Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 3:51:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By bradinator:
Anybody else get a Beta key for the weekend?

I'm hoping my CPU comes in on friday, otherwise I will have to play it on the laptop and hope for the best.  

I got my beta key yesterday.  I did the install overnight.  I can't wait to try it out.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 6:05:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By bradinator:

Anybody else get a Beta key for the weekend?

I'm hoping my CPU comes in on friday, otherwise I will have to play it on the laptop and hope for the best.  

Yep...finally got my invite.  Took the weekend off.  Been dying to drive this thing for a couple of months now.  

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#3]
yep i got my invite for this weekend too. i'm excited.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#4]
got my invite as well.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Got another invite for a future date, looks like everybody that applied for beta is going to be in a jumbo beta near the end of the month.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By nsw8148:
Got another invite for a future date, looks like everybody that applied for beta is going to be in a jumbo beta near the end of the month.

Ah, that's what that is. I thought it was just a glitch in the email system and was intended for this weekend. Works for me... assuming I can get in tonight. No luck so far. I saw the toon builder once, haven't made it into a server yet.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SniperKage:

Ah, that's what that is. I thought it was just a glitch in the email system and was intended for this weekend. Works for me... assuming I can get in tonight. No luck so far. I saw the toon builder once, haven't made it into a server yet.

This weekend is the stress test. And the servers are very much stressed...
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 103:

Extremely. I've been sitting in a cue, with no counter, for about an hour.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Same here. I'm about to give up and go to the bar with friends. I'll try to log in again tomorrow sometime. Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Same here. I'm about to give up and go to the bar with friends. I'll try to log in again tomorrow sometime. Good luck!

I'm about to drink beer, then play BF3 with my usual Friday night group, so TOR is gonna have to wait.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 9:35:36 PM EDT
[#11]
in queue now as well..if you shut down and restart after a few minutes you can try another server..i'm down to 300.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 11:17:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By NickJ2:
in queue now as well..if you shut down and restart after a few minutes you can try another server..i'm down to 300.

I've tried over a dozen times and can't get back to the server select screen. 5 hours in the line. I hit alt-f4.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By shiky:

60 bucks PLUS a subscription fee... this shit better be good.

Might consider it at some point. I do have some friends playing.

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Welp played the game for a bit yesterday and have some observations.

The combat system is a little sluggish/laggy. With no auto-engage feature, you have to manually target each new enemy and if you are playing a saber wielding class this can bleed precious time with having to turn around, target and engage them. With enemies often spread out you can find yourself in a world of hurt as you have to close the distance with each. Suffice to say my first play through with a Sith Inquisitor was not enjoyable.

Graphics are about 5 years out of date. Even with everything turn to the max it does not look any better than KoTor.

Storyline is pretty good so far. It gives the feel of playing KoTor in an MMORPG instead of the normal grind like WoW.

Voice-acting is superb, and you get lots of good lines to choose from during cutscenes.

Moral decisions are also pretty good and you can lean pretty far in terms of light and dark in either faction.

Gear- Meh, maybe I have not got far enough, but when I get a hutt-ese jacket, and then get a spicer -reinforced jacket, they should look different when I put them on.

Character creation- sucks ballz. If you want to be a human its decent, but every other race is bad, the twi'leks all look the same (you can't even reposition their lekku). Cyborg is a useless filler race (humans with metal face jewelry), and the others are just as bad.

So far I give it a 6/10. Good, but not great. Nothing really innovative besides the full voice acting. IMHO they should have taken the combat system from Tabula Rasa if they wanted things to be exciting.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Gelgoog:
Welp played the game for a bit yesterday and have some observations.

The combat system is a little sluggish/laggy. With no auto-engage feature, you have to manually target each new enemy and if you are playing a saber wielding class this can bleed precious time with having to turn around, target and engage them. With enemies often spread out you can find yourself in a world of hurt as you have to close the distance with each. Suffice to say my first play through with a Sith Inquisitor was not enjoyable.

