Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Posted: 10/8/2012 1:48:10 AM EDT
I'm still on the 14-day trial, and trying to decide whether to subscribe.  I've done a bunch of combat missions, and some mining (boring) and some exploration (mind-numbingly boring).  The level 1 combat missions are repeating now, regardless which agent I use - I've done some of them 3 times.  And the pay sucks; I'm not going to be able to afford a better ship than my Coercer anytime soon at this rate.  I was thinking about building up enough standing with a corp to get level 2 missions, partially just to get some different and more challenging missions, and partially because I'm hoping that they'll pay better.

Can I run level 2 combat missions with my Coercer?  And what else can I be doing in EVE that is moderately interesting?

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 1:51:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I've played a lot of MMOs, and EVE is the most "This game is more of a job than your real job" game i've ever played.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 3:25:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm still on the 14-day trial, and trying to decide whether to subscribe.  I've done a bunch of combat missions, and some mining (boring) and some exploration (mind-numbingly boring).  The level 1 combat missions are repeating now, regardless which agent I use - I've done some of them 3 times.  And the pay sucks; I'm not going to be able to afford a better ship than my Coercer anytime soon at this rate.  I was thinking about building up enough standing with a corp to get level 2 missions, partially just to get some different and more challenging missions, and partially because I'm hoping that they'll pay better.

Can I run level 2 combat missions with my Coercer?  And what else can I be doing in EVE that is moderately interesting?

You usually want a cruiser for level 2 missions, though some could be completed in a destroyer.  Battlecruiser for level 3, battleship for level 4.  I'd recommend doing the Sisters of Eve mission arc in Arnon (Arnon IX - Moon 3 - Sisters of Eve Bureau).  Their payout is significantly higher than level 1 or 2 missions.  By the end, you should have a lot more money, which you'll probably need for buying a cruiser to beat the end 'boss.'  Sadly, that's about as interesting as a lot of the PVE gets in EVE.  A lot of it is just repetitive and grindy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#3]
If you do stick it out make sure you train the proper skills. I bought my first battleship for 70mil isk, had it for about 10minutes before i blew it up on a mission. All because my guns weent fast enough to track a small fighter with warp jammer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've played a lot of MMOs, and EVE is the most "This game is more of a job than your real job" game i've ever played.

This , boring ...
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Just started a few weeks ago with a few other Arfcomers, we are doing mining and missions to build up our wallets and let our skills develop

We couldn't find a decent corporation to accept noobs so we set up our own corporation to lower the tax rate and give us a place to hang out together till we can either take it to the next level or move on to a bigger corporation.  Send me an IM if your interested in joining us, we have our own Teamspeak server.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 11:27:27 PM EDT
[#7]
EVE is cool if you are into Sci-Fi. There is a lot of complexity and can be fun if you can learn the mechanics, are good at making internet friends, or have a lot of spare time with nothing to do. I only played for 3 months. I had fun, but I came to the realization that I would never spend enough time on the game to fully enjoy it, and that I would never be as skillful as long time players due to the leveling system (no matter how long I played).

Single player in EVE is just a mechanism to to earn isk to do everything else in game. Though, there are better ways to earn isk. I had an alt account that was a trader in one of the lesser trade hubs. I would log on twice a day and transfer my profits to my main account. I earned a ton of money that way, for only ~20 minutes a day. The heart of the game is in your interactions with other players. I didn't leave high-sec space much, or interact with many other players, and I didn't get as much out of the game as I could have.

Oh, and trust no one. Lying, stealing, and deceit (even on the forums), are allowed. Let your guard down and you will lose.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 1:20:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 4:35:25 AM EDT
[#9]
i've been playing for about a month. getting my skills up so i can run wormholes.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 10:53:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just started a few weeks ago with a few other Arfcomers, we are doing mining and missions to build up our wallets and let our skills develop

We couldn't find a decent corporation to accept noobs so we set up our own corporation to lower the tax rate and give us a place to hang out together till we can either take it to the next level or move on to a bigger corporation.  Send me an IM if your interested in joining us, we have our own Teamspeak server.

To any ARFCOM member playing Eve, I'll second AJ's post.  We have a good casual corp going right now until we're ready for something bigger.

Whats the name of the corp? Ill look you losers up!

Link Posted: 10/10/2012 10:54:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i've been playing for about a month. getting my skills up so i can run wormholes.

Get your skills up and get an armor T3 Loki or Legion and come join our corp. on a good week you can earn a bill isk!
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 11:45:24 PM EDT
[#12]
http://eve-search.com/thread/1400554-0

for anyone wanting jump clones read this thread. really useful service and it's free
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To any ARFCOM member playing Eve, I'll second AJ's post.  We have a good casual corp going right now until we're ready for something bigger.

