Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 1/29/2014 3:37:44 PM EDT
So the other ESO thread is long gone.  Unless a Mod wants to try and dig it up.

So with the release set and Pre-order open.  Are you lucky bastard Beta guys allowed talk about anything yet? Yeah, I BETA now

With no sign of Destiny going to PC at release and The Division being pushed back until 2015; I'm back to "might as well get it" mode with ESO.

Player List for PC:

@SmokinFlakes - Bullofspadez
@Jatobi - Jatobi
@Stryker428 - M82Assault
@jestertoo - jestertoo
@BigAJ - BigAJ
@Twelvepack - twelvepack
@tierhawg - 220st
@dangerranger6100 - dangerranger61007
@Jeartal - tinytim54
@NotFragile - PNWRN
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for info.  I'm debating buying a next gen console for this game.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Green Man Gaming has a voucher code in their newsletter for 25% off right now, FYI.

You usually have to be signed up for their emails for the voucher to work on your account.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 1:36:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I really wanted to get this game but 60 for the game and 15/mo isn't doing it for me.
I wish PS+ members got to play for free, hopefully they go FTP in the future.
You nerds have fun, I'm gonna have to sit this one out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 3:36:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm getting and have had it preordered since last year from amazon.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Dunno if I'll bother to be honest. The beta didn't exactly inspire me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I liked it. I plan on buying it
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you tell us more?  Will you be able to play the entire Tamriel landmass?  Will there be single players aspects or is it all multiplayer?  I do not know much about the game so far.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Can you tell us more?  Will you be able to play the entire Tamriel landmass?  Will there be single players aspects or is it all multiplayer?  I do not know much about the game so far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the Dev videos I saw you can Solo(probably much higher levels needed) it... but there will be some area's that would very much benefit from a larger group.  I also believe you can travel the enire land mass... But Cyrodiil will be PVP and where the Guild Keeps will be fought for/over.

After reading a bit more, I have a ton of questions about the pre-order.  That I hope they get to answering soon.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I fully expect them to go F2P at some point, so I'll probably wait until then.  The idea of paying $60 up front, plus another $15/month kinda pushes me away.  It might even be worth it content-wise, but whenever I am paying monthly, I feel like I HAVE to play it just to justify what I'm paying for it.  I hate that feeling.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 2:18:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I fully expect them to go F2P at some point, so I'll probably wait until then.  The idea of paying $60 up front, plus another $15/month kinda pushes me away.  It might even be worth it content-wise, but whenever I am paying monthly, I feel like I HAVE to play it just to justify what I'm paying for it.  I hate that feeling.
View Quote

The 2 reasons I do agree with a fee.  1) It does tend to keep some fly by night and multiple account folks out...unless they are a genuine wealthy troll.  2)  I don't like the idea of Pay to Win... I don't doubt that they will have some sort of store as well, but if they keep it more novelty item specific; it should be tolerable.  I'd rather pay $15 a month to be somewhat equal rather than instantly having to deal with everyone spending $200 for heavy weighted spec items from the F2P store.

Now, if they try to charge $15 a month and sell "legendary" style goods in store... that IS going to suck.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I really want to get it but the 15 a month on top of 60 is turning me off.
I have a feeling there is going to bunch of in game store bullshit.
On principle I kinda hope it flops so this business plan will die.
Elderscrolls Candy Crush
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#12]
My biggest disappointment is that characters can occupy the same space.  Their concern being that otherwise they'd have a bunch of trolls blocking access to content.  DAoC handled that issue just fine, and they basically borrowed heavily from DAoC design for pvp, but it won't work the same if you can just run through enemy lines.  Shields become useless, everyone will be all-out offense, stealth will be overpowered (otherwise it will be useless).

Still gonna play when it rolls out, but not as excited as I was before I learned that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been playing these games since Daggerfall and I'm a big fan of the series.  I was a little apprehensive when they announced their plans to make ESO.  I still signed up for the beta and was able to get in on it.  It's pretty sweet, and does a good job of holding to the lore and keeping the feel of a typical ES game.   With the exception of it being on a much grander scale, and with lots of other players running around.  The environments are done very well, crafting is actually interesting and usefull.  The interface takes a little to get used to, same goes for combat and crafting...... but it's fun and kind of addicitng.  Character progression is very interesting too, there are a number of different paths you can go down, as well as crafting perks, etc.   At least from what I have seen so far, it seems pretty open ended.  Unfortunately I haven't gotten the chance to pvp, which is pretty much what the end game is centered around.  But imo, from what I have seen of the pve, it is well done.  I played WoW for a couple of years and tried a couple of other mmos, this game is a breath of fresh air.....especially from WoW.

