BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 174
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#2]
With those prices, I'm out.  I'll pick one up in the PU.

Sexy ship though.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:13:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With those prices, I'm out.  I'll pick one up in the PU.

Sexy ship though.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/pgkagfzpcv2ifr/source/Vanguard_ALL_EXT.jpg
View Quote

The concept art with the three of them sitting on the tarmac is probably the best concept art to date.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#4]
melted a fighter for the harbinger I shall own all the bomber things
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:04:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Nyx landing zone preview video

https://vimeo.com/137655209
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Latest release looks great. I tried playing another match with my cutlass - I found my most successful strategy was tangling my ship up with the other ship and blasting away at their belly. Man I suck at space games. First half of the match my 4 year old was at the helm, we collided with a lot of asteroids.

I think I need to ccu my omega to an avenger...
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Latest release looks great. I tried playing another match with my cutlass - I found my most successful strategy was tangling my ship up with the other ship and blasting away at their belly. Man I suck at space games. First half of the match my 4 year old was at the helm, we collided with a lot of asteroids.

I think I need to ccu my omega to an avenger...
View Quote

This game takes practice and exercise.  The fights are long duration, nobody is running around with death rays, and PvP may very well come down to who gets tired and starts fucking up first.  If you want to get serious about combat, you need to spend a lot of time thinking about how you position your HOTAS, because the more comfortable and stable you are, the less muscle strain and the longer you can stay in a fight.  Work on placing your stick somewhere so that your arm lays naturally while being braced by either something padded and stable, or even better, your own body.

As for the asteroids, well, once I match speeds with my target, I imagine being connected to the target with a string, so all my momentum is tied to them, and it just seems to make asteroids almost trivial.  If they try to face off on me, I'm already zeroed in on them so they're at a disadvantage, and if they're just trying to evade, then they're dodging the asteroids for both of us.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Man, the social module looks spectacular...I have to admit, it is far more than I ever expected from the FPS play, in terms of graphics.  When it gets populated with more people, NPCs, shops, markets, etc....dude.

They nailed the atmosphere, ambiance, whatever.  I mean nailed it.  I totally feel like I walked into a great Sci-Fi novel.  It makes me consider going the RP route.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Amazon has gaming accessories on sale today (Sept 1), up to 50% off.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

So what's a good cheap person stick?  You assumed I had a hotas in response to me saying I'm terrible at flying, and I'm just keyboard and mouse ;)  although I did play some more and used a mustang instead of my cutlass, and the cutlass is just a pig right now (maybe it always will be).  Compared to the manuverability of the mustang, it is a whole different game.  Of course it is just an omega with 2 size 1 mounts so it can't kill a skilled opponent in free for all ;) but I did "better" at not dying immediately.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So what's a good cheap person stick?  You assumed I had a hotas in response to me saying I'm terrible at flying, and I'm just keyboard and mouse ;)  although I did play some more and used a mustang instead of my cutlass, and the cutlass is just a pig right now (maybe it always will be).  Compared to the manuverability of the mustang, it is a whole different game.  Of course it is just an omega with 2 size 1 mounts so it can't kill a skilled opponent in free for all ;) but I did "better" at not dying immediately.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There aren't any sticks on sale, unfortunately.    When I first clicked the sale link I was more excited, but it was only the one page of sale items.  Best item is probably the Logitech G13 game pad, 50% off.

Me personally, I'm using a Microsoft Sidewinder that I've had for a gazillion years.  I have the previous model too, that requires a game controller port.    Honestly, I think it works great.

Mouse comfort is just as important as joystick positioning.

More later...gotta do work.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Ha, yea, I had a sidewinder back when freespace 1 or 2 came out, no idea where that is now.  I may just wait for the star citizen branded hotas and buy that.

I tried out racing, and in the cutlass it was hilarious, I'd get the nacelles or the turret caught on those damn poles that stick out everywhere and have to back up to get unhooked.  Managed like half the gates (5) before the timer kicked me out cause everyone else had finished ages ago (multiplayer for rec of course! got like 50 rec from that).  Then I tried the mustang and wow, made it through a whole lap before it kicked me out, 100% improvement!  Tried again, and knocked a whole minute off my best/initial lap time.  At this rate in a few more tries I'll finish the race before it kicks me out.  