Whats the name of the corp? Ill look you losers up!

You have to know the secret handshake,  there will be no War Dec'ing the noobs
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 2:26:02 AM EDT
[#14]
OMG 5 years of my life gone to that game.  I won't ever touch it again.  <––- Flew dreads and made billions in a single day.  I think my best week was 13 billion.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OMG 5 years of my life gone to that game.  I won't ever touch it again.  <––- Flew dreads and made billions in a single day.  I think my best week was 13 billion.  

So do you still have your account?  
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Haven't played in a bit but tossing around the idea of re-subbing just to check it out.  I don't remember exactly but think my mining skills were just hitting the level of non-embarrassing.  You guys all driving Hulks or you doing some jet canning with somebody to scoop em up?
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 4:20:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the invite guys.  Don't realize how much crap you accumulate in your item hangers until you load up 3 full Itty III's to move it all
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 5:08:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So do you still have your account?  

I lost it in a tragic boating accident.

Link Posted: 10/13/2012 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#19]
EVE is an amazing and incredible game, best I've played and I've played a lot.

I flew with some great capsuleers and participated in killing thousands of ships, ran lvl4s while half napping. Had millions*

But it's like a full time job. I had to give it up.

*Was years ago, there are probably lvl 10 missions now and a billion isk will buy you a shuttle
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I just don't have the time for it.  It is as others have said, extremely consuming.  I play Star Trek online for quick easy missions and ship to ship fighting fun.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#21]
If any of you experienced players have any advise, other than quit now while we still have some semblance of a life, we'd love to hear it.  Post it here or shoot me a IM for our TS info.  Or if you want to join our casual corp and run some missions and make a little ISK we'd be happy to have more ARFcomers join us.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#22]
i played it hardcore for 3 years, get out while you can. selling my accounts netted me over 5000 in real USD.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#23]
http://www.eve-wiki.net/index.php?title=Category:Tutorial_Missions

This has walk through for most of the newbie career missions
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#24]
If I had any advice for anyone that wants to play EVE and have fun, it would be to not try to play the game 'for free.'  You can earn enough ISK to get a PLEX every month and much more, but unless the money earned is incidental to the playstyle that you enjoy, it will always feel like a chore.  Pay the subscription, and dump a few bucks into the game for a PLEX you can sell in Jita when you need an ISK infusion.  If you're PLEXing for cash, don't spend it unwisely.  Being a noobie in a really expensive ship just makes you a target.  PLEX for convenience, not for shinies.  You can buy, fit, and lose half a dozen (or more!) battlecruisers in solo PVP for the ISK that one PLEX will get you, and still have ISK left over.  Or you could get one HAC and bling it out, then lose it because you didn't have the character or piloting skills to keep it.

Play with friends, or play in a corp and make friends.  Flying solo is boring.

Quoted:
EVE is an amazing and incredible game, best I've played and I've played a lot.

I flew with some great capsuleers and participated in killing thousands of ships, ran lvl4s while half napping. Had millions*

But it's like a full time job. I had to give it up.

*Was years ago, there are probably lvl 10 missions now and a billion isk will buy you a shuttle

Inflation is actually fairly under control, and the max is level 5 missions - which are in low/nullsec, and usually require at least two people.  Most people stick to L4's because they're safe and profitable.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#25]
It pulled me in for awhile.  This photo sums it up

Link Posted: 10/22/2012 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It pulled me in for awhile.  This photo sums it up

http://mmoreporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/LearningCurve1.jpg

That is about how I feel, but that is why I don't play other MMO's, too simple
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 12:08:10 AM EDT
[#27]
So we have had a War Dec put on our week old corp,  any advice or if anyone is part of a corp that would be interested in helping us out, we would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 4:13:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So we have had a War Dec put on our week old corp,  any advice or if anyone is part of a corp that would be interested in helping us out, we would appreciate it.

I'm not terribly familiar with all the new war dec mechanics they added over the summer, so I can't help you too much there (with regards to hiring mercenaries/allies and such).  However, probably the worst thing you can try to do is fight.  If you guys are just a hisec corp that does mining and the like, someone probably sees you as easy targets.  Considering you probably lack a lot of PVP experience or character skills, they are probably right.  But for starters, get some intel on whomever wardecced you.  How many players are in their corp?  What do their corporate killboards look like (check eve-kill.net and battleclinic)?

