Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 174
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's not that development takes a while, it's that they hyped each of the streams and then had to fall back to alternate demos.
They should have set more attainable goals or not hyped specific features to be shown. Three live streams in three months is a very rapid pace, especially if they want to show new content at each. I think they need to make the holiday one informal, no presentations or new content, just various offices in a bracket match, CR playing pick-up games and handing out freebies to those that kill him, a few skits, etc.

Kharn
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The livestream was really bad before you even consider what they'd hinted we would see.
I think the 2.6 PTU shows they've made some decent progress, there are still a number of bugs to fix and VOIP is very desperately needed for team combat to be fun in Star Marine, but overall, it's a good improvement. If only it weren't months behind schedule.

Kharn

I think I've figured out why EA keeps delivering shitty, half done games.  Some people would rather that than wait a few months.  

It's not that development takes a while, it's that they hyped each of the streams and then had to fall back to alternate demos.
They should have set more attainable goals or not hyped specific features to be shown. Three live streams in three months is a very rapid pace, especially if they want to show new content at each. I think they need to make the holiday one informal, no presentations or new content, just various offices in a bracket match, CR playing pick-up games and handing out freebies to those that kill him, a few skits, etc.

Kharn

I agree with both of you.

I dropped the money I did on this game because I didn't want a rushed product...because I believed in the vision of a game made great for the sake of making a great game, unrushed and built with the sheer love of creation.

Unlike others, I think the shitty live streams are something of a good sign.  It means they're to busy actually making the game to take the time to get the live stream properly organized.  I know that's not necessarily what it means, but it could be, and I choose to be an optimist.  Still, though, I agree with Kharn that a more informal, fun live stream would take less effort and be MUCH more enjoyable for everyone involved.

No CR playing though...that's as painful to watch as anything, it's clear he doesn't play the game.  Instead, it should be the ship designers, flying the ships they worked on.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm ok with the pace of development because I just went back to school full time and I won't have much free time for video games for a few years.  Take your time CR, take your time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I dropped the money I did on this game because I didn't want a rushed product...because I believed in the vision of a game made great for the sake of making a great game, unrushed and built with the sheer love of creation.

Unlike others, I think the shitty live streams are something of a good sign.  It means they're to busy actually making the game to take the time to get the live stream properly organized.  I know that's not necessarily what it means, but it could be, and I choose to be an optimist.  Still, though, I agree with Kharn that a more informal, fun live stream would take less effort and be MUCH more enjoyable for everyone involved.

No CR playing though...that's as painful to watch as anything, it's clear he doesn't play the game.  Instead, it should be the ship designers, flying the ships they worked on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The livestream was really bad before you even consider what they'd hinted we would see.
I think the 2.6 PTU shows they've made some decent progress, there are still a number of bugs to fix and VOIP is very desperately needed for team combat to be fun in Star Marine, but overall, it's a good improvement. If only it weren't months behind schedule.

Kharn

I think I've figured out why EA keeps delivering shitty, half done games.  Some people would rather that than wait a few months.  

Kharn

One of the worst streams I saw was Ben and Sandi trying to play Arena Commander. Absolutely painful to watch.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Is 2.6 worth checking out?  I have an invite to the PTU.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#5]
From what I'm hearing they are trying to push it to live tomorrow or Friday. Mostly small bugs with no big blockers at this point. 

Im just going to wait. 
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is 2.6 worth checking out?  I have an invite to the PTU.
View Quote

Ship combat is coming together nicely. The last two PTU patches they've tweaked some things and it's feeling really nice though some think it still needs more balancing. Star Marine is great but a bit arcadey though I think star marine is intended to be. FPS combat in the PU will be more tactical. Visuals are through the roof. Really. As for the crusader, I briefly hit 80-90+ frames per second but slowly degraded back to the mid 30's.

I'd say go for it but some are saying 2.6 is going to be pushed to PU friday so you may want to hold off till then.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 2:03:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ship combat is coming together nicely. The last two PTU patches they've tweaked some things and it's feeling really nice though some think it still needs more balancing. Star Marine is great but a bit arcadey though I think star marine is intended to be. FPS combat in the PU will be more tactical. Visuals are through the roof. Really. As for the crusader, I briefly hit 80-90+ frames per second but slowly degraded back to the mid 30's.

I'd say go for it but some are saying 2.6 is going to be pushed to PU friday so you may want to hold off till then.
View Quote

The advantage of going ahead now is you beat the download rush when it goes live for everyone.

I forgot to check until now, but have the invite as well.  I'll probably try to get it downloaded tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 5:18:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Re-entering gravity upside down
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The advantage of going ahead now is you beat the download rush when it goes live for everyone.