If you have any questions, I will try to answer them as best I can.

Oh, and I have already purchased the digital Imperial Edition pre-order.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've been playing these games since Daggerfall and I'm a big fan of the series.  I was a little apprehensive when they announced their plans to make ESO.  I still signed up for the beta and was able to get in on it.  It's pretty sweet, and does a good job of holding to the lore and keeping the feel of a typical ES game.   With the exception of it being on a much grander scale, and with lots of other players running around.  The environments are done very well, crafting is actually interesting and usefull.  The interface takes a little to get used to, same goes for combat and crafting...... but it's fun and kind of addicitng.  Character progression is very interesting too, there are a number of different paths you can go down, as well as crafting perks, etc.   At least from what I have seen so far, it seems pretty open ended.  Unfortunately I haven't gotten the chance to pvp, which is pretty much what the end game is centered around.  But imo, from what I have seen of the pve, it is well done.  I played WoW for a couple of years and tried a couple of other mmos, this game is a breath of fresh air.....especially from WoW.

View Quote

Thanks for the review...

Seems to be a lot of the opposite in this thread

What I don't get is the folks bashing it the most seem to ONLY be the bigger fans.  I guess I would feel the same if they all of the sudden made Battlefield a Single Player only game.  But , then again I think RPGs were born and bread for people to enjoy together.  That was the only reason I couldn't really get into Skyrim.  A ton of really fun things to do, but not having a few nut job RPGers running around was killing it for me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#15]
WTF. I was really looking forward to this. I even applied to beta and never got a key.

Now my dreams of a nice looking Everquest time game to pass downtime at work has been murdered.

I understand that the number of hardcore gamers doesn't make a modern EQ type game very profitable, but you'd figure that a bunch of armatures or modders would have taken the basics of EQ and Ultima and mashed them into modern graphics and written new stories and lore.

Something about playing online with people from around the world to work your way through a dungeon and solve problems is satisfying, even if it's just an online achievement, it's fun to win when you really put in the effort.

I miss tip toeing through new areas, scribbling down the names of people who could play their class well, organizing people together to take down a hard target that takes 20-30 minutes of coordinated fighting to defeat.

Vanguard, Guild Wars 2, Warhammer Online, etc, just went into easy mode with it. It takes almost no time to kill anything and you can link up with almost anyone and plow through content really quickly.

The last decent game that I was actually excited to log into when I was stuck at work with hours to kill was Age of Conan. And the devs couldn't produce enough content to keep the players satisfied.

That's the curse of MMO's, you always want that nostalgic feeling of wonder, fear, and achievement that you got from your first game. But it's like crack, it's a never ending chase.

There is an EQ emulator that I pop into every now and then and it's good for some laughs and fighting, but it lacks the big player base that spawned guild rivalries and epic moments like the live servers did.

I hope they can save this game. Vanguard failed to save theirs after a shitty launch and that was a pretty decent follow up to EQ. This Everquest Next looks like shit as well. Yes it's a fantasy game, I get it... but why does it have to look like a damn cartoon?

Take Age of Conan add badass content and character development and classes and release it! I actually like defined roles in games. It makes things more interesting when you have to solve shit with a set of skills rather than just having a half dozen super hybrids plowing everything and healing each other.

BAH!

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks for the review...

What I don't get is the folks bashing it the most seem to ONLY be the bigger fans.  I guess I would feel the same if they all of the sudden made Battlefield a Single Player only game.  But , then again I think RPGs were born and bread for people to enjoy together.  That was the only reason I couldn't really get into Skyrim.  A ton of really fun things to do, but not having a few nut job RPGers running around was killing it for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the review...

Ah, see I feel exactly the opposite.  RPGs like Skyrim and Oblivion and Morrowind (and Mass Effect, etc.) appeal to me precisely BECAUSE they are single player only.  Immersion in a role-playing game is key for me.  Not that I play with survival mods or get super heavy into the actual role-play or anything, but the idea that it all seems as seamless as possible is something that I prefer.  Walking through a forest only to see some naked guy bunny-hopping along shooting fireballs at the ground really breaks that immersion.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're playing on PC, right?

How are the graphics compared to, say, vanilla Skyrim?  Sometimes I see trailers and screenshots and say, "wow, that looks just like skyrim."  Other times, the muddy textures and jaggies just scream at me and I think, "damn, this shit looks like Oblivion, or worse."
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Going to pre-order the PC version next paycheck.

