Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Diablo 3 Official Thread (Page 2 of 32)
Page / 32
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 1:17:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#1]
I played it for a little over an hour this weekend. My main complaints are that they went with a barbarian for the warrior/knight/paladin type character and the lack of character customization. Otherwise it seems cool enough. I didn't play much Diablo 2. I only got past the first act to the second game location (some city). I beat the first one a few times. I still have the disc around here somewhere.

Originally Posted By MauserMark:
Also surprised at the requirements of the game.

Either it's in beta and they haven't completely polished it to work on a variety of systems, or already my machine is out of date.

Running a 4ghz Athlon II
GTX 550
8 gb ram.

The game to does pause often, like it's loading the upcoming monsters or environments.

Don't really understand this, play Total War series and SC2 at max settings.

Ran beautifully smooth for me at 1920x1080 with everything turned up (except maybe shadows). Intel Q8400 at 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, and GTX 460 1GB graphics card.

Originally Posted By RabidMonkeyPox:
My only complaint is the lack of a Paladin, yeah I know monk but come on peoples!!!!!!!!

Yeah I guess the barbarian is supposed to take the warrior/paladin role. I wanted a more traditional sword and shield or two hander type character. What I want to know is who the hell thought a witch doctor class would be popular? I predict it'll be by far the least played class.
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Alien:
I played it for a little over an hour this weekend. My main complaints are that they went with a barbarian for the warrior/knight/paladin type character and the lack of character customization. Otherwise it seems cool enough. I didn't play much Diablo 2. I only got past the first act to the second game location (some city). I beat the first one a few times. I still have the disc around here somewhere.

Either it's in beta and they haven't completely polished it to work on a variety of systems, or already my machine is out of date.

Running a 4ghz Athlon II
GTX 550
8 gb ram.

The game to does pause often, like it's loading the upcoming monsters or environments.

Ran beautifully smooth for me at 1920x1080 with everything turned up (except maybe shadows). Intel Q8400 at 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, and GTX 460 1GB graphics card.

My only complaint is the lack of a Paladin, yeah I know monk but come on peoples!!!!!!!!

Yeah I guess the barbarian is supposed to take the warrior/paladin role. I wanted a more traditional sword and shield or two hander type character. What I want to know is who the hell thought a witch doctor class would be popular? I predict it'll be by far the least played class.

I have a younger cousin, practically treat him like a nephew, he came over to try out the beta and was all jacked about the Witch Doctor.  I mean he's seen every video out on the internet about Diablo 3, he rolled a WD and in 15 minutes said he will never make one once the game comes out.  Yeah nothing like playing what looks like a African stereotype running around with a blow dart.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Running a 4ghz Athlon II
GTX 550
8 gb ram.

I have a younger cousin, practically treat him like a nephew, he came over to try out the beta and was all jacked about the Witch Doctor.  I mean he's seen every video out on the internet about Diablo 3, he rolled a WD and in 15 minutes said he will never make one once the game comes out.  Yeah nothing like playing what looks like a African stereotype running around with a blow dart.  

I dunno.  I tried the WD just cause it seemed to be closest to a necro.  And, honestly, it wasn't bad.  The Zombie Dogs and that Ghoul Hand snare made it pretty fun.  I do foresee much panty twisting about the whole stereotyping and perceived racism, of it though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to be playing the Witch Doctor specifically because he's a hilarious caricature of some hilarious shit.

Just like the Monk and Barbarian are as well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#5]
What I want to know is who the hell thought a witch doctor class would be popular? I predict it'll be by far the least played class.

I predict you're flat wrong.  People will roll witch doctors just for the lulz of throwing spiders and frogs at people, summoning weird creatures, etc.

I think the monk will be the least played class.  I think the "ZOMG I CAN DO THE KUNG FUS" will wear off pretty fast.
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 8:37:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HMR85] [#7]

Running a 4ghz Athlon II
GTX 550
8 gb ram.

Well, A lot of people wanted the Necromancer to make a return. The druid was also pretty popular in the D2 LOD. So I guess they figured instead of making two separate classes they would just combine them together. I managed to play the Witch Doctor to level 10. It was fun but I was not overly impressed. I could see them being a force to be reckoned with later in the game though.

I really enjoyed playing as the Barbarian. He has always been my go to class since D2. I thought the Sorcerer was pretty cool also.