I forgot to check until now, but have the invite as well.  I'll probably try to get it downloaded tomorrow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With peer-to-peer, I don't think you'll see many problems with the server being unavailable.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

One of the worst streams I saw was Ben and Sandi trying to play Arena Commander. Absolutely painful to watch.
View Quote

I heard she called Ben creepy on one of the live streams. Ben is a terrible relations person. He's awkward on camera and looks awful. His T-Rex arms always distract me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Say what you want about Ben he comes off as genuine. The other people they get to fill in sound wooden.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Say what you want about Ben he comes off as genuine. The other people they get to fill in sound wooden.
View Quote

Genuine weirdo  

I don't mind him, but he and his wife or girl or whatever she is, are pretty strange.  They represent the typical basement dwellers well.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Genuine weirdo  

I don't mind him, but he and his wife or girl or whatever she is, are pretty strange.  They represent the typical basement dwellers well.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Genuine weirdo  

Wife.
I'll admit I gave Ben $25 towards his saving Wing Commander's animation cells effort, mainly because I want a shitty drawing of a Polaris to frame and hang next to the hardcopy brochure I got with mine.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:28:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ben has his own following within the SC community. He is awkward for sure but in a wholesome kind of way.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ben has his own following within the SC community. He is awkward for sure but in a wholesome kind of way.
View Quote

He was a central figure in the WC community before SC was ever proposed, if I understand it correctly...that's his follower base.  Awkward in a wholesome kind of way...good way of putting it.  His awkwardness makes it near-impossible to imagine him engaging in any sort of duplicity, which I think is very important for this grand project.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He was a central figure in the WC community before SC was ever proposed, if I understand it correctly...that's his follower base.  Awkward in a wholesome kind of way...good way of putting it.  His awkwardness makes it near-impossible to imagine him engaging in any sort of duplicity, which I think is very important for this grand project.
View Quote

Oh I know. I think I have an account on his wing commander forum (CIC?) and have posted there a few times many years ago. IIRC he also helped get the Star Citizen campaign off of the ground. I'm just saying he doesn't translate well top on screen for marketing, news, etc.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Oh I know. I think I have an account on his wing commander forum (CIC?) and have posted there a few times many years ago. IIRC he also helped get the Star Citizen campaign off of the ground. I'm just saying he doesn't translate well top on screen for marketing, news, etc.
View Quote

Well, the counterpoint to him IS Sandi, and she is pretty easy on the eyes, and is usually well spoken.  But yeah, I get what you're saying, and don't disagree.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figure Ben is the canary in the coal mine, if he were to quit, you know the shit has really hit the fan.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Well, the counterpoint to him IS Sandi, and she is pretty easy on the eyes, and is usually well spoken.  But yeah, I get what you're saying, and don't disagree.
View Quote

While mostly attractive, I think she's wooden and comes across fake as shit. See fly off mentioned above.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#20]
2.6 is live
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 3:46:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
2.6 is live
View Quote
Haven't even been able to check out my Caterpillar in the PU yet because jerk offs keep stealing it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 4:51:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Haven't even been able to check out my Caterpillar in the PU yet because jerk offs keep stealing it.
View Quote

oh god, I didn't even think about that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They really need to get item 2.0 working
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#24]
So before someone comes in talking about the game engine change (they went from Cryengine to Amazon Lumberyard) I want to point something out.  Lumberyard is a tweaked Cryengine 3.8 with scaleform removed and a gutted/rebuilt netcode using Amazon's cloud system.

All it is.  

Also, I wish my shitty connection would let me record quality video.  I stole a Caterpillar earlier, got stuck in the pilot seat, figured fuck it and set the self destruct, and ended up somehow standing in the hallway.  So I tried to make a mad dash for a cargo door.  Just got it open in time for the ship to explode.  It shot my guy out the cargo door and face first into the asteroid I was next to in Yela.

Almost as good as my Avenger coming apart in Q drive.  So my guy was just shooting forward by himself in a sitting position till I hit the play boundary.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oddly enough, I ran into Ben discussing another topic on reddit and got to chatting with him. Dude's had a pretty rough life, including his initial weight gain due to being stuck in a laying face down position in excruciating screaming pain for very long periods of time and becoming horribly depressed from it. I was talking to him about my own putting on about 45 pounds or so over the course of a couple years when I had a really bad time due to multiple deaths of close friends and in a very short period of time, then working it back off and getting back in shape, and he opened up about his experiences. All I have to say is people have shot themselves over a lot less over a lot shorter period of time, and I wouldn't even blame them... I'll give the guy some leeway. In fact, I'll give him all the leeway.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#27]

They really mailed it in with that one. A stylized F1 car with no wheels? It even has a rear spoiler!

Blah.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#28]

My wallet appreciates their choice.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm enjoying 2.6 and the new flight mechanics.

The Vanguard is pretty good again.  It can really take a beating.  Can't wait until I can have someone manning the turret too (with the turret mechanics working better).
The Cutlass seems very durable, as well.  Looking forward to the rework.

I just beat Pirate Swarm and earned my Pirate Caterpillar skin.    I had to win by flying around asteroids in wave 18 until there were only a couple of enemies left  Definitely more challenging.

