Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm thinking of buying an Xbox One this weekend. I have been with xbox since Halo, but last year feature release at E3 turned me towards the PS4.

I hear that they have corrected some of the issues, and I want to know if it's worth the price.
View Quote

Is it worth $500? No, and I say that as someone who bought a bundle from Best Buy and paid ~$490 for the X1. I've played RYSE and that's it---I own Dead Rising 3 but haven't opened it. I spend my time playing the PS4 these days, and the X1 is only turned on to watch TV with the wife. I'll play Titanfall when it releases next month but the bulk of my gaming time will still be spent on the PS4.

ETA: I own every system but the WiiU, and last generation I played the 360 about 95% of the time.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Is it worth $500? No, and I say that as someone who bought a bundle from Best Buy and paid ~$490 for the X1. I've played RYSE and that's it---I own Dead Rising 3 but haven't opened it. I spend my time playing the PS4 these days, and the X1 is only turned on to watch TV with the wife. I'll play Titanfall when it releases next month but the bulk of my gaming time will still be spent on the PS4.

ETA: I own every system but the WiiU, and last generation I played the 360 about 95% of the time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm thinking of buying an Xbox One this weekend. I have been with xbox since Halo, but last year feature release at E3 turned me towards the PS4.

I hear that they have corrected some of the issues, and I want to know if it's worth the price.

I have over 30,000 gamerscore. I know that's not record breaking or anything, but It feels like a shame to turn my back on all of that.

I really only play BF4. Not sure if both will be worth keeping if I do pick one up. To be honest I am a little disappointed in the PS4. I don't really like the dashboard, and it cost 10 bucks a month to be able to play music while playing a game, I get booted from a game out to the dashboard often, I honestly like the 360 controller better, the PS4 doesn't support the wireless headset I had for the 360, and I don't feel the multiplayer is up to the par that xbox live is.

Battlefield is my game, I am rank 109 out of 110 on the PS4, had it briefly for the 360 before the PS4 came out, I think my stats would transfer... would appreciate some confirmation on that.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have over 30,000 gamerscore. I know that's not record breaking or anything, but It feels like a shame to turn my back on all of that.

I really only play BF4. Not sure if both will be worth keeping if I do pick one up. To be honest I am a little disappointed in the PS4. I don't really like the dashboard, and it cost 10 bucks a month to be able to play music while playing a game, I get booted from a game out to the dashboard often, I honestly like the 360 controller better, the PS4 doesn't support the wireless headset I had for the 360, and I don't feel the multiplayer is up to the par that xbox live is.

Battlefield is my game, I am rank 109 out of 110 on the PS4, had it briefly for the 360 before the PS4 came out, I think my stats would transfer... would appreciate some confirmation on that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your stats will transfer over, also  BF4 is my go to game on the xbone. You will not regret it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I get it. I have ~40,000 Gamerscore and I initially planned on not getting an X1. I wasn't happy about losing 6 years of achievements. To address your issues:

-Dashboard: I happen to like the dashboard more than the mess that is the X1's dashboard, but as I understand it Microsoft has announced that they will be updating the dashboard soon.

-$10/month for music streaming: I don't use that and don't care about it so I can't speak to it. I'm not aware of that functionality on the X1 either.

-Booted from game to dashboard: The ONLY game that has done that to me is BF4, and that is the fault of the game, not the system. It is VERY annoying though.

-360 controller: That's not a fair comparison as you can't use the 360 controller on the PS4, but I do agree---I really like the 360 controller. 360 controller > PS4 controller > X1 controller IMO.

-Wireless headset: Again, that isn't quite fair as a lot of peripherals like headsets aren't compatible with different systems. My Turtle Beach X42s weren't compatible with my PS3. Have you tried checking compatibility again? There was an update released this week for the PS4 that added some headset compatibility.

-Multiplayer on PS4: I had that exact same concern. I still think that it's fair to say that Microsoft has a more robust online capability. That said, I don't find the online experience on the PS4 to be lacking in any way. I play BF4 most of the time on the PS4, and I never have an issue finding a game, and I play and party chat with several Arfcommers regularly. Then there is the added bonus of PlayStation Plus which gives you free content every month.

Is the X1 worth $500? Not in my opinion. If I was still in the market for one, I wouldn't have an issue buying one from a private person for $450.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I get it. I have ~40,000 Gamerscore and I initially planned on not getting an X1. I wasn't happy about losing 6 years of achievements. To address your issues:

-Dashboard: I happen to like the dashboard more than the mess that is the X1's dashboard, but as I understand it Microsoft has announced that they will be updating the dashboard soon.

-$10/month for music streaming: I don't use that and don't care about it so I can't speak to it. I'm not aware of that functionality on the X1 either.

-Booted from game to dashboard: The ONLY game that has done that to me is BF4, and that is the fault of the game, not the system. It is VERY annoying though.

-360 controller: That's not a fair comparison as you can't use the 360 controller on the PS4, but I do agree---I really like the 360 controller. 360 controller > PS4 controller > X1 controller IMO.