Cons: I can't stand the UI tbh. The fact I can really only use 2 spells at a time is BS. It would be nice if you could put more down on your tool bar outside of the ones they already have set for you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#8]
The game wasn't terrible, but it just wasn't that great either.  I can't imagine I'll be paying 60 bucks for it, I'll probably wait a year or so when that price drops in half.
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 11:51:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Credge] [#9]

Originally Posted By HMR85:

Running a 4ghz Athlon II

GTX 550

8 gb ram.

Well, A lot of people wanted the Necromancer to make a return. The druid was also pretty popular in the D2 LOD. So I guess they figured instead of making two separate classes they would just combine them together. I managed to play the Witch Doctor to level 10. It was fun but I was not overly impressed. I could see them being a force to be reckoned with later in the game though.

I really enjoyed playing as the Barbarian. He has always been my go to class since D2. I thought the Sorcerer was pretty cool also.

Cons: I can't stand the UI tbh. The fact I can really only use 2 spells at a time is BS. It would be nice if you could put more down on your tool bar outside of the ones they already have set for you.

You can. Under gameplay the last option on the list allows you to do whatever you want with those skills.

ETA: The fact that it's off by default is a bad sign.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 12:18:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WarWeapon762] [#10]
Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:
The game wasn't terrible, but it just wasn't that great either.  I can't imagine I'll be paying 60 bucks for it, I'll probably wait a year or so when that price drops in half.

Considering how long it took Diablo 2 to drop in price, I wouldnt hold my breath
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 1:27:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By WarWeapon762:

Considering how long it took Diablo 2 to drop in price, I wouldnt hold my breath

That, and you might miss out a lot of in game stuff over the course of a year.

Link Posted: 4/26/2012 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been in the beta for a while and I am an old hand at D2.  My only complaints are:

Chat window: Fucking tiny.
Game creation for MP Games: Awful.  They need to go back to the D2 system of custom named games with or w/o passwords.

The game itself is outstanding.  I'm sure it will consuming a great deal of my off-duty time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Running a 4ghz Athlon II
GTX 550
8 gb ram.

The monk is the fighter/healer hybrid in place of the paladin. The barb is still just a barb.

Character customization is the best it's ever been in the series. Stat distribution is outdated tedium. The skill slot and rune system offers far more flexibility and customization than Diablo 1 or 2 ever did. Diablo 2 was in a consistent state of broken.

Diablo 3 has some weird stuff in it, but it is far more polished and refined than the previous games. It's not even close.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By keroppl:

Running a 4ghz Athlon II

GTX 550

8 gb ram.

Character customization is the best it's ever been in the series. Stat distribution is outdated tedium. The skill slot and rune system offers far more flexibility and customization than Diablo 1 or 2 ever did. Diablo 2 was in a consistent state of broken.

You're joking, right? Sure, there's more customization than Diablo 1, but 2? Nah.

If stat distribution is outdated, then the entire notion of stats is outdated. All they've done in Diablo 3 is make it so I can't play non-norm builds. The only choices I'm given are what runes to put in what skills and what skills to bring with me. That's pretty weak customization. Even the rune customization is given to you, with specific effects only usable after a certain level.

The game has less customization than WoW has. As you level up you make no choices. Your customization is entirely dependent on loot. Without equipment, you are identical to everybody else of the same class in the game.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By WarWeapon762:

Meh, just won't play it then.

Link Posted: 4/26/2012 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 12:12:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Credge:

Running a 4ghz Athlon II
GTX 550
8 gb ram.

You're joking, right? Sure, there's more customization than Diablo 1, but 2? Nah.

If stat distribution is outdated, then the entire notion of stats is outdated. All they've done in Diablo 3 is make it so I can't play non-norm builds. The only choices I'm given are what runes to put in what skills and what skills to bring with me. That's pretty weak customization. Even the rune customization is given to you, with specific effects only usable after a certain level.

The game has less customization than WoW has. As you level up you make no choices. Your customization is entirely dependent on loot. Without equipment, you are identical to everybody else of the same class in the game.

Stats are necessary to quantify the character in some way; that is unavoidable. Diablo 2 was so formulaic the fact you distributed them was irrelevant. Enough str/dex to wear gear, rest into vit. There were builds that eschewed that like the Dexazon, but those were mostly due to taking advantage of bugs or imbalances in the game. In order to be effective at the highest levels of the game you had to use certain builds and gear anyway. Diablo has always been about loot, and chances are save for minor variances most characters in Diablo 2 have very similar stat distributions. Hell Diablo 1 had hard caps for each class.