My main issue is the race course is more of a maze to me right now, I get through a gate and have no idea where I'm heading.  I figured out the radar tries to tell you where to go next, but it really is not intuitive at all how to get there.  Give me wipeout's half pipe, or F-Zero or mario kart or grand turismo even and I at least know where I'm going.  Ah well, few more tries and I'll have it memorized.  Whoever allowed those billboards so close to the course lanes should be fired.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#15]
It took me a few runs to get the race pattern down.  You need to divorce yourself from the idea of up and down, and use your roll so you're always pulling back on the stick (err, going up for you mouse folk).  Use your thrusters for greater control and tighter turning/climbing.  I want to set up pedals for thrusters.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:57:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, crap!  Now I've got a $40 G13 with free shipping in my Amazon shopping cart and I'm angsting over whether to pull the trigger!  Shit!
$40 a great price, or does it occasionally go lower or at least close to that?

ETA: NM.  Finally clicked pay and it was too late-- back up to $70.  Ah well, maybe someday.

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Endeavor concept art shown at DragonCon

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 11:32:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Endeavor concept art shown at DragonCon

http://i.imgur.com/g1lgFW1.jpg

View Quote

Neato, it has a ferris wheel.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Last night was the last night for me to goof off hardcore for awhile, so fired up Arena Commander.

Decided to kill some drones in Vanduul Swarm in an Avenger.

15 waves and 5 hours later, I had to self destruct and go to bed.  Payday was the 4th elite, and was as hard as people make it out to be...after you blow off his shields, he's damned near impossible to hit, and even with almost every unit on his ship in the red he was still maneuvering like a monkey on crack.

I was fucking tired at that point, but then the next wave showed up, and after Payday it was like spraying fat kids with a fire hose.  The next elite after that wasn't much harder.  That's about when I looked up to see the big 300 minutes flashing on the screen, but my ammo reloaded after the last elite, so I unloaded all my missiles before self-destructing.

Oh yeah....5 hours may sound slow as hell, but somewhere near the beginning I lost a ship due to 1 of only 2 asteroid collisions.  The next collision, a couple of waves later, didn't kill me or even damage me much, but it took out my right side laser cannon, so I was firing at half power for like the next 2 hours.

ETA:  Have you seen the sign hanging in the gun store?

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
That's in the social module thing? Yeah I bet that wont last long after the SJW crowd loses their shit over it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Last night was the last night for me to goof off hardcore for awhile, so fired up Arena Commander.

Decided to kill some drones in Vanduul Swarm in an Avenger.

15 waves and 5 hours later, I had to self destruct and go to bed.  Payday was the 4th elite, and was as hard as people make it out to be...after you blow off his shields, he's damned near impossible to hit, and even with almost every unit on his ship in the red he was still maneuvering like a monkey on crack.

I was fucking tired at that point, but then the next wave showed up, and after Payday it was like spraying fat kids with a fire hose.  The next elite after that wasn't much harder.  That's about when I looked up to see the big 300 minutes flashing on the screen, but my ammo reloaded after the last elite, so I unloaded all my missiles before self-destructing.

Oh yeah....5 hours may sound slow as hell, but somewhere near the beginning I lost a ship due to 1 of only 2 asteroid collisions.  The next collision, a couple of waves later, didn't kill me or even damage me much, but it took out my right side laser cannon, so I was firing at half power for like the next 2 hours.

ETA:  Have you seen the sign hanging in the gun store?

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=80304

That's in the social module thing? Yeah I bet that wont last long after the SJW crowd loses their shit over it.

I really doubt CR or his crew give a rat's ass about the SJWs.  Additionally, I suspect that the crew at CIG is sufficiently diverse in all ways to somewhat inoculate them from many of the attacks.

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 10:36:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I hope so but it seems like everyone caves to those assholes sooner or later.
View Quote

We've given CIG nearly 89 MILLION dollars for this game.  What leverage would the SJW pukes have?  Talk the big houses out of funding SC?  Scare away backers?

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#24]
The game is supposed to be realistic.  It's a gun slogan in a gun store.  Pretty sure it isn't going anywhere.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:26:41 AM EDT
[#25]
If anyone is looking for a good headset to play PC on that has a mic and whatnot, take a look at these guys.  My pair showed up today and I'm damned impressed.