If it's like a one man corp (if they're just wardeccing you to grief you, then this is a real possibility), just look up the CEO of the corp.  On those killboards, you can check and see what kind of ships he kills, what kind of ships he uses, what kind of ships he loses.  This might give you a better idea of what you are facing, but it's not the entire story.  He could have out of corp friends that could be ready to swoop in and provide him with remote rep in case you guys actually manage to put up a fight.  You probably won't be able to DPS through the reps, and if you shoot the rep ships, they just warp off and come back two minutes later in a combat ship (because now that you shot at them, they can shoot at you).
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 7:44:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not terribly familiar with all the new war dec mechanics they added over the summer, so I can't help you too much there (with regards to hiring mercenaries/allies and such).  However, probably the worst thing you can try to do is fight.  If you guys are just a hisec corp that does mining and the like, someone probably sees you as easy targets.  Considering you probably lack a lot of PVP experience or character skills, they are probably right.  But for starters, get some intel on whomever wardecced you.  How many players are in their corp?  What do their corporate killboards look like (check eve-kill.net and battleclinic)?

If it's like a one man corp (if they're just wardeccing you to grief you, then this is a real possibility), just look up the CEO of the corp.  On those killboards, you can check and see what kind of ships he kills, what kind of ships he uses, what kind of ships he loses.  This might give you a better idea of what you are facing, but it's not the entire story.  He could have out of corp friends that could be ready to swoop in and provide him with remote rep in case you guys actually manage to put up a fight.  You probably won't be able to DPS through the reps, and if you shoot the rep ships, they just warp off and come back two minutes later in a combat ship (because now that you shot at them, they can shoot at you).

I have looked around for as much intel as I can find, it looks like to me it is 1 guy with an alt in a corp.  The CEO has no kills, but is a 2010 character, the other toon came out and can flipped one of us last night after declaring war, he has a bunch of kills but hasn't had a kill for 3 or 4 months so I think it might be a bought account.

We are noobs, so I am thinking of just moving systems till the war dec is over.  If we were more established I might stick around and fight but, we struggle with PVE missions still so I have no intrest in PvP till I can win.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have looked around for as much intel as I can find, it looks like to me it is 1 guy with an alt in a corp.  The CEO has no kills, but is a 2010 character, the other toon came out and can flipped one of us last night after declaring war, he has a bunch of kills but hasn't had a kill for 3 or 4 months so I think it might be a bought account.

We are noobs, so I am thinking of just moving systems till the war dec is over.  If we were more established I might stick around and fight but, we struggle with PVE missions still so I have no intrest in PvP till I can win.

What's the CEO and the other guy's name?  PM it to me if you want to keep things private.  I'll take a look myself and see what I can see.

Moving systems would help.  I'm not sure if it's viable anymore after the wardec changes, but what you used to do if this happened was everyone would drop corp (except for the CEO or an alt of the CEO or something), which would free everyone from the wardec.  With everyone out of the corp, the griefer would be denied any easy targets and would not pay to re-up the wardec after the first week goes by.

Have everyone in your corp add the two characters as contacts with -10 standing.  This way, you can see when he signs on.  If he's on, watch local for him.  As soon as you see him appear in your system, dock up (you should be flying your mining or mission ships pre-aligned to a station if at all possible).  If you guys have any shiny toys (it doesn't sound like it?) put them away.  Fly cheap ships you can afford to replace in case he catches you.  Even if you move systems, someone can pay an NPC (called a locator agent) to find out what system someone is in.  It takes some time and some money, so it can't be done infinitely, but if you guys just move your op once, expect him to possibly come knocking on your door again.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

What's the CEO and the other guy's name?  PM it to me if you want to keep things private.  I'll take a look myself and see what I can see.

Moving systems would help.  I'm not sure if it's viable anymore after the wardec changes, but what you used to do if this happened was everyone would drop corp (except for the CEO or an alt of the CEO or something), which would free everyone from the wardec.  With everyone out of the corp, the griefer would be denied any easy targets and would not pay to re-up the wardec after the first week goes by.

Have everyone in your corp add the two characters as contacts with -10 standing.  This way, you can see when he signs on.  If he's on, watch local for him.  As soon as you see him appear in your system, dock up (you should be flying your mining or mission ships pre-aligned to a station if at all possible).  If you guys have any shiny toys (it doesn't sound like it?) put them away.  Fly cheap ships you can afford to replace in case he catches you.  Even if you move systems, someone can pay an NPC (called a locator agent) to find out what system someone is in.  It takes some time and some money, so it can't be done infinitely, but if you guys just move your op once, expect him to possibly come knocking on your door again.