Now on to Vanduul Swarm...
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Btw, if anyone can figure out what the new keybind to manipulate the HUD/MFD's is, I'd appreciate it.  I poked damn near every button and never got that to pop up.  Free look is Z but that doesn't let you use the cursor on the displays to turn stuff off and on, like missile racks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:13:38 AM EDT
[#31]
CR talking about the Lumberyard transition

RSI forums
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

RSI forums
View Quote

What does this mean for those of us that don't speak game designer lingo?
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Btw, if anyone can figure out what the new keybind to manipulate the HUD/MFD's is, I'd appreciate it.  I poked damn near every button and never got that to pop up.  Free look is Z but that doesn't let you use the cursor on the displays to turn stuff off and on, like missile racks.
View Quote

tI looked into it myself last night and It's apparently broken at the moment.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RSI forums

Not much really.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RSI forums

Their netcode might've just gone from shite to decent.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Their netcode might've just gone from shite to decent.

Kharn
View Quote

And the backend might have gotten more streamlined because Lumberyard had cut out a lot of built in Cryengine services that aren't really used anymore.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Got through Vanduul Swarm tonight.  Had to use a Sabre; I couldn't make it with the Vanguard.  The class 3 shotgun plasma cannons were great because the Vanduul are pretty weak.

Still ~750 Glaives left.  No LTI, though, only 48 month insurance.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Got through Vanduul Swarm tonight.  Had to use a Sabre; I couldn't make it with the Vanguard.  The class 3 shotgun plasma cannons were great because the Vanduul are pretty weak.

Still ~750 Glaives left.  No LTI, though, only 48 month insurance.
View Quote

48 months of playing time, correct?
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#39]
So, Ben has now declared that universe is no prob, but  figuring out cross chassis downgrades is too hard? Did I get that right?
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#40]
I would say that the real reason is that it would discourage people spending ever increasing amounts for ships. 

I'm not terribly upset about it. I usually spend a lot of time weighing getting each ship beforehand.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 12:22:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

AFAIK, yes that is the case.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 2:37:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I would say that the real reason is that it would discourage people spending ever increasing amounts for ships. 

I'm not terribly upset about it. I usually spend a lot of time weighing getting each ship beforehand.
View Quote

Yeah, problem is, the one ship I'm most concerned about is my 'lancer with the physical item pack. Can't get those anymore, and since the 'lancer is going to be my primary ride, it kind of sucks. I've got about everything in the fleet handled with LTI but my primary? Figures.

The thing about the ever increasing amount scenario is that I wouldn't expect CCD to net anything but credits, which are locked into being applied to more ships. How do they lose that way? All they'll accomplish is to piss off people they don't really need to piss off, and why do it if you don't need to?

ETA: The 'lancer was a gift.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that is the most popular interpretation.

I'm honestly not sure...All of my other ships have LTI, so I never bothered to find out how it works.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah, problem is, the one ship I'm most concerned about is my 'lancer with the physical item pack. Can't get those anymore, and since the 'lancer is going to be my primary ride, it kind of sucks. I've got about everything in the fleet handled with LTI but my primary? Figures.

The thing about the ever increasing amount scenario is that I wouldn't expect CCD to net anything but credits, which are locked into being applied to more ships. How do they lose that way? All they'll accomplish is to piss off people they don't really need to piss off, and why do it if you don't need to?

ETA: The 'lancer was a gift.
View Quote
Why not just get a stand alone CCU LTI lancer and sell the non LTI one in game on release? Since ship prices are supposed to go up on release you'll possibly make your money back in UEC on the LTI one. I'll be buying back my 325A and DUR packages for the extra NPCs eventually, but will be selling/trading the actual ships they come with in game since there will be a limit to how much UEC you can start out with.

Edit: Other than principle of course. The too hard statement to me basically says "we're not going to implement downgrades, so stop asking".  I know with my fleet I think the first few days of release I'll be swapping hardware and customizing load outs, so I don't mind hanging on to non LTI ships to sell in game for UEC.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I picked up a Glaive to try out.  It's pretty underwhelming for a $350 ship - it's clearly inferior to a Sabre or Super Hornet.  It'll take a lot of buffs to make it worthwhile.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Finally got around to watching the Star Marine promo vid. Not bad, except it should have ended with the last man getting splattered across a ships windshield.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I picked up a Glaive to try out.  It's pretty underwhelming for a $350 ship - it's clearly inferior to a Sabre or Super Hornet.  It'll take a lot of buffs to make it worthwhile.
View Quote
The alien ships are intentionally poor performers, they're priced based on rarity as collectors' items.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Finally put my Hybrid drive in and decided to download 2.6. Looks like, by the time it's finished, it'll BE 2947. Anybody else having issues?
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Finally put my Hybrid drive in and decided to download 2.6. Looks like, by the time it's finished, it'll BE 2947. Anybody else having issues?
View Quote

Even on full speed and p2p a couple days ago my wife's pc was only getting around 1.5Mb
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Even on full speed and p2p a couple days ago my wife's pc was only getting around 1.5Mb
View Quote

HA! I've got a guaranteed DL speed. Left the DL going when I went to bed, 9 hours later, I checked on it, my DL speed was wandering around 0.2-0.5kb. Estimated time to complete was in the neighborhood of 20,000 days and change.
Page / 174
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top