Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2017 8:16:52 PM EDT
48 years old, been doing starting strength for about 6 weeks.  Love the program, but having issues with my squat.  

I have a sort of a bum left knee, had reconstructive surgery 25 + years ago, pain comes and goes.  I can ski on it, but can't take any impact, i.e. running.  Golf also hurts.

The issue I'm having is low bar squats just kill my elbows.  I've tried to work through the pain, but it's so bad I can't do my other lifts after I squat because my elbows hurt too much.  Thumbless grip really hurts, hands around bar hurts my wrists.  Maybe I'm old and can't take any pain

Tried ibuprofen, stretching, ice,  no avail.  I have kind of a long torso and my shoulders are kind of rolled forward.

Tried switching to high bar squats, which solves the elbow problem, but seems to put strain on my bum knee.  

About to give up the program altogether, hoping someone here can help.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Switch to high bar is good imo, but you need to squat all the way to the bottom or the knee might hurt.  At least it's that way for me.

Post video and check your ankle mobility.  You need to flex over the foot quite a ways to get a good squat.  Go really light weight and get into the deepest squat you can, your knees will love you.

Where in UT are you?  There's a few guys up in the metro area that might help you.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to have bad elbow pain, it eventually just went away.
I would also recommend high bar. have you tried any knee sleeves?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Switch to high bar is good imo, but you need to squat all the way to the bottom or the knee might hurt.  At least it's that way for me.

Post video and check your ankle mobility.  You need to flex over the foot quite a ways to get a good squat.  Go really light weight and get into the deepest squat you can, your knees will love you.

Where in UT are you?  There's a few guys up in the metro area that might help you.
View Quote
Thanks for the reply.  I live in West Jordan.  I will try to get a video posted up in the next few days.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I used to have bad elbow pain, it eventually just went away.
I would also recommend high bar. have you tried any knee sleeves?
View Quote
yes, I got some from Rogue fitness.  They help some, but still get pain right under kneecap.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you gotten a lot stronger in a short amount of time?

When I started working out again, and again later when I had a nice breakthrough, I had some popping and slight discomfort in my patella. I was told it was because your muscles can progress faster than your joints at times, and that taking it easy for a week or so would help. Boom, never had any problems since.

That's my experience, YMMV.

ETA, I'm also slightly unbalanced towards my right side in almost everything. Another poster mentioned being out of balance and I agree that it's probably a factor.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

yes, I got some from Rogue fitness.  They help some, but still get pain right under kneecap.
View Quote
Patellar Tendonitis maybe?  I know a lot of people that are runners get that and it's frequently caused by your muscles being imbalanced.  Keep with the squats (but maybe a short break is a good idea) and your hamstring and quads will balance out, evening out the tension on the patella and it quits hurting.

You're 48?  Take it slow, it's all about not getting hurt and listening to the body at that age.  I'm 42 and it's frustrating to feel like you want to ramp up and kick some ass, and can't.  Make sure your focus is long term gains and good health is the best way to get long term gains.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#7]
You are griping the bar wrong if you have elbow pain.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm 45.
Was talking to a pretty ripped guy at my gym the other day.  He told me he was 50.  He said at 45 the wheels start falling off the cart.
I'm 5 months post rotator cuff disasters.   Don't get me started.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You are griping the bar wrong if you have elbow pain.
View Quote
Says the young guy, lol
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:45:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Deload fix your form and work back up. Let all the supporting muscles and connective tissue catch up to your large muscles.

I don't give a shit about numbers so if my form gets stupid or i start getting weird pains i do the above. When i get back to the weight i was at it feels easy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:16:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Says the young guy, lol
View Quote
Wider grip palms on bar.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Try straps around the bar maybe?

Low bar is notorious for causing elbow pain. I've seen countless elite powerlifters gripe about it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:12:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Use a wider grip.  Use a buffalo bar or safety bar of available to you.  If not use straps on the bar ala Max Aita.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#14]
id like to see your form etc. got a video?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#15]
If your posture is with the shoulders rolled fwd, then you should address that.  Band pull aparts and lots more back work and much LESS bench press/pressing movements.  Take time to work on getting into position for low bar squats.  Load the bar with some decent weight, just to hold things in the low bar position (such as a pair of 45's on the bar for #135.)  Try getting into position with a wider hand position (thumbless).  Stretch into it, maybe unrack the weight but don't squat it.  Just stand there and let it help stretch your shoulders back.  Do this daily, to see if you can loosen things up enough to go low bar.  It may help too, for you to not do any dedicated arm work for a while to save your elbows.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#16]
55 year old here. Both knees have been surgically repaired . I have two bulging disks in my lower back that will be under the knife sooner rather than later. I ask this question based on experience, have you ever tried front squats?  No grip required, bar simply rests across the front of your shoulders.  Takes a bit of time to get used to the weight being in front of you, but they are fantastic quad builders.  Also takes less weight to work your quads just as much as back squats. Another trick I use is partial squats.  Before anybody jumps on me for being one of "them", I'm not talking about only going 1/4 of the way down and then back up again.  I'm talking about only doing the LOWER half of the squat.  Again, takes far less weight to get a good burn in the quads and hams. Try that for a few reps and you'll be crying like a baby.  

Front Squat form
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If your posture is with the shoulders rolled fwd, then you should address that.  Band pull aparts and lots more back work and much LESS bench press/pressing movements.  Take time to work on getting into position for low bar squats.  Load the bar with some decent weight, just to hold things in the low bar position (such as a pair of 45's on the bar for #135.)  Try getting into position with a wider hand position (thumbless).  Stretch into it, maybe unrack the weight but don't squat it.  Just stand there and let it help stretch your shoulders back.  Do this daily, to see if you can loosen things up enough to go low bar.  It may help too, for you to not do any dedicated arm work for a while to save your elbows.
View Quote
Wow lot's of good advice here, thanks everyone.  I'll be out of town for a few days, but I'll try to get a video up when I get back.

This I think is the core issue.  It hurts my elbows just to get under the bar with palms on top and straight wrists with my thumbs at the 32" marks.  

If I try to widen out any farther, I have trouble stabilizing the bar on my back and it wants to  move all around.

I will definitely try this, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Use a wider grip.  Use a buffalo bar or safety bar of available to you.  If not use straps on the bar ala Max Aita.
View Quote
No safety bar or buffalo bar, I will look into the straps, though thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Patellar Tendonitis maybe?  I know a lot of people that are runners get that and it's frequently caused by your muscles being imbalanced.  Keep with the squats (but maybe a short break is a good idea) and your hamstring and quads will balance out, evening out the tension on the patella and it quits hurting.

You're 48?  Take it slow, it's all about not getting hurt and listening to the body at that age.  I'm 42 and it's frustrating to feel like you want to ramp up and kick some ass, and can't.  Make sure your focus is long term gains and good health is the best way to get long term gains.
View Quote
Yeah, mentally I feel like I'm stuck at 18, lol, but the body not so much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top