Just because you consciously clicked to add a point doesn't mean you had more freedom or choice. An end game build has what 1 or 2 main skills? All it serves to do is make you gimp a few characters and start over which then leads to people reading guides and following builds. People will trend towards what is most effective.

You can still play any build you want except now you don't have to reroll. The only thing I don't like is the change that made runes level unlocked rather than items you found.

I love Diablo 2 and played the shit out of it from day 1, but to say that it's system is better than Diablo 3's is just being hopelessly nostalgic. Diablo 2 was broken from day 1, and it was never really fixed. Barbs with mana? How many skills were just flat out useless(before synergies)?

In the end, it's all about balance. A game can give you infinite lives, but that fact alone doesn't mean it's easy. If the difficulty or challenge warrants it then it can still be rewarding and fun. Diablo 3 looks to be fun as hell, and with the new Inferno mode, hard as hell.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 2:22:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kitwulfen] [#18]
Stats are necessary to quantify the character in some way; that is unavoidable. Diablo 2 was so formulaic the fact you distributed them was irrelevant. Enough str/dex to wear gear, rest into vit. There were builds that eschewed that like the Dexazon, but those were mostly due to taking advantage of bugs or imbalances in the game. In order to be effective at the highest levels of the game you had to use certain builds and gear anyway. Diablo has always been about loot, and chances are save for minor variances most characters in Diablo 2 have very similar stat distributions. Hell Diablo 1 had hard caps for each class.

Just because you consciously clicked to add a point doesn't mean you had more freedom or choice. An end game build has what 1 or 2 main skills? All it serves to do is make you gimp a few characters and start over which then leads to people reading guides and following builds. People will trend towards what is most effective.

You can still play any build you want except now you don't have to reroll. The only thing I don't like is the change that made runes level unlocked rather than items you found.

I love Diablo 2 and played the shit out of it from day 1, but to say that it's system is better than Diablo 3's is just being hopelessly nostalgic. Diablo 2 was broken from day 1, and it was never really fixed. Barbs with mana? How many skills were just flat out useless(before synergies)?

In the end, it's all about balance. A game can give you infinite lives, but that fact alone doesn't mean it's easy. If the difficulty or challenge warrants it then it can still be rewarding and fun. Diablo 3 looks to be fun as hell, and with the new Inferno mode, hard as hell.

I've tried to communicate what you just explained here in this thread and the one I started in GD, but you've done it a bit more eloquently than I did.  With ~25 skills per character, 5 runes per skill, 6 active skill slots, ~15 passive skills, and 3 passive skill slots, there are literally thousands of different skill combinations.  Plenty of room for making your character unique.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 4:00:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RabidMonkeyPox] [#19]
There is plenty of room for customization based on the current design of Diablo 3 but here is the thing.
Blizzard got rid of the individual stat tree to prevent the millions of retards who will unknowingly assign the points into useless stats or sub par practically useless skills and break their character, preventing them from even beating the game.

Yeah I've seen it done, streamlines the game, allows for faster and easier gameplay, all you did in Diablo was kill, level and loot.  It was never about customization, that was an afterthought thrown in there.

If anyone argues otherwise that Diablo was designed from the ground up as the ultimate individual character customization tool then you do not know much about video games or the design theory of Blizzard toward this franchise.

It is kill-loot  get better loot to kill bigger monsters.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#20]
There is plenty of room for customization based on the current design of Diablo 3 but here is the thing.
Blizzard got rid of the individual stat tree to prevent the millions of retards who will unknowingly assign the points into useless stats or sub par practically useless skills and break their character, preventing them from even beating the game.

Yeah I've seen it done, streamlines the game, allows for faster and easier gameplay, all you did in Diablo was kill, level and loot.  It was never about customization, that was an afterthought thrown in there.

If anyone argues otherwise that Diablo was designed from the ground up as the ultimate individual character customization tool then you do not know much about video games or the design theory of Blizzard toward this franchise.

It is kill-loot  get better loot to kill bigger monsters.

It doesn't necessarily make the game easier. It just removes tedium. Assigning skill points is a very boring way to make something difficult. I rather focus on setting up my skills and fucking shit up.

The point you bring up about sub-par skills is also another reason I'm glad they're gone. In Diablo 2, your build was always about end-game. Sometimes your  character would be useless for 20 or 30 levels as you just drop 1 point into prereqs and save the rest. With Diablo 3's system, your character feels immediately useful making the gameplay experience more rewarding.

