Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 1:24:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ajek] [#1]
Originally Posted By skygod:

Originally Posted By Ajek:

It looks very much like a cookie cutter mmo, building on World of Warcraft's formula.  The major difference is that "story" is supposed to be a major part of the game - more so than any other mmo.

I'm extremely disappointed that Bounty Hunters and Smugglers - two classes that should be able to pick a side or no side - are faction specific.  In fact, there is no "neutral" and you have to pick a side.

I'll play it, for sure, but only because this is as close to KOTOR 3 as we'll ever get.

One final, minor gripe.  The in-game Imperial symbol looks a lot like that of the Republic/Empire in the movies.  They may explain it at some point, but it makes little sense to me.

You can stay neutral as far as light side / dark side go.  For example, you can be a light side BH and a dark side smuggler.  You can be a dark jedi and a light sith.  

I would say WoW was a successful MMO (not the first to do everything), they did get alot of things right.  Would you agree that those things should be used and junk the stuff that didnt work?

As far as the symbol goes, I think its a Sith thing.  So you would see it in the Sith Empire as well as the Galactic Empire, since they were both ruled by Sith.

Light/dark side is fine, but your class is always restricted to a specific faction.  You can't be a Smuggler and fight for the Sith.

Regarding the cookie cutter comment: I only meant to point out that it doesn't look revolutionary (story aside), and has many of WoW's weaknesses as well as the strengths (character being restricted to a faction high on my list of weaknesses).
I played the heck out of WoW until a couple of years ago, so I understand copying the formula.

The symbol was used by the Republic in the Prequel Trilogy.

Originally Posted By metalsaber:
I thought they were adding a Hutt faction?  I also saw where you can play as a neutral Jedi.  Not sure why they couldn't do the same.

Are you referring to the April Fool's joke about the Sarlacc Enforcer class?  At any rate, I didn't mean to imply there should be a third faction, only the choice to be "no faction."

See above regarding light/dark side and faction.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 12:10:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The on foot combat sequances did not look all that impressive. They looked alot like Star Trek online does and that got boring fast
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 8:43:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: skygod] [#3]

Originally Posted By cwm1150:

The on foot combat sequances did not look all that impressive. They looked alot like Star Trek online does and that got boring fast

Its Beta.  There is at least one new build out this week on test as well as more builds in house.

ETA: Check these out.

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 10:55:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BludFan85] [#4]
Have they given a reason that they decided to go with an extremely low poly graphic style?  It looks like TF2.

I watched the videos posted above and the animations remind me of DAOC, very forced and clunky.  I am looking forward to giving it a try though to see if the combat feels fluid and meaty.  because at this point that looks to be the only thing going for it.

The story feature is cool but it just seems so time consuming.  I really liked it in Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age Origins but I really dont see it playing out well in an MMO.

[edited for typos and clarity]

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#5]

I was just watching this one today. Im in a gaming drought right now and going through withdraws so Ill be picking this title up (hopefully this year)

So who is heading the ARFCOM guild for this game?

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BludFan85:
Have they given a reason that they decided to go with an extremely low poly graphic style?  It looks like TF2.
I watched the videos posted above and the animations remind me of DAOC, very forced and clunky.  I am looking forward to giving it a try though to see if the combat feels fluid and meaty.  because at this point that looks to be the only thing going for it.

The story feature is cool but it just seems so time consuming.  I really liked it in Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age Origins but I really dont see it playing out well in an MMO.

probably to allow more objects on screen at a time without requiring massive processing ability.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By shiky:

probably to allow more objects on screen at a time without requiring massive processing ability.

+1

One of the developers' goals was to make the game as accessible as possible, in part with reasonably low system requirements
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Just bought this.

I have never seen Star Wars but the game looks really fun...