Character creation- sucks ballz. If you want to be a human its decent, but every other race is bad, the twi'leks all look the same (you can't even reposition their lekku). Cyborg is a useless filler race (humans with metal face jewelry), and the others are just as bad.

There's an option to auto-target nearest enemy when you attack. It greatly speeds things up. Turn that on, then use the lunge attack to right up on 'em.

And, yes, the character creator sucks bad. Hopefully they just threw something together there.

I'm pretty sure we're looking at simplified graphics. I've seen some screenshots I probably shouldn't have seen (friends at Bioware) and they looked way better. Today I'm going to try something, though. Atl-enter to go into a window, then drag it across all 3 monitors. Usually that blows up whatever I'm running, and I expect the same this time, but it'll be really cool looking.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Playing a basic trooper at the moment. About to log and try something Sith.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#17]
i'm done. i'm super excited to get it now, but i'm tired for tonight so i'm done. Got my Knight specialized to Sentinel, and ended on coruscant. i like everything about this game.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 3:44:48 AM EDT
[#18]
That was fun, but it's about to make my life expensive. I need at least one new monitor so I can run the thing in 4320 x 900. I got to level 12 with a Jedi Sentinel and a pair of red sabers and all that damn running got real old, real fast. They need to add personal vehicles. When I started SWG the mounts and vehicles were new and not everyone had one. I spent the first couple of weeks running everywhere. Screw that.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#19]

That was fun, but it's about to make my life expensive. I need at least one new monitor so I can run the thing in 4320 x 900. I got to level 12 with a Jedi Sentinel and a pair of red sabers and all that damn running got real old, real fast. They need to add personal vehicles. When I started SWG the mounts and vehicles were new and not everyone had one. I spent the first couple of weeks running everywhere. Screw that.

yeah I hope they add vehicles somewhat from the start.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2011 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By metalsaber:

Buy the $80 pack and you get a STAP.

"The STAP is a sleek and unique in-game vehicle you will acquire during your journeys"

Link Posted: 11/14/2011 11:37:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: metalsaber] [#21]

Originally Posted By Troubl3shooter:

"The STAP is a sleek and unique in-game vehicle you will acquire during your journeys"
http://drh.img.digitalriver.com/DRHM/Storefront/Site/ea/pb/images/swtor/preorder/stap.png

Sweet.  I have the collectors edition on pre-order.

I remember SWG not having vehicles or mounts at the beginning.  It made travel tedious but someone fun at the same time.  

Anyone consider getting an ARFCOM guild together or attempting to play on the same server?  

I have about 5 or 6 people going to play this.  We are going imperial.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2011 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I finally got beta access... right as Skyrim came out. I'm too busy playing Skyrim to care. I'll check it out after I beat it though.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#23]

http://drh.img.digitalriver.com/DRHM/Storefront/Site/ea/pb/images/swtor/preorder/stap.png

Sweet.  I have the collectors edition on pre-order.

I remember SWG not having vehicles or mounts at the beginning.  It made travel tedious but someone fun at the same time.  

Anyone consider getting an ARFCOM guild together or attempting to play on the same server?  

I have about 5 or 6 people going to play this.  We are going imperial.  

This is going to sound nuts, but one of my fondest memories of WoW was running my L1 Orc ALLLLLLLLLL the way across the barrens so I could start in the Tauren start zone with my wife's toon on launch day.  In vanilla 1.0, roads were not safe and I died a dozen times along the route trying to dodge the barrens critters.

Running around an MMO is not *all* bad.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Pre-ordered my digital deluxe copy over the weekend.  I will be off for two weeks right as the early game access starts, so I'm looking forward to some marathon gaming
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I am crazy stoked for release after playing in the beta this weekend and I'm curious to see what changes will be made in the next beta weekend.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#26]

I had completely forgotten about that. I preordered CE, so I'm set.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#27]
i just can't justify dropping $150 on it, and i'm a huge star wars fan. i'll probably get the $80 one... does anyone know if it'll come with the first month free?
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#28]

i just can't justify dropping $150 on it, and i'm a huge star wars fan. i'll probably get the $80 one... does anyone know if it'll come with the first month free?

