H1Z1 looks like it could be a bunch of fun - especially if we had an Arfcom guild.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We will definitely have an arfcom group. But it will not be called a friggin guild.

In other H1Z1  news SOE outlined some of their monetization plans for the game.

http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/soe-reveals-h1z1-monetization-plans/

1. “We will be selling wearables. We felt like this will be a good, fair revenue generator. However – we recognize how important finding wearables in the world is so you’ll be able to find and craft a lot of stuff. We agree that’s something important. We’ve also come up with a pretty awesome idea to let players who kill other players loot stuff. So if a player has a black ski mask and gets killed by another player, that player can wear the ski mask for a few deaths (we have durability in the game. Station Cash wearables won’t degrade at all but when you loot something.. it will degrade. Please note the original player always keeps their SC purchased wearables. This gives the great feeling of whacking some unsuspecting fool who decided to bring a knife to a gun fight.”

2. “We will NOT be selling Guns, Ammo, Food, Water… i.e. That’s kind of the whole game and it would suck in our opinion if we did that.”

3. "Nor will we sell boosts that will impact #2.”

“Emote Pack – of course we’ll have the basics for free. But we felt like this is another good and fair revenue generator.”

4. “Character slots – feels reasonable”

5. “Crates – You can find crates sometimes in game. They’re filled with random cool stuff from the store. We’re considering letting you see what’s in them before you buy a key (ala Dota 2.). This idea isn’t fully locked yet.”

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#30]
I would rather pay $30-60 for a game than have to deal with micro transactions.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

^^ agree
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

As grueling as playing that game could be (Vex Thal key quest, Epic weapon quest items, etc), I have fond memories of Everquest. I didn't start until before Velious came out though. I think I had the most fun in Kunark and Velious. Luclin was pretty weak. Planes of power was ok. I stopped playing at the end of the PoP expansion.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

^^ agree
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^ agree

I agree. But those days are over.

The bean counters at Sony and every studio and publisher have gotten a wind of the money to be made on micro transactions and unfortunately it is what we have to look forward to.

In a way I can't blame them. For $60 is isn't reasonable to support servers and patches in perpetuity. Subscription models act as a financial barrier to entry and while they appeal to a hardcore audience micro transactions on free to play games ensnare casuals that might only stick with the game for a short period of time.

The hardcore players will spend the money regardless and the sheer unwashed masses attracted by a "free game" (i.e. children and young adults with limited funds) might buy a hat or two with a SOE gift card they can buy with their lunch money at Walmart.

Free to Play with micro transactions is the way to make  the most money because it brings in the most players.

It will be interesting to see what bennies SOE offers its monthly "all access" subscribers for H1Z1.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#34]
The dev team is doing a livestream today:  http://www.twitch.tv/h1z1
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 8:20:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The dev team is doing a livestream today:  http://www.twitch.tv/h1z1
View Quote

I will have to check this out later. This game might be boner territory.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#36]
lol SOE

No way. They even managed to fucking destroy EverQuest.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks like the Freeport gate.

Level 65 Bard with 431 AAs checking in. I retired when GoD came out.

Would love another subscription based game that wasn't a hand holding, auto transport, no penalty for death jackfest. Instead we not have a generation of shit like GuildWars2 where people get to max level in 3 days, the entire game is played like its following a script, everything is lazy instancing and it dies in 6 months.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#39]
After the abomination that was "The War Z" Im kinda scared to sink my teeth, into any other "Zombie Survival Game." But since its SOE and not some douche canoe with a bad track record I'll give it a shot.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
But since its SOE and not some douche canoe with a bad track record I'll give it a shot.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
But since its SOE and not some douche canoe with a bad track record I'll give it a shot.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--abtphzbP--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/196fuarapyylmgif.gif

DESPITE! Their past transgressions im walking into this with an open mind and not being judgmental.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Don't get me wrong, I feel the same about this game (from what I've seen so far) as I do about the Elder Scrolls MMO (and TOR for that matter).

I want to like it; I'd happily give these people my money if it wasn't a complete joke. Make a half decent MMO that isn't ruined by P2W or shitty PVP. Make a game like DayZ that works properly, I'll buy it. But it's always the same publishers pulling the same bullshit.