But yes, Diablo was never an in-depth RPG. I don't know where people ever got that impression unless they've never played an RPG.

Anarchy Online is a good example of stat distribution hell. I loved playing it back in the day, but I gimped a lot of characters and did lots of reading before I was able to create a good build. Time that could have been spent actually enjoying the game.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 11:03:34 PM EDT
[#21]
It didn't feel like Diablo at all.  It was made by a different design team at a different company and it showed.  You could feel the WOW oozing out of it, from skills with the same names and exact same effects as ones in WOW, to even game mechanics lifted directly from WOW with no changes.

Leveling up, and doing nothing because you don't get to make choices anymore, makes it no longer Diablo.  You're supposed to level up, and have stat and skill points to spend, and decide what you're going to do; not just keep playing because all the decisions are now made for you.

It's a bloody shame.  With the exception of Cataclysm, I own everything from the Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo franchises, but I wont be buying this one.  Blizzard broke its streak with this game.

Link Posted: 4/27/2012 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By felrom:
It didn't feel like Diablo at all.  It was made by a different design team at a different company and it showed.  You could feel the WOW oozing out of it, from skills with the same names and exact same effects as ones in WOW, to even game mechanics lifted directly from WOW with no changes.

Leveling up, and doing nothing because you don't get to make choices anymore, makes it no longer Diablo.  You're supposed to level up, and have stat and skill points to spend, and decide what you're going to do; not just keep playing because all the decisions are now made for you.

It's a bloody shame.  With the exception of Cataclysm, I own everything from the Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo franchises, but I wont be buying this one.  Blizzard broke its streak with this game.

yep.  They're trying to get casual gamers into what was a hardcore grinding game where it was easy to get your characters wrong.  I did that for a while in D2, was frustrated finally read up on strategies to get your characters leveled up properly with stats.  That was part of the experience.  It didn't bother me at all, made me want to play the game more.  

Luckily the original D1 and D2 makers are about to release TL2 which will have stats and customization for your characters, and it won't be $60.

Stat distribution is not a measure of difficulty. It's the most boring and lame way to make a game "hard".

There are far more meaningful ways to make a game challenging than relying on your ignorance of mechanics to make a mistake and gimp your character.

Look up inferno mode
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 12:17:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#26]
The details for the launch have been revealed.  The important information for those of us with pre-orders is that the game servers are going live at 12:01 AM PDT on May 15th.  Unfortunately, that means 3 AM for those of us on the East Coast.  But if you're one of the many who have taken off work for the launch, I dunno that that matters to you so much.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#28]
i guess ill pick it up.

i highly doubt it will have the staying power of diablo 2 but if i play it for a couple months ill be good.

Link Posted: 4/29/2012 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#29]

yep.  They're trying to get casual gamers into what was a hardcore grinding game where it was easy to get your characters wrong.  I did that for a while in D2, was frustrated finally read up on strategies to get your characters leveled up properly with stats.  That was part of the experience.  It didn't bother me at all, made me want to play the game more.  

Luckily the original D1 and D2 makers are about to release TL2 which will have stats and customization for your characters, and it won't be $60.

Stat distribution is not a measure of difficulty. It's the most boring and lame way to make a game "hard".

There are far more meaningful ways to make a game challenging than relying on your ignorance of mechanics to make a mistake and gimp your character.

Look up inferno mode

a mode that just makes the baddies higher levels.  way to raise the bar.

point is, strategy of how to branch your characters out has changed, we'll see how well this rune system works, maybe we'll all eat crow and it will be awesome.  

Jay Wilson explaining why they removed them

Link Posted: 5/1/2012 2:44:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Missed the open beta and saving up for a ring for my g/f might not allow me to purchase it at release.  Teh shitty...
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 5:31:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By _B_:

Looks like this guy is ready for the release.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/05/03/this-guy-is-ready-for-diablo-iii.aspx

that's awesome, sadly it wont live up to the hype.

still getting it though.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#34]
The lack of a real paladin class immediately killed this game for me. In a game series about hell and demons, a paladin is a no brainier. The monk is a lazy and overdone attempt at some Temple going, rag wearing Shaolin type fighter who uses fist weapons and then they just gave him a couple paladin abilities and call it good.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 4:17:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kitwulfen] [#35]
Originally Posted By Friendly_Crusader:
The lack of a real paladin class immediately killed this game for me. In a game series about hell and demons, a paladin is a no brainier. The monk is a lazy and overdone attempt at some Temple going, rag wearing Shaolin type fighter who uses fist weapons and then they just gave him a couple paladin abilities and call it good.