The price dropped $10 bucks in the last week.  Absolutely freaking fantastic headset for $40.  I know it's not a screaming deal, but they are really damn nice.  As a whole, all the Etek stuff I've got has been great bang for the buck. They have a snagshout style try free kind of thing that I'm trying to get in on.  Will update if I do.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012EQGAWO

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 8:26:51 AM EDT
[#26]
I just got a set of Sony Bluetooth noise-cancelling headphones from Costco.  I still need to test the mic on TeamSpeak, but I think they'll work well.

Sony doesn't boost the base like everyone else does, which I kinda like...you hear so much more when the sound is accurate, and over-amplified base isn't drowning everything else out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I just got a set of Sony Bluetooth noise-cancelling headphones from Costco.  I still need to test the mic on TeamSpeak, but I think they'll work well.
Sony doesn't boost the base like everyone else does, which I kinda like...you hear so much more when the sound is accurate, and over-amplified base isn't drowning everything else out.
View Quote

You fucked up, man. "Open" headphones are way better.

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
https://youtu.be/3fD-M1F6L4g
http://youtu.be/8dj5G0isn9Y

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This man knows what he speaks.  I love my open can Sennheiser.  Gaming headphones are a gimmick.  A decent set of open cans will generally have better 3D sound.

I'm not saying the gaming headphones suck but I prefer the open cans.

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This man knows what he speaks.  I love my open can Sennheiser.  Gaming headphones are a gimmick.  A decent set of open cans will generally have better 3D sound.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither one of you read for shit.  Or absorb much from videos.

I got a set of noise cancelling headphones.  What's the big disadvantage of open headphones?  No noise cancellation, not even passive.

And they aren't gaming headphones, either.  Which is why an open mic is a concern that I need to test on TeamSpeak.

I'd love to try open headphones, because I hate when my ears get all hot under closed headphones, but I needed the noise cancellation and wanted something that would work for multiple devices and situations.

So, no, I didn't fuck up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 1:55:55 AM EDT
[#30]
I recently got a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-R70x along with a Element. Everything I listen to has me at .

Both the headphones and amp have a very neutral sound that doesn't over or under emphasize anything. Best audio purchase I have made, next to my subwoofer.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 3:27:28 AM EDT
[#31]
I use a Plantronics Gamecom 788 headset and it's actually pretty nice. I'm not an audiophile who will start trying to convince you this headset had muddy lows or other crap like that, but it sounds great to me and has held up well so far for probably 3/4 of a year to my big ass head.

http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-GameCom-780-Headset-Surround/dp/B00B1KJK22/
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 6:56:32 AM EDT
[#32]
My headphones have an ear thing on either side and a boom mic  That's good, right?
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I got a set of noise cancelling headphones.  What's the big disadvantage of open headphones?  No noise cancellation, not even passive.

And they aren't gaming headphones, either.  Which is why an open mic is a concern that I need to test on TeamSpeak.

I'd love to try open headphones, because I hate when my ears get all hot under closed headphones, but I needed the noise cancellation and wanted something that would work for multiple devices and situations.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have open headphones and a normal/typical place I live at. The headphones pretty much cancel out all the noise. I can't hear shit unless it's really loud or something.

Closed are recommended for people in places that are playing in loud areas. Open is just fine for average joe.

Hey, if you like what ya got. More power to ya. But for myself, whose played games online, having good sound IS an advantage when you're playing against other people.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I recently got a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-R70x along with a Element. Everything I listen to has me at .

Both the headphones and amp have a very neutral sound that doesn't over or under emphasize anything. Best audio purchase I have made, next to my subwoofer.

View Quote

Those people know what the fuck they're doing. I have AD500X, for around 100 dollars back when I got them. They're definitely better than my Turtle Beach headphones I bought for my Xbox 360 awhile ago.

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 2:30:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Guy gave me a brown leather coat tonight.  Trouble is, it's REALLY dark brown.  Anybody know a way to lighten leather without destroying it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Guy gave me a brown leather coat tonight.  Trouble is, it's REALLY dark brown.  Anybody know a way to lighten leather without destroying it?
View Quote

Are you lost?
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:41:14 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Are you lost?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you lost?

Nope.  Just looking to get my coat a more brownish color.  I'd have asked over at the official type RSI Brown Coats org forum, but I figured you guys would be a more reliable source of valid information concerning what we laughingly refer to as the real world.  See, I bought all of these freaking SC patches, and I don't have anything to stick them to.