-Wireless headset: Again, that isn't quite fair as a lot of peripherals like headsets aren't compatible with different systems. My Turtle Beach X42s weren't compatible with my PS3. Have you tried checking compatibility again? There was an update released this week for the PS4 that added some headset compatibility.

-Multiplayer on PS4: I had that exact same concern. I still think that it's fair to say that Microsoft has a more robust online capability. That said, I don't find the online experience on the PS4 to be lacking in any way. I play BF4 most of the time on the PS4, and I never have an issue finding a game, and I play and party chat with several Arfcommers regularly. Then there is the added bonus of PlayStation Plus which gives you free content every month.

Is the X1 worth $500? Not in my opinion. If I was still in the market for one, I wouldn't have an issue buying one from a private person for $450.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks for the breakdown.

My headset is the turtle beach xp 400 wireless. It "works" on the PS4, with the plug in cable, but it often hotmics and has a fair amount of static.

Link Posted: 2/6/2014 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait for E3 in June.  There may be a price drop.  Even if there is not, you will at least have more info on what games will be released for the X1 in the coming months/year.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone with both, how noticeable is the difference in graphics?
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't have both, but seen both played side-by-side in person - not long ago I had gotten together with a few buddies and we decided to see for ourselves what the difference was since there's all these "comparison" videos out there.  Understand that this was a totally unscientific test; just a bunch of guys in a room with a some beer, a couple of TVs and the consoles.  That said, in our estimation when you have them right next to each other, the difference is obvious to the naked eye - the PS4 versions of the games we tried (BF4, CoD, AC4, and the recent Tomb Raider re-release) all looked noticeably better and usually (though not always) smoother.  There was a lot of zooming in on rocks and skyboxes.  

On the other hand, when you just have one version or the other playing, it's hard to accurately tell which version it is.  The xbox still looks great, IMO, and without seeing both at the same time it's hard to tell any difference - if you had both versions running side by side I could tell you right away (usually) which was which, but let's say you had next gen Assassin's Creed 4 playing at your house and I came over, and I couldn't see actual console or any on-screen prompts that made it obvious you were using one or the other, I don't think I could personally tell whether you were running the X1 or the PS4.  The exception would be Tomb Raider, which was running at noticeably higher frames on the PS4; I think I could pick that up pretty easily and tell you which version it was.

What that will mean in a couple of years when devs learn to optimize for the systems fully remains to be seen.

Oh, and I'd second 501st's thing about waiting till E3.  There are rumors that there will be a cheaper discless version coming out at some point later this year.  Unconfirmed for now of course, but the guy who claimed that on neogaf clearly has some insider information because he has been 100% on his other predictions from Microsoft.  

The only reason you might want to jump is if you feel you MUST play titanfall and don't have a PC that will run it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 2:02:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 3:11:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

I have both systems and honestly there isn't any real difference.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 4:16:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Don't have both, but seen both played side-by-side in person - not long ago I had gotten together with a few buddies and we decided to see for ourselves what the difference was since there's all these "comparison" videos out there.  Understand that this was a totally unscientific test; just a bunch of guys in a room with a some beer, a couple of TVs and the consoles.  That said, in our estimation when you have them right next to each other, the difference is obvious to the naked eye - the PS4 versions of the games we tried (BF4, CoD, AC4, and the recent Tomb Raider re-release) all looked noticeably better and usually (though not always) smoother.  There was a lot of zooming in on rocks and skyboxes.  

On the other hand, when you just have one version or the other playing, it's hard to accurately tell which version it is.  The xbox still looks great, IMO, and without seeing both at the same time it's hard to tell any difference - if you had both versions running side by side I could tell you right away (usually) which was which, but let's say you had next gen Assassin's Creed 4 playing at your house and I came over, and I couldn't see actual console or any on-screen prompts that made it obvious you were using one or the other, I don't think I could personally tell whether you were running the X1 or the PS4.  The exception would be Tomb Raider, which was running at noticeably higher frames on the PS4; I think I could pick that up pretty easily and tell you which version it was.

What that will mean in a couple of years when devs learn to optimize for the systems fully remains to be seen.

Oh, and I'd second 501st's thing about waiting till E3.  There are rumors that there will be a cheaper discless version coming out at some point later this year.  Unconfirmed for now of course, but the guy who claimed that on neogaf clearly has some insider information because he has been 100% on his other predictions from Microsoft.  

The only reason you might want to jump is if you feel you MUST play titanfall and don't have a PC that will run it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could the differences be in tv's?
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly.  They were the same size and brand (Samsung LED), but I don't know how/if they were calibrated, and I'm assuming they weren't bought at the same time.  OTOH, they switched around the consoles between the TVs and you could still see a difference.  So it might have made some difference, but it certainly wasn't solely because of the screen.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#13]
You're welcome for the breakdown.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 3:12:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Possibly.  They were the same size and brand (Samsung LED), but I don't know how/if they were calibrated, and I'm assuming they weren't bought at the same time.  OTOH, they switched around the consoles between the TVs and you could still see a difference.  So it might have made some difference, but it certainly wasn't solely because of the screen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Copy that. I just calibrated my new tv last night and it made a good difference. I also got my xbox one. Like it so far. Need to get netflicks account set up.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Titanfall beta now open to all.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 2:56:00 AM EDT
[#16]
thanks i'll dl it tonight
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Hooray! I've experienced the dreaded black screen of death! I managed to fix it but WTF Microsoft?
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Waited to get my x1 with the first price drop, decided to pull the trigger on the titanfall bundle for $499.