So other than just griefing, what does the guy get out of a wardec?

He's out 50million ISK to do it.

If we fly cheap, empty ships, there's no loot, so does he get something for killing someone? I'm just trying to see why you would do it other than just to give people a rough time.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 4:44:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What is the comp of this coro that declared war on you?
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 6:23:40 AM EDT
[#33]
I started out pretty heavy, 3 years of 3 accounts of 3 characters each Time in Wildly inappropriate, Goon and  NC , now I just pop in occasionally on my main and pew pew some evil fucking pirates.

this game takes * a lot * of work.

YMMV

nomon
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the comp of this coro that declared war on you?

They only have 2 members, looks like a main and an alt.  So far no action, they havent logged on since first placing the war dec.

their ticker is -0.5-
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 10:47:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Been playing EvE since 2006.  Been in the big coalitions and some of the biggest battles ever.  I have 106k skill points.   EVE is a second job, but an amazing game if  you get into null sec space.  Politics is everything, and there is billions to be made and lost.  I am currently taking a break because  real life is more important.  I might join up with you arfcom guys just to hang out and play little bits at a time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Been playing EvE since 2006.  Been in the big coalitions and some of the biggest battles ever.  I have 106k skill points.   EVE is a second job, but an amazing game if  you get into null sec space.  Politics is everything, and there is billions to be made and lost.  I am currently taking a break because  real life is more important.  I might join up with you arfcom guys just to hang out and play little bits at a time.

We'll be supportive and help you limit your play time, promise!
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 3:55:47 AM EDT
[#38]
76m SP here, 08 player. A huge chunk of that SP is invested into flying and gunnery, was working on missiles when I quit. Perfect SB pilot, perfect covops pilot, black ops, marauders, transports, assault frigs, heavy assault cruisers, T3 Loki, faction BS (max skills for Machariel and Bhaalgorn IIRC, also have a gank Vindicator somewhere and a gank Panther), etc.

Too bad I don't play anymore, I'd be able to help you guys learn to grief people in hisec if CCP would stop nerfing everyfuckingthing.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
76m SP here, 08 player. A huge chunk of that SP is invested into flying and gunnery, was working on missiles when I quit. Perfect SB pilot, perfect covops pilot, black ops, marauders, transports, assault frigs, heavy assault cruisers, T3 Loki, faction BS (max skills for Machariel and Bhaalgorn IIRC, also have a gank Vindicator somewhere and a gank Panther), etc.

Too bad I don't play anymore, I'd be able to help you guys learn to grief people in hisec if CCP would stop nerfing everyfuckingthing.

Yeah i have all the fun toys also.  Too bad i dont have the time anymore.

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Been playing EVE for about 6 yrs. If you ain't pvping, you ain't playing!

TRI / D00M. forever!
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I never played EVE. When I think of a space combat game, I think of Wing Commander, TIE Fighter, Freespace, etc. EVE is just . Star Citizen is the space combat sim MMO I've been waiting for.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Good luck with the wardec. If it is just one guy just flip it around and have 1 guy camp his stations.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#43]
pm ticker of arfcom corp

Link Posted: 11/7/2012 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
pm ticker of arfcom corp  

your inbox is full
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#46]
I will be back from afghanistan next month.  I will try and link up with you arfcomers then.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 7:49:57 AM EDT
[#47]
I would also suggest getting on youtube and pulling up a channel called eveiseasy garmon is basically a pvp legend and watching some of the educational videos he has made will get you a huge upper hand over other newer players and older players alike.  I would suggest looking for the scouting and dscan one first.  I learned tricks in that one and I think everyone else can too.  Look at the rupture solo video as well most people can fit that pretty quick and can really get into some good brawls with that fit and tactic he uses.
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Lemme know what the corp name is or what your pub chat is. I just started a trial to get back in touch with some folks. Would love to FC for you guys and warcoach / max your isk.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 6:27:59 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm back in for at least the next 30 days or so.  Friend wanted to come back, and since I usually co-op whatever with him, I took up the special $10 offer they had for coming back for Retribution.  Currently mostly AFK mining in a Retriever while I work on stuff in Photoshop.  If any of you guys need something, drop me a line at Keirsu.  I'm pretty well versed in PVE ship fittings and general bearing, and have a little bit of PVP fitting and combat experience.  I could bring some of you newbies along on some L2's/L3's/L4's to show you what's what or just fleet up and share standing gains so you can more quickly move up to your own L4's.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone in a good corp?  50 mil sp player here... max missile / gunnery skills .... max tengu / loki skills... looking for  a chill corp
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top