Yes, it comes with 30 days included.

Link Posted: 11/14/2011 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I got an invitation for beta last weekend but wasn't able to get on to play at all....
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Got an email today that everyone that applied for the beta before the 11th will be invited in the next couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#31]

I doubt that you'll get it right off the bat

Link Posted: 11/14/2011 11:07:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Why not?  You get the mount right off the bat in Rift when you purchase that edition.

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:05:05 AM EDT
[#33]

I just had a bad thought. They're gonna make it do nothing but replace whatever speeder you get from the travel pad things, which means I'll still have to run my ass off all over the damn place.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#34]
I've been trying to avoid looking at this game so as not to continue to waste my life, but some friends talked me into, looks amazing! I'm excited to try out the Imperial Agent - Operative - Concealment tree, dunno if the lightsabers and force appeal to me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#35]
you guys get your beta keys redeemed? today is last day before the big weekend next week.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Who alls playing?  Got in this morning at 7 and have been playing a smuggler.

SWTOR, Thanksgiving leftovers, and sipping on scotch is going to make for a perfect day
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 6:04:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: metalsaber] [#37]
Got in around 11am est. played 5 hrs straight. Haha.  

I'm hooked and will have no life this winter.  I got to level 8 for my sith warrior.  I'm not sure I want to play anymore for fear of ruining the game when it launches.

Link Posted: 11/25/2011 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm set for tomorrow morning at 10:00 AM CST.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#39]

Try logging in early.  I was scheduled for 12est and was able to log in around 11am.

Link Posted: 11/25/2011 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Same here.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 3:02:45 AM EDT
[#41]
they didn't wipe the servers. you get to continue on the character you created previously.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 3:12:54 AM EDT
[#42]

they didn't wipe the servers. you get to continue on the character you created previously.

I had all of mine erased

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 3:17:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Bastards took the servers down for a "short" time for maintenance.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#44]
I like it playing as a sith inquisitor. Here goes my life again.  I can't wait. I think my wife is already pissed off.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#45]
I had all intentions to play as a Sith warrior.  After testing the inquisitor today, I'm changing to that as well.  

Originally Posted By INFIDEL74:
I like it playing as a sith inquisitor. Here goes my life again.  I can't wait. I think my wife is already pissed off.

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#46]
I've been wanting to see a Sith Inquisitor progression video for a while now, but they haven't posted any that I know of. Sucks man.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Did they dial back the resolution options? I'm clicking on 1600x1050 but there's not a whole lot of difference from the start up resolution.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 7:42:28 AM EDT
[#48]

Did they dial back the resolution options? I'm clicking on 1600x1050 but there's not a whole lot of difference from the start up resolution.

Not really sure.  I've been playing on 1920x1080 and seems pretty decent, but I've turn a lot of the other settings to high.  

Link Posted: 11/27/2011 1:09:24 PM EDT
[#49]

Not really sure.  I've been playing on 1920x1080 and seems pretty decent, but I've turn a lot of the other settings to high.  

I think my problem is that the UI doesn't scale and you can't adjust it.

Link Posted: 11/27/2011 1:16:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: metalsaber] [#50]
Biggest complaint right now is the Anti-Alias is disabled.  Getting tons of it when I visited Kaas (?) with all the sharp edges.
Anyone seen an advanced class tree "configurator"?  With 40~ advanced skill points to put into 3 trees, I was hoping there would be a website out there that lets you do a simulation of applying your advanced skill points to see where all to put them ahead of time instead of making shit up and hoping to pick a good path.  I do think you can respec your advanced class, but rather do it right the 1st time around.   I want to do the Sith Sorcerer with main focus on the lightning tree and some in the healing tree.  That way I can still dish out dmg and heal group members.  
I know when I played SWG there were a few sites setup to let you simulate it and show you want you end up with.
Looks like I found a calculator

http://r2-db.com/skill-tree/calculator

Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top