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TheJacket:
Just bought this.

are you fuckin serious? get your ass to blockbuster right now and rent all six of them
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Just bought this.

are you fuckin serious? get your ass to blockbuster right now and rent all six of them

But watch them in the following order Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Phantom Menance, Attack fo the Clones, Revenge of the Sith.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:

Just bought this.

But watch them in the following order Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Phantom Menance, Attack fo the Clones, Revenge of the Sith.

+1

The correct way.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 4:12:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Just bought this.

+1

The correct way.

I don't really like Sci-Fi movies.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Just bought this.

+1

The correct way.

I don't really like Sci-Fi movies.

And what exactly is Sci-Fi? That term covers so much stuff it's an almost meaningless term.

Star Wars is a fantasy just like LOTR. The only difference is cold steel has been replaced with hot glowing plasma and wizards are called Jedi and use something called "The Force" instead of magic.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#14]
You havent seen any star wars. How....
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TPK0999:

Just never had the urge to watch them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#16]

The Star Wars movies are so influential and have had such a huge impact on culture (especially the Original Trilogy - Episodes IV-VI), that you should watch them for that reason alone, if none other.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#17]

The Star Wars movies are so influential and have had such a huge impact on culture (especially the Original Trilogy - Episodes IV-VI), that you should watch them for that reason alone, if none other.

Seriously. Trust us. Go rent them and watch them with a clear head and open mind.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I can't wait for this game, bounty hunter for the win baby!
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Seriously. Trust us. Go rent them and watch them with a clear head and open mind.

Do they exist in DVD format?

I don't have one of those VCR things.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By TripleC:

I was just watching this one today. Im in a gaming drought right now and going through withdraws so Ill be picking this title up (hopefully this year)

Not really the ARFCOM guild, but some old friends of mine from the SWG days (Naritus) as well as EQ2 (Butcherblock) have a crew already setup.  You guys are welcome to apply.

Check it out:

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 11:24:05 PM EDT
[#21]
You could join The BloodFang Syndicate. Sith welcomed.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:44:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By TripleC:

Not really the ARFCOM guild, but some old friends of mine from the SWG days (Naritus) as well as EQ2 (Butcherblock) have a crew already setup.  You guys are welcome to apply.  

Check it out:

I'll look into it closer to release.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:52:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Anyone interested in the Imperial Agent Class?  Specifically the Sniper variant?  Looks like there is a further "Marksman" specialization.  That has to appeal to some people around here.  I know I want to give it a whirl.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:24:08 AM EDT
[#24]
One of the guys I work with was considering it.  Still got a few months to determine what to finalize as.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Woody600:
Anyone interested in the Imperial Agent Class?  Specifically the Sniper variant?  Looks like there is a further "Marksman" specialization.  That has to appeal to some people around here.  I know I want to give it a whirl.

I would be, but I'll be playing Republic classes...at least for a while.  I was going to play a smuggler (that's my favorite from SWG), but I don't like the way the class looks in TOR.  One of the aesthetic reasons is I really don't like dual wielding pistols (one of the BH specs has the same look), but I also don't like the look of some of the class mechanics - that may change when I get a chance to actually play the class.

I'll most likely be playing a Jedi Consular first, and if I like it, I'll spec healing at endgame.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:52:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Buckeye67] [#26]

I'm definitely interested in the Agent/Sniper thing. I think it looks pretty cool.

I'm going to try out the Bounty Hunter (Merc) initially, but I'll roll an Agent and an Inquisitor (heal spec) as well.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#27]

I would be, but I'll be playing Republic classes...at least for a while.  I was going to play a smuggler (that's my favorite from SWG), but I don't like the way the class looks in TOR.  One of the aesthetic reasons is I really don't like dual wielding pistols (one of the BH specs has the same look), but I also don't like the look of some of the class mechanics - that may change when I get a chance to actually play the class.

I'll most likely be playing a Jedi Consular first, and if I like it, I'll spec healing at endgame.