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#38]
If you want to stain leather, shoe polish works pretty well, you just have to be careful to get it all rubbed in and dried before you touch it to anything else or you'll get other stuff stained too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Sounds like they'll be releasing Arena Commander 2.0 and "baby persistent universe" soon to satisfy their kick starter obligations... at least that's what the scuttlebutt is on the RSI forum.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Sounds like they'll be releasing Arena Commander 2.0 and "baby persistent universe" soon to satisfy their kick starter obligations... at least that's what the scuttlebutt is on the RSI forum.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

What are the supposed KS obligations?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

they release the game winter 2014?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my thought.  They slightly missed it.  What's it matter now?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#43]
They're going to release something for sure at citizen con, Oct 10th.  Maybe they'll release something before then, but I'm not getting my hopes up for anything huge.  There's definitely a lot of pent up completed work ready to release.  It is unfortunate that they have decided to go with a more traditional release structure.  Would have been cool to get daily/weekly builds without holding anything back besides the campaign.  Ah well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

They're going to release something for sure at citizen con, Oct 10th.  Maybe they'll release something before then, but I'm not getting my hopes up for anything huge.  There's definitely a lot of pent up completed work ready to release.  It is unfortunate that they have decided to go with a more traditional release structure.  Would have been cool to get daily/weekly builds without holding anything back besides the campaign.  Ah well.
View Quote
I think after they finish the merge of the development streams we will start seeing more frequent updates.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

The big hangups right now are engine/physics based, once those obstacles are overcome, then all the other stuff can start being released.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's some sort of language in the original kickstarter about allowing a year for missed deadlines, IIRC.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm told CitizenCon should be very exciting.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:18:02 AM EDT
[#48]

Both seinheiser and audiotechnica make gameing headsets now their not cheap but but when you pair them up with the right amp you won't find anything better.

I run the open back audiotechnica gaming series with an astro mix amp. I got both for 250 on one of the amazon black friday deals.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Hey guys I just saw this thread and im interested rolling with your guys but i really need some guidance on ship set up  and choices.  I bought a few ships to try out/give to my friends later on, I cant seem to make up my mind on which I like the best.  I also don't really know what I should do to properly equip these for arena commander.  They are all 100% stock and im getting RIPPED up.  I currently have a stock p-52 merlin, RSI Aurora LN, Orgin 315p, and a F7C-S (the stealth one).  I intend to do exploring, and team play with the squadron doing whatever we do.  I could imagine my position in the squad being more scouting/infiltration or piloting a capital/inforunner than combat oriented   I figure Ill prob end up buying one of the big capitals/frigates when we get closer to launch and prob grab whatever for fighters so i have something for combat before then.    Also do you guys have a TeamSpeak or anything set up yet?  Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Realize I'm terrible at the dog fighting part of the game when you follow my advice:

If you want to learn how to fly well, play the racing levels until you can complete the course without going off track or dying.  This forces you to understand manuevering much more than free flight does, and you really learn how your ship handles.  The different ships handle VERY differently.  Tips here are - you don't have to be at 100% throttle all the times, boost lets you make course changes that are otherwise impossible (so face a gate, fly straight to and through, then adjust course while boosting to face the next gate, repeat), and sometimes "slow is smooth and smooth is fast".  I found myself completely lost on the racing maps until I'd learned their layouts, so hopefully that isn't too frustrating for you.

Once you can race decently, you need to start experimenting with weapon loadouts.  None of the ships you have are that great for dog fighting, with the hornet being the best.  You can get a ball turret for your hornet using REC and load guns on it, and then you'll be pretty well situated if you want to be competitive in dog fighting.  The great thing about buying your weapons with REC is when the patch the game and change stuff, you can switch to spending your REC on the current best weapon and not be stuck with UEC ($) purchased guns that are now nerfed.  

Be aware that most weapon mounts can support multiple sizes of weapons, and they don't come stock with the largest size they support usually.  So you can use REC to upgrade all your weapons, even in slots that already have a weapon.  Usually you're best off having as many of your weapons the same as possible because the projectile speed and range will be the same, so if you hit, you hit with everything (some people call this an alpha strike, from mechwarrior terminology).   There aren't any detriments to that currently, so once you figure out what the best weapon is currently that'll fit on your ship, carry as many of them as you can.  Also there are 'gimbals' that allow a weapon to not be fixed forward toward your nose, and removing those allows a size larger weapon to be used.  This is useful in getting all your weapons to be the same size, sometimes it means removing a gimbal for that added size bump, or maybe adding gimbals when you aren't using the max size.
Page / 174
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top