I also really want Destiny, but I can't justify buying a console for one game, especially when my PC shreds anything I throw at it now.

Hopefully I will become addicted, and stay in more
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ah, see I feel exactly the opposite.  RPGs like Skyrim and Oblivion and Morrowind (and Mass Effect, etc.) appeal to me precisely BECAUSE they are single player only.  Immersion in a role-playing game is key for me.  Not that I play with survival mods or get super heavy into the actual role-play or anything, but the idea that it all seems as seamless as possible is something that I prefer.  Walking through a forest only to see some naked guy bunny-hopping along shooting fireballs at the ground really breaks that immersion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the review...

LOL... Those guys are the best... Very simply one of two things.  Either a novice mage gone mad or a cursed thief; hands keep firing flames so they can't get into pockets.  Immersion is a state of mind.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Take Age of Conan add badass content and character development and classes and release it! I actually like defined roles in games. It makes things more interesting when you have to solve shit with a set of skills rather than just having a half dozen super hybrids plowing everything and healing each other.

View Quote

Wow, it's almost like we are related or something. I've been saying the same things for years!

I can't stand all of the newer MMOs because they don't have the grandeur or challenge of the old stuff.

I feel like they made the newer MMOs to be like a 3D cartoon version of Diablo 2. You just churn through mobs like there's no tomorrow.

I've been hoping for a long time that a company would make an updated version of EQ with new graphics, a real storyline, a new environment, and completely different lore. That would be a WoW killer.

I've been thinking a lot about what the draw was for me... I think it was playing an MMO in 1st person. I'm not really a fan of 3rd person MMO's at all really, but I can tolerate them.

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:57:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks for the review...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the review...

edit: Thanks for the link to that thread.... but taking advice on something that was posted in GD is a bad idea.  Most of them just love to swoop down and shit on everything.  

Some people hate things, just to hate them.... I find that especially true with gamers.  I wouldn't call myself hardcore, but I have played all the the games (some more than others) and have thoroughly enjoyed them.  I also got into mmos, (mostly WoW) and always thought that ES would be sweet for an online world..... as long as they didnt fuck it up.  I dont think they fucked it up, quite the opposite.  The game, as far as graphics, ui, aromor skins, and character models are definitely in the vein of skyrim.  So you wont necessarily find it hard to navigate, or interact with the world.  But with that being said, if you are using a pc, it's kind of a pain in the ass to use, like Skyrims was.  I'm sure mods will take care of that though.

I loved Skyrim, visually stunning, and very well done...... but after playing mmos, the world seemed sort of empty.  Some people like to interact with others, and some don't.  I guess that is why the hardcores pissed and moaned about it.  Or maybe they are worried the resources used to make new ES games will now be used to support ESO.  IDK

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How are the graphics compared to, say, vanilla Skyrim?  Sometimes I see trailers and screenshots and say, "wow, that looks just like skyrim."  Other times, the muddy textures and jaggies just scream at me and I think, "damn, this shit looks like Oblivion, or worse."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really wish I could post some screenshots!.... fuckin Bethesda

Im on a pc and not even on a supper high end rig....  High end for it's day, but its about 5yrs old now.    The game runs great on it and honestly looks a lot like skyrim.  I think they took what they could from skyrim and transfered it over to ESO.  There is definitely some polishing that needs to be done, but its still in beta.  Its actually kind of funny, because some of the NPCs dont have voice recordings for thier speech yet.  So sometimes you'll run into crazy robot boy who wants to sell you some boots or needs you to save his kid.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

LOL... Those guys are the best... Very simply one of two things.  Either a novice mage gone mad or a cursed thief; hands keep firing flames so they can't get into pockets.  Immersion is a state of mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the review...

LOL.  Fair enough.  maybe it just comes down to the fact that I hate people.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 2:12:27 AM EDT
[#24]
I got in on the beta to bad I can't tell you how badass it is going to be when I get on this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 3:52:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I got in on the beta to bad I can't tell you how badass it is going to be when I get on this weekend.
View Quote

This!  
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 5:42:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Curse.com is giving out beta keys for this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#27]
I may give it a chance. I do want it to be successful, but the beta I played a few months ago just didn't inspire me. Maybe by release it'll feel a lot better with polish and completed features and content.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#28]
got a beta key finally , will give it shot.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I can tell you that I just got a beta key. You can too. It was sent out by a tweet from curse.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I can tell you that I just got a beta key. You can too. It was sent out by a tweet from curse.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads-up, grabbed one. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend...
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 2:04:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Im going to run yall down with my horse then let my horse have its way with doug.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Downloading as we speak. Looks like the old Xbox gang might end up getting back together as members of the master race after all.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't know what I was expecting, but the whole Elder Scrolls world with tons of other people running around just doesn't feel right to me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't know what I was expecting, but the whole Elder Scrolls world with tons of other people running around just doesn't feel right to me.
View Quote

We cant talk about it, but this is the first time this series has made me go

Link Posted: 2/7/2014 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#35]
i give it a 8 out of 10 for the 6 hours i played so far. its not bad , i mean the graphics are nice . end game is all PVP i think for the most part.  I did to lvl 10 , i had fun. is it new and innovative?  no , but its not the same old mmo either. Nothing better out at the moment i think.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Still downloading. Fuck DSL.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not your connection they have a small server for dls took me 16 hours with a cable modem.

You'll prolly like it since you like wow

And 8/10 is reaching.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 6:41:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not your connection they have a small server for dls took me 16 hours with a cable modem.

And 8/10 is reaching.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And 8/10 is reaching.

yea i agree , now after playing a full day i give it a 7 out of 10 . I started to get bored doing the same running around type quests.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#39]
You really have to get past level 10 to get into the fun stuff.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#40]
So far I have gotten 2 builds to around level 5.  Yes, the run-a-round quests get a bit boring... but the fun part is the exploring in between.  Finding the skyshards, wood, runes, chests, etc...  It's the walk between the quest spots that make the game.  Tons of books(which help level skills like in Skyrim) and lore to find when searching things and good NPC interaction.

What I am most disappointed in is the combat.  I forget where I read about someone talking about collision detection, but, YES... This game would be a lot better with it.  When I'm charging with dual wield, I find myself running through enemies all the time.  And they seem to turn a hell of a lot faster than I can.  Kiting seems to be the best thing with ranged weapons or not.

The world looks pretty and seems to be limited amount of lag.  Loading screens on the other hand are a waiting game.

And I have yet to group up with anyone, although the XP bonus would be nice, but it seems to be entirely unneeded at this point.  Hopefully I will get to some PvP level; even though it's not why I want the game anyway.

I actually like the random help from other questers, I don't have to join a group but still seem to get things done with less stress.  I guess this could be a Pro or Con depending on the person.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And 8/10 is reaching.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And 8/10 is reaching.

Nope. It's my Internet. Maxes out at 550kB/s. Kinda fucking sad when we pay for 6Mbps. (Yes I know the difference between the bits and the bites. But 6Mbps should still be a lot closer to 1MB/s.)

Either way, fuck AT&T.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#42]
I only have one build so far level 7 I upgrade my rating after another day of playing but it still needs work. How do we group up I know three of us are playing we should be able to get a team together.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Nope. It's my Internet. Maxes out at 550kB/s. Kinda fucking sad when we pay for 6Mbps. (Yes I know the difference between the bits and the bites. But 6Mbps should still be a lot closer to 1MB/s.)

Either way, fuck AT&T.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And 8/10 is reaching.

Either way, fuck AT&T.
I will not post my Cox speedtest then.

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#44]
i have got each class to lvl 7 , so far i like the nighteblade with siphoning and bow , seems to be the best of the 4 i have tried for PVE.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
i have got each class to lvl 7 , so far i like the nighteblade with siphoning and bow , seems to be the best of the 4 i have tried for PVE.
View Quote

I only played 2 characters... a nightblade and templar.  Both bow/ dual wield.  I've never been much of a straight Mage or Tank.  I still have NO idea on what I would like for a main.

But the combat mechanics up close are pretty bad.  Maybe that's why the bow seems like such a better option.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I only played 2 characters... a nightblade and templar.  Both bow/ dual wield.  I've never been much of a straight Mage or Tank.  I still have NO idea on what I would like for a main.

But the combat mechanics up close are pretty bad.  Maybe that's why the bow seems like such a better option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. But I just love my 2h sword wielding mage so much.

I'm definitely going to be picking this one up.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Are you going to be able to explore all of Tamriel, or just certain areas?  I have read that PvP is in Cyrodiil and it takes a while to get there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 2:53:15 AM EDT
[#48]
They said there going to have natural terrain to block off certain parts of the map until it's ready. As for characters I only made a dragon knight which I liked.

I'll be picking it up on ps4.

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#49]
They lifted the NDA for beta testers today.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They lifted the NDA for beta testers today.
View Quote

Yep, should be a TON more info flowing shortly.  Tesotools.com should be a good skill calc when it goes live.  Which should be very shortly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top