I agree that there's a bit of a hole there.  I played a lot of Paladin (and Barbarian) in D2 and Warrior in D1, and it seems to me that D3 lacks any real sword-and-board hero.  While the monk fills some of the same slots (support/auras, holy damage, melee DPS), it's not really the same and it leaves out any sort of shield-focused gameplay.  I know that's not really what you're getting at, but I'm just agreeing that the monk class is pretty meh.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By kitwulfen:

I agree that there's a bit of a hole there.  I played a lot of Paladin (and Barbarian) in D2 and Warrior in D1, and it seems to me that D3 lacks any real sword-and-board hero.  While the monk fills some of the same slots (support/auras, holy damage, melee DPS), it's not really the same and it leaves out any sort of shield-focused gameplay.  I know that's not really what you're getting at, but I'm just agreeing that the monk class is pretty meh.

I agree with your point about the shield as well.. Nothing was more awesome than running around with a charged up shield dropping fists of heaven on people.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Look up inferno mode

point is, strategy of how to branch your characters out has changed, we'll see how well this rune system works, maybe we'll all eat crow and it will be awesome.  

Those videos are BS. The skill system is design to allow retards to play D3. That the simple hard truth of the matter.

Players will still go to website and look for the best built. Players will only used/spam the best two skills available in their classes.

Blizzard even created  a website for people that wanted to share their built.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRXjkP!ZeT!ZZaaZa

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By LGK:

Look up inferno mode

Those videos are BS. The skill system is design to allow retards to play D3. That the simple hard truth of the matter.

Players will still go to website and look for the best built. Players will only used/spam the best two skills available in their classes.

Blizzard even created  a website for people that wanted to share their built.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRXjkP!ZeT!ZZaaZa

No, it is not "just so retards can play". He  explained why stat distribution made no sense, and if you played enough Diablo 2 you'd know that. I guess I have to repeat that relying on people's ignorance of mechanics to make the game hard is boring and cheap.

So what if they want to use the "best" skills? That's their choice, and isn't an argument for a broken stat distribution system.

Yes, a skill calculator. They exist for pretty much every game with skills. What's your point? That all players should keep their build in some shroud of secrecy?

In other news, some info about enemies came out. I like the jump from Hell to Inferno

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#41]

No, it is not "just so retards can play". He  explained why stat distribution made no sense, and if you played enough Diablo 2 you'd know that. I guess I have to repeat that relying on people's ignorance of mechanics to make the game hard is boring and cheap.    

The reason they removed stat distribution, regardless of what Jay Wilson says, is they wanted to have class specific gear. Stat distribution allowed for more styles of play. The problem with it in Diablo 2 is, after 5 years, everyone knew what every piece of equipment was and what stats they needed for those weapons and armor.

Diablo 2 was never difficult. Even when you spread your stats stupidly, had bad gear, and had your skill points spent everywhere, the game never got hard until Hell, and even then, not really. Any difficult parts in Diablo 2 was because of the stupid resistances they added to enemies that you may or may not have been able to hurt. Hell, you could beat the game on hardcore without ever using a single piece of equipment.

What made Diablo 2 fun wasn't the difficulty, the monsters, or the bosses. It was the loot and making your character insanely powerful. Now we have class specific items that only certain classes can wear, we have stats that are distributed for us, and our skills are given to us at specific levels and the customization they do allow us in runes are unlocked at certain levels.

The reality is that we're pigeonholed in to a very specific play style for a good number of levels. I can't play a throwing barbarian because they want me to use whirlwind until level 30.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By Credge:

The reason they removed stat distribution, regardless of what Jay Wilson says, is they wanted to have class specific gear. Stat distribution allowed for more styles of play. The problem with it in Diablo 2 is, after 5 years, everyone knew what every piece of equipment was and what stats they needed for those weapons and armor.

Diablo 2 was never difficult. Even when you spread your stats stupidly, had bad gear, and had your skill points spent everywhere, the game never got hard until Hell, and even then, not really. Any difficult parts in Diablo 2 was because of the stupid resistances they added to enemies that you may or may not have been able to hurt. Hell, you could beat the game on hardcore without ever using a single piece of equipment.  