Pick it up Tuesday, can't wait.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 8:00:32 AM EDT
[#20]
I'll be on tuesday when amazon drops off TF.

I also picked up a pair of the rechargeable battery packs and a charging stand.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 8:08:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Impressions of the new software/dashboard update?
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I dont really notice a difference.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I like that now you don't have to turn party chat on every time you join or start a party.

I wish they'd update it so a notification pops up whenever a friend comes online, but I hear that's coming.

Also, I got my offishul certified Microsoft headset adapter.  What a piece of shit that is.  It's good now because I can use my Astro mix amp to blend the chat and game sound again, but the chat sound quality is garbage.  Anyone who kinda raises their voice even a bit starts clipping and distorting badly.  It sounds like the people who are talking are like 100 yards away from the mic, shouting to you through a cardboard box or something.  

I preordered mine for $25 from Amazon, now they aren't available directly from Amazon right this moment, you can get them from other sellers but they're like $70 now.  This piece of shit ain't worth the cardboard packaging they put it in.  Save your money or wait until they fix this one or someone comes out with a better solution for using other than Microsoft headsets for chat.
View Quote
Did you update your controller WITH the headset adapter and headphones connected?

Titanfall can't get here fast enough.

Link Posted: 3/9/2014 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 12:12:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Yup. Followed the update instructions to the T.

View Quote

It works fine, just sounds awful.

ETA - That Titanfall controller is sick, BTW. I wish I had gotten one, I thought they were kinda gimmicky when I first saw them, but now I'm super excited for the game and anything related to it.

I just picked one up this weekend at BestBuy.  They had quite a few.  I agree I thought they were gimmicky and I've NEVER bought a game related accessory like this before.  I think it looks sick.

Link Posted: 3/9/2014 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Screw the controller. ..  i want to build a titanfall m4!!!!

Link Posted: 3/9/2014 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#28]
That's hot.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Oh my, the need to purchase is rising!

Edit:
I may or may not have just purchased an Xbox One.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone know the number to call about xbl gold purchase problems?
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Anyone know the number to call about xbl gold purchase problems?
View Quote

1-800-4MY-XBOX
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:39:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Info about xbox live programming coming later this year:

http://majornelson.com/2014/04/28/xbox-originals-coming-this-june-to-your-xbox/
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Microsoft's E3 press conference is on June 9th at 9:30 am PST / 12:30 pm EST.

Based on the rumors going around, it should be a solid conference.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:10:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:54:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Well my power supply seems to have crapped out. They are sending me a new one so hoping it fixes things.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Well my power supply seems to have crapped out. They are sending me a new one so hoping it fixes things.
View Quote

Good thing it's an external one unlike the PS4.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Decent E3 conference for Microsoft.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Picked up an Xbox one with Kinect yesterday for 240$ used in the box good deal?
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would say that is a pretty good deal considering new without the kinect is still $399.

I wouldn't use the kinect unless you have to though. Supposedly, you get a 10% GPU boost if you leave it disconnected.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I would say that is a pretty good deal considering new without the kinect is still $399.

I wouldn't use the kinect unless you have to though. Supposedly, you get a 10% GPU boost if you leave it disconnected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is at the discretion of the developer.  Kinect being plugged in or not, makes no difference.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#43]
which game would you get first ? Last games I really played a lot was fallout 3 and mortal kombat thinking I would like titanfall and wolfenstein!
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 2:17:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That is at the discretion of the developer.  Kinect being plugged in or not, makes no difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything I have read says that the kinect has to be disconnected for the 10% to be available.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Well looks like wolfenstein is in the cards for me then what other games are good along the lines I mentioned?
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Everything I have read says that the kinect has to be disconnected for the 10% to be available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assure you that isn't the case.  

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/06/05/phil-spencer-teases-something-new-at-e3-explains-performance-increase-looks-forward-to-sonys-show/
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assure you that isn't the case.  

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/06/05/phil-spencer-teases-something-new-at-e3-explains-performance-increase-looks-forward-to-sonys-show/

This is starting to make no sense at all....  Probably a goose chase like dedicated servers was.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Does anyone know if the new Rainbow 6 game will be available for xbox one?  

I may give Halo MP a try with the Master Chief collection coming out.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This is starting to make no sense at all....  Probably a goose chase like dedicated servers was.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What doesn't make sense?

Quoted:
Does anyone know if the new Rainbow 6 game will be available for xbox one?  

I may give Halo MP a try with the Master Chief collection coming out.

Yes.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top