I bought into the TOR hype, I played it from launch, and persevered despite it being very mediocre, and despite it lacking half the features that games like Wow have had literally for years previously. I even enjoyed the casual PVP at endgame at first, but then because of the retarded server/faction setup, there wasn't enough people playing to support it, and this was two months after the game launched.

And yeah, Sony don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Neither do Bioware or Bestheda anymore.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#43]
NO CONEFIRE OMG JIZZ IN MY PANTS
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#44]
In!
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:07:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Did they give an exact release date yet im in the mood to set a house and or somone on fire already.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:47:39 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Did they give an exact release date yet im in the mood to set a house and or somone on fire already.
View Quote

4 to 6 weeks for early access.

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Don't get me wrong, I feel the same about this game (from what I've seen so far) as I do about the Elder Scrolls MMO (and TOR for that matter).

I want to like it; I'd happily give these people my money if it wasn't a complete joke. Make a half decent MMO that isn't ruined by P2W or shitty PVP. Make a game like DayZ that works properly, I'll buy it. But it's always the same publishers pulling the same bullshit.

I bought into the TOR hype, I played it from launch, and persevered despite it being very mediocre, and despite it lacking half the features that games like Wow have had literally for years previously. I even enjoyed the casual PVP at endgame at first, but then because of the retarded server/faction setup, there wasn't enough people playing to support it, and this was two months after the game launched.

And yeah, Sony don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Neither do Bioware or Bestheda anymore.
View Quote

I know how you feel about TOR I rode that hype train from the very moment of the announcement, I grinded my ass all the way to 50 and when I hit that dead end to where the PVE legendary armor and there wasnt shit for me to do. I just left I was greatly disappointed the way things turned out.
The only reason why I stayed is because I had made such great friends during my time on the game. And then finally one by one they all left.(I dont blame them) I stills in contact with them regularly.

Well Idk about Bethesda, despite that this MMO is going to be a great disappointment (called it as soon as I played the beta) Its not like they've screwed us at every turn. Fallout Series and So far all the eldar scrolls(not mmo) have been great games.
The elder scrolls universe had potential to be a great thing to become a good mmo, unfortunately it doesn't always happen that way. I dont blame Bethesda to try there hand at the MMO world. Theyll make up the money later with another fall out or Elder Scrolls (single player).

Thats just my two cents on it though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I know how you feel about TOR I rode that hype train from the very moment of the announcement, I grinded my ass all the way to 50 and when I hit that dead end to where the PVE legendary armor and there wasnt shit for me to do. I just left I was greatly disappointed the way things turned out.
The only reason why I stayed is because I had made such great friends during my time on the game. And then finally one by one they all left.(I dont blame them) I stills in contact with them regularly.

Well Idk about Bethesda, despite that this MMO is going to be a great disappointment (called it as soon as I played the beta) Its not like they've screwed us at every turn. Fallout Series and So far all the eldar scrolls(not mmo) have been great games.
The elder scrolls universe had potential to be a great thing to become a good mmo, unfortunately it doesn't always happen that way. I dont blame Bethesda to try there hand at the MMO world. Theyll make up the money later with another fall out or Elder Scrolls (single player).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone can bitch and cry about the past all they want but this game is headed in an entirely different direction then past titles you even get that feeling from the dev's in all the live streams and sony seems to be a company that learns from its mistakes and doesn't repeat them often.

As for the elder scrolls alls they needed to do was to make a skyrim that alot of people could play at once and they would have been golden instead we received a standard mmo abomination which was a big let down to many like me who were expecting that hopefully they learn from this experience and don't make a fallout mmo in this fashion which was rumored or they will soon have tweens suicide bombing zenimax and bathesda studios.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#49]
I've watched a number of gameplay videos including portions of yesterday's live stream.  Unless things improve substantially between now and early release, I won't be playing.  I'll wait to see if they are able to polish the game and refine the mechanics to where it has more depth than setting zombies on fire or running over them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#50]
I find Metallurgists lack of faith disturbing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top