What made Diablo 2 fun wasn't the difficulty, the monsters, or the bosses. It was the loot and making your character insanely powerful. Now we have class specific items that only certain classes can wear, we have stats that are distributed for us, and our skills are given to us at specific levels and the customization they do allow us in runes are unlocked at certain levels.

The reality is that we're pigeonholed in to a very specific play style for a good number of levels. I can't play a throwing barbarian because they want me to use whirlwind until level 30.

LoD has class specific gear, so I don't see how that's the reason at all. Diablo 2's system didn't pigeonhole you? Lol. WW wasn't unlocked til level 30 in Diablo 2, so what is your point?

Diablo 3 is still about loot and being powerful, so once again what is your point? Diablo 3 promises to actually be hard, and it's gonna be awesome.

You people act like if you aren't manually distributing your stats then the game must be easy and "for retards".

This sounds like it'll be a bitch in inferno

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#43]
as mention of a paladin sword/shield character

Demon Hunter with sword and defensive capabilites seems like it fits the bill for what you want
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#44]
According to blizzard, the demon hunter specialized in ranged combat, dual wielding and also has a dark soul etc etc.

I'm lookin for the pure hearted holy badass that drops lightning from heaven while burning demons with auras and wearing heavy armor, ya know, angel without wings if you will. Looks like they did something like that and put a follower that is a Templar into the game, but that doesnt do much.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ARdvark:
as mention of a paladin sword/shield character

Demon Hunter with sword and defensive capabilites seems like it fits the bill for what you want

Actually, I was thinking melee wizard.  You aren't sacrificing the ability to use any of your spells (like a sword-wielding Demon Hunter would, as they wouldn't be able to use any of their bow abilities) by using a sword and shield, and he has a lot of defensive abilities (that are actually more about soaking damage than dodging or avoiding it).  It's not perfect, and the abilities don't actually have anything to do with shields, and you're at a bit of a disadvantage due to lacking the hidden 30% extra damage resistance that the barbarian and monk get, but when I tried it it was a lot of fun.

And even if it turns out to be totally terrible, it's just a slight gear switch and skill switch to try something else with the wizard.

On a separate note, Blizz put this article up detailing some more things about the launch.  The important bits of info to take away are:

>You can install the preload and 1.0.1 patch starting at 8:01AM PDT on May 14th.
>If you want to play in a region other than the one you are in, you can do so as soon as the Americas region launches (12:01AM PDT May 15th).
>You may encounter delays of up to 40 seconds while trying to log in on launch day, or error 37.  Don't give up, keep spamming the login button, they will be adjusting the login rates to bring things online in a stable manner.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#46]

But it's blizzard, and they've yet to disappoint with any major product release.

True enough.

I'm going to buy it, it's just a question of if I want to try to flip my Collecter's Edition on eBay, or keep it for myself...
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 11:27:46 PM EDT
[#47]
According to blizzard, the demon hunter specialized in ranged combat, dual wielding and also has a dark soul etc etc.

I'm lookin for the pure hearted holy badass that drops lightning from heaven while burning demons with auras and wearing heavy armor, ya know, angel without wings if you will. Looks like they did something like that and put a follower that is a Templar into the game, but that doesnt do much.

you people are ridiculous. I WON"T PLAY IF I CAN"T PLAY AS A PALADIN!

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 12:18:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Friendly_Crusader] [#48]
Originally Posted By shiky:

What do you mean, "you people"?

There's nothing ridiculous about having expectations. There comes a point where "artistic vision" turns good things into shit, look at mass effect 3, dragon age 2, and plenty of other games. If people keep accepting what they get even if it sucks it will only get worse. I am not saying the game will e terrible, I'm just saying I personally lost interest in it because they pulled the paladin, among other things. If enough people say that, the expansion will have a paladin
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By shiky:

What do you mean, "you people"?

There's nothing ridiculous about having expectations. There comes a point where "artistic vision" turns good things into shit, look at mass effect 3, dragon age 2, and plenty of other games. If people keep accepting what they get even if it sucks it will only get worse. I am not saying the game will e terrible, I'm just saying I personally lost interest in it because they pulled the paladin, among other things. If enough people say that, the expansion will have a paladin

maybe its just because i never played as a paladin, but i don't see the big deal. did you play the beta? I enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#50]
have they ever made a patch so i can play D2 on windows 7 64 bit?

TXL
Page / 32
Diablo 3 Official Thread (Page 2 of 32)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top