Only the Gunslinger Advanced Class of Smuggler uses 2 pistols.  The other one (Scoundrel) is a healer / utility type.  That one only uses one pistol at a time, or a shotgun.

Link Posted: 8/17/2011 9:45:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: skygod] [#28]
Gamescomm footage from yesterday.

This is the first raid in the game, Eternity Vault.

Link Posted: 8/17/2011 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#29]
looking cool
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Was hoping this might find its way to the 360.  Just can't justify the comparative cost of a qualified PC rig for gaming.
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#31]
The Eternity Vault clip looks great.  Everything I see about the game gets me more jazzed up for it.

On a side note, has anyone read any of the SW:TOR novels (Fatal Alliance and Deceived)?
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By Buckeye67:

The Eternity Vault clip looks great.  Everything I see about the game gets me more jazzed up for it.

On a side note, has anyone read any of the SW:TOR novels (Fatal Alliance and Deceived)?

Deceived was pretty decent.  I have not read Fatal Alliance, but have read some reviews complaining that it sucks bad.

Link Posted: 8/17/2011 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Deceived was pretty decent.  I have not read Fatal Alliance, but have read some reviews complaining that it sucks bad.  

Thanks, I'm thinking I'll check them out to help pass the time between now and launch day.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Thanks, I'm thinking I'll check them out to help pass the time between now and launch day.

Then I would definitely recommend Deceived.

Its in the iBooks store.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 1:07:10 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

Was hoping this might find its way to the 360.  Just can't justify the comparative cost of a qualified PC rig for gaming.

an xbox 360 is the equivalent to a top of the line gaming computer of about 7 years ago... one of those today would run you about $400 today.

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Huttball

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I preordered my copy. How the hell do I reserve my character names, etc? I heard you could do that.

an xbox 360 is the equivalent to a top of the line gaming computer of about 7 years ago... one of those today would run you about $400 today.

More like you could probably get a hand me down for free.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By Alien:

I preordered my copy. How the hell do I reserve my character names, etc? I heard you could do that.

i don't think you can reserve your name.  Name would be based on which server you choose.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 2:00:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: skygod] [#39]

Originally Posted By metalsaber:
Originally Posted By Alien:

i don't think you can reserve your name.  Name would be based on which server you choose.  

If you pre-ordered and registered your code, you get early access to the game.  Part of this access is the chance to create your character before everyone else and secure your toon names.

Early access is determined by when you register your code in reference to when they opened up the pre-orders.  The earlier you register, the earlier you get to play.

ETA: The smuggler looks kickass in those Hutball vids.

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Smuggler Vid with commentary.

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Smuggler Vid with commentary.

Looks really good.

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Was on the fence about preordering because my unit was suppose to go to Afghanistan early next year, but it got canceled. Got my preorder in - are we going to have an arfcom guild, or what?
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By DocBach:
Was on the fence about preordering because my unit was suppose to go to Afghanistan early next year, but it got canceled. Got my preorder in - are we going to have an arfcom guild, or what?

Like I said eariler. I have a guild "The bloodfang syndicate" that all is welcomed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Myself and some old SWG vets have a republic crew already started. All are welcome to apply.
http://republicindustries.guildlaunch.com

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Is anyone else compulsively checking their email every day for a beta invite like I am?
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#46]

Myself and some old SWG vets have a republic crew already started. All are welcome to apply.

Sent in an application, couldn't think of a cool name to name my character so I guess I'll use the randomly generated one I used in SWG.

On a different note, apparently gamestop ran out of preorder early access codes.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 8:19:29 AM EDT
[#47]

Sent in an application, couldn't think of a cool name to name my character so I guess I'll use the randomly generated one I used in SWG.

On a different note, apparently gamestop ran out of preorder early access codes.

Got your app.  I replied to the thread.

Link Posted: 8/27/2011 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Check your emails, gentlemen.

Just got my beta invite and am downloading the client.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#50]
MEE TOO !!!